• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2008] Beware of new scammer on the scene. The Vacation Depot

jdetar

TUG Member
Reaction score
So my mother gets a call from "Vacation Depot" or "www.thevacationdepot.com" about selling her timeshare. She thought it was odd timing as she just spoke with Marriott an hour before, but apparently they have nothing in common. I spoke with them and spoke with an "Amanda" who offered to sell our Marriott Surf Watch for a GUARANTEED $18,000 - $22,400.

She didn't skip a beat when I said it was an outrageous price, and said she already has a buyer lined up. I said, ok great! Then I'll sweeten your deal, you can sell it at your minimum price, plus I'll throw in another $1,000 and you will be paid everything at the closing, not the $598 you want upfront now. She said we'll have to speak with the deed owner (my mother) I said sure thing and got her on the line and she hung up. :rofl:

Called her back and left a message and never heard back. With the deal I offered they should be jumping through hoops to make an extra grand with such a quick sale. :wall:

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JoeMid

I'm on the do not call list and today I've had three calls about my credit card debt (all from India) and one call about my timeshare did I want to rent or sell it. I expect that The Vacation Depot is not new although the name might be.

jdetar

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm on the do not call list and today I've had three calls about my credit card debt (all from India) and one call about my timeshare did I want to rent or sell it. I expect that The Vacation Depot is not new although the name might be.

You're probably right, they said they were Incorporated as "Vacation Depot" in Florida, but their domain name is very new:

Domain Name: THEVACATIONDEPOT.COM
Created on: 21-Sep-08
Expires on: 21-Sep-09
Last Updated on: 06-Nov-08

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
Of the 18 properties listed on their website, most are Marriotts. Makes you wonder if it was started by someone who used to work at Marriott and "borrowed" a list. And the prices are outrageous!!!

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a call from (caller ID) Super Timeshare...? Tele # 813-935-5883 that said they were working from a Wyndham owner's list. I'm sure it's the same scam. I told them I was on the DNC list and they hung up.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

heronview

Reaction score
So my mother gets a call from "Vacation Depot" or "www.thevacationdepot.com" about selling her timeshare. She thought it was odd timing as she just spoke with Marriott an hour before, but apparently they have nothing in common. I spoke with them and spoke with an "Amanda" who offered to sell our Marriott Surf Watch for a GUARANTEED $18,000 - $22,400.

She didn't skip a beat when I said it was an outrageous price, and said she already has a buyer lined up. I said, ok great! Then I'll sweeten your deal, you can sell it at your minimum price, plus I'll throw in another $1,000 and you will be paid everything at the closing, not the $598 you want upfront now. She said we'll have to speak with the deed owner (my mother) I said sure thing and got her on the line and she hung up. :rofl:

Called her back and left a message and never heard back. With the deal I offered they should be jumping through hoops to make an extra grand with such a quick sale. :wall:

I also just received a call from the Vacation Depot. I am looking into seeing if this company is legit. Has anybody had actual dealings with this place? If this is a scam how does it work?

During the call I asked them to send me more information about the company which they did with their web page. They even called me back to see if I received the info and they will get back to me back after I had a chance to review the information they sent.

If they do call back is there any specific question I should ask them to see if they are for real?

Thanks

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also just received a call from the Vacation Depot. I am looking into seeing if this company is legit. Has anybody had actual dealings with this place? If this is a scam how does it work?

During the call I asked them to send me more information about the company which they did with their web page. They even called me back to see if I received the info and they will get back to me back after I had a chance to review the information they sent.

If they do call back is there any specific question I should ask them to see if they are for real?

Thanks

JUST SAY NO!

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
heronview -

Suppose some homeless person you meet on the street offers a GUARANTEE to sell your timeshare for $$$ if you'll simply give him $598 upfront. Would you do it? Of course not! Then why would you consider being more trusting of someone or some company that you have never heard of that cold-calls you or sends you an unsolicited e-mail message?

