• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2010] Florida AG releases website displaying active litigation against Scammers!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This should be a sticky at the top of Buying, Selling, Renting! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. Wack a Mole

2. Should be made into a Web Archive file on Tug that can be referenced as independent conformation by a governmemtal agency to the daily inquiries

JJW3276

TUG Member
Reaction score

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Court Halts Business at Lauderdale Timeshare Company

Court Halts Business at Lauderdale Timeshare Company -by Nirvi Shah/TheMiamiHerald/Sun-Sentinel.com

Tuggers are well familiar with these timeshare scam artists doing business under a variety of names.

Surprised Nirvi listed ARDA as a resource for help selling your timeshare but not Tug.

Richard

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
This story was on NBC's Today Show this morning

msmtmac

Reaction score
Okay, I am one of the suckers takend by Timeshare Market Pro. Now I have companies calling to offer getting my money back plus interest for an upfront fee of $499. Has anyone heard of American Compensation Group? My feeling is that this is also a scam.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Okay, I am one of the suckers takend by Timeshare Market Pro. Now I have companies calling to offer getting my money back plus interest for an upfront fee of $499. Has anyone heard of American Compensation Group? My feeling is that this is also a scam.

It's another scam...

Rule of thumb: Anyone who charges a large upfront fee is a scammer - period.

Because of the economy, most timeshares are selling for 0-10% of original retail. I know that is a bitter pill to swallow, but these scammers are preying on TS owners who don't want to accept that.

Here's how to find out what your timeshare is really selling for on the resale market:

1) Register with ebay
2) Sign in
3) Search for your resort by exact name
4) From the menu on the left find the "Buying Formats" heading and click "choose more"
5) On the next page click "completed listings"
6) The next page will show you current selling prices

(Be sure you look at the completed listings - those are actually SELLING prices - you will find asking prices all over the place, but what really counts is what they actually sold for.)​

If you poke around a bit, you will see that there are more than 300 timeshares listed on ebay for $0-100 - most with no bids. Many people are having a hard time even giving away their timeshares these days.

If you discover that your TS has no resale value, it may be possible to give it away, if it is paid off, and all your fees are up to date. Let us know if you want more info. on that.

On the other hand, if you don't have to get rid of this timeshare, we can definitely help you get more use out of it. Let us know if you want more info. on that.

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's another scam...

Because of the economy, most timeshares are selling for 0-10% of original retail. I know that is a bitter pill to swallow, but these scammers are preying on TS owners who don't want to accept that.

...or don't know that. Unless people have been following news stories or TS-special websites such as TUG, owners are probably thinking that, like most real estate, their asset(s) is/are appreciating.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Yes, it's a scam. It could even be the same outfit that scammed you before. They've got your name and contact info, and so they know you've been scammed before. So they're either running this scam, or they've sold your info to someone else who's running the scam.

So now they'll try hitting you with another upfront fee scam, this time to try to collect the money they scammed you out of before.

Mrs. Beasley

Reaction score
Hi Denise and anyone else who has information. I read your notes on selling a timeshare. I have checked ebay and our timeshare is one of those that are listed for sale for $1. I have contacted Celebrity Resorts and they don't accept the timeshares back for any amount of money or even if we pay them to take it. We have been in contact with companies that claim they will transfer the deed out of our name. With all the on-line chatter about scammers we are afraid to pay the $2,500 that they are asking to be held in escrow until the deed is transferred out of our name. My question: certainly there must be someone out there who paid one of these companies to get rid of their timeshare without getting scammed. Can anyone help us???

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Mrs. Beasley -

Please consider giving your timeshare away to a private individual who can use it, before you spend a cent with a company like this.

Why?
-You can give it away yourself for nearly no cost.
-You can control the transfer process to make sure it is truly transferred out of your name.
-You won't have to deal with companies that may or may not be Legit.
-You can transfer it to a private individual who will be happy to have it for their own use.
-You will have the satisfaction of knowing that you ended your ownership legally and ethically.

