• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2009 ] Just purchased at Valdoro Lodge--SANITY CHECK, PLEASE!!!

RLG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Abound Chairman (SMV; SDO; SBP; Lakeside Terrace, Willow Ridge). HGVC, Worldmark. RCI points
RLG, our unit is a 3BR sleeping 8 and ... rented.. for $4000 during week 52... The 2BR should go for less.. probably for around $2700.

Sorry, I read your previous post too quickly and didn't notice that yours was a three bedroom unit rather than the two bedroom the OP is buying. I agree with your 2700 assessment of the rental value for the 2br. IIRC, that's about what I got for my week 52 last year.

However, if I update my previous math to reflect a 2700 estimate rental value, the "return" is significantly worse. The savings from owning, i.e. the difference between rental cost and maintenance, is now only $1700. That represents a 7.4% return on his 23k. Not very good given the less than stellar record of holding value for timeshares and the fact that he may not always want to go during new years.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
.... And, did they give you an update about the Valdoro River House? I saw the house on a rental website and I think it looks very nice. With the prices they were asking (500K for a week 52/70000 points plus 10K mf's) I can imagine that they needed to rent it out in this economy. I would love to be able to use points to get it for a ski week!

At my owner's update in December I asked the same question of the salesperson. A wealthy individual purchased the property from Hilton(?), outright. The party that owns it is advertising its availability in Brek and perhaps elsewhere. Kildahl

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Otter, did some quick checking and looks like a good deal for a fixed ski week at the valley of gold! Congrats and welcome aboard! Kildahl

Reaction score
Done Deal

At the risk of kick starting this discussion once again, I just wanted to let you know how we ended up after all of this (I'm already putting on my suit of armor to deflect the incoming rounds).

Thank you, first off, to everyone--both in favor of and opposed to the purchase--who contributed their thoughts to the process. Every single idea was helpful in contributing to our decision making process. I've not been posting on here too terribly long, but what I believe was my first post on here spoke to what a terrific site I thought this was for exactly that reason.

We did go ahead and keep the purchase. Certainly not because it was the best deal we ever could've gotten on it, and yes it's likewise very reasonable to say that as go the $$$ per point it was awfully pricey. But the fact of the matter is it is about a perfect fit for what we want/need for our family and the vacations we'd like to take (even if this is just once every two years), and on the chance we can't use it on any given year due to conflicting plans, we are reasonably assured we can rent it to more than cover maintenance fees and not regress financially over it. Although I think it a stretch to call a timeshare property a sound financial investment as go fiscal rates of return, at least this one has legitimate potential to give back a little at times it is not otherwise workable for us (if we're doing something else on a particular New Year's, etc). From what I've seen, not too many timeshares are easily rented at times they are not otherwise useable by the owner (to include ours in Hawaii, with which we're still very happy). Again, we're buying it to use it, but we consider that a nice safety net and even a benefit.

It didn't hurt the desire to buy that our week at Valdoro from which we just returned was like you read about (I'll reply to the post I started looking for information on Valdoro, with some of that feedback, as promised). I had heard many great things about Valdoro, and just about every single one of them turned out to be true. I'm sure it MAY not be the nicest or most luxurious TS in Breck, let alone the Colorado Rockies, but it more than satisfied our sense of what we're looking for to take the idea of owning there seriously. It's easy to see why that property was in high demand to the point of selling out.

There is obviously much more that went into the decision for us, but this at least hits the highlights.

Thanks again for your help. Feedback is certainly still welcome and appreciated, although at this point I guess it'd be more for the purpose of offering either congratulations or condolences, as appropriate. I like to think I have a kind heart and a thick skin, so by all means don't hold back either way.

See you on the slopes.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
At the risk of kick starting this discussion once again, I just wanted to let you know how we ended up after all of this (I'm already putting on my suit of armor to deflect the incoming rounds).

