• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2008] Successful cancellation of Westgate purchase

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Thanks for the comment. In fact I don't have risk of default once I've payed by Credit Card and the next 3 payments shall be made in the same way....

There is no need for you to pay any credit card bills on this timeshare. You have mailed your rescission letter and have your receipt. You owe nothing.

When the Visa bill comes for your initial deposit, if it comes, call Visa and tell them the charge is for a timeshare you rescinded on and it needs to be deleted.

When you open a dispute like this you won't need to pay until Visa settles the dispute. It will be settled in your favor.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll do everything legally, I'm a military and the last thing I want is a process against me...

My actual question was did your attorney indicate if they could actually do anything to force you to pay since you are in Brazil and they are in Florida, assuming you would close out the credit card and get a new number ?

Claucio

Reaction score
My actual question was did your attorney indicate if they could actually do anything to force you to pay since you are in Brazil and they are in Florida, assuming you would close out the credit card and get a new number ?

No, he didn't. As a matter of fact, I didn't ask him. I'll wait until my cancellation request is delivered and then I'll call VISA and fax them all documents. Let's see if my cancellation will be effective. I'll keep you informed about the process. It' may be useful to someone. Thanks to everyone!

Last edited:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
no, he didn't. As a matter of fact, i didn't ask him. I'll wait until my cancellation request is delivered and then i'll call visa and fax them all documents. Let's see if my cancellation will be effective. I'll keep you informed about the process. It' may be useful to someone. Thanks to everyone!

get proof you sent it in 10 days and you are done​

Claucio

Reaction score
get proof you sent it in 10 days and you are done​

Well...let's update you about my process. I sent the cancellation request on november 12th and it was delivered on november 15th. Two days later I received a call from the seller of Westgate to know the reason I was canceling. I told him and 2 days later another person (the guy that explained to me the papers) called me asking the very same question. He said that I could not cancel because the contract was already signed. He asked me if I was in touch with some attorney. I said no to see how far ho would go...He insisted that I could not cancel and the penalties would be too expensive (lie, the contract says very clearly that I can cancel within 10 calendar days). I continued just listening and recording the phone call to see how far he would go. When I said that I have contacted an attorney, he changed the speech, saying that he had another unit, cheaper, to exchange. I said that even if it would cost 1 dollar I would never buy anything from Westgate and then he hung up on me. I sent VISA all documents a couple of days after the first phone call of them and I got back the total amount in my credit card, but they said me that they would contact Westgate to confirm if all documents were ok and then officially cancel my purchase.
I'll let you know when it's done!

Thanks everyone.

deannak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good for you for recording that call! - Deanna

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I told him and 2 days later another person (the guy that explained to me the papers) called me asking the very same question. He said that I could not cancel because the contract was already signed....He insisted that I could not cancel and the penalties would be too expensive (lie, the contract says very clearly that I can cancel within 10 calendar days). I continued just listening and recording the phone call to see how far he would go. When I said that I have contacted an attorney, he changed the speech, saying that he had another unit, cheaper, to exchange. I said that even if it would cost 1 dollar I would never buy anything from Westgate and then he hung up on me.

Wow! You gotta love the classiness and professionalism of timeshare salespeople.:ponder:

Canon5D2

Reaction score
Good bye Westgate

I just wanted to send a big thank you to this forum thread. Due to your helpful information I am on my way to canceling my time share purchase with Westgate. I to was lured in by the fancy models, and smooth sales people. It was only after we got home and I did a little research did I see the error of our ways. I quickly sent out certified letters to every Westgate address I could find. A representative called today and of course offered great deals for less money which we nicely declined and she said our cancelation paper work be on its way.

dplee

Reaction score
Westgate Timeshare, Orlando Cancellation

Hello,

My husband and I fell for the salesman pitch after being harassed for over three hours on Dec 28, 2012. When I got home I started doing research because I was so uneasy. I was fortunate enough to access this forum and get more enlightened on Westgate Resort. However, there is nothing in the paperwork to complete for an appeal. Can I just write a letter and send it certified? What address do I send it to? Any assistance giving will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The address is in that paperwork you signed.

You can just send a simple letter, "I/We wish to exercise our legal right to rescind the contract, XXXXXX-XXX, dated 12-28-2012 at wherever you signed it.

Signed (both signers of the original contract)

We suggest you send it certified w/returned receipt.

The instructions and address will not be prominent. Those weasels hide that stuff, but it's there.

Best wishes, and Welcome to TUG!

Jim

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did they give you a CD? At one time they were burying information there.

Why don't you send poster 58 a PM and see who they are in contact with?

dplee

Reaction score
Westgate Resort, Orlando Cancellation

Hello,

There is a post address on the warranty deed. Can I use that address?
They also said that the CD will be mailed.

Thanks

dplee

Reaction score
Westgate Resort Cancellation

The address is in that paperwork you signed.

You can just send a simple letter, "I/We wish to exercise our legal right to rescind the contract, XXXXXX-XXX, dated 12-28-2012 at wherever you signed it.

Signed (both signers of the original contract)

We suggest you send it certified w/returned receipt.

The instructions and address will not be prominent. Those weasels hide that stuff, but it's there.

Best wishes, and Welcome to TUG!

Jim

Thank you Jim. I am going to start typing the letter now because no cancellation form was included in the packet. However, I was able to stop payment on the check and my husband cancelled his credit card to be replaced.

Thank you

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

There is a post address on the warranty deed. Can I use that address?
They also said that the CD will be mailed.

