• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] Fairmont / Sunchaser / Northwynd official thread with lawsuit info!

Huckleberry

Reaction score
I realize this has been a disaster, but losing our heads and attacking each other only serves to harm ourselves.

Yes. Wankel, and the Northwynd (etc) organizations screwed us all over and played the system perfectly. There is a mountain of evidence around unethical and quite possibly illegal practices. It appears only Richard Gotfried seems to care about what happened outside of the people affected, and only a UCP government in Alberta will have any probability of any justice coming from this. It is unfortunate we live in such times where apathy or victim hood is stronger than a sense of fairness in society and current Government today.

But I doubt any money will ever be recovered here from anyone who was a time share owner. It tastes like acid in my mouth to say it, but they have completely won. They have taken the mountain of our money and buried it likely overseas, and then wildly profited from the free real estate windfall. They have screwed over the timeshare owners, the investors ,and apparently even their lawyer and have made hundreds of millions of dollars for their unconscionable behaviour with zero accountability.

If you have been paying attention, there is starting to crop up a small handful of lawsuits against Geldert in small claims court. A few people have lead the way and as it was pointed out for a few dollars you can download the lawsuit and claims. If you feel that Geldert has wronged you and caused damages to you financially or otherwise by his actions, this would seem to be an avenue for you to consider. It will be interesting to see if people are individually willing to step up for themselves and realize all the pieces resulting from hundreds of hours of work from others that is available at their fingertips. But everyone also has to realize they have to do at least some of the work themselves.

I am personally surprised the number of lawsuits isn't currently in the hundreds or even a thousand against Geldert. But maybe everyone is still under the false hope that some shining knight will swoop in and make this all better, or perhaps most people don't feel that Geldert caused them harm with his actions.

I would caution anyone considering this to realize there is some time sensitivity due to time limitations for initiating a lawsuit. If you are going to act, now would be a good time to get digging in. There is nothing wrong with grouping together with others who desire a similar action plan and outcome but filing individual lawsuits.

Whatever your decision, good luck to everyone and I wish you the best. But please stop hoping for some white knight to ride in and hit the reset button. It's just simply not going to happen.

If your last name is Wankel or Geldert, I can only say I hope you get everything that you deserve.

- Huck

MarcieL

Reaction score
Perhaps many are suffering from timeshare exhaustion, and as for me i don't have any remaining $$ to launch law suits, due to a hefty invoice of nearly 40 grand, in our 70's. I think it is presumptuous on your part to state, that we are hoping for a white knight to ride in and save us, most realize that isn't going to happen. As for the hundred of hours of work put in by others, that was their choice and for their own benefit, kudos to them. Many of us have lives outside of this ongoing saga, and sadly would like to move on, for our remaining years.

Jack0123

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmount BC
Perhaps many are suffering from timeshare exhaustion, and as for me i don't have any remaining $$ to launch law suits, due to a hefty invoice of nearly 40 grand, in our 70's. I think it is presumptuous on your part to state, that we are hoping for a white knight to ride in and save us, most realize that isn't going to happen. As for the hundred of hours of work put in by others, that was their choice and for their own benefit, kudos to them. Many of us have lives outside of this ongoing saga, and sadly would like to move on, for our remaining years.
We have not paid any money since 2013, except to Geldert whish was a disaster, which we all know, We are in the 5% interest group and have been speaking to Karen at Northwynd, she has asked us to make a proposal that she can take to management, I assume that the price is not up to negotiate but perhaps some kind of payment plan. Just curious if anyone else has had the same discussion with Northwynd
Just want for this nighmare to pass, we are in our late 70ies and this is something we can afford, Jack

Jack0123

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmount BC
We are still technical owners at Fairmont, have not paid any monies since 2013, we are in the 5% Interest rate which has dropped us for about 35,000 owing down to 20,000. Have spoke to Northwynd and they was us to submit an offer to get out of this mess. Has anyone negotiated with Northwynd directly, We are attempting an offer but do not want to leave any money on the table..any advise would be appreciated.. Thanks Jack