Thank you, first off, to everyone--both in favor of and opposed to the purchase--who contributed their thoughts to the process. Every single idea was helpful in contributing to our decision making process. I've not been posting on here too terribly long, but what I believe was my first post on here spoke to what a terrific site I thought this was for exactly that reason.

We did go ahead and keep the purchase. Certainly not because it was the best deal we ever could've gotten on it, and yes it's likewise very reasonable to say that as go the $$$ per point it was awfully pricey. But the fact of the matter is it is about a perfect fit for what we want/need for our family and the vacations we'd like to take (even if this is just once every two years), and on the chance we can't use it on any given year due to conflicting plans, we are reasonably assured we can rent it to more than cover maintenance fees and not regress financially over it. Although I think it a stretch to call a timeshare property a sound financial investment as go fiscal rates of return, at least this one has legitimate potential to give back a little at times it is not otherwise workable for us (if we're doing something else on a particular New Year's, etc). From what I've seen, not too many timeshares are easily rented at times they are not otherwise useable by the owner (to include ours in Hawaii, with which we're still very happy). Again, we're buying it to use it, but we consider that a nice safety net and even a benefit.

It didn't hurt the desire to buy that our week at Valdoro from which we just returned was like you read about (I'll reply to the post I started looking for information on Valdoro, with some of that feedback, as promised). I had heard many great things about Valdoro, and just about every single one of them turned out to be true. I'm sure it MAY not be the nicest or most luxurious TS in Breck, let alone the Colorado Rockies, but it more than satisfied our sense of what we're looking for to take the idea of owning there seriously. It's easy to see why that property was in high demand to the point of selling out.

There is obviously much more that went into the decision for us, but this at least hits the highlights.

Thanks again for your help. Feedback is certainly still welcome and appreciated, although at this point I guess it'd be more for the purpose of offering either congratulations or condolences, as appropriate. I like to think I have a kind heart and a thick skin, so by all means don't hold back either way.

See you on the slopes.

No flames from me. It's a personal decision. There is no right or wrong. It's whatever is best for you and your family.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your final decision.
Congratulations on your new purchase :cheer: :cheer: and I hope you have many wonderful family vacations at Valdoro Lodge :)

benjaminb13

Reaction score

See you on the slopes.

Congrats fellow thick-skinned timeshare junkie
..On buying your dream vacation.

The special times you spend with family are priceless.

cchapin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Otter,

If it makes your purchase seem any better. We purchased (quickly recinded) a 1 BR, fixed week 52, 4800 pts annual fixed plus 4800 pts annual floating (9600 pts total), last march for the hefty price of $42,900. Fortunately we found TUG and figured out we could have done a lot better on the secondary market. Having said that, we have been looking for a 2 Br annual fixed week 52 at Valdoro ever since and have yet to find anything much under $40K. I am not sure how to discount the every other year feature, but in general, I think you got a reasonable deal for that week at that resort. We have been also monitoring rentals and week 52, 2 bedrooms at Valdoro are pretty scarce, so not sure the rental option would have worked as well for you. Congrats on your becoming an owner, Valdoro is a great property.

ondeadlin

TUG Member
Reaction score
A suggestion to folks who are really interested in skiing Christmas or New Year's: Check out Hyatt.

I have friends who ski every Christmas and/or New Year's week. They're Hyatt owners (resale purchase) and appear to have no problem securing a week at either the Breckenridge or Beaver Creek properties, both of which are basically ski-in/ski-out. One year they did Aspen. They hope to do Northstar at some point in the future.

Now, they're advance planners, and I'd imagine they're calling or going online in the moment they're allowed to, but they have a lot of success.

