• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2012] Don't Do It! [Red Lobster]

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It is that time of year again for Red Lobster's Endless Shrimp deal. We usually get "dumb" once a year and forget that last year it really wasn't worth it and not really all that good. We went tonight and returned not feeling overly great about the experience. All the items seem overly oily/greasy and quality is more downhill from the last. We expect much of the same at Olive Garden that we won't be bothering with their endless pasta bowl in 2012.

Getting dumb and forgetting how bad something is also applies to the following:
  • Golden Coral
  • Going to the Zoo

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
:hysterical: Oh, how I can relate.

Renny30

TUG Member
Reaction score
So funny. My son loves Olive Garden. The endless pasta bowl runs during his birthday every year. What a mother has to do. :shrug:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
  • Golden Coral
  • Going to the Zoo
I'm with you on the first one, but the second? You must have a really poor zoo, is all I can say. :shrug:

Kurt

staceyeileen

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm with you on the shrimp, but the endless pasta bowl rocks.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Our local Red lobster is really good - and for California, the prices are great.

I also visited the San Francisco Zoo this month - and it was fabulous! :D

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Great thread title. And since I'm here I might as well toss in my $0.02. I learned a while ago that anything which includes "unlimited" (or "endless") food is bound to be bad, not just in quality but also bad for me... No buffet, no pasta, no unlimited anything (except cell minutes, but those have zero calories). Live and learn.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I Resemble That Remark.

It is that time of year again for Red Lobster's Endless Shrimp deal. We usually get "dumb" once a year and forget that last year it really wasn't worth it and not really all that good. We went tonight and returned not feeling overly great about the experience.
I ordered all I could eat shrimp 1 time at Red Lobster & felt heavy in the gut for days. But it was my fault for trying to eat all the shrimp I could possibly swallow, rather than limiting my intake to a reasonable pig-out.

I have no business going to any kind of All You Can Eat establishment, which has me semi-concerned about our upcoming Las Vegas timeshare week, with Las Vegas full of so many great restaurants & lavish buffets.

By sticking with the Dr. Phil Fat Folks Diet & exercising daily, I have trimmed down from 250 pounds in March to 213 pounds today. One week of All I Can Eat behavior could throw that into reverse.

If that happens, it's my own fault & not the fault of the Las Vegas pig-out places.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, I agree too. Buffets and bottomless, endless, etc lose their appeal when we feel bloated and totally yucky. Sometimes we will succumb, but we generally regret it. I took a group of teens for Endless Pasta, and even they couldn't eat more than one big bowl each. Golden Corral and its ilk? Just yuck. We do like Hoss's, a PA steak chain with a big salad/soup/dessert bar; their food just seems to be a better quality fresher selection.

We almost always regret Red Lobster, but it is usually DD's birthday choice.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
By sticking with the Dr. Phil Fat Folks Diet & exercising daily, I have trimmed down from 250 pounds in March to 213 pounds today.

Alan,

Absolutely, amazingly fabulous on your significant weight loss in just 6 mos. or so.

Congrats!

(And I can relate to Red Lobster: Used to take my aunt there once in awhile as it was her favorite. Total pigout with the Captain's Plate or whatever it's called, with lobster tail and all the fixins, and of course the yummy biscuits.)

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
But the commercials make it look sooooo good Im watching one now

It happens to me too, once a year we see the commercials, we go, and we are almost always let down

Last time though was lobster fest...and it was good....Ill go back

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since shrimp is high in purine which can lead to high uric acid, I will avoid an "all you can eat" simply because I'd rather not eat foods (like shrimp) that may lead to a gout flare up! :eek:

geekette

Reaction score
Fun thread!

Dissing RL! Every once and a while, I want Red Lobster (and thanks, NOW I DO!) We are landlocked and at least they are fairly consistent.

I'll go to Olive Garden but it's unlikely that I would suggest it, I'd say No on that. I'm not that into their salad, breadsticks nor soups.

Golden Coral, Ryan's, those buffet things, I just say ick. Mass quantities of subpar food. there are some gems, I can find stuff I like if I have to go.

But, it is difficult to turn down a GOOD Chinese buffet.

I meet friends for lunch and we use 2 for 1 coupons - love Subway. not fond of avocado. I'll make stuff with avocado but I cannot have much of it. Guacamole is No for me.