servemeout

Reaction score
Jack0123, most times the person that mentions money first, sets the negotiations. The first person to set an amount set both the minimum and the maximum depending on if you are selling or buying. Ask them to give you a settlement amount. Keep in mind that the five percent rate ruling is Only 5% per year not compounded. We did a spread sheet on what we would owe. The Fees in 2014 were $949.80 with the interest being $47.49 for the year. In 2015 MF were $1004.45 with interest being $50.23. It is not uncommon for lending institutions to accept as low as 10 -15% on the dollar. Like it or not they have done what they wanted to do, grab the land and sell it off. We still have the opinion that what we had left in lease years was worth something and it was, just not to us, only Wankel got the benefit. Hope this may help.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Northwynd/Northmont/Sunchaser
Thank you for your time Truth! I hope you share it with the Law Society of British Columbia! I do feel duped and embarrassed , ashamed and victimized. We paid out so much money to this scam that we will never recover from it. Our previous experience with lawyers was limited but positive. I still believe we had a great case, just the absolute bottom of the barrel representation. Geldert is incompetent and a liar. I’m still hoping he gets what he deserves.

truthr

Reaction score
Thank you for your time Truth! I hope you share it with the Law Society of British Columbia! I do feel duped and embarrassed , ashamed and victimized. We paid out so much money to this scam that we will never recover from it. Our previous experience with lawyers was limited but positive. I still believe we had a great case, just the absolute bottom of the barrel representation. Geldert is incompetent and a liar. I’m still hoping he gets what he deserves.
Thanks Palms to pines :wave:

My time has been taken up with going to Edmonton to work with new lawyers to defend Judge Young's 5% interest ruling for pre2004 contracts that Northmont appealed in addition to researching as to whether an appeal of her original decision was viable. Fortunately we won the cross appeal, due to sound advice from our new lawyers we did not proceed with the appeal.

In as much as I would love to file an official report with the Law Society of BC and AB I only have so much time and energy and right now I am focused on revealing/exposing as much accurate information as I can for anyone and everyone. There have been many complaints filed and to my knowledge it is being investigated so again I am focusing my time and energy on this. The Law Society of BC know who I am and how to reach me should they need anything.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who have shared with, worked with and provided support to me and continue to do so.:hi:
I would also like to thank all those who have filed a report with either and/or both of the Law Societies.:cheer:

This is not over.

Last edited:

Fuxtor

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum. We are unfortunately caught in this scam as well. We are very curious if anyone has actually been taken to court yet for overdue fees? We never have given a dime since the poop hit the fan!

J's Garage

Reaction score
just another viewpoint here. it looks like it's been referred to before. but I'm listening if someone wants to explain this to us.

Code of Professional Conduct - BC Law Society

Section 6.1-4 (Suspended or disbarred lawyers)

Without the express approval of the lawyer’s governing body, a lawyer must not retain, occupy office space with, use the services of, partner or associate with or employ in any capacity having to do with the practice of law any person who, in any jurisdiction,

(a) has been disbarred and struck off the Rolls,

(b) is suspended,

(c) has undertaken not to practise,

(d) has been involved in disciplinary action and been permitted to resign and has not been reinstated or readmitted,

(e) has failed to complete a Bar admission program for reasons relating to lack of good character and repute or fitness to be a member of the Bar,

(f) has been the subject of a hearing ordered, whether commenced or not, with respect to an application for enrolment as an articled student, call and admission, or reinstatement, unless the person was subsequently enrolled, called and admitted or reinstated in the same jurisdiction, or

(g) was required to withdraw or was expelled from a Bar admission program.

amended Apr 2013

"The rules in this Code should guide the conduct of lawyers, not only in the practice of law, but also in other activities."

https://www.lawsociety.bc.ca/suppor...of-professional-conduct-for-british-columbia/

truthr

Reaction score
just another viewpoint here. it looks like it's been referred to before. but I'm listening if someone wants to explain this to us.

Code of Professional Conduct - BC Law Society

Section 6.1-4 (Suspended or disbarred lawyers)

Without the express approval of the lawyer’s governing body, a lawyer must not retain, occupy office space with, use the services of, partner or associate with or employ in any capacity having to do with the practice of law any person who, in any jurisdiction,

(a) has been disbarred and struck off the Rolls,

(b) is suspended,

(c) has undertaken not to practise,

(d) has been involved in disciplinary action and been permitted to resign and has not been reinstated or readmitted,

(e) has failed to complete a Bar admission program for reasons relating to lack of good character and repute or fitness to be a member of the Bar,

(f) has been the subject of a hearing ordered, whether commenced or not, with respect to an application for enrolment as an articled student, call and admission, or reinstatement, unless the person was subsequently enrolled, called and admitted or reinstated in the same jurisdiction, or

(g) was required to withdraw or was expelled from a Bar admission program.

amended Apr 2013

"The rules in this Code should guide the conduct of lawyers, not only in the practice of law, but also in other activities."

https://www.lawsociety.bc.ca/suppor...of-professional-conduct-for-british-columbia/

Yup pretty much sums it up. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

truthr

Reaction score
I realize this has been a disaster, but losing our heads and attacking each other only serves to harm ourselves.