And the cost-per-week is very low compared to the prices one usually sees for a fixed ski week at a comparable property.

benjaminb13

Reaction score
Otter,

If it makes your purchase seem any better. We purchased (quickly recinded) a 1 BR, fixed week 52, 4800 pts annual fixed plus 4800 pts annual floating (9600 pts total), last march for the hefty price of $42,900. Fortunately we found TUG and figured out we could have done a lot better on the secondary market. Having said that, we have been looking for a 2 Br annual fixed week 52 at Valdoro ever since and have yet to find anything much under $40K. I am not sure how to discount the every other year feature, but in general, I think you got a reasonable deal for that week at that resort. We have been also monitoring rentals and week 52, 2 bedrooms at Valdoro are pretty scarce, so not sure the rental option would have worked as well for you. Congrats on your becoming an owner, Valdoro is a great property.

Im sorry you missed your chance at Valdoro. Many times in an effort to help, other members will steer prospective buyers toward the cheapest possible denominator. Many timeshare buyers just want the special place at the special time and misinterpret the advice. If everyone bought the cheapest resale , you would see Flamingo, Bay club, Dunkeld purchases only. I almost cancelled my HGVC Waik purchase for Flamingo. Im glad I didint.
Anyway, onward and upward.

cchapin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Benjamin,

No need to feel sorry for us, we're so glad we found TUG in time and were able to recind before the deadline. I have no regrets in not purchasing from HGVC and am sure we will ultimately find what we are looking for at a fraction of the price. In the mean time we have managed to find several rentals at other convenient times that have served our needs. I would never advise anyone to purchase a time share without researching TUG boards first. I have learned a lot of great info over the last 9 months.

benjaminb13

Reaction score
Benjamin,

No need to feel sorry for us, we're so glad we found TUG in time and were able to recind before the deadline. I have no regrets in not purchasing from HGVC and am sure we will ultimately find what we are looking for at a fraction of the price. In the mean time we have managed to find several rentals at other convenient times that have served our needs. I would never advise anyone to purchase a time share without researching TUG boards first. I have learned a lot of great info over the last 9 months.

Try and check out the Hyatt s(HVC) in Colorado. You may find what you are looking

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
But the fact of the matter is it is about a perfect fit for what we want/need for our family and the vacations we'd like to take
That says it all, IMO. Congratulations on your decision -- I'm sure you will enjoy many great vacations.

Kurt

jlhorne

Reaction score

See you on the slopes.

Congrats on the purchase! I also certainly hope my comments did not sound or feel like incoming artilery, but if they did I apologize.

It sounds like you considered the numbers and it makes sense to you. Timeshare ownership is not always about getting the best deal, but is about being comfortable with economics of your purchase (afterwards) and then going forth and enoying your vacations. I hope you have many GRAND TIMES having christmas vacations in paradise (as the advertising states).

Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase! I also certainly hope my comments did not sound or feel like incoming artilery, but if they did I apologize.

Oh no, not at all. And no apologies necessary, to be sure. My saying that was just a lighthearted way of me ensuring the door would stay open to any feedback or advice anyone might continue to want to give.

Neither yours nor anyone else's feedback was offensive or overboard in the slightest. Even if any of it had been, if for some reason I can't deal with the answers, then I really shouldn't be asking the quesitons. I can think of no remedy better than brutal honesty, when it comes time to get all the information there is worth considering pursuant to making a decision like that. I'm far more grateful for everyone taking their time to help with the process, than I ever would be offended by what they said.

Thanks for the well wishes.

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
EOY Ski - booking window?

Pulling this one out of the way way back file.

I just closed on a platinum ski week at Valdoro. It's EOY even. So 2016 is my first year of usage. From reading this ancient thread I saw a comment that the entire ski season window opens all at once rather than the standard 12-month rolling window we all know and love. Is that true? If so, how does an EOY owner book? In other words, it could be very confusing since the ski season starts in November and ends in March. Does my "even" year mean I can book a stay in January to March 2016 or in November to December 2016 or does it include what I would call the 2016 "ski season" from November 2016 to March 2017.

