• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

any bites for 2009

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
for those of you who normally rent out your units, have you gotten any bites for 2009, since the economy is in the dumps? or is it too early to get responses for march 2009?

Aussiedog

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I rented January in Scottsdale, February in the Keys and March in Charleston a couple of months ago.

I cancelled a rental I had listed for spring break in Myrtle Beach and used it elsewhere because I have the same concern you do about the impact of the economy. I think spring break rentals are more vulnerable than summer rentals in 2009.

No bites for the summer rentals yet but I am going to be patient with these.

Ann

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Well, I just rented my New Years week last week. I had numerous inquiries in the last few weeks, with many people looking for deep discounts. I was certainly willing to come down in price, but since I was prepared to use the week, I wasn't going to take a loss.

So I think you have plenty of time for your March week (especially if you're flexible on pricing), but you probably do want to think of alternatives.

Glorian

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I have already rented my Maui week for $3,500 - but I rented it several months ago, before the economy really got bad.

I have another rental for a prime week that I haven't even been able to rent for $500 and I will probably have to eat! But I have done well on all my other rentals, and everything else is rented for 2009 (except the new week I just bought) so I will be OK.

A gentle reminder - be careful not to get too specific when discussing your rentals. Please don't list resorts or dates. - Thanks!

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
As noted in THE RENTAL THREAD - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59868&page=5 - I rented a 1Bd Plat/Prem at WKV in March last Sept. (~$1650), and the studio-side in our OF (corner) WKORV in May also last Sept. (~$2000). Rented very quickly, but I keep my prices on the low side as to make the transaction go quickly/smoothly.

Also worth noting - I had bites on our week 24 at WSJ (2Bd/3Ba TH) at ~$2500 - while I was also looking for a direct exchange for a WKORV/N OF with no luck - but we ended up buying week 23 (same unit, check-in day) so we are now going to WSJ in 2009 for 2 weeks - woohoo!

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I have another rental for a prime week that I haven't even been able to rent for $500 and I will probably have to eat! But I have done well on all my other rentals, and everything else is rented for 2009 (except the new week I just bought) so I will be OK.

I saw that on LMR (a great deal, btw) - If you want - I can ask on our intranet here at work if to see if anyone is interested?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
for those of you who normally rent out your units, have you gotten any bites for 2009, since the economy is in the dumps? or is it too early to get responses for march 2009?

Do not forget to consider that the 60-day cancellation window is coming up for March - so that will limit your possibilities.

...which reminds me - a need to deal with our other WKV week.

Last edited:

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
I put my Harborside week 52--which is a premium week up for rent in September with atlantisfamilyfun.com==I noticed last week they had one left--
and it rented in early November--they got $4495 for it!

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I rented out my two 2009 spring break weeks couple weeks ago, I tried to rent them out since last summer with no luck, and all of a sudden, had many inquiries in October and November, and finally got deposits and signed rental contracts. I had to ask very reasonable prices on them (just to cover the MF), I didn't give any discount because I posted them with low prices already and renters knew they got good deals.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
i know that's why i was asking. no bites at all. i guess i will have a lot of starpoints in 2009.

WKV (Plat.) and HRA (from what I understand) should be easy to rent at a fair price. I can't speak for SDO or SVV.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tried to rent March week at Kierland. Kept lowering the prices and kept seeing more units come online for rent.

Finally gave up, found a friend to travel with and we'll have a short golf vacation. Shame it will sit vacant for a few days and shame my wife doesn't retire until June, 2010.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tried to rent March week at Kierland. Kept lowering the prices and kept seeing more units come online for rent.

Finally gave up, found a friend to travel with and we'll have a short golf vacation. Shame it will sit vacant for a few days and shame my wife doesn't retire until June, 2010.

Disappointing that you can't rent the unit out, but at least you can still make Orange Juice from your Oranges!

On a side note, I wonder as your travel date gets closer if you can change your reservation from a week trip to a days trip, and free up your staroptions for eiher future use or for use with PointsJunkie.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Funny - less than 2 weeks from the check-in date, I received 2 emails today from people who appear to be Legit. and say they want the unit.

Yeah! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
I rented an August 2009 week just last month at WKORV with no problems. I even warned the renter that airline prices might be high and don't give refunds for lack of airline tickets. He said no problem. He paid me in full too so, I don't think the economy is hitting everyone badly. I know, we aren't effected as my job and my dh's job isn't effected by the economy. We pretty much always have work. Maybe it will be different in a year but I doubt it.

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
Rented half of a 4th of July lockout really early and really fast. Other half has a nibble, otherwise I'll put it into II and use it/give it to family. Have a deposit/contract on a spring 09 week that should be completed OK. I'm considering both pretty lucky.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Neither of my possible renters from this morning's email returned my emails....sigh....I had my hopes up.... :(

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Harborside

Atlantisfamilyfun rented my 2 bedroom unit reserved for July 18-25th, 09 for about $5400. I got a check of about $4200 from them two months ago.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Neither of my possible renters from this morning's email returned my emails....sigh....I had my hopes up.... :(

Hang in there. The weather will be in your favor from what I hear...

Katherine