• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2008 Thread] oops

LnM

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll call this the oops thread, Went to Vegas- PH resort for the "deal", "just say no, was the plan", then it happened, "oops". Needless to say we now own, sort of. Is there any way to back out after signing the initial paperwork and making a down payment? Or is "sort of" permanent? Does Nevada have a safety backout time clause that we don't know about. OR should we just start enjoying our timeshare in 2011. lol thanks

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
In your purchase doc's there are very specific terms for rescinding. If you are still within that time frame, you can rescind, completely legally and get all your money back - usually you have only a few days. From your post, I can't tell how long it's been. If you still have time, it's critical that you following the instructions for rescinding EXACTLY.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Rescinda-Sinda-Sinda.

Is there any way to back out after signing the initial paperwork and making a down payment? Or is "sort of" permanent? Does Nevada have a safety backout time clause that we don't know about.
Full-freight timeshare purchases -- you know, buying straight from the timeshare company when they snooker you in during 1 of those timeshare sales tours & sales pitches -- those typically have a brief cooling off period during which people struck with buyer regret can call the whole thing off. But it's a matter of a few days at most, so time is of the essence if you're at all inclined to undo the deal.

If there is a rescission period, then there is also a rescission process that's spelled out somewhere in the documents they handed you when you signed the purchase paperwork. To get out of it, find where that process is spelled out & follow it to the letter -- pronto, while there's still time (if there's still time).

Good luck.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'll call this the oops thread, Went to Vegas- PH resort for the "deal", "just say no, was the plan", then it happened, "oops". Needless to say we now own, sort of. Is there any way to back out after signing the initial paperwork and making a down payment? Or is "sort of" permanent? Does Nevada have a safety backout time clause that we don't know about. OR should we just start enjoying our timeshare in 2011. lol thanks
You have a right of rescision granted by the federal Consumer Credit Protection Act of 1968 which allows you to void a contract within three business days with full refund of any down payment and without penalty. This is designed to protect consumers from high-pressure sales tactics and hasty credit commitments.

LnM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the info, duh, read the contract... so anyways if I can figure out how to get a certified notice of cancellation to Florida by midnight tonight (from Oregon) we could be in the clear.. do ya suppose that they count leapyear day as a holiday? just kidding. For the record, Its 5 calender days from the day after signing, signed on 2/27.

looks like i have lots to learn.

J

JoeMid

It only has to be post marked within the rescission period, it doesn't have to arrive.

Hey thanks for the info, duh, read the contract... so anyways if I can figure out how to get a certified notice of cancellation to Florida by midnight tonight (from Oregon) we could be in the clear.. do ya suppose that they count leapyear day as a holiday? just kidding. For the record, Its 5 calender days from the day after signing, signed on 2/27.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

It won't cost you much to try - You can definitely get a FAX and email to them before midnight tonight and follow up with the certified letter (U.S. mail) in the morning. Be direct and firm in your communications - state definitely that you ARE rescinding. Don't be wishy-washy. State the facts, but keep it brief and business like. You might even get some kind of mail sent out of a Kinko's business center tonight.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You have a right of rescision granted by the federal Consumer Credit Protection Act of 1968 which allows you to void a contract within three business days with full refund of any down payment and without penalty. This is designed to protect consumers from high-pressure sales tactics and hasty credit commitments.

Doesn't the recission period for timeshares vary from state-to-state?

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This law has nothing to do with timeshares. It launched a Federal Truth in Lending Disclosure Law.

Fern

LnM

TUG Member
Reaction score
could we do just as well for less money, exchange - use wise etc. somewhere else? my feeling is yes, wife is not happy.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
could we do just as well for less money, exchange - use wise etc. somewhere else? my feeling is yes, wife is not happy.

You can buy resale for a fractions of the cost. Look at the timeshares for sale on ebay.

My last two ebay purchases were for ocean front timeshare in Hawaii for $1,300 and $1,500!

You have nothing to lose by rescinding, doing your homework, and buying something you are comfortable with and can pay cash for!

LnM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the help, well see what happens!

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
The Timeshare Company Says It's New Even Though It's Used-Used-Used.

"Used" timeshares are unlike used cars. For cars, you pay less after they've already gone 50,000 miles or so, but the car you get is worn, needs tires, won't last as long as a new car, lacks that new-car smell, etc.

With timeshares it's completely different in that there is no such thing as a new timeshare no matter how much you pay.

It's not simply that by buying resale you get a timeshare unit somebody's stayed in before -- it's actually that when you buy a so-called "new" timeshare for big bux you also get a timeshare unit that somebody's already stayed in before you ever get there.

So if you like your full-freight timeshare, just rescind while there's time & then buy the same thing resale. You save thousands & still get what you would have got at full freight

Click here for more insights.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
1st Things 1st.

wife is not happy.
Keeping wife happy is more important than saving big bux on timeshares, new or used mox nix.

I myself have been married long enough to know that efficiency means letting The Chief Of Staff have her own way sooner .

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Whatever else you do, follow the instructions to the letter, and get the recision letter to the post office and post marked TODAY. They may even be able to hand stamp it for you as a certified letter as your wording seems to indicate. Either way, get busy!!! The "deal" will always be out there for you later should decide you must have this resort...but you won't.

I just realized a "hand stamp" may not actually have a postmark date on it. Get to the post office and they'll make it happen so it has today's postmark on it.

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Plan B = Keepa-Keepa-Keepa.

one day late
OK, rescission period is over so now you've got a timeshare. Congratulations.

Plan A (rescinda-sinda-sinda) didn't work, so now it's on to Plan B -- making the most of your timeshare vacation opportunities, having fun, enjoying luxury timeshare accommodations instead of Motel 6 & Super 8, etc.

You are not the 1st timeshare buyers to pay full freight & you won't be the last. The main thing now is not to let buyer regret get in the way of enjoying your timeshare.

Welcome aboard.

LnM

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife called westgate and asked the question, "how easy will it be to exchange our week for a week in say Pueblo Benito los cabos sunset beach"? (just an example as she knows someone who owns there)
Of course they told her that it is very easy and that our PH 1bdrm will have very good trading value. For now our trade is westgate flamingo bay LV. until they get the towers built. Her question is how easy will it be?, my question is how hard would it be if possible at all. Reality check on isle one please.