If you own annual it may not matter. But for us EOY'ers it definately does. Anyone know the answer? :wall:

And when do I get my points? If booking a ski week in January 2016 is an option then I would have to have access to my points in January 2015. Is that how EOY points work?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Just purchased at Valdoro Lodge--SANITY CHECK, PLEASE!!!

i dont know the answer, there are not many Valdoro owners or threads here. its a complicated ownership, some were sold as fixed ski week plus summer float. i would suggest a phone call to the resort resale department to get a definitive answer.

Duncan Newland, Managing Broker at 970-547-4071

http://www.valdoro.com/Discover-Ownership.html

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I talked with Duncan. Thanks for the lead, SmithOp! I got the answer to my two questions:

1. Question: For my EOY even ownership is my "ski season" (the months when I can book my week) in Jan - Mar 2016 and then again Nov to Dec 2016 or is it Nov 2016 - Mar 2017. Answer: It's from Nov 2016 - Mar 2017. So I own the "2016 ski season" which could mean we go skiing in early 2017.

2. Question: Does Valdoro open the booking window for the ski season all at once or is it like all other HGVC properties with a rolling 12-month priority window. Answer: It's the same as all other HGVC's with a rolling 12-month booking window for owners.

joelisac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yea right

I have not been able to book a week anytime during the ski season, even though I own there. Too many people just let Valdora rent out there week to pay the maintenance fee, and Valdora gets the rest. I wish I hadn't bought there. So not only are you competing with the many people who own there, you're also competing with Valdora itself.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have not been able to book a week anytime during the ski season, even though I own there. Too many people just let Valdora rent out there week to pay the maintenance fee, and Valdora gets the rest. I wish I hadn't bought there. So not only are you competing with the many people who own there, you're also competing with Valdora itself.
You profile says you only own at Elara; do you also own Valdoro as well?

Unless you own a winter fixed or floating week at Valdoro, a Valdoro owner has no advantage booking winter ski time over any other HGVC owner, because you are constrained to the 9-month booking window. Valdoro ski weeks have very high demand; it is possible to book some time, but you can't be picky and you also need some luck.

Bottom line, if you want to reliably book a ski week at Valdoro, you need to own a ski week at Valdoro in order to get the 12-month booking advantage.

Kurt

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bottom line: total cost to us of $23,898.90 (including $118.90 loan origination fee.

Not my cup of tea. Years ago I bought a large 2 bedroom, 2 bath ski Week at Orofino in Dillon which is an easy drive to both Breckenridge and Keystone. I paid $1,000. Today you could probably buy it for $500 (or less). My Son now owns it.

I will readily concede that it is not as nice as what you bought. On the other hand our Orofino Week is both decent and comfortable and I spent $23,000 (not counting interest and higher MFs) less for a Week we can use every year. To each his own I guess.

George

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, I do own a winter week at Valdora. 7000 points ODD years.
So you are saying that you are not able to book your Valdoro Home Week reservation in a 2BR at the 12-month mark on odd years?

Kurt

joelisac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kurt. I don't have a home week, floating winter. So, if I want to book a spring break, I have been unable to. I don't know how it gets filled so quickly, but it does. Again, I think most owners turn it over to Valdoro and they will rent a week out of 4 or 5K, pay the owner's maintenance fees, and everybody is happy. Except for those who are trying to get in.

When you book, do you book on January 1 for the next March winter season? Or do you have to wait until March to book the following March?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok, that makes a bit more sense. The 3-4 spring break weeks in March would obviously be the most popular weeks, so you are competing against all the other floating winter week owners for those few March weeks.

Complicating things, there were also fixed ski weeks sold at Valdoro. I certainly don't know for sure, but I could easily imagine that they sold more March weeks as fixed, vs. January weeks, further reducing the number of weeks in March that would be available to winter float owners. You could easily be in the situation where 90% of the winter float week owners are trying to book the 5% of winter float weeks that are actually in March.

Supply and demand at its finest / worst.

Kurt