• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shark Sighting at Ko Olina

Southdown13

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like the shark was in Lagoon 4 which next to the lagoon in front of the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club. Here is the link.

Shark Sighting Clears Lagoon at Ko Olina

Shark Sighting Clears Lagoon at Ko Olina
Written by KGMB9 News
January 09, 2009 05:20 PM

"A surprise visitor made a big splash at Ko Olina. Check out what wandered into the lagoon.
Judging by the size, it looks like a hammerhead shark.
You can see the surprise on the faces of swimmers.
One person caught all the commotion on her cell phone camera.
"Just having a good time and suddenly someone said get out of the lagoon, started screaming and yelling get out, get out," said shark spotter Lucy Mendoza. "Somebody said 'shark, shark, shark' so everybody started rushing out of the lagoon."

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Just to clarify - Lagoon 4 the one to the left of the Ko Olina as you face the ocean - the one closest to the marina. Lagoon 3 is the one in front of the resort.

Swam with a turtle in that Lagoon 4 for about 15 minutes. It was trying to find a way out of lagoon. Probably same thing here.

pacheco18

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am at Ko'Olina now
Odd that I would have to learn about this from TUG LOL

Off to Waiohai today -- hopefully shark free

Aloha

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
aloha

Enjoy Waiohai! We have been there several times when the "shark" sign is up at the beach ... usually we head for the canyon or the something other than beach swimming on those days ...

kmij

TUG Member
Reaction score
sharks

i thought, when we purchased from marriott, (pre-construction) we were told that they put up screening between the rock piles to prevent any sharks from coming in the lagoon!! we are going there next month. i sure hope they have moved on by then!!!

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
i thought, when we purchased from marriott, (pre-construction) we were told that they put up screening between the rock piles to prevent any sharks from coming in the lagoon!! we are going there next month. i sure hope they have moved on by then!!!

The lagoon with the shark is not the one in front of the resort. It is the one closest to the Marina, to the left of the Marriott lagoon.

Based on the limited number of fish I saw in the Marriott lagoon, you might be right about the screening. But if you go over to the marina lagoon you can see a lot of fish. Particularly in the inlet channels on the outside.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, when I was in the middle of lagoon 3, I saw two guys in snorkel gear slowly and effortlessly made their way from inside the lagoon 3 to OUTSIDE the lagoon. I assume a shark can make it INTO the lagoon as effortlessly.

Scubaguy

Reaction score
Sharks not uncommon

Sharks are everywhere in Hawaii. Hammerheads, tigers, great white, and harmless reef sharks all live within a few feet of these lagoons. There are no nets to keep them out of the lagoons, I have swam into open ocean from the lagoons many times.

This is their home. You are the visitor. Shark attacks are infrequent though so don't worry much.:banana:

Scubaguy

Reaction score
Well, when I was in the middle of lagoon 3, I saw two guys in snorkel gear slowly and effortlessly made their way from inside the lagoon 3 to OUTSIDE the lagoon. I assume a shark can make it INTO the lagoon as effortlessly.

Actually it's easier to get into the lagoons than out due to currents and tide. Ever try to out-swim a shark?