• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2011 ] Kalia Tower, Not Bad.

Maverick1963

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
Recently I stayed at 1BR+ of Kalia Tower. After 2004, I have used Lagoon only. This time, I was alone for the trip. So I thought the atmosphere would be better with a quieter environment as well as a jaccuzi just down there.

I agree with those who say Lagoon is roomy, close to the ocean, etc. Its OF and OV 2BR is ideal for a vacation in Hawaii. I like Lagoon a lot. So I was not really sure if my choice was right.

It was a short stay but I changed my perception and came to like Kalia much more. The view from the room is really OV. And you can enjoy seeing three towers of Rainbow, Lagoon and Waikikian both during daytime and at night. OF is fantastic but gives you only darkness after sunset. And the view with Waikikian is far better than the old one with Ilikai.

One more good thing with Kalia is it has a lanai for the bedroom. When you wake up in the morning, you can see the ocean from your bed; you do not have to get up. (Also I do not shut the curtain to adjust myself to the local time.)

So Kalia will be great at times like when you are staying in a couple, when you want to avoid the uncertainty of Lagoon's OV on the lagoon side or the Ilikai side, etc.

If you like, please see the photos I took during the stay. https://picasaweb.google.com/117164809883855204627

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Thank you for the commentary - I look forward to viewing the pics when I am not on bberry.

I have visited HHV only once (Lagoon), and loved it. I bought HGVC as a place in Hawaii for my wife and I to get away just the two of us - and Lagoon was perfect. We were even in the Dreaded Room 69, which I warmed to during the trip.

I'll definitely go back - and will also look at Kalia, based upon your comments.

Thanks very much!

Greg

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Maverick,

I just went thru your pics -- I have to say, Kalia looks really nice (the room and the view).

What floor were you on?

Also, when you did decide to go to the pools, did it seems like a long walk (we loved exiting Lagoon tower and being right there at the Paradise Pool).

Thoughts? Thanks very much!

Maverick1963

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
Greg,

I was on the 14th floor, close to the elevator hall. If you like the paradise pool, Lagoon may be your choice. After you get out of Kalia Tower, you will walk along the shops and eventually you will walk through the old check-in area at Lagoon and pass by the convenient shop. It will take a few minutes to get there. Kalia has a pool on the 4th floor and it is so quiet that you can enjoy reading books very much. What I can tell you is that I did not go for Kalia before my recent stay. From now on, Kalia will be a great choice for me, particularly when one bedroom works well. I am sure you will not be disappointed with Kalia. ;)

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Thank you for the opinion and the pics. Kalia had been on my radar for a unit at HHV but, so far we haven't choosen it yet. I had points to burn to we choose one of the more expensive units in the new Grand Wiakakian Tower for our next trip. Perhaps Kalia will be our choice next time we want to visit HNL.

oneohana

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're staying in a Kalia 1 bed+ this July for a family reunion for 2 weeks. I like the Kalia for this trip because it is close to Hale Koa parking struuctre. I only get Lagoon if we can get the OF rooms.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We're staying in a Kalia 1 bed+ this July for a family reunion for 2 weeks. I like the Kalia for this trip because it is close to Hale Koa parking struuctre. I only get Lagoon if we can get the OF rooms.

Do you family that is staying in the Hale Koa, or is it open to the public?

Thanks!

oneohana

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are all staying at HHV. The Hale Koa is for military only. Since we are staying almost 2 weeks, the monthly parking is cheaper there than HHV. The walk is about the same.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Question on Kalia:
Are Kalia guests allowed to use the other pools?

I received an RCI confirmaton yesterday. Is there a code that tells me if it is one bedroom or one bedroom plus?

Thanks,