• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice on Trading Cancun for Pacific Coast

CoteauPlatte

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been going to Cancun for over 30 years and need some advice about exchanging for a week at west coast Mexican resorts. I feel completely at home in Quintana Roo and Yucatan but don't know what to expect if we go to a resort on the west coast. I'm hoping some TUG members who are familiar with western Mexico will be able to help me.

We own units at VCI for Weeks 25 and 26 and we are expecting a new grandchild to be born on Saturday 6/20/09 -- which is Week 25. My wife and I still want (need) at least one week of vacation so we have been trying to exchange one of our weeks for any Royal Resort unit for either week 28 or 29 -- without much success.

I checked what's available in July through Intervals. It seems I can deposit either of my units with II and get a unit with a kitchen in either Puerto Vallarta or South Baja in July. We would be flying out of Houston and the airfare is reasonably close to being the same for either location so I'm not sure which I should choose. Can anyone give me any advice on which I should choose?

I'm sure some of you love Cabo and others love PV. Help me decide where we should go. Also, I notice that the resorts with July vacancies include the Villa del Palmar in Cabo, the Villa del Palmar Flamingo in Nueva Vallarta and the WIVC in Puerto Vallarta. Does anyone have any comments about any of those resorts?

My usual activities in Cancun are: tennis, fishing, sailing, snorkling, visiting ruins and exploring. My wife really just likes to hang out on the beach and read but she loves me enough to go fishing and do other activities -- except sailing -- with me. We generally rent a car in Cancun and travel up and down the coast -- sometimes on overnight trips. We know we always have a bed waiting for us at VCI but it's fun to sleep in a beach bungalow down towards Boca Paila or some other place new. My wife likes air conditioning but she will rough it for a night or two if the scenery is gorgeous enough. Weeks 25 and 26 are very warm in Cancun but we live in Louisiana so we are used to hot, humid weather. What is the weather like in July on the west coast?

Is it worth renting a car to check out the area in either PV or Cabo? Since it will be our first time on the west coast, maybe we should just stay close to the resort. I didn't start renting cars in Cancun until I'd been there a few times and taken enough tour buses and taxi cab rides to be familiar with the roads. Any advice on this point?

When we go to Cancun, we usually have 4 or more of our grown children with us so we try to cook instead of eating out every meal. I hit the local Chedraui market and stock up on supplies. Since this trip will be just me and my wife, we don't have to cook. Is there any need to cook in either PV or Cabo?

Can some of you experienced Cabo and PV members help me make up my mind?

Last edited:

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Having been to both Puerto Vallarta and Los Cabos, I prefer PV. More of a town and less of a Tourist destination. Probably more resorts for golf in Cabo as well as deep sea fishing, neither being cheap.

Both have modern supermarkets / warehouse clubs for supplies of just about anything.

No need for a car in PV but if you want to cover all of Los Cabos, a car would be handy. If you plan of staying in either Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo, cabs are fine for local travel.

I like both places and they are less "touristy" than Cancun were we spent last year. Having sampled both coasts now, we will probably just do the West Coast from now on and in particular PV. About the only plus for the Gulf Coast for me are the Aztec ruins.

Cheers

stugy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, PV is not so touristy and has much to see and do. Of the resorts you inidcated, I would pick the Villa De Palmar Flamingos. You are actually in Nuevo Vallarta, but an easy bus ride away from PV. While many do rent cars in PV, I would not do so. Let's just say the locals are "fast drivers."
Pat

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, PV is not so touristy and has much to see and do. Of the resorts you inidcated, I would pick the Villa De Palmar Flamingos. You are actually in Nuevo Vallarta, but an easy bus ride away from PV. While many do rent cars in PV, I would not do so. Let's just say the locals are "fast drivers."
Pat

I have to disagree with Pat. We are long time Royal Resort members as well. We tried Nuevo Vallarta for the first time this past November. In fact, we stayed at the Villa del Palmar Flamingos. I have posted a review on this site regarding that resort. In short, we HATED that resort, and HATED being in Nuevo Vallarta. WAY TOO FAR from P.V. and we found the beach and water in N.V. to be dirty. (We walked the beach towards Bucerias and found MANY dead fish on the beach. YUCK!). We stayed our last night at the Fiesta Americana in Puerto Vallarta, and it was fabulous. In fact, it completely changed our minds regarding the area. If we had not stayed there, we would probably never have considered returning. But, after our lovely stay at the Fiesta Americana, we decided we WILL return to Puerto Vallarta, as long as we are staying IN P.V. not N.V.

One last thing to consider is the weather in July. From what I read, July is rainy season, so it will be rainy, hot and very humid. Not the best time to go to P.V. If you are stuck on going on vacaiton in July, I would probably go to Cabo, not P.V.