There are two places on TUG where you can give away your TS's for free (no charge for the Ads.) There are other cheap and free sites on the internet, as well.

TUG Marketplace - the only cost is your TUG membership - $15 (List it for $1 and it will automatically go in the Bargain Basement Ads.)

Bargain Deals - Totally FREE! - just write a simple post with all the pertinent info. In your post, include the following info.:
-resort name
-unit size
-season owned
-maintenance fee
-current reservations​

To make it more attractive I would:

1) Pay 2010 (and possibly 2011) maintenance fees and don't ask for reimbursement.

2) Pay for the title transfer (you can get a simple professional transfer for about $100) I've used this licensed document Prep. company and the owner is a Tugger. - Note, this is my personal recommendation, not as a representative of TUG.

3) Reserve a popular holiday week in 2010 or 2011 for the new owner​

Good luck!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I advertised with Timeshare Only which, according to the website quoted above, is one company in a list of other companies being subpoenaed. As a past and dissatisfied customer, is there anything I should be doing to try and claim back my advertising costs?

I'd contact the Attorney General's office ASAP.

mommabee135

Reaction score
Hi Denise,

I was called by a company (Liberty Exchange Group) they claim to be a finance company for the buyer (some corporation)..They claim they are holding 20% from buyer and want $1998.75 from me (to pay for documented taxes) to be held in Escrow until I sign the papers...I don't know what to do..have you heard of this before?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I was called by a company (Liberty Exchange Group) they claim to be a finance company for the buyer (some corporation)..They claim they are holding 20% from buyer and want $1998.75 from me (to pay for documented taxes) to be held in Escrow until I sign the papers...I don't know what to do..have you heard of this before?
They don't have a buyer. It's a scam, just like the others, just a slightly different line. Stay away from any company that wants any fee upfront. Doesn't matter whether they say they have a buyer, they most definitely do not. No legitimate company does business that way.

mommabee135

Reaction score
They don't have a buyer. It's a scam, just like the others, just a slightly different line. Stay away from any company that wants any fee upfront. Doesn't matter whether they say they have a buyer, they most definitely do not. No legitimate company does business that way.

Thank you!!

ekinggill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please!

If you get approached by these companies that are obviously trying to scam you, bring it to the attention of the Florida AG. (If you or the company are in FL)

There at last is someone trying to shut these guys down...let's not wait until we are victims do turn these clowns in.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the Florida AG?

Attorney-General.

A look at the top of this sticky thread will show that some state (especially Florida) Attorneys-General are going after these upfront fee scammers, raiding their boiler-room offices, and shutting them down.

The Florida A-G is also suing some of the scam operations and getting refunds for victims.

MPanto

Reaction score
Scammers

I have been trying to sell (or give away) my timeshare for almost a year and been contacted by at least a dozen co's. All wanted me to pay crazy fees. BUT, everyone had a so called success rate and happy clients. Are these clients just shills or is there some truth to this action. I never paid a cent to any of them thinking they were scammers. But yet I still haven't been able to come out from my timeshare contract. Recently I have been approached by Easy TimeShare Donations.com. Has anyone had any dealings or are they just the same scammers in sheep clothing?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
They are all scammers. Anyone who calls you is a scammer.

frenchieinme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who's held accountable?

I noticed most atty-gnl lawsuits against timeshare frauds happen to be corporations. When getting sued, how can the atty genl prevent someone from starting up another corp? Maybe in the final agreement the individual is barred from doing business in that field? If so, his wife takes over and business as usual? :shrug: :wall:

frenchieinme :hi:

WayWest

Reaction score
Information request to report fraud/ scams

A tugger previously listed a check list on a post. It listed sites such as the BBB, Attorney General, Police, and ripoffreport.com, as well as others, to contact and report fraud/scams. Does anyone have that thread? Thanks