• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2 million seats @ 79 pence

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A little knowlodge can be very dangerous

Well no one knows everything - I certainly fall in that group! Most of us learn something new every day.

As for RCI they are the biggest and thus the easiest target. Heck, I rail against the big boys all the time in other fields and I'm not too happy with RCI either. But I don't think they are the devil. They are in a cut throat business that is in a sea of change - for that matter what business isn't right now - and they are able to take steps most companies can't afford to. One difference with RCI or, in the bigger picture Cendant, is that they are an optional, luxury type provider. No one is forced to use any of their services unlike your local power company or some rather well known software vendors who can in fact manipulate the whole market due to monopoly powers. RCI is dominant but not a monopoly. They could have been if the one time swallowing of II had occurred but the government correctly prevented that.

Yes RCI is a fierce competitor and they are changing the rules in timeshare exchange to fit what they see as the future. Don't use them if you don't trust them or feel they are on the wrong path. I don't think it's fair to paint them as dishonest unless we had verifiable proof. As great as the few inside sources we do have may be we don't know what bias or agendas they may have or what level of corporate information they can gain access to. And I repeat that what may seem obvious on the surface to an outsider is all too often incorrect.

As for other exchange companies being gobbled up the ones listed aren't exchange based but resort operators and / or developers some of which have internal trade systems. They were some of the very systems that threatened the old RCI model and seem to have helped push them into a points system of their own to remain competitive. In the end the model Boca sees may be much closer to the final result. If cash is the "points" used you don't need a broker any longer. If renting and shear numbers of different available unit types are going to rule then the Cendant move to buy up many sources makes perfect sense. But now I'm making assumptions based on an outside view of an organization I know nothing about. Dangerous territory for anyone to tread. I'm reminded of a classic Don Martin cartoon in MAD magazine of a dinosaur who dies, is buried and found thousands of years later. The "experts" of the modern day recreate his skeleton in the funniest way and display it as an example of what the beast looked like. That type of flawed expertise is far too common yet often believed by the masses who simply have no other source for their "facts".

Last edited:

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
getreal said:
timeos2

It may happen from time to time that you have better information than a single post. But you do not know everything.

In this case you claim to know more than a post I referred to. That may be true. But that was just one example of the trend I was describing.

And once I stripped down the patronizing tone of your post, I realized that you did not refute the basic idea, namely that RCI is a dominant, monopolistic player in the timeshare exchange field, and they have been gobbling up other exchange companies.

I still assume this to be true. Do you concur?

I am not sure where you are coming from. VRI is a management company, not an exchange company. What they have done is a great job at managing a bunch of resorts and then negotiating a very good deal with RCI for its members. That VRI preference is to die for.

Unless I missed something, RCI doesn't own VRI.

All mini-systems use their deposit power to negotiate a great deal with the exchange companies.

As far a RCI being a monopoly, I don't agree that they are. There are two companies of roughly equal size and all resorts have the choice of affiliating with either II or RCI or both. Like any business, I am sure that RCI and II do their best to offer special benefits to those resorts that provide exclusive access to their exchange services.

getreal

TUG Member
Reaction score
BocaBum99 said:
As far a RCI being a monopoly, I don't agree that they are. There are two companies of roughly equal size and all resorts have the choice of affiliating with either II or RCI or both. Like any business, I am sure that RCI and II do their best to offer special benefits to those resorts that provide exclusive access to their exchange services.

Boca / timeos2

I called RCI monopolistic, i.e. they act as if they have a monopoly, and that you have to deal with them on their terms.

RCI's terms typically are: Please deposit your week and we will offer you the exchanges options that we want.

At other markets (whether you buy clothes, cars or groceries) you can see what you will get, before you pay. RCI can get away with this business model due to their dominant size.

Do you agree up to this point ?

As for the future, I still see RCI's power increasing, Boca predicted that the market direction will make them obsolete. We seem to differ on that.

Last edited:

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
getreal said:
Boca / timeos2

I called RCI monopolistic, i.e. they act as if they have a monopoly, and that you have to deal with them on their terms.

RCI's terms typically are: Please deposit your week and we will offer you the exchanges options that we want.

At other markets (whether you buy clothes, cars or groceries) you can see what you will get, before you pay. RCI can get away with this business model due to their dominant size.

Do you agree up to this point ?

As for the future, I still see RCI's power increasing, Boca predicted that the market direction will become obsolete. We seem to differ on that.

I agree the model is bad but since it is an option the use it the fault lies with the members that are willing to accept it. I prefer any service I use to have open pricing so I can decide if it's of value or not. RCI, II and most other weeks based systems simply don't offer that. I choose not to utilize them for the majority of my timeshare trades largely due to that secrecy. If I were forced to be an RCI member and use the weeks system I would 100% agree that they would then be a monopoly. The "Please" in the request means they can't control my time unless I willingly give it to them thus agreeing to those terms.

Last edited:

RonaldCol

Reaction score
Getting into the Fray ...

Sorry, folks, I just started reading this thread. Who's involved here? How do I get into THIS fray? Who's my tag team partner(s)?

getreal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too late, too late

RonaldCol said:
... How do I get into THIS fray? ...
I think you are too late for THIS one ... but if you look around, you may find another one soon. :D

RonaldCol

Reaction score
There is the AM and the PM. AM means Pre-Moderator Input and PM Post-Moderator Input.

I miss the days of AM, when there were routine character assassinations on TUG, back biting, sniping, allusions of immoral beliefs, misinterpretations of threads and postings, thread-nappings, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Those were the good old days, the days of the "Pre-Awakening."

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
RonaldCol said:
There is the AM and the PM. AM means Pre-Moderator Input and PM Post-Moderator Input.

I miss the days of AM, when there were routine character assassinations on TUG, back biting, sniping, allusions of immoral beliefs, misinterpretations of threads and postings, thread-nappings, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Those were the good old days, the days of the "Pre-Awakening."

I would agree that there is now freer expression at www.timeshareforums.com and www.timesharetalk.co.uk