• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2008] Boutique Resort La Jolla, Mazatlan Mexico Scam

PJTSytms97

Reaction score
Boutique Resort La Jolla, Mazatlan Mexico Scam

Boutique Resort La Jolla and I have arrived at a settlement agreement.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Thanks so much for following up on your situation. I hope the agreement was satisfactory for you. It must be a great relief to finally have a resolution.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay

It is good to hear that things worked out for you. You put in a lot of time and effort.

PJTSytms97

Reaction score
Boutique Resort La Jolla Mazatlan Mexico Scam

I have reached a settlement agreement with the resort. As a condition of this settlement, I have asked the administrators to remove my previous posts from this thread.
May I offer thanks to all who have offered support during this very long and difficullt situation.

PJTSytms97

Clintshare

Reaction score
Great news

I have followed your travails since you started. I am happy for you! Your tenacity in the face of such a mess is remarkable and has been rewarded.:)

Hopefully, your experience will benefit others!

"I have reached a settlement agreement with the resort. As a condition of this settlement, I have asked the administrators to remove my previous posts from this thread.
May I offer thanks to all who have offered support during this very long and difficullt situation."

mpariseau

Reaction score
La Jolla Boutique Scam

I fell in love with Mazatlan and bought a timeshare in 1987. I have enjoyed many years at my timeshare. My timeshare is soon to expire and I thought I should start to look for a new timeshare. I was approached by LaJolla on the street to view their timeshare pressentation. Steve, who stated he was the developer, brought in from CA to keep things moving was here to give me the best deal they had. He offered to take my current timeshare and compared it to the "Cash for Clunkers" that was currently being done in the U.S. He said the program would allow him to give me $15,000 to trade in my current timeshare. So it sounded like a good deal that the U.S. government was giving. When I returned to my current timeshare that day, I made a phone call to the number of LaJolla to arrange the timeshare trade and that is when I found out that they planned to sell it and there was no program. I then called Bank of America and Bank of America made it sound like it was no problem and they would take care of it because I had emailed, faxed and hand delivered my cancellation to LaJolla. I went back to LaJolla and talked to Fransicso Kelly, he stated and showed me the fax that they had received from me. Fransicso stated they Steve was going to be fired that day for misrepresenting LaJolla. I saw Steve the next day, still working at LaJolla. I filed a complaint with Profeco and sent all the necessary paperwork. The first meeting with Profeco and LaJolla, was held in October, 2010. I received a response from Profeco on October 21, 2010 stating that LaJolla would refund me $2,850 of my $15,000 original claim. I responded to Profeco that this was not satisfactory and another court date is set for January, 2011.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We own there and have had the opportunity to go for the month of June in 2009 & 2010. We purchased the entire month of June in the villa above the model by the pool. We just loved it and had friends join us. We can hardly wait until June 2011. We were fortunate that we got what we bought for a great price.

Sorry to hear about your problem. Since we were over the model unit, I heard several "tales" that salesmen were telling potential buyers. We lucked out and got a low key salesman when we bought. He just laid it out and made no pie in the sky promises. He knew that we owned other timeshares and did not want to trade them in. Therefore, he just showed us what he had and what it cost. We bought a fixed month in a specific unit.

stopfraud

Reaction score
Timeshare buying - wherever.

Phyllis,
It was not just luck. You are smart and you knew what you were doing.

flexible

TUG Member
Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS on your settlement! You might recall our PMs in October 2008 when my husband and I visited La Jolla. My husband was extremely impressed with everything he was told about HSI. We recognized many of their timeshare reps from El Cid where we have a 3.4M point contract and they remembered us.

When I used their WiFi and found your post I printed it out and showed it the reps and the two owners at La Jolla. They said it was the first they knew of your complaint. (I bet that was not true.) We did NOT buy because what were told by the Reps about HSI was NOT what HSI told us EVEN though they allowed us to use their office telephones to call and fax HSI. Eventually HSI (after about six phone calls and faxes refused to discuss a potential HSI membership with us because of the conflicting information from the timeshare representatives and the HSI representatives. We returned to La Jolla about five times during two weeks and eventually I sensed their owners could care less if we purchased because they knew I would hold them accountable for everything they told me AND I would require them to SIGN documents I typed up listing the VERBAL promises made. That way I could make a check list so we had a full and complete understanding.

If EVERYONE on TUG that went to timeshare presentations would search TUG during the presentation perhaps AND read any possible concerns like yours to the liner/closer/management while there perhaps people like you and http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=837698 would have quicker resolutions.

I have reached a settlement agreement with the resort. As a condition of this settlement, I have asked the administrators to remove my previous posts from this thread.
May I offer thanks to all who have offered support during this very long and difficullt situation. PJTSytms97

I am unsure if we will upgrade any of our various timeshare contracts soon BUT I am certain any timeshare that does NOT fulfill their WRITTEN AGREEMENTS with me will regret it. I understand it costs money to run a safe, clean, relaxing and FUN resort with good food BUT if a timeshare thinks they can lie to me and I will not post it online they are mistaken. I was a software consultant for 20 years and have over a dozen personal hobby websites so I am familar with search engine tactics to be sure any future complaint will be one of the TOP search engine results whenever someone enters a resort name in quotes + complaint.

Last edited:

DianeH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I so wish we could get atleast a portion of the money Torrenza stole from us. Now they are sending Maintenance bills for Torrenza Boutique which they cleverly bought and renovated when they knew they would not be able to honor the original Torrenza towers purchase agreement. Our response? 'we did not purchase this timeshare, we purchased the towers and therefore we will not pay MF's on a property we have not purchased.'
If they gave us half back we'd be happy and quiet. Until then......:wall:

flexible

TUG Member
Reaction score
I so wish we could get atleast a portion of the money Torrenza stole from us. Now they are sending Maintenance bills for Torrenza Boutique which they cleverly bought and renovated when they knew they would not be able to honor the original Torrenza towers purchase agreement. Our response? 'we did not purchase this timeshare, we purchased the towers and therefore we will not pay MF's on a property we have not purchased.'
If they gave us half back we'd be happy and quiet. Until then......:wall:

Are you saying they want you to pay MF on what was originally Playa Marina? Are the still building the Torrenza Towers in the Golden Zone. We met with them on their grand opening in late October 2008. Is it another "Bellaire" like the one in PV next to Velas Vallarta?

My husband purchased 2 weeks at Marina del Rey (in Mazatlan). He pre-paid the MF for the life of the contract when Luis needed money to build Playa Maria next door. My husband purchased a 2 week contract at Playa Maria with a GUARANTEED MF of $325 per week per 1 bedroom unit. Luis sold Playa Marina because he needed money to build a third project next door for full time owners.

We were told our PM weeks internally accumulated. We were told we had to use up accumulated weeks by 31 Dec 2008 so we made reservations and banked them with exchange companies. We used 4 in October 2008. The last week we were there a "3rd owner" showed up. So the "Playa Maria" sign came down and if I remember correctly a "Crown Bay" sign went up. After returning from PV in February, the new sign was "Grand Bay." The next sign was "Torrenza Boutique."

If I recall correctly the 3rd or 4th owner told Playa Maria owners that had to pay to CERTIFY their weeks and the MF would rise substantially. We never responded to their requests.

Have you ever visited what was Playa Maria recently?