Thanks

That's a trick they employ to delay your rescission beyond the legal rescission period. Siegal et al should be jailed for their shady sales practices. I hope someone who has had the experience will chime in with the correct address in Orlando. Short of that, just 'shotgun' letters to every address you can find. It's unlikely that if you call them, that they will do anything but try to talk you out of the rescission or offer you yet another lower cost option.

To see their tactics and just how low they are, Netflix "The Queen of Versailles."

Stopping payment on the check and cancelling the CC was a good move, too.

We don't call that outfit 'Wastegate' for nothing!

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score

dplee

Reaction score
Westgate Resort, Orlando Cancellation

Hello,

I contacted Westgate Resort to obtain an address and was hung up on constantly. I finally was able to speak with a young lady who informed me that in order for me to cancel that I would need to speak with the Closing Officer Jonathan. I contacted Jonathan and he stated that I was lying and that Westgate didn't tell me to contact him. I informed him I wanted to exercise my right to cancel and he stated I couldn't and hung up the phone. I called Westgate Resort again and explained to them what Jonathan L stated and they said he was incorrect and he would have to start the cancellation. I informed them that I recorded the conversation and if I could contact Jonathan with the Westgate Agent on the phone. The agent stated yes, and I contacted Jonathan again with the agent and he picked the phone up. I informed him who I was and he hung up again.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I contacted Westgate Resort to obtain an address and was hung up on constantly. I finally was able to speak with a young lady who informed me that in order for me to cancel that I would need to speak with the Closing Officer Jonathan. I contacted Jonathan and he stated that I was lying and that Westgate didn't tell me to contact him. I informed him I wanted to exercise my right to cancel and he stated I couldn't and hung up the phone. I called Westgate Resort again and explained to them what Jonathan L stated and they said he was incorrect and he would have to start the cancellation. I informed them that I recorded the conversation and if I could contact Jonathan with the Westgate Agent on the phone. The agent stated yes, and I contacted Jonathan again with the agent and he picked the phone up. I informed him who I was and he hung up again.

If you wish to cancel then the chances are very good that you have to do in writing via certified mail. You can call until the cows come home, and you'll still be on the hook.

Do it in writing via certified mail, return receipt requested.

Don't waste any time at all, get down to your local Post Office and get it in the mail ASAP.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are very sorry that you are having to go through all this just to exercise your rights under the law. As long as you find an address to Westgate Resorts in Orlando. Any address of theirs- and mail a letter certified to them, and keep copies of the letter and the receipt you will get from the USPS dated within the 5 working day period, and have stopped payment on your check and cancelled the CC, don't pay them a cent. Don't answer their calls (they'll call). If you have to, send copies of the above letter to your CC, to show that you rescinded as indicated, you are home free.

We are appalled by their tactics. I wish we could tell you that your experience is isolated. It isn't. This is the way they are. Without honor. Letters to the BBB won't help. They already have an 'F' rating.

Keep it up. We're behind you.

Jim

lcml11

Reaction score
Thank you Jim. I am going to start typing the letter now because no cancellation form was included in the packet. However, I was able to stop payment on the check and my husband cancelled his credit card to be replaced.

Thank you

If the contract does not have a right to cancel in it, you may be the proud owner of a timeshare. You alternative is litigation, formal complaints, etc. Assuming the resort is in a jurisdication that requires a cancelation provision with x days.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

The resort is not going to help you. They are losing commission that was January rent money.

Try the following making it clear recession information was not provided you and need address!

Major executive

Mark Waltrip
Chief Operating Officer
Westgate Resorts
407-351-3351 ext. 101
mark_waltrip@wgresorts.com

E-mail owner relations

http://westgateresorts.com/owners/service-requests/

Phone # 800-925-9999

Mailing Address

Central Florida Investments, Inc.
Corporate Headquarters
5601 Windhover Dr.
Orlando, Florida 32819

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If the contract does not have a right to cancel in it, you may be the proud owner of a timeshare. You alternative is litigation, formal complaints, etc. Assuming the resort is in a jurisdication that requires a cancelation provision with x days.

This is not correct - the right to cancel is established by state law, whether or not the resort provides the info. needed to cancel. It is not unusual for unethical sales people to leave this info. out of the sales documents.

The OP should quit calling Westgate and send a registered letter immediately!

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Hello,

I had friends who made the mistake of buying a Westgate week. Westgate left out the information to cancel the contract from their copies. Undoubtedly they would have them on file if push came to shove.

At any rate, what I had her do was google Westgates information online. We then prepared a cancellation letter and sent it to their corporate offices as well as the address of the sales office at the resort they made their purchase, in this case Westgate Smokey Mountain resort. Both letters were sent certified with return reciept requested. That did the trick and they never had another problem.

The right to cancel is written into the laws in every state but varies some from state to state. It CAN NOT be revoked by a salesman leaving the information out and they CAN NOT legally have you sign a waiver voiding your right to rescind.

dplee

Reaction score
Westgate Resort, Orlando, Cancellation

Hello All,

I have already typed the letter to cancel and will mail it certified on Wed, Jan 3, 2013. The post office closed early do to the holiday. I appreciate all the support and information provided in this forum. I will post an update soon!

Again, thank you and Happy New Year!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since they bought on 12/28 and there was a Sunday and New Year's Day, they have until at least Friday 1/4 to get the rescission letter postmarked. Me, I'd have had it in the mail 12/31 since the Post Office was open, but then I am not deadline driven.