• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2012] Changes to SPG Platinum (and Gold) benefits

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Contacted SVO via MSC

I quickly contacted SVO using MSC, and the rep essentially confirms that SPG Platinum via the SVN 5 Star Elite method is equivalent to the lowest of the new SPG Platinum tiers:

Thank you for contacting Sheraton Vacation Ownership.

All Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) Platinum members, including our Five Star Elite owners, will be at the Platinum status. The different levels are provided for recognition purposes based on the number of stays within the calendar year.

For information purposes, the new Platinum benefits are being introduced, not to preclude our Starwood Vacation Ownership Five-Star Elite members from the benefits or value of your Platinum membership, but to add benefits for all Platinum Level Members making SPG reservations in addition to their SVO reservations. Upon further review of your ownership information, we can confirm that all of your Platinum member benefits will remain intact with an addition of a new benefit that is not linked to the number of SPG stays you make in a year, which is a welcome gift upon check-in at every SPG hotel or resort reservation. The two new nightly stay benefits are designed as additional rewards for all Platinum members and not to take away value or benefits from SVO Platinum members.

We hope you found this information helpful. For additional information or questions, you may contact SPG directly at www.SPG.com or at 888-655-4991.

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
The different levels are provided for recognition purposes based on the number of stays within the calendar year. For information purposes, the new Platinum benefits are being introduced ... to add benefits for all Platinum Level Members making SPG reservations in addition to their SVO reservations.

With the hotel side of Starwood (SPG) sticking it to the best customers of Starwood’s timeshare side (“SVO”), this would be a great opportunity for the timeshare side (SVO) to lessen the sting (a/k/a “surprise and delight”) by coordinating and simultaneously announcing IMPROVEMENTS to at least the highest level of elite benefits offered at its own SVO resorts.

For example, that banking staroptions thing announced at the end of last year could have been tied in with this change somehow to at least give the illusion that SPG and SVO talk to each other once in a while.

Oh wait. We’re talking SVO here. Never mind.

-nodge

Last edited:

ferndale

TUG Member
Reaction score
:annoyed:
I quickly contacted SVO using MSC, and the rep essentially confirms that SPG Platinum via the SVN 5 Star Elite method is equivalent to the lowest of the new SPG Platinum tiers:

Thank you for contacting Sheraton Vacation Ownership.

All Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) Platinum members, including our Five Star Elite owners, will be at the Platinum status. The different levels are provided for recognition purposes based on the number of stays within the calendar year.

For information purposes, the new Platinum benefits are being introduced, not to preclude our Starwood Vacation Ownership Five-Star Elite members from the benefits or value of your Platinum membership, but to add benefits for all Platinum Level Members making SPG reservations in addition to their SVO reservations. Upon further review of your ownership information, we can confirm that all of your Platinum member benefits will remain intact with an addition of a new benefit that is not linked to the number of SPG stays you make in a year, which is a welcome gift upon check-in at every SPG hotel or resort reservation. The two new nightly stay benefits are designed as additional rewards for all Platinum members and not to take away value or benefits from SVO Platinum members.

We hope you found this information helpful. For additional information or questions, you may contact SPG directly at www.SPG.com or at 888-655-4991.

YYJMSP,
Thanks for also contacting member services. I was not satisfied with the answer I got from them either. I hope that every 5 star elite SVO owner also contacts member services and registers their disappointment with the lack of recognition by SPG. Perhaps through the voices of many, they will get a clue and realize if they want to continue taking our money every year, they better earn it.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
"the voices of many ..."? How many SVN 5 Star Elites do you think there are? lol!

I'm a SVN 5 Star Elite and will checking out of FSA and checking in at the Sheraton Delfina in Santa Monica this afternoon before moving on to WMH for 2 weeks. I am using Starpoints (only) for my stay. I expect a Platinum SPG upgrade for my room. I will let you know if I get one.

I think we should distinguish between SPG Platinum for Life and the 10 nights of guaranteed Upgrade Nights - which are a benefit available to both SPG Mere Platinum members and SPG Platinum for Life members.

BTW, it would be nice to know if making an Upgrade Night reservation precludes any further upgrade if a better room is available at check-in. I have no idea what the answer is. ... eom

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think we should distinguish between SPG Platinum for Life and the 10 nights of guaranteed Upgrade Nights - which are a benefit available to both SPG Mere Platinum members and SPG Platinum for Life members.

The new benefits don't automatically apply to SPG Platinum (including for Life via SVN 5 Star Elite) members.

Unless you stay at least 50 nights at the hotel side of things (paid through a transparent booking method, use SPG points, or use cash + SPG points), you don't get the 10 Suite Nights Awards.

