• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

European Hoppers not category specific

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a Marriott Rewards representative to finalize my Italy trip who told me I could purchase a European hopper that would also be good for use in future category 8 hotels. I can't believe what a good deal and value!

Basically, for 150,000 points, I can stay in up to any 3 hotels in Europe in 2009, even category 8 hotels! It turns out the hopper is not limited by category, just location (Europe only) so if the category changes the hopper still applies. The best part of the deal is after Jan 15, the stay anytime category will be eliminated so the hopper can be used in any hotel in Europe on any day.

The bad part is this offer expires at close of business today. I just bought 2 packages for my 2 week trip. Now I have flexibility in case the Grand Flora in Italy opens up, which I think it will. I love this program!

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought you had to make your reservations first before you could order the reward since they send the hotels a electronic awards cert.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
No, there is a specific exception for the European Hopper Reward. The deadline for ordering the European Hopper Reward is 4:00 p.m. MST today. But the hotel reservations can be made any time next year, including for category 8 hotels, as stated in the OP.

For a summary of the transition rules that apply to this Reward, see this FlyerTalk thread. "Marriott Concierge" is a Marriott employee who is assigned to FlyerTalk and has the authority to respond to questions deemed to be of interest to a significant number of Marriott Rewards members.

For a summary of questions that have been raised regarding the January 15 changes to Travel Packages, see this FlyerTalk thread.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
Let's say you order this to lock in the particulars and then decide not to travel to Europe next year, can you return the cert for points back in your account? Is there a fee for cancellation?

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The short answer is you would get a refund of points, with the amount depending on whether you had used any of the certificates. The details are covered at my link.

Also, adding to my earlier post, there will still be some blackout dates. A few hotels will be given the authority to have some.

taffy19

Reaction score
I called about it because I was interested but it is only for Elite status for all of Europe. The one to England, Scotland and Ireland was for everyone. This is what the person told me and now it is after 4PM PST so it has expired.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
In my haste to let you all know quickly, I left out some details.

It's true that it is for Elite status only, as a special promotion. I forgot to add to my original post, Marriott will start counting any stays in timeshare resorts that occurred after June toward elite status so that should have helped some people reach elite status.

Also, if you don't use any part of the hopper, it could have been returned for a full refund of the points without a cancellation fee. You could have bought it then decided later if you could use it. It really is a very good value considering that category 8 hotels will require a lot of points after Jan. 15.

After Jan 15, the hoppers will no longer be offered, according to the advisor, which is too bad.

Last edited:

Kazakie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add to my original post, Marriott will start counting any stays in timeshare resorts that occurred after June toward elite status so that should have helped some people reach elite status.

Really?? Is this announcement somewhere?

After Jan 15, the hoppers will no longer be offered, according to the advisor, which is too bad.

The 7-night certificates can be ordered until Jan 15th, 2009 (assuming also until 4pm MST)

As Dave M said:
The deadline for ordering the European Hopper Reward is 4:00 p.m. MST today.
(today being Dec 31st, 2008)

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
The fact that I could count my timeshare stays towards Elite status never came to my attention and i've been coming to this board everyday. I missed it also. I didn't see it as an announcement, I just found out by asking the very helpful Marriott representative a million questions. I must have been inspired!

I think it's a big deal since in essence, most timeshare owners could get Elite status in a year or two.

The 7 night certificates are not hoppers since you must stay all 7 nights in the same hotel. Hoppers allow you to divide your 7 night stay among 3 or less hotels. My post doesn't apply to those certificates, and 7 nt certificates will continue to be offered after Jan 15, just at higher point costs.

Last edited:

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, Marriott rewards will retroactively apply past stays from end of June to now towards Elite status. I did this on the phone not by sending in paperwork.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think it's a big deal since in essence, most timeshare owners could get Elite status in 1.5 years.
Not exactly. Much like attaining elite status in the airline frequent flyer programs, the requisite qualification for Marriott Rewards elite status must be completed within a 12-month period.

To attain Silver status, simply get 10 nights of stays within any 12-month period. That status will be valid for the year you qualify and the following calendar year. After that, you'll need 10 nights in the calendar year to maintain the status. To get to a higher status (e.g., from Silver to Gold or from Gold to Platinum), you'll be able to qualify during any rolling 12-month period.

A much easier way to obtain Silver status is to get the Marriott Visa credit card. The Premier card comes with an annual free night certificate (categories 1 through 5), 20,000 Marriott Rewards points, 15 nights of Elite credit and other benefits. The free night, if you can use it, more than offsets the annual $65 fee.

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
The credit card is really a good deal. We have the premier card and yet they didn't credit 15 nights toward elite status. Now it's a little job for my husband to follow up.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The 15 nights should be credited to your MR account within 8 weeks after you get the card and then annually within 8 weeks after your card anniversary date.

You won't see anything in your account that specifies that you got the credit. It's included in your total nights as shown for your account.