• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

1 BR II Exchange into DVC Boardwalk Villas Allows 5 occupancy but only provides sleeping for 4 ??

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also posted this in the exchange forum but thought this could be a better location to get the info (on the other hand I also know there can be subtle differences between DVC owners and RCI or II exchangers so maybe not)
My daughter is fine with sleeping arrangements as long as there would be no problem registering all 5 people with Disney for tickets, events etc
Age of three girls in family is 4,6,and 8 and then Mom and Dad
Should this be doable?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The BWV studios provide sleeping for 5 - a queen bed, a double sleeper sofa, and a slightly smaller than twin pull down bed.

bwv pulldown bed.jpg

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a 1Br though
It does seem strange that a Studio has more sleeping space than a 1 BR but it appears that is how they are set up

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
You learn something new every day. I had no idea that Boardwalk Villas slept that many in the studios. I imagine they did that to charge the outrageous rates for hotel bookings.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This is a 1Br though
It does seem strange that a Studio has more sleeping space than a 1 BR but it appears that is how they are set up
I don't think the 1BR units have a muprhy bed. The BWV studios have a queen and a pullout queen sleeper sofa in addition to that pull down murphy for one. Do the 1BR units only have a King and a pull out sofa/queen murphy?

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
From what I am seeing basically yes
King Bed and queen sofa-sleeper
DVC members are clearly allowed occupancy of 5 but no bedding is provided
Seems this may not to be the case for renters and they may be limited to 4 occupants
Can't seem to find anything definite on exchangers
One other possibility the information I am looking at may be dated
I think Saratoga was the same prior to their remodel
Tried calling Disney and was told to expect to wait 2 hours
I expect if I waited the Disney person would not have the info for a timeshare exchange and would tell me to call another number

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Are you looking to exchange into a BWV via II? If so, it may not matter. So far, people have only been reporting Saratoga Springs units showing up for exchange.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I would book it and add all of them to the room, then bring a sleeping bag for one kid. But I am a room-capacity room breaker from way back. We used to book one bedrooms all of the time through RCI for places that had occupancy limits.

I would guess a sympathetic DVC person would be very cooperative with the occ limit. Our DIL was able to add her friends to her room (they were staying at a hotel off-site), and the occupancy said five at SSR, they were allowed to add six. The kids were both over three + four adults. The person at Disney allowed them to do it. Don't call the RCI desk to add all of the names. Call the regular DVC reservations and enter the option that you don't have a member number.

BTW, this was a second call she made after the first person at the RCI desk at Disney told her no, you cannot do that. She got the reservation #, called the regular DVC member line, gave them the reservation #, and she was able to add all six. It was a surprise to me. That is why I am advising not to call the RCI/ II desk. Those people are pretty rude to exchangers. I have had some pretty negative experiences with one Disney Cast Member at the RCI desk. Our three kids are on our Wyndham account, and this woman was so rude when I tried to get her to call Wyndham to confirm. I have done that many times.

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Went on Redweek ( admittedly a poor source for this information) and checked their 7 day listings for 1 BR units
All 1 BR listings say occupancy is four but then in the ad itself it says a Fifth guest can be accommodated but no bedding will be supplied
Since all the 1 BR ads say exactly the same thing I suspect Redweek automatically ads this info
At least one of the ads is pretty clearly a timeshare exchange (the ad says there is a $190 guest fee) I take this as evidence of but not proof that 5 guests are allowed
Still would be nice if someone knew for sure

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would book it and add all of them to the room, then bring a sleeping bag for one kid. But I am a room-capacity room breaker from way back. We used to book one bedrooms all of the time through RCI for places that had occupancy limits.

I would guess a sympathetic DVC person would be very cooperative with the occ limit. Our DIL was able to add her friends to her room (they were staying at a hotel off-site), and the occupancy said five at SSR, they were allowed to add six. The kids were both over three + four adults. The person at Disney allowed them to do it. Don't call the RCI desk to add all of the names. Call the regular DVC reservations and enter the option that you don't have a member number.

BTW, this was a second call she made after the first person at the RCI desk at Disney told her no, you cannot do that. She got the reservation #, called the regular DVC member line, gave them the reservation #, and she was able to add all six. It was a surprise to me. That is why I am advising not to call the RCI/ II desk. Those people are pretty rude to exchangers. I have had some pretty negative experiences with one Disney Cast Member at the RCI desk. Our three kids are on our Wyndham account, and this woman was so rude when I tried to get her to call Wyndham to confirm. I have done that many times.
Good actionable advice
Would you happen to have that number? (if not I am sure I can find it)
Thanks
PS
Think I found it
800-800-9800

Last edited:

Gwendyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a recent SSR exchange that was a 1 bedroom that slept 5, if you are looking for an exchange to accommodate everyone with beds. The pull-down smaller than twin was big enough for me (5'5") to take a nap on.

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Brady at DVC (only a 17 minute wait)
Before I got to him they took the last 4 numbers of my SSN
He confirmed sleeping for 4 but occupancy for 5
Said lots of chairs and many people just use 2 of those pushed end to end for 5th person
Used the 1-800-800-9800 number

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
We traveled as a family of five in a one bedroom for many years until the kids started to complain about the sofa bed. My youngest slept on one of these until he was 8 or 9. The kids thought it was a treat! Extremely easy to travel with and useful for so many other places.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our family of 5 will be spending two weeks at boardwalk in a 1 bedroom on an RCI exchange. I can confirm that you can add 5 to the reservation. We are set to go. We really like how AKV had a sleeper chair, and the murphy option at SSR looks cool. I'm sure DVC will make a change with the next remodel at BWV.