All SPG Platinum members will continue to get the upgrade at check-in subject to availability. The argument going on is that the likelihood of these upgrades will decrease based on the PLAT50 members grabbing the available upgrades up to 5 days prior to check-in.

Unless you stay at least 75 nights at the hotel side of things, you don't get the extra SPG point per USD spent or the 24-hours-of-your-choice stay option.

The only new benefit that all SPG Platinum members get is the option to forego the 500 SPG points check-in amenity per stay in favour of (subsidized) breakfast for two each day.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The only new benefit that all SPG Platinum members get is the option to forego the 500 SPG points check-in amenity per stay in favour of (subsidized) breakfast for two each day.

Which could be a pretty big benefit (IMO) on a long stay at a (non-timeshare) resort type location. 5 nights*2 people*$10/day=$100, compared to 500 starpoints is a great deal. And there aren't many starwood resorts where breakfast (even continental) is $10...

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just checked in at the Sheraton Towers in Frankfurt. We received the 500 SP as the Platinum gift, plus full access to the club lounge. That includes breakfast (omelletes made to order, salmon, cheeses, lattes, etc.) which one would otherwise have to pay 32+ euros per person/per day for breakfast alone. Now, when you add the free bar, and plenty of food all through the day, the platinum upgrades end up saving us a lot of money. IIRC, you can buy full access to the lounge for 80+ euros per day per person.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
clsmit, ... A Platinum for Life has no greater right to an upgrade upon check-in than any other type of Platinum SPG.

Those Platinum for Life CEOs can only be assured of a suite by paying for it (no change) or using some of their 10 Suite Awards per year, 1 used per night stayed (the only upgrade change) to reserve a suite prior to check-in. I think they will do what they do now - reserve and pay for the suite and let the corporation or business pick up the tab.

The sky is not falling for all mere Platinum SPGs due to creation of 10 Suite Night Awards for those who stay 50 nights a year (which includes mere Platinum SPGs). ... eom

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
clsmit, ... A Platinum for Life has no greater right to an upgrade upon check-in than any other type of Platinum SPG.

Agreed -- the Platinum Lifetime member who stays 50 nights will have a priority if they use their Suite Awards in advance, but as you said, that also applies to any other Platinum who stayed the 50 nights.

I think there's just going to be slightly more competition for upgrades at check-in over time, as the number of Platinums starts to accumulate with those who get Platinum Lifetime...

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the hotel side of Starwood (SPG) sticking it to the best customers of Starwood’s timeshare side (“SVO”), this would be a great opportunity for the timeshare side (SVO) to lessen the sting (a/k/a “surprise and delight”) by coordinating and simultaneously announcing IMPROVEMENTS to at least the highest level of elite benefits offered at its own SVO resorts.

For example, that banking staroptions thing announced at the end of last year could have been tied in with this change somehow to at least give the illusion that SPG and SVO talk to each other once in a while.

So, did anyone else just get this e-mail from SVO, or is it just messing with me?

e-mail from Starwood Vacation Ownership, dated February 21, 2012

Dear [Nodge, you handsome devil you],

As we mentioned last year, we are offering a new Owner benefit that allows you to bank unused StarOptions®... and now it's available to you.

If you're unable to get away—or if you simply have extra StarOptions that will go unused—be sure to bank as many or as few as you like with no annual restriction. They will be available for your use to travel to any Starwood Vacation NetworkSM resort for up to two years.

Whenever you're ready to take your next vacation, your banked StarOptions will help get you there.

Bank your StarOptions today by calling Owner Services at 888 786 3548 or direct at 407 903 4785.

Banking StarOptions in 2012
Owner Level Deadline Fee
5-Star Elite December 31 $0
4-Star Elite October 1 $79
3-Star Elite October 1 $79
All Other Owners July 1 $99

Of all of my public suggestions to SVO posted here over the years, THIS is the one they pick to actually do?

You know SVO, as long as you're listening, I know that the reality TV market is way more saturated then it was four years ago, but I still think this show would work. You'll just have to update the format a little by throwing some singing and maybe some of those fancy, Cee Lo Green-sized, self-rotating judges' pod chairs from "The Voice" into the mix.

-nodge

Last edited:

Downhill1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perceived devaluation of SPG Platinum Benefits

Somebody recently added a reply post to a thread started by YYJMSP concerning news he heard at an owners update at Desert Willow....a few posts into this thread is a link to the above thread about the perceived devaluation of SPG Platinum benefits with the introduction of of awarding 10 confirmed upgrades for Platinum members who stay at least 50 nights/yr in Starwood branded hotels....I'm writing a response to this thread to try and provide one perspective from someone who is a frequent business traveler with Starwood and who is a Starwood Vacation Owner who is working on expanding his Starwood timeshare holdings....