The way the scam works is that you pay the money and never hear from the company again. You might call to complain numerous times, but there is always some reason why the money-back guarantee (even if in writing) doesn't apply. Also, many such guarantees merely offer a longer listing rather than money back. Further, many of these companies, when the complaints mount up, simply move to a different state and set up under a new name.

For more information on upfront-fee scams and guidance on how to successfully sell your timeshare without getting scammed, please carefully read the "how to sell" article located at the top of the list of topics for this Buying, Selling, Renting forum.

As warned above, "Just say no!"

e.bram

Reaction score
SaveM:
with the homeless person you could deed it over to him(her) and be done the TS and MFs. With the upfront cos no such luck.

jdetar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah their money back guarantee is a joke. She was quick to tell me about it on the phone, then when I actually SAW it in their contract, it's laughable! Here it is:

"I understand that Vacation Depot , Inc. will advertise for the sale of my timeshare for a maximum period of 90 days. During this time, if my timeshare is
sold by me or any other company, within 20% of the advertised price or higher, I am to provide Vacation Depot , Inc. with proof of sale and Vacation Depot ,
Inc. will refund my advertising fee."

Since they overinflate their listings, obviously that's not going to happen. So kiss your money back guarantee goodbye. Even if you get Marriott to do your sale, they sell it below 20% as again, they sell it at more than the original developers price.

OWMBGV

Reaction score
Just got a call from "Karen" of Vacation Depot offering to buy my timeshare for more than Marriott is currently selling the same unit. She asked me how much my management fee was and then --- bam, its the same as the upfront fee I would have to pay her to sell my silver week for $21,500.00!!! This chick was trying way too hard to convince me that her organization was legit. I think I am going to string this chick out and have some fun with this for a while. :D

jdetar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got a call from "Karen" of Vacation Depot offering to buy my timeshare for more than Marriott is currently selling the same unit. She asked me how much my management fee was and then --- bam, its the same as the upfront fee I would have to pay her to sell my silver week for $21,500.00!!! This chick was trying way too hard to convince me that her organization was legit. I think I am going to string this chick out and have some fun with this for a while. :D

Yeah really. They waste our time and rip people off, waste theirs by having them draft up some contracts. Heck, tell them you own several others and to draft up contracts for all of them, and then ask them to make countless revisions, and offer them more $$$ in return for the headaches once the sale is made. :rofl:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
With HGVC, I only get called by Hilton-sales ~ 2x a year, no scammers.
Perhaps HGVC is a little more careful about who sees their owner's lists.

ROB1

Reaction score
Vacation Depot

Amanda is a smooth talker.

First some small talk about how warm it is in Florida.

Then the pitch. There is a convention this weekend in Orlando where several of her corporate clients will be presented with listings of available timeshares for purchase or rent. These corporate clients are looking to save money on the expenses they incur when they send their people to conventions. Rather than pay hotel expenses, they buy or rent timeshares. Something like that.

Amanda will present my timeshare for purchase at 9k above what we paid for it and the price it is listed for on Redweek, or to rent the week for 2500 above what a Platinum week generally sells for.

Too good to be true?:mad:

There is an $848 fee and she wants it right now, to be able to present to her clients this weekend.

Then asks for your credit card number.

Provides the web page, vacationdepot.org.

1. Why don't her corporate clients go directly to Marriott?
2. Why is the website a .org and not a .com?
3. Why is it so urgent?
4. Why would they agree to pay such an outrageous amount when they could go to redweek?
5. Who in their right mind would give out their credit card number after a 10 minute phone conversation?

What is interesting is that she called the day after I called Marriott and traded our week for points.

OWMBGV

Reaction score
Amanda is a smooth talker.

First some small talk about how warm it is in Florida.

Then the pitch. There is a convention this weekend in Orlando where several of her corporate clients will be presented with listings of available timeshares for purchase or rent. These corporate clients are looking to save money on the expenses they incur when they send their people to conventions. Rather than pay hotel expenses, they buy or rent timeshares. Something like that.

