• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2012] BeachPlace - Timeshare Newbie Questions

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
We are new (Hyatt) timeshare owners and have never stayed at a timeshare resort. We'll be staying at our own resort for the first time in July, but first we'll be staying at MBP for a week in May. We "inherited" some points in II with the purchase of our timeshare and we used that to book our upcoming stay in a two bedroom at MBP. I've read through some of the old threads but have some questions. I hope they aren't too silly. ;)

I know about the parking situation and plan to pay for a pass from the garage, not the Marriott, for a cheaper weekly rate. Our sons will only be staying with us for two or three nights. Can we buy a second parking pass from the garage for just the days they'll be there?

I've read that some people have been contacted a couple weeks prior to their visit and are asked about room preferences. I'll be happy with either an ocean view or intracoastal water view, but I would like to be on a higher floor. Do they typically take requests, even if I booked through II?

Are early check-ins frequently granted at MBP? We're planning to arrive around noon and will just have lunch and spend the time checking out the area if we can't check in until later. I'm assuming we check in at the front desk just like we would at a hotel. Do they swipe a CC for incidentals and give you room charging privileges? And if so, what is there to charge to the room? I can't remember if they have a pool bar there? Do they award Marriott Reward points for things charged to the room? Told you I'm brand new to this timeshare thing. ;)

I've read that different resorts have planned activities throughout the week. What do they typically offer at MBP, and are they only for Marriott owners or for everyone? Are there charges associated with the events? Is there an orientation early in the week?

What else do I need to know? :) We're very excited about the resort and location. Thanks in advance for any advice and info!

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In the public garage, you can get a second parking pass or you can simply park and pay each day on your way in or out.

You should get an email from BeachPlace asking about preference, but I would call Marriott reservations, give them your res number and ask them to add "notes" to your reservation. Tell them you want a high floor.

As an owner I am picky and ask for ocean view, high floor, south end of the building - in that order of preference.

MBP is always busy during check-in. Our room wasn't ready until 5pm last visit. Go ahead and check-in early if they'll let you, and then go eat.

Credit card and room charges - YES

Give them your Marriott Rewards number at check-in. Make sure they add it. Charges to room will be credited as will nights stayed.

Activities on site - not so much. The concierge there is very helpful and can give you guidance for the entire South Florida area.

Yes, there is an orientation / welcome party early in the week. It's up on the top floor. Ask about it at check-in.

We look forward to seeing you soon at Marriott's BeachPlace Towers. For easy reference, you'll find the details of your confirmation above. We have a lot of wonderful activities and amenities just waiting for your enjoyment.

Some quick reminders as you get ready for your vacation...

Authorized Service and Guide animals are welcome. However, in order to maintain the quality of the villas, family pets are not permitted.

The parking garage is accessible from Cortez Street and A1A. Please note the garage height restriction is 7'2" and will not accommodate all vehicles. For details on parking and fees please contact us.

The Front Desk at Marriott's BeachPlace Towers is open 24 hours a day. Unless notified otherwise, keys will be issued only to the individuals listed on the reservation.

If you have a change of plans, please notify Owner Services at 800-845-4226 or 801-468-4089.
To extend charging privileges, a major credit card will be requested upon arrival.
Finally, and most importantly, if there is anything else you need to make your upcoming stay unforgettable, simply let our staff know at 954-525-4440.

Happy Travels,

Alfred A Rosenthal
General Manager

lweverett

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Parking in the lower floor garage is cheaper and I'm sure they have daily as well as weekly rates. Keep in mind that you need a room key to access the elevators on all but the lobby floor. The pool area is small, there is a small Marketplace that serves drinks and sandwiches through a window into the pool area. You cannot charge to the room from the businesses in the mall in front. You can get some pretty lame beach chairs for the beach from the activities center on the lobby floor.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
To add. We tried to charge some outside excursions that were reserved by the Marriott BeachPlace concierge to our room, but they would not allow us. Last time at Waiohai we were allowed to do this and it netted us tens of thousands of Rewards Points.

Eric - Are you listening?

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
To add. We tried to charge some outside excursions that were reserved by the Marriott BeachPlace concierge to our room, but they would not allow us. Last time at Waiohai we were allowed to do this and it netted us tens of thousands of Rewards Points.