My family and I are pretty new in the timeshare arena (bought Princeville three years ago and just picked up a Sheraton Mountain Vista) but I've been a frequent business traveler for a long time...I've been an SPG Platinum member for 13 years straight and have around 430 nights with Starwood...nothing to be proud of....most of those 430 nights were away from my family. However, my family and I have taken full advantage of the benefits I receive from my busienss travels - so no regrets.

Business travelers like me (I'm not a CEO!)...who earn Platinum status generally earn it through lots of business trips in which they are alone....trust me, getting upgrading to some gigantic suite, which does happen a few times a year, is frustrating when you are away from your family...it's worthless when you arrive at your hotel at 10pm and leave at 5am the next morning and you are by yourself. All you do is maybe take some pictures and send them to your kids and say "can you believe this room!"....

Some things to consider:

1. It's often pretty easy to see how many Platinum members are checking into hotels - there are not that many of "us."

2. Most platinum members attain their membership via the number of stays they make, not the number of nights they stay in total. One "only" needs 25 stays a year to achieve Platinum status vs. staying 50 nights. I don't have any statistics from chatting with lots of other Platinums in concierge lounges and such, those who have earned their status via nights are in the minority...which means your subject pool of Platinums who will get access to the 10 confirmed suite upgrades is a minority of the total Platinum base membership.

3. Business travelers who are on business trips will almost never reserve a suite in advance for a business related stay because they are usually alone and, like me, don't perceive much value in the room upgrade.

4. The most valued benefit a frequent business traveler gets from their SPG Platinum status is access to a concierge lounge, if the hotel has one. Now that they have added breakfast for two instead of the 500 bonus points...this is a nice perk in the same "arena" because it opens things up to stay at a non-concierge room hotel, on a personal stay, and know you are not going to need to spend $25/person for you and your spouse for breakfast at the hotel restaurant. The free internet is only valuable on personal stays as employers are used to paying for internet for their busienss travelers.

5. The suite upgrades will likely only be used for personal trips but get this....if you are going to a popular destination at a popular time...there are enough big spenders out there who have the $$$ or the credit card limits to reserve and pay for the suites straight up...I almost never get upgraded to even a concierge floor standard room at popular destinations at popular times - yes, it has happened, so I'm not saying it doesn't. I usually call ahead and try to develop some type of relationship with a Concierge team member and ask them to try and look out for me with the mgt at the front desk when they are making room assignments. I see in one of the posts above that you can only use a confirmed suite upgrade 1-5 days in advance of arrival....I think it is fair to say that all the suites are already going to be reserved by big spenders at those times.

Where I see the benefit, will be in a situation where you are going on a personal trip to a desirable location during a slow season and you want to be assured, to the extent possible, of getting an upgrade...say in order to have a room with a sleeper sofa in it so you have more space for kids or something like that....but you can only reserve it five days out so if it is really important to get that, you could just decide to fork over the extra points or $$ and reserve the exact room type you want.

I appreciate all of you tuggers out there - I have learned, and continue to learn a great deal from you. I'm not trying to say your perceptions are not valid...if I spent big $$ to achieve 5* Elite mainly so I could get SPG Platinum, I'd have similar thoughts...I just wanted to share some insights from someone who has sadly spent 1.5 years of 21 years of a terrific marriage in an SPG hotel room away from my family!

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
my past stays at hotels in the recent months have gotten upgraded.

just for everyone's Info. when a a platinum person( from hotel stays and gets all those extra new perks), qualifies for platinum for life it is the same platinum for life level that the 5*'s have. so they will be in for a big surprise.

K&PFitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just had the opportunity to use the new Gold benefits when staying at the Westin Dublin for 5 nights, using starpoints. We were offered a handful of starpoints, a free drink in the bar, or free internet. Considering we stayed for five nights, it was a no brainer to take the internet.

They also offered us points, 500 I think, if we passed on having the room cleaned one day. We chose cleaning.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I got upgraded to a deluxe falls view room at Sheraton on the Falls (Niagara Falls, Canada side) when I booked two nights with SPG points.

They also offered me free internet, valet parking at the cost of self-park, and either 250 SPs or a gift card for 2 drinks (up to $15) at the on-site restaurant or bar.

So even though I'm a lowly gold, I was very happy for the recognition. It doesn't cost the hotel much, but it goes a long way in building a positive relationship.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I got upgraded to a deluxe falls view room at Sheraton on the Falls (Niagara Falls, Canada side) when I booked two nights with SPG points.

They also offered me free internet, valet parking at the cost of self-park, and either 250 SPs or a gift card for 2 drinks (up to $15) at the on-site restaurant or bar.

So even though I'm a lowly gold, I was very happy for the recognition. It doesn't cost the hotel much, but it goes a long way in building a positive relationship.