Our kids are 8, 4, and 4. It's not ideal, but there is plenty of space (square footage wise). I considered doing SSR or OKW because it would be more comfortable, but the proximity to the parks at BWV was too attractive to pass up.

Last year in Maui our three kids just ended up sharing a queen sized bed even though the resort had a sleeper chair.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Also posted this in the exchange forum but thought this could be a better location to get the info (on the other hand I also know there can be subtle differences between DVC owners and RCI or II exchangers so maybe not)
My daughter is fine with sleeping arrangements as long as there would be no problem registering all 5 people with Disney for tickets, events etc
Age of three girls in family is 4,6,and 8 and then Mom and Dad
Should this be doable?
It is Disney's Policy to allow 5 in a 1 BR even if they don't have sleeping arrangements for 5. The exception I can think of right now are AKV value rooms. They also don't count one child under 3 toward occupancy. So there will be no problem other than the cramped spacing.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a 1Br though...
Oops...my bad.

And yes, it is strange...but intentional. There was a period when DVC decided to help balance demand and improve the desirability of 1BRs by building resorts with 1BRs that slept 5 instead of 4 and had an 'extra' bathroom - AKV Kidani, BLT, and VGC. And Aulani (built shortly thereafter) had the 4 in a studio/5 in a 1BR arrangement but not the bathroom.

But then they decided that there was more money to be made by enticing people into buying DVC by making their studios more attractive and showing how for a mere pittance people could buy a week at Disney. So VGF, Poly, and Riviera all have very nice studios. Along the way, when they did a hard refurbishment of some of the 2042 resorts - BWV, BCV, and BRV (nee Wilderness Lodge Villas) - they added a 5th bed for the studio and not the 1BR.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is Disney's Policy to allow 5 in a 1 BR even if they don't have sleeping arrangements for 5. The exception I can think of right now are AKV value rooms.
The other exception is the tiny 1BR of the Copper Creek Villas hotel conversion.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
People hope that the next hard goods renovation at BWV will bring the queen Murphy bed/sofa combination and the under the TV twin Murphy to the living room of the 1 BR, but it’s uncertain that it can be done. The connecting door between the 1 BR’s living room and the studio that make them a 2 BR is in the living room near the balcony, and there may not be enough space for both types of Murphy bed. Other DVC resorts have the connecting door in the entryway, allowing more wall space for both beds in the living room. So we may or may not see 1 BR BWV having sleeping surfaces for 5 while studios will continue to have sleeping spaces for 5.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would take a sleeping bag and put a kid on the floor.

I remember an Andy Griffith Show with Opie (Ron Howard) sleeping on an ironing board between two chairs. He called it "adventure sleepin'." That was the episode with the rich guy that had a car phone that stayed with them in Opie's room. It's a funny episode. Never saw a car phone or heard of it before that.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
People hope that the next hard goods renovation at BWV will bring the queen Murphy bed/sofa combination and the under the TV twin Murphy to the living room of the 1 BR
IMO, if you don't need the mini-twin under-TV bed, it's strictly a downgrade to have it. We love the new SSR refurbishment....except for the fact that there is NO storage in the living room beyond the coffee table.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Are they driving or flying? We did a big family trip last summer and brought along a twin sized air mattress we bought cheap at Walmart for our step grandson. Or if they will rent a car they can stop and pick one up. Most of the one bedrooms at BoardWalk have a big walk in closet that I know some people will set up the pack and play in. It might fit a twin sized air mattress. They will have to bring sheets and blanket. There are usually plenty of pillows. I think there is 6 just for the king bed, then more for the sleeper sofa.
They should also check about the ages.....to me with tickets it’s unclear about 3 year olds. Is it 3 years plus 11 months? Not a day over 3? Our granddaughter turned 3 when we were there so we did not purchase an admission ticket for her. And when filling out the occupancy thing when making the reservation, we selected “under 3” or whatever it was.
We love the Boardwalk. It is one of our home resorts. You can walk to Hollywood and Epcot (faster than taking the boats) but we sometimes take the boat back from Epcot. If you are staying by the tennis courts it’s faster to walk to and from Hollywood if you take the back door that looks at the lagoon that the boats use.
Feel free to ask questions. We stay there at least twice a year.

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and confirmed the exchange
They will be driving so they can take a sleeping bag or air mattress as they decide
4 year old is big for her age also not sure how it would work on ancillary reservations
At this point I feel confident that 5 won't be an issue
Good information from this thread helped greatly

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
They should also check about the ages.....to me with tickets it’s unclear about 3 year olds. Is it 3 years plus 11 months? Not a day over 3? Our granddaughter turned 3 when we were there so we did not purchase an admission ticket for her. And when filling out the occupancy thing when making the reservation, we selected “under 3” or whatever it was.
I’ve read many times that Disney doesn’t penalize kids for having a birthday during their visit, so if they’re 2 when they arrive, they’re 2 for the entire trip so far as resorts, tickets and dining go, even if they turned 3 the day after they arrived.