Eric - Are you listening?

We had the same experience during our trip to Waiohai, and also during trips to our home resorts, SurfWatch and Barony. Anything that's specified in the Activities Schedule for a certain day/time and provided through MAZE or by an outside vendor can be charged to the room and will net bonus MR Points. But, the resorts also include a sheet of paper with the names of various outside vendors if you're looking for something off of the schedule. For those it doesn't matter if you ask the concierge for help with booking - they're charged separately directly to you and not charged to the room, so no bonus MR.

Last edited:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Typical activities

Owner's Forum
Tuesdays. Located on the Overlook Lounge 19th Floor.
Tuesday (3/15/2011)

Kid's Check-In
Saturday (3/12/2011)
Friday (3/18/2011)
Saturday (3/19/2011)

Monday Morning Activities Rally
Monday (3/14/2011)

Aqua Fitness Packages
Tuesday (3/15/2011)
Thursday (3/17/2011)

Pilates Fitness Packages
Wednesday (3/16/2011)

Wine And Cheese Social
Wednesday (3/16/2011)

Steel Drum Music Live
Located at the Pool Bar.
Friday (3/18/2011)

Thanks Susan - fixed it

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We are new (Hyatt) timeshare owners and have never stayed at a timeshare resort. We'll be staying at our own resort for the first time in July, but first we'll be staying at MBP for a week in May. We "inherited" some points in II with the purchase of our timeshare and we used that to book our upcoming stay in a two bedroom at MBP. I've read through some of the old threads but have some questions. I hope they aren't too silly. ;)

I know about the parking situation and plan to pay for a pass from the garage, not the Marriott, for a cheaper weekly rate. Our sons will only be staying with us for two or three nights. Can we buy a second parking pass from the garage for just the days they'll be there?

I've read that some people have been contacted a couple weeks prior to their visit and are asked about room preferences. I'll be happy with either an ocean view or intracoastal water view, but I would like to be on a higher floor. Do they typically take requests, even if I booked through II?

They take requests but never guaranty anything. If high floor is important to you, make that your priority on the request. We were Marriott owners exchanging in and had the lowest floor intercoastal view. We were a little dissapointed. Though it was a Thanksgiving week, but with at the time the low owner occupancy at Beach Place, I had hoped for better.

Are early check-ins frequently granted at MBP? We're planning to arrive around noon and will just have lunch and spend the time checking out the area if we can't check in until later. I'm assuming we check in at the front desk just like we would at a hotel.

You can't request an early checkin, if when you show up the room they have assigned to you is ready, then you can checkin. If it isn't you won't be able to checkin until it is. I wouldn't expect to be able to checkin early. Chances are that you like Terry could actually not be able to get in until after 4:00pm.

Do they swipe a CC for incidentals and give you room charging privileges?

All Marriott resorts will want to have a credit card on file for incidentals and security deposit

And if so, what is there to charge to the room? I can't remember if they have a pool bar there? Do they award Marriott Reward points for things charged to the room? Told you I'm brand new to this timeshare thing. ;)

There is a small pool bar and Marketplace. Usual stuff but nothing special.

I've read that different resorts have planned activities throughout the week. What do they typically offer at MBP, and are they only for Marriott owners or for everyone? Are there charges associated with the events? Is there an orientation early in the week?

What else do I need to know? :) We're very excited about the resort and location. Thanks in advance for any advice and info!

BeachPlace is a very urban timeshare. You can walk to any number of restaurants and bars and it is also located very close to the water ferry.

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
Thank you for all the replies -- some very helpful info! I think this will be a great vacation for us. We typically visit Key West at least a couple times a year and one of the things I love about it is that we can park the car and not have to use it again until it's time to go home. Looks like we can do the same thing at BeachPlace and that's one of the main things that attracted me to it in the first place.

minoter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Terry,
Susan had it correct. Anything through MAZE is charged to your room. Any other outside activities with vendors/restaurants, etc are transactions between you and the vendor. The Board was told that the Marriott billing system does not allow for outside transactions to be charged to the room--they say an administrative nightmare. I could understand the issues and why Marriott would not want to get involved with 3rd party billing.