Amanda will present my timeshare for purchase at 9k above what we paid for it and the price it is listed for on Redweek, or to rent the week for 2500 above what a Platinum week generally sells for.

Too good to be true?:mad:

There is an $848 fee and she wants it right now, to be able to present to her clients this weekend.

Then asks for your credit card number.

Provides the web page, vacationdepot.org.

1. Why don't her corporate clients go directly to Marriott?
2. Why is the website a .org and not a .com?
3. Why is it so urgent?
4. Why would they agree to pay such an outrageous amount when they could go to redweek?
5. Who in their right mind would give out their credit card number after a 10 minute phone conversation?

What is interesting is that she called the day after I called Marriott and traded our week for points.

I think we had the same person of they are reading from the same script!:annoyed:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Sometimes their guaranty is that if they don't sell it in 90 days they will extend it for free. Of course they will, it doesn't cost them anything to extend your listing. You never get your money back.

Concerned

Reaction score
We fell for it (with hesitation, however)!

Response to Rob1

Wow, sounds like your experience with Amanda was just exactly the same as ours with Veronica! After two days, we went ahead and did it, however. We are going to ask for our $$ back. Does anyone know of any hitches here?

I have an email in to the Better Business Bureau about them and what the Florida laws are regarding getting out of the deal. We haven't received the contract yet to sign, so maybe that's a good thing.

According to TVD, when I told them I couldn't find them on the BBB, they said they were listed under Cambridge Marketing and Financial, that they had taken this company over. So I did check Cambridge out. They were a company which sold vacations, etc. supposedly at discounted rates, etc. They were rated A-, based on an unsolicited phone call issue.

When I receive a reply from the BBB I will post it.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of the 18 properties listed on their website, most are Marriotts. Makes you wonder if it was started by someone who used to work at Marriott and "borrowed" a list. And the prices are outrageous!!!

Two of the posters here indicate calls to Marriott prior to being contacted shortly after by the scammer. Makes me wonder about Marriott security and, perhaps, that a current Marriott employee may be involved.

Liliana

TUG Member
Reaction score
Premium Timeshare Depot

Happy New Year all!

I was just contacted by Jean from Premium Timeshare Depot to see if I wanted to sell my timeshare or rent it. That they worked with my TS, which I can't believe since they hardly ever get in touch with me, except when it's time to pay the MF, which I did a couple of days ago!!

Has anyone heard of these guys?

Thanks,
Silvia

TSResalez

Reaction score
Two of the posters here indicate calls to Marriott prior to being contacted shortly after by the scammer. Makes me wonder about Marriott security and, perhaps, that a current Marriott employee may be involved.

Thats scary, sounds like an employee leaking owner contact info after calling marriott for a resale option...ouch:doh:

mjta1234

Reaction score
if you dont want to be called then stop clicking on them "win a free ipod" buttons.. every time you click on somthin that pertains to marketing and it asks you to fill out questionaire..hmmm i think they ask if you own a timeshare

3 months later:crash:

Margaret King

Reaction score
Hi Liliana,

I happened to find this while I am showing my friend about Premium Timeshare Depot and felt the need to tell you this: I signed up with Michelle months ago and she had my timeshare sold at the auto convention out of Orlando. I sold my 2/2 for $16,500, I did not want to do the rental program they offer. It took about 4 months; however, the job was completed. I did not have to pay my MF this year! She is not at the Resort Premium Timeshare Depot is a Management company. The fee they charge was totally worth it! My friend is signing up today.

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do we have a shill in this poster?:doh:
I guess you are right. Even though the poster said it took 4 months to sell the timeshare, the (alleged) shill's company incorporated in Florida less than 3 months ago. The numbers just don't add up.

This is from the Florida Division of Corporations website:
Florida Limited Liability Company
PREMIUM TIMESHARE DEPOT, LLC
Filing Information
Document Number L08000097622
FEI Number NONE
Date Filed10/15/2008
State FL
Status ACTIVE
Effective Date10/10/2008