Michelle

P.S. Try not to do what we did. I think being members of the Royal Resorts, we have very high expectations in regards to service, cleanliness, price, etc. We have not found one resort that compares. Try to keep an open mind when trading so that you enjoy your trip to the fullest! (BTW, we did make the best of our week in N.V.)

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
If you're going in July, I think you'd be much more comfortable weather-wise in Cabo. Cabo is a desert climate compared to the tropical climate in PV, so it's drier. It is unlikely to rain in Cabo then, and the ocean temperatures will be more comfortable.

Since you are looking to trade with II, you might be able to get Casa Dorado on Medano Beach, as it's a new resort & trades with II. That would be a great location for you as it's an easy walk into town from there and you would be on the safe, swimmable beach with all the water activities at your disposal. There are other Casa Dorados in Cabo so be sure it's the one on Medano Beach. The others are on the corridor between Cabo and San Jose and you'd really need a car if you stayed there. Taxis are expensive.

Villa Palmar is on the same beach but just a little further down so it's a longer walk to town, but certainly doable.

esk444

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would pass on Nuevo Vallarta in July. There is a big river that deposits a ton of silt in the bay in front of the resorts because of rainy season. You basically swim in what looks like Chocolate Milk.

Kenrabs

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Definetly go with Cabo if travelling in July. I would put in a request for Villa Del Arco instead of settling on VDP. They are sister resorts next to each other with Villa Estancia between them. VDP is fine if you have kids and don't mind older accomodations. I would also request Casa Dorada on Medano beach. Both are new resorts with Casa Dorada having a better location on Medano beach and shorter walks to town. The tripadvisor Cabo forum is a great source of info. If your into the party scene then Cabo San Lucas Beach and Tennis Club is an option. It is actually ME Cabo.

aliikai2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been going to Cancun for over 30 years and need some advice about exchanging for a week at west coast Mexican resorts.

a unit with a kitchen in either Puerto Vallarta or South Baja in July. Can anyone give me any advice on which I should choose?

WIVC in Puerto Vallarta. Does anyone have any comments about any of those resorts?
I don't know about Cabo, but PV is a great area. Those that like the desert feel really seem to enjoy Cabo. Those like me that enjoy the tropical feel seem to enjoy PV or Mazatlan.
WIVC has 3 resorts in PV, two are on the hill Alta Vista and Conchos Chinas, they have great views, large units, small intimate resorts. The other is on the Beach Playa , a total of 8 units right on the water.
My usual activities in Cancun are: tennis, fishing, sailing, snorkling, visiting ruins and exploring. Weeks 25 and 26 are very warm in Cancun but we live in Louisiana so we are used to hot, humid weather. What is the weather like in July on the west coast?
The west coast is much more of a Mexican area, older with more charm and history. There are many tours and smaller cities and towns to explore. Just walking the Malecon and though old town, enjoying the people and sights is fun for us.
It will be in the 90's with 100% humidity, a tad warm during the day, with rain some days and almost every night.
Is it worth renting a car to check out the area in either PV or Cabo? Any advice on this point?
We don't, it is just to easy and affordable to use either the buses or taxis.
. Since this trip will be just me and my wife, we don't have to cook. Is there any need to cook in either PV or Cabo?
If you stay in town, either PV or Mazatan, there are so many places to eat, that you woudn't need to cook, of course it is nice to have a kitchen to make snacks.:clap:
Can some of you experienced Cabo and PV members help me make up my mind?

jmho,

Greg

timesharejunkie4

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
For the weather I would choose Cabo. PV is very hot and humid in the summer while Cabo will be hot but not humid.
Regarding the choice of resorts, aliikai has summed them up pretty well, but keep in mind Conchas Chinas and Alta Vista are not on the beach and a bit of a hike to get to the beach.
The water in Cabo is clearer than in PV but the water in PV is usually calmer.
The food in both places is outstanding with that in PV being a little better and cheaper.
The town in PV has much more charm than Cabo. Walking along the malecon is delightful. There is more of a Mexican feel to PV than Cabo.
Fishing is good in both places with the edge to Cabo especially if you want to go for marlin. The best thing about fishing in Cabo is that you don't have to go near as far to get the big fish as you would in PV.
If you like to snorkel or scuba dive, cabo wins hands down although summer is the best time in PV for those activities and I have never done them in the summer.
Golf is good in both places but the courses are not close to town in either except for the Marina Course in PV. Golf in PV is cheaper.
We love both places for different reasons and alternate going to each for 2 weeks.
As acomparison to Cancun, Cabo is more like Cancun than PV.
If you really want the beautiful waters of the Caribbean you will be disappointed in either place.

Kenrabs

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind the water in PV is very muddy looking during the summer due to rain run off from the MNTs. That was a big turn off for my wife. PV does have more to offer at a lower price, but the summer weather is not the time to experiance it. If you get the right resort location in Cabo you'll be able to walk to most places so a rental would only be needed if you want to visit San Jose, Todos Santos, or La Paz. Cabo lacks the high quality bus system of Cancun and cabs like in Cancun are pricey. PV is the cheapest of the 3 to get around.

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have yet to experience Cabo, but have done the Cancun area.....I prefer the Pacific Coast. ( though we are glad we expeienced the Cancun side).

I can only give you info on PV and NV then. I go to both for different reasons quite frequently. Nuevo Vallarta is a tourist area, not a true town per say but an area developed for resorts and condos and such. It is clean, has longer beaches, and in many ways resembles the look of Florida. There are many resorts there, VDP Flamingos is a lovely resort to see, I have not stayed there. It is though quite a distance away from PV, actually closer to Bucerias. You are looking at either a bus into PV or taxi, probably around $25-$30 bucks if I recall. You can also take a water taxi from the marina near Paradise village into Puerto Vallarta. There are many restaurants in NV, many quite good. You can check out my most recent Mayan Palace review in Nov. to get an idea of NV.

Puerto Vallarta is a city, touristy yes but far less than Cancun. It has Mexican charm, culture and history and so so many restaurants and things to do. There are so many resorts in PV. It is much more hustle and bustle than NV though. If you have never been to PV I say go to PV first and NV another visit. The beaches in PV are not quite as nice as in NV..but they are okay. There is so much culture and activity in PV, you will not need any activity. Taxis and buses are cheap and you are let's say right in town. Always something going on in PV.

You can fish from either place as well as go on snorkeling & diving tours and such but they are not any comparison to the Carribbean. You can zipline thru the jungle though.

The resort you mention in PV I do not think is a top notch resort if that is what you are after. Also I believe in PV you are looking at the southside or conchas Chinas which I like a lot but they are also kind of far from Malecon and such and will require taxi or bus. I also find the Southside for some reason in rainy season seems to get more cloudy days...probably cause they are more in the mountains....or jungle

Okay July it will be hot, humid, and wet...yes most days the sun comes out, but most nights it rains, not a sprinkle but torrential. The lightening and thunder shows are something to see though if you never have, as well as how the people of PV cope with rainy season......I am not fond of rain so thus I am not fond of rainy season but my husband finds it amazing with how quickly the rain can come down in such quntity and the thunder and lightening shows. It may rain some days but usually not all days but then again, you can never tell with all the weather changes that have been occurring globally. In Nuevo and in PV, there is a lot of water that flows down from the mountains, remember you are in the tropics and surrounded by mountains so thus the ocean has a lot of silt or sand turning as well as a lot of water that runs from mountains down into ocean. Yes, sometimes it looks dirty but it is just nature and run off from mountains.

I do go to both these places in Rainy season......most times you still get a tan and still have sun, but it is humid for sure.

Renting a car, expensive, many risks, no excuse you do not know the language or the rules of the road...blah blah....Mexico's drivers are aggressive and they drive fast....parking in PV can be difficult although there are 2 or 3 parking gargages. There is a great bus and taxi system in place I would utilize that if I were you. Get familiar with the area and try the driving another time, just my thoughts.....took me many trips to decide to drive in PV....LOL. Nv is not as bad to drive in , in that it is far less congested, and you can go to many of the more northern towns, Bucerias, Sayulita, Punta Mita, San Pancho,etc. etc. etc.

There is no reason to cook whatsoever unless you want to...I do not cook on vacation, unless I am with Mom, but if with just hubby, no cooking..LOL. There are so many restaurants for every taste and budget. There are also many grocery stores if you so desire.

Now that I have heard in July it is dry in Cabo and hot, well I think for 2010, I may have to check that out, already booked in PV and NV in JUly.....

Good luck in your decision.

Some other Pacific Coast areas of Mexico to consider would be Mazatlan, & Ixtapa/Zihuatenejo, Huatulco, or Acapulco, Manzanillo. I have been to all except Aca and Huatulco. ACA is scheduled for this May.

mexico-mvt

Reaction score
There is no reason to cook whatsoever unless you want to...I do not cook on vacation, unless I am with Mom, but if with just hubby, no cooking..LOL. There are so many restaurants for every taste and budget. There are also many grocery stores if you so desire.

Now that I have heard in July it is dry in Cabo and hot, well I think for 2010, I may have to check that out, already booked in PV and NV in JUly.....

Good luck in your decision.

Some other Pacific Coast areas of Mexico to consider would be Mazatlan, & Ixtapa/Zihuatenejo, Huatulco, or Acapulco, Manzanillo. I have been to all except Aca and Huatulco. ACA is scheduled for this May

Sooo right. No cooking on a vacation. Experience the unique taste of the native delicacies. If you are going back to Cabo next year, I will be looking forward for your tips on that trip.
thanks