Island Time,
Enjoy your stay at BeachPlace.

Eric

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Eric, yes I know. I tried it in July to no avail.

I'll be at Waiohai next summer and will find out if their concierge still allows charging "outside" activities to you room. I am certain that Waiohai got a cut, which is why they did it. The $2000 in "outside" charges netted me over 30K MR points.

Some Marriott hotels do the same. We charged some "outside" shows to our room in Paris through the concierge, and Marriott simply gave us vouchers and charged it to our room. Funny thing is we got a 10% discount because that was Marriott's price, and the concierge said they do not mark up their discounted pricing.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
When we were at Ko Olina last year, we charged several tour day trips to our room, no problem, however, we did NOT get MR points for the tours. We did get the usual nights credited and some misc. room charges credited for MR points.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Saw the below post in regard to the parking garage height restrictions at BPT While I have parked in Beachplace towers many years back, I went then with a smaller car. I will be going this summer again with an SUV. I assume I will not have enough room to place a car top carrier on top without hitting the 7'2" height restrictions in the garage?

Last year I was at Ocean Pointe and an SUV with a car top carrier attempted to park in the covered parking garage. Needless to say, it didn't go too well. So I don't want to end up like them.

Can anyone comment in general? Is there any BPT parking with a taller height restriction?

"The parking garage is accessible from Cortez Street and A1A. Please note the garage height restriction is 7'2" and will not accommodate all vehicles. For details on parking and fees please contact us."

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score

Are early check-ins frequently granted at MBP? We're planning to arrive around noon and will just have lunch and spend the time checking out the area if we can't check in until later. I'm assuming we check in at the front desk just like we would at a hotel. Do they swipe a CC for incidentals and give you room charging privileges? And if so, what is there to charge to the room? I can't remember if they have a pool bar there? Do they award Marriott Reward points for things charged to the room? Told you I'm brand new to this timeshare thing. ;)

We own a 2BR EOY at BPT, and are there probably once a year for a week. We do not pay for parking, whether we are using one of our weeks (we lock off) or trading back in from another property or points - that is the way it s. Parking at BPT has been discussed a LOT here - and so let me add only one thing: the posts below the designated Marriott floors are PUBLIC - which mean, that if there is an event, like a boat show, or even many beach visitors, you might not have any easy time finding a spot, even if you paid for a pass. Spots seem to evaporate with people who park their sports car diagonally, or people with huge vehicles that park so that only a motorcycle could fit next to them. Yes, you might get that in the Marriott floors, too - but at least you HAVE a spot - not reserved, but there are enough - I do not think the place EVER is at 100 percent occupancy, with every villa having a car in a spot. Before we bought there, and went on a Getaway (had to pay for parking), we found that the lower floors were over-run - and so for a few dollars more (which we got points for anyway . . ) we got a spot in the Marriott section. You might disagree - but in THAT scenario and that week, etc. etc. - it was just the smarter move. The drive up and down is quite the spiral - but hey, we do not take our car out every day - but often enough. Just thought I would throw this out there. Chances are, you will be fine with getting cheaper weekly rate on a lower floor - it's either drive a long way, or take a longer elevator ride - and yes, the elevators are "better' - but busy is busy. One negative about the Marriott section - we have NEVER been there for a week, when there was at least one day that the stupid ticket machines all worked correctly. Maybe then are fine now - but it was some Three Stooges routine, some days (BTW - we are visiting the Stoogeum in PA next week - nyuk, nyuk, nyuk . . . not the kind of place we usually visit, but sound like a laugh.)

M

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We own a 2BR EOY at BPT, and are there probably once a year for a week. We do not pay for parking, whether we are using one of our weeks (we lock off) or trading back in from another property or points - that is the way it s. Parking at BPT has been discussed a LOT here - and so let me add only one thing: the posts below the designated Marriott floors are PUBLIC - which mean, that if there is an event, like a boat show, or even many beach visitors, you might not have any easy time finding a spot, even if you paid for a pass. Spots seem to evaporate with people who park their sports car diagonally, or people with huge vehicles that park so that only a motorcycle could fit next to them. Yes, you might get that in the Marriott floors, too - but at least you HAVE a spot - not reserved, but there are enough - I do not think the place EVER is at 100 percent occupancy, with every villa having a car in a spot. Before we bought there, and went on a Getaway (had to pay for parking), we found that the lower floors were over-run - and so for a few dollars more (which we got points for anyway . . ) we got a spot in the Marriott section. You might disagree - but in THAT scenario and that week, etc. etc. - it was just the smarter move. The drive up and down is quite the spiral - but hey, we do not take our car out every day - but often enough. Just thought I would throw this out there. Chances are, you will be fine with getting cheaper weekly rate on a lower floor - it's either drive a long way, or take a longer elevator ride - and yes, the elevators are "better' - but busy is busy. One negative about the Marriott section - we have NEVER been there for a week, when there was at least one day that the stupid ticket machines all worked correctly. Maybe then are fine now - but it was some Three Stooges routine, some days (BTW - we are visiting the Stoogeum in PA next week - nyuk, nyuk, nyuk . . . not the kind of place we usually visit, but sound like a laugh.)

M

It was my understanding that even if you were an owner but exchanging in using a non BeachPlace Towers week, you would still have to pay for parking?

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was my understanding that even if you were an owner but exchanging in using a non BeachPlace Towers week, you would still have to pay for parking?

We have a EOY - so we lock it off and deposit each half into II. So we were technically *trading* back in to BPT - and no, we were not charged for parking. They tried (marked it on our window card) - and DH said "We are owners here, trading the locked-off half back into BPT." Parking waived. The ONLY time we paid was before we bought there, and were on a Getaway. We bought BPT before The Big Change, when a salesperson at MGC noticed that we traded halves of MGC each year to stay in FL for a week - and he had notice of owners at BPT who were selling their unit. So we got a decent price, we feel - and DH did not want to buy thru eBay or any other broker. Bought MGC as a pre-build - totally time-share virgins, no clue whatsoever - but overall (except for the stupid 4 grand we paid years ago, for the *privilege* of then being able to trade MGC every year for MR points . . ) we are satisfied with our expenditures THEN for what we own. If we were starting this all NOW - and based of what we have learned HERE - we would do things very differently. As stated here often - we go to ZERO meetings, and have no intention whatsoever of buying not ONE point for anything else. We do other things than timesharing to entertain ourselves, and like to save some $$$ for that!

Next year, we plan to use the small portion of MGC to trade into BPT in the Fall - we will see what we get; last time we traded in the small portion of BPT, we got a 2BR.

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a EOY - so we lock it off and deposit each half into II. So we were technically *trading* back in to BPT - and no, we were not charged for parking. They tried (marked it on our window card) - and DH said "We are owners here, trading the locked-off half back into BPT." Parking waived. The ONLY time we paid was before we bought there, and were on a Getaway. We bought BPT before The Big Change, when a salesperson at MGC noticed that we traded halves of MGC each year to stay in FL for a week - and he had notice of owners at BPT who were selling their unit. So we got a decent price, we feel - and DH did not want to buy thru eBay or any other broker. Bought MGC as a pre-build - totally time-share virgins, no clue whatsoever - but overall (except for the stupid 4 grand we paid years ago, for the *privilege* of then being able to trade MGC every year for MR points . . ) we are satisfied with our expenditures THEN for what we own. If we were starting this all NOW - and based of what we have learned HERE - we would do things very differently. As stated here often - we go to ZERO meetings, and have no intention whatsoever of buying not ONE point for anything else. We do other things than timesharing to entertain ourselves, and like to save some $$$ for that!

Next year, we plan to use the small portion of MGC to trade into BPT in the Fall - we will see what we get; last time we traded in the small portion of BPT, we got a 2BR.

Went back and reviewed just what I had used to get into BPT - and it always was a BPT lock-off (except that Getaway). There were other trades where we used BPT for other Fl properties - and avoided the Florida Club rules. So 2015 will be the first time we plan to use half or MGC to get into BPT. We never use BPT for points - not worth it for 2050 for the TWO years - but go about 50/50 using MGC as points or trades. So we will see if the Guest pulls a 1BR for us - the selling point at MGC was "all-platinum - therefore, great trader." We see now that this matters less - so we'll wait, and have back-ups.