No to sushi. where I come from, the fish is cooked. always. worked in a finer restaurant during college and had to serve caviar. ick. never was tempted to try it because I didn't like how it looked, I didn't like how spills clung to me, I didn't like the slimy dark stains it left everywhere. ditto pickled herring. ugh! people EAT that? ewwwww!!!

most pickled anything, and most pickles for that matter = NO. Baby gerkins excepted. pickled beets sounds like torture food to me.

~~~
zoos, the key is to not go to the same one all of the time. Go to the local when there is a new exhibit, new babies, or certain seasonal events or special hoo hahs. if you live in a reasonably large city, you may find that a membership at one family-friendly non-profit can get you discounts on another. museums, orchestras, theaters, parks, maybe library, join one and use the reciprocal benefits all over town. by the time you get back to the zoo, maybe it's new to you?

LynnW

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I love shrimp but I agree they're not that great at Red Lobster. I do love those cheese biscuits though!

Lynn

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I Resemble That Remark.

No to sushi. where I come from, the fish is cooked. always.
Johnny Carson agreed.

He said, "I don't like to eat fish that looks like it should be used to catch other fish."

Shux, I'd rather to go Long John Silver's or Arthur Treacher's than any sushi place.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
It's Not Just Foods.

Buffets and bottomless, endless, etc lose their appeal when we feel bloated and totally yucky. Sometimes we will succumb, but we generally regret it.
From across the street in Las Vegas, I once saw a banner over the front door of Slots-A-Fun or some establishment right near there that said . . .

ALL THE BEER YOU CAN DRINK $15

In the bad old days, I would have taken that as a challenge -- would have gone right in & made a point of chugalugging $30 or $45 or $60 worth of brew & damn the consequences.

Fortunately for me, I never spied that banner till after those days were long over.

Dodged a bullet, I'd say.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
It is that time of year again for Red Lobster's Endless Shrimp deal. We usually get "dumb" once a year and forget that last year it really wasn't worth it and not really all that good. We went tonight and returned not feeling overly great about the experience. All the items seem overly oily/greasy and quality is more downhill from the last. We expect much of the same at Olive Garden that we won't be bothering with their endless pasta bowl in 2012.

• Golden Coral
  • Going to the Zoo

Red Lobster quality varies greatly from restaurant to restaurant. We tend to be picky about which one we go to, even at home.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Shrimpers Heaven at Bubba Gumps for us, preferably in Kona.

Shrimp Adventure at Elephant Bar.

The only buffet I like is Chinese or Fresh Choice salads.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Red Lobster quality varies greatly from restaurant to restaurant. We tend to be picky about which one we go to, even at home.

Really? I have the misfortune to admit that I've been to them in about five cities across several States, and they've been universally...satisfactory (and that's being kind). I'll pay an extra $5-10pp to go to a non-chain fish restaurant any day of the week, and it's usually worth the extra cost in more than food quality. But as chain restaurants go, there are a lot that are worse than Red Lobster.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I meet friends for lunch and we use 2 for 1 coupons - love Subway. not fond of avocado. I'll make stuff with avocado but I cannot have much of it. Guacamole is No for me.

What do you have against guacamole? It's fabulous! And avocado is good for you! (C'mon, support California's economy and buy some today!)

No to sushi. where I come from, the fish is cooked. always.

Where's your sense of adventure? Sushi is awesome!

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Really? I have the misfortune to admit that I've been to them in about five cities across several States, and they've been universally...satisfactory (and that's being kind). I'll pay an extra $5-10pp to go to a non-chain fish restaurant any day of the week, and it's usually worth the extra cost in more than food quality. But as chain restaurants go, there are a lot that are worse than Red Lobster.

Satisfactory or average would be a good description. There are two here in town, one we'll eat at, the other we'll take a pass on. When you live about as far away from the ocean as possible, there really isn't a good choice for seafood IMHO. Closer to the ocean I'd definately agree with you that the non-chain seafood restaurants tend to bring more to the table.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I'll explain the zoo comment. We have two within about a half hour drive; Cincinnati and Columbus. Every time we have left the zoo we were hot and miserable. It is usually scorching hot, regardless of what time of year we opt to go. Cincinnati is worse because it is very hilly. After we leave we ask ourselves "why did we do it?".

Chinese buffets would be in that same "getting dumb" category for us. I love Chinese food but after leaving most buffets we again ask ourselves why we did it. A few years later we will get dumb again and go and the cycle starts again.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll agree with Red Lobster but disagree with Olive Garden. Chinese buffets will be a crapshoot depending on where, when and what you eat.

I do like a good sushi AYCE but do not want to eat poor quality fish.

The zoo sounds like it is good exercise.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's a friendly suggestion - pass up on the chain restaurants, and try out small, family owned and operated mom & pop places. You'll be pleasantly surprised. ;)

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our Red Lobster is ok. Since we're not on an ocean, I figure I'd just as soon go somewhere where the turn over rate of their seafood is pretty high. We go, on average, maybe once a year, but it's been a couple of years since we've been.

Never understood the appeal of Olive Garden. When a restaurant's calling card is soup, salad and breadsticks, count me out. Our local OG is always packed, which I find amusing -- so many people eager to eat sub standard food. Haven't eaten there in 15+ years.

Golden Corral is the Walmart of restaurants.

We really don't go out much, partly due to the expense, but mostly because I can cook better meals at home. When we do go out, it's either a local brew pub or a local Italian place near the university.