The Gold status bonus' appear to becoming standardized - I received similar offers while staying at the Petaluma-Sheraton and W-Barcelona. I am not so sure this is a good thing as in the past I have received some fantastic room upgrades that were worth more that ~500 SPs or a free-drink (although the Mojito at the W-BCN was fabulous...)

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
The Gold status bonus' appear to becoming standardized - I received similar offers while staying at the Petaluma-Sheraton and W-Barcelona. I am not so sure this is a good thing as in the past I have received some fantastic room upgrades that were worth more that ~500 SPs or a free-drink (although the Mojito at the W-BCN was fabulous...)

FWIW, I'd originally booked a Cityview room, so I did get a very nice complimentary upgrade in the view. Considering how little I stay in hotel rooms, I was pleased with everything.

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Limit One Per Elite Membership"?

Hi Gang,

I don't recall seeing the phrase "limit one per elite membership" next to "Automatic Platinum-Level Membership in the Starwood Preferred Guest Program" on the Elite Benefits chart on MSC.

Is that phrase new? I've always assumed that when a married couple jointly owns enough SVO timeshares to become 5 star elite members, BOTH members of that couple received SPG platinum status. I guess this phrase either clarifies that THAT has never been true, OR it documents that SVO/SPG has further narrowed (a/k/a "cut in half") the scope of SVO owners' SPG platinum status.

What's the deal on this 5 stars?

-nodge

Last edited:

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Gang,

I don't recall seeing the phrase "limit one per elite membership" next to "Automatic Platinum-Level Membership in the Starwood Preferred Guest Program" on the Elite Benefits chart on MSC.

Is that phrase new? I've always assumed that when a married couple jointly owns enough SVO timeshares to become 5 star elite members, BOTH members of that couple received SPG platinum status. I guess this phrase either clarifies that THAT has never been true, OR it documents that SVO/SPG has further narrowed (a/k/a "cut in half") the scope of SVO owners' SPG platinum status.

-nodge

You assumed wrong. The Terms and Conditions of Elite Membership have provided (ever since I became 5 Star Elite about 4 years ago):

"5. Only one Primary User will be issued a Starwood Preferred Guest ("SPG") Platinum Membership per Five Star SVN Elite Membership, regardless of how many purchasers or Primary Users are named on the Purchase and Sale Agreement(s) for a VOI or Week."

This has never been an issue that came between my wife and me. :rolleyes: Salty

Last edited:

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which could be a pretty big benefit (IMO) on a long stay at a (non-timeshare) resort type location. 5 nights*2 people*$10/day=$100, compared to 500 starpoints is a great deal. And there aren't many starwood resorts where breakfast (even continental) is $10...

Our recent set of stays worked out quite well from the point-of-view of the breakfast option. Where we took that option (i.e. there wasn't a Club level with lounge that already had breakfast), we figure we saved ~$730 over 16 days, so ~$45/day (using the published price of the breakfast option given).

And two of the properties still gave us the 500 Starpoints amenity.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Gang,

-nodge

It was always this way, as far as I can remember.

The creative sales folks have been pushing the term "10 Star Elite" to signifiy that you and your spouse independently qualify for 5 Star Elite, each with their own SPG Platinum membership, etc.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
my past stays at hotels in the recent months have gotten upgraded.

just for everyone's Info. when a a platinum person( from hotel stays and gets all those extra new perks), qualifies for platinum for life it is the same platinum for life level that the 5*'s have. so they will be in for a big surprise.

I'm finding that upgrades are defintely becoming less forthcoming as compared to previous years, but that could be our specific choice of properties and times, etc.

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
i have been over the top impressed with my platinum status that i earned this year. i have done a lot of traveling this year and i get upgraded to a fantastic room everytime and when i send my kids they get upgraded too. i love the club lounge and i have used my suite night awards but i only request the very top of the top suite and if it doesn't come through i would be happy with just a regular upgrade but so far both times i was upgraded to rooms that run around 1000/night and i am booking with points or cash and points. i am loving platinum

OutAndAbout

TUG Member
Reaction score
They could remove the sting associated with being in the lesser platinum (or gold) category by counting timeshare stay nights as SPG stay nights, like Marriott has done. Perhaps if the PFLs make a large enough fuss, they'll do it. Personally, I'd be a little ticked if I spent the $ for PFL and essentially just got downgraded. :mad: I spend my non-timeshare dollars at a different brand, so I don't really have a dog in this fight (but have enjoyed a few nice gold upgrades - the best one being at The Hotel Grand Bretagne in Athens -- now that's a hotel!).
No, since SPG is now counting point stays toward status.
As SPG is now counting award stays toward status, can anyone confirm if SVO nights do or do not count toward status?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis