• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Orlando Marriott for Disneyworld?

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Timber Lodge, Lake Tahoe (2 weeks)
Marriott Ko Olina, Oahu, Hi. EOY
UVC, Villa del Arco, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.EOY
We have a pending trade for our 2BR Timberlodge (highest summer demand week) for a 2BR at any Disney property the 1st week in Dec. next year...but now that rug has been pulled out from underneath us.

So, which Orlando Marriott is the best for access to the WDW attractions? It will be us, our DD, SIL, and their (then to be) 2 1/2 year old, and an 11 month old (due date is Jan. 22nd). We are mainly concerned about ease of access to WDW and short travel times as opposed to resort amenities.

The 3BR at the Imperial Palms looks intriguing, but not sure if my 2BR will get us in there. I called II today to confirm Disney not dealing w/II next year (confirmed), and they had a 2BR at Cypress available (one left he said), but I needed to do some research first.

Also, does Marriott or WDW have shuttle transportation? Or does one need to pay for parking each day (or can we get a weekly park pass at WDW that includes parking)?

Thanks

Steve

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can probably get an II Getaway week at most of the Orlando Marriott's in a 2BR for the first week of December for under $500 and certainly under $700 for the week. I think it would be a waste of your Timber Lodge summer week to trade for the this week in Orlando. We've stayed at Grand Vista and it's very nice but it's probably 20 minutes from the Disney parking lots. Cypress Harbor is about the same distance. I think the first week of December is the offseason in Orlando and cheap Getaway weeks are available for most resorts except Disney. It might make sense to use your TL week for a 2BR unit at Disney but not for a Marriott, Sheraton, or most any other brand this time of the year in Orlando.

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can probably get an II Getaway week at most of the Orlando Marriott's in a 2BR for the first week of December for under $500 and certainly under $700 for the week. I think it would be a waste of your Timber Lodge summer week to trade for the this week in Orlando. We've stayed at Grand Vista and it's very nice but it's probably 20 minutes from the Disney parking lots. Cypress Harbor is about the same distance. I think the first week of December is the offseason in Orlando and cheap Getaway weeks are available for most resorts except Disney. It might make sense to use your TL week for a 2BR unit at Disney but not for a Marriott, Sheraton, or most any other brand this time of the year in Orlando.

Thanks Robert. Good advise. Did not even think about a Getaway week...will have to look into that.

Steve

potchak

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked with my eff Manor Club sequel unit and I pulled a 2bd Cypress Harbor and Grande Vista for Dec 6-13,2009. Might want to consider locking off your TL unit and taking one of those and get 2 weeks for your 1.

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just checked with my eff Manor Club sequel unit and I pulled a 2bd Cypress Harbor and Grande Vista for Dec 6-13,2009. Might want to consider locking off your TL unit and taking one of those and get 2 weeks for your 1.

Since I've already deposited the 2BR with II, can I still do the split?

Thx

Steve

DJensen

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Location?

We stayed at Grande Vista in July and spent 4 days at Disney Parks. Very easy freeway access to Disney from here (Cypress Harbor and Horizons all in same area as well as Horizons is slightly more kid friendly from what we saw on a tour). Sea World is also very close to these resorts for something different. Marriott World Center would be slightly closer to Disney, but you may run into more traffic and stoplights in that location- others may have more information.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Since I've already deposited the 2BR with II, can I still do the split?

Thx

Steve
No you can't - but did you get an accommodation certificate when u deposited your week with II - if you did - you could use this for Orlando - if you didn't, don't put in a request - instead check daily and see if you can see a 3BR at Grande Vista - these are REALLY nice units and worth the extra 7 minutes in the car to get to WDW - second choice would be the 3BRs at Imperial Palm - which also has the plus of being on the grounds of the Orlando World center Hotel - which has an indoor pool perfect for early December swimming.

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No you can't - but did you get an accommodation certificate when u deposited your week with II - if you did - you could use this for Orlando - QUOTE]

Yes, we did get an AC, but unfortunately we made the deposit this past July, so we would not be able to use it for next Dec. (at least as I understand the rules).

Steve

malyons

TUG Member
Reaction score
calberry - I'm looking to do a very similar trip as you in taking my will be 3 year old and 8mo old to disney next Dec. We're trying to go between thanksgiving and christmas when the crowds are smaller and the resorts are christmas themed. Also very nice weather for doing the parks that time of year....figure might as well take advantage before the kids are in school. Anyway, I have not yet stayed at any of the Orlando Marriott's, but a couple things to note from my research are that the Palms resorts (Sabal, Imperial, Royal) all are closer to WDW and all include access to the Marriott World Center. We're leaning towards these for that reason, because the WC has an indoor pool just in case the weather isn't warm enough to swim outdoors. Highs this week range anywhere from 63 to 77 degrees, so it will be borderline outdoor pool weather if that is important to you (i know it is to my 3 year old :) Just my 2 cents...

Enjoy your trip!

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
calberry - I'm looking to do a very similar trip as you in taking my will be 3 year old and 8mo old to disney next Dec. We're trying to go between thanksgiving and christmas when the crowds are smaller and the resorts are christmas themed. Also very nice weather for doing the parks that time of year....figure might as well take advantage before the kids are in school. Anyway, I have not yet stayed at any of the Orlando Marriott's, but a couple things to note from my research are that the Palms resorts (Sabal, Imperial, Royal) all are closer to WDW and all include access to the Marriott World Center. We're leaning towards these for that reason, because the WC has an indoor pool just in case the weather isn't warm enough to swim outdoors. Highs this week range anywhere from 63 to 77 degrees, so it will be borderline outdoor pool weather if that is important to you (i know it is to my 3 year old :) Just my 2 cents...

Enjoy your trip!

Good stuff, and thanks for sharing.

Our daughter and SIL got engaged on a Disney cruise, got married at the Disney Hotel, and honeymooned at DW. Their daughter is now 18 mos. old and has been to DL (7hr drive away) at least 8 times...and has been on a Disney cruise herself. We were at the Disney Hotel this past weekend with them, and spent each waking moment in the park (well, we did walk back to our rooms for a nap each afternoon). That is why I say hotel amenities don't matter as much as 'proximity'. And our daughter is due with #2 next month, so we will also have an almost 11 month old in tow as well (OK, so the more I type the more I am wondering why we are doing this trip!!!) But this past weekend we also took our son's two oldest (6 and almost 9) to DL with us, so our hands were really full!

Steve

davewasbaloo

Reaction score
calberry - I'm looking to do a very similar trip as you in taking my will be 3 year old and 8mo old to disney next Dec. We're trying to go between thanksgiving and christmas when the crowds are smaller and the resorts are christmas themed.

Please be aware, it is no longer a quiet time. We went during that time in 2000, and it was quite quiet. We went again in 2006 at the same time (before our eldest started school) and the resort was rammed with cheerleaders and football players for Pop Warner. Most of the table service restaurants were fully booked and queues for attractions like It's a Small World were at 40 mins. So please be prepared. It is not as quiet as it used to be.

davewasbaloo

Reaction score
And our daughter is due with #2 next month, so we will also have an almost 11 month old in tow as well (OK, so the more I type the more I am wondering why we are doing this trip!!!) But this past weekend we also took our son's two oldest (6 and almost 9) to DL with us, so our hands were really full!

Steve

That's part of the fun. By the time our daughter was 2, she had been to Disneyland Paris 8 times, Disneyland and WDW. It has been a riot.

JimIg23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good stuff, and thanks for sharing.

Our daughter and SIL got engaged on a Disney cruise, got married at the Disney Hotel, and honeymooned at DW. Their daughter is now 18 mos. old and has been to DL (7hr drive away) at least 8 times...and has been on a Disney cruise herself. We were at the Disney Hotel this past weekend with them, and spent each waking moment in the park (well, we did walk back to our rooms for a nap each afternoon). That is why I say hotel amenities don't matter as much as 'proximity'. And our daughter is due with #2 next month, so we will also have an almost 11 month old in tow as well (OK, so the more I type the more I am wondering why we are doing this trip!!!) But this past weekend we also took our son's two oldest (6 and almost 9) to DL with us, so our hands were really full!

Steve

With DVC now going to RCI, have you considered buying some resale DVC points? Sounds like it would fit your family's vacation desires.

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
With DVC now going to RCI, have you considered buying some resale DVC points? Sounds like it would fit your family's vacation desires.

You are scratching an old wound here. Yes, we acually considered this some time ago (before we bought at Ko Olina, before the economy dumped, and before I retired...last day of work is Monday), but our biggest issue was (and is) the additional cost of air fare from California to Orlando (for this upcoming trip it will be 5 paying passengers...and the family is growing! We want to save our miles for OUR trips to Hawaii). We figured we would just keep driving down to DL (using our annual passes) once or twice a year (or use Southwest cheap fares when available) and then for the 'occasional' trip to WDW we would trade into DVC. Of course that strategy is now shot with DVC going to RCI.

Steve