Yes. Wankel, and the Northwynd (etc) organizations screwed us all over and played the system perfectly. There is a mountain of evidence around unethical and quite possibly illegal practices. It appears only Richard Gotfried seems to care about what happened outside of the people affected, and only a UCP government in Alberta will have any probability of any justice coming from this. It is unfortunate we live in such times where apathy or victim hood is stronger than a sense of fairness in society and current Government today.

But I doubt any money will ever be recovered here from anyone who was a time share owner. It tastes like acid in my mouth to say it, but they have completely won. They have taken the mountain of our money and buried it likely overseas, and then wildly profited from the free real estate windfall. They have screwed over the timeshare owners, the investors ,and apparently even their lawyer and have made hundreds of millions of dollars for their unconscionable behaviour with zero accountability.

If you have been paying attention, there is starting to crop up a small handful of lawsuits against Geldert in small claims court. A few people have lead the way and as it was pointed out for a few dollars you can download the lawsuit and claims. If you feel that Geldert has wronged you and caused damages to you financially or otherwise by his actions, this would seem to be an avenue for you to consider. It will be interesting to see if people are individually willing to step up for themselves and realize all the pieces resulting from hundreds of hours of work from others that is available at their fingertips. But everyone also has to realize they have to do at least some of the work themselves.

I am personally surprised the number of lawsuits isn't currently in the hundreds or even a thousand against Geldert. But maybe everyone is still under the false hope that some shining knight will swoop in and make this all better, or perhaps most people don't feel that Geldert caused them harm with his actions.

I would caution anyone considering this to realize there is some time sensitivity due to time limitations for initiating a lawsuit. If you are going to act, now would be a good time to get digging in. There is nothing wrong with grouping together with others who desire a similar action plan and outcome but filing individual lawsuits.

Whatever your decision, good luck to everyone and I wish you the best. But please stop hoping for some white knight to ride in and hit the reset button. It's just simply not going to happen.

If your last name is Wankel or Geldert, I can only say I hope you get everything that you deserve.

- Huck

Disaster is an understatement.

Yes there are a small handful of lawsuits cropping up. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, they are not sharing any details to assist others in a pursuit of possible restitution.

Yes there are statute of limitations for initiating a lawsuit which I will be addressing in an upcoming blog post. I encourage anyone who is even contemplating initiating a lawsuit to do precisely what Huck has said - start forming groups. You can do that by doing a shout out here to start gathering people with similar interest and/or who are in your area so you can get together in real life; toss around ideas, divvy up the research and information gathering and support each other.

Last edited:

truthr

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum. We are unfortunately caught in this scam as well. We are very curious if anyone has actually been taken to court yet for overdue fees? We never have given a dime since the poop hit the fan!

My suggestion is to read at least the past few pages of this thread. As you will see there has been a few judgments against the "Geldert Group" which you can view on CanLii, just go to the site and search Northmont in the provinces of AB and BC to view the rulings - doesn't cost any money just your time. Good luck

truthr

Reaction score
Many thanks Truth for all the time and effort you are putting in to this debacle. Finally, I am beginning to understand this whole mess.
You are welcome and thanks for taking the time to let me know your appreciation. On days when I feel overwhelmed by the amount of paperwork I read :wall: trying to decipher it all and what to share it is comments like this that keep me keeping on. :hi:

dotbuhler

Reaction score
Many of us still stand by our principles and refuse to pay the ransom. We get our annual invoices from whatever they are calling themselves this week and dispose of them in file 13. Because we quietly continue to safeguard our Serenity and our Sanity we compartmentalize this as another example of the Injustice System at work in Canada in the present day and age. But we always Hope that at some point things will improve. We warn others against investing in timeshares...Once bitten, Twice shy...My heartfelt sympathy goes out to everyone who paid because fear and paranoia, as much as Wankel and Geldert, had become their worst enemy.