• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

new to this - RCI or II

pnkbekki

TUG Member
Reaction score
(Sorry this is long)
We just took the plunge and bought our first timeshare (resale of course)! I've been following these boards and have gotten great tips and lots of info.

The unit is at King's Creek Plantation in Williamsburg. It's an annual floating week unit. It's all paid and closed at this point - we're just waiting for the resort paperwork to start planning anything. But I don't know which exchange company to sign up with. The resort is affiliated with both RCI and II.

We were already planning on doing an April 2010 trip to Orlando with my cousin and her family (we were originally going to split the cost of a rental home but trading would be cheaper for us all - neither family has a lot of extra finances). There would be 9 of us in all - 4 adults, 3 teenage boys, and 2 tween girls. We aren't planning on going to Disney this trip (both families have gone within the last 2 years) but mainly for Sea World and Universal.

I don't know which company to sign up for though. I've checked out the boards and a summer week at our resort pulls really well with II. People have said that they get AC's with it and it's a 3br lockout so I could split it into 2br/1br and get twice as many. I know that it also traded into DVC and Marriott. But all I know about RCI is that it's a silver crown resort - I don't know if that's good or not.

Originally I figured I would trade into II, use the 2 - 2br's to get us enough room. I was looking at trading into Horizons (2 - 2br) or maybe a 3br (2br + 1br) at Mystic Dunes. Then I could use the 1br's for any kind of trips this year for my immediate family. But that was before DVC was announced to be moved to RCI. I did want to eventually get back to Disney. I looked at the RCI resorts and the 3br HGVC at SeaWorld looks like it could work for us (RCI says that it only holds 8 but on the HGVC website with the floorplan it says 10). We would be going over our school systems spring break which is actually the last week in April in our neck of the woods (not near Easter).

I don't know how the trading power is on our unit with RCI. If I deposit it, I would have to ask for this week right away since it will be less than 18 months away (and from what I understand, the earlier you deposit, the better chances of getting what you want). But if I do that, I won't have any vacations till then. I don't know if RCI "extra vacations" have any summer availability in the Northeast where it would be close for us to get to (no airfare).

I know as soon as I get the final paperwork I have to reserve my weeks and pick a company right away to deposit it into. I need some advice from you knowledgeable and more experienced folks. Any other suggestions are welcomed also!

Thanks so much!

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
R. C. I.

Any other suggestions are welcomed also!
I-I has more prestige (deserved or not).

Despite its imperfections, RCI has more practicality.

Go with RCI.

Full Disclosure: We're in RCI & RCI Points.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
You asking two questions:

What exchamge company should I join ?
For this trip to Orlando, which would be my best bet?

For Orlando, I'd lock off your King's Creek into a 2 bd & 1 bd and then trade them both for two 2 bd TS in one of the very nice Marriott resorts in Orlando. Or you can trade the 2 bd side for a 3 bed Marriott Sabal Palms & keep the 1 bd for an exchange at another time. (personally, I'd trade for the 2 rooms to give yourselves a little more room)

FYI, as of Jan 1, 2009 Disney Vacation Club doesn't trade with II anymore.

pnkbekki

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or you can trade the 2 bd side for a 3 bed Marriott Sabal Palms & keep the 1 bd for an exchange at another time. (personally, I'd trade for the 2 rooms to give yourselves a little more room)

FYI, as of Jan 1, 2009 Disney Vacation Club doesn't trade with II anymore.

I totally agree with the "more room" aspect. I didn't know you could trade into a larger unit. I couldn't find info on a 3br at Sabal Palms - only Grande Vista. Grande Vista just didn't look as kid friendly as Horizons.

I also knew about DVC leaving II. That's why I wasn't sure if I should go with RCI since I'll probably want to try to get into Disney the following year.
Can you trade into a larger unit with RCI (like you mentioned above)?

Bill4728

Reaction score
Sorry,

It is Marriott's Imperal Palms which is all 3 bedroom units.

Also, you shouldn't have any problem trading for a 2 bed unit with your 1 bd lock-off

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Williamsburg owners have posted in the past that it has more trading power in II because, apparently, the supply is more inflated relative to demand for Williamsburg in the RCI system.

You might also look at joining all of the indepedent exchange companies that you can join free with no membership fee like DAE, SFX, PI, TPI, etc.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own that same unit at KCP - I currently trade with II and am also contemplating RCI in the future depending how the whole DVC thing plays out. If they use the 1 in 4 rule - I probably will not - all depends.

When to split the 3BR and then deposit both with II. I call II first and see what weeks they will issue an AC for and then call the resort and book those. This way - I get my two unit weeks and also get 2 ACs.

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
But if I do that, I won't have any vacations till then. I don't know if RCI "extra vacations" have any summer availability in the Northeast where it would be close for us to get to (no airfare).

Between RCI's "extra vacations", II's Getaways, DAE's bonus weeks, you should be able to plan some additional weeks for under $500 for a week at a TS. You just can't plan as far in advance and it is harder to get the major holidays.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Williamsburg owners have posted in the past that it has more trading power in II because, apparently, the supply is more inflated relative to demand for Williamsburg in the RCI system.
This may be changing. If you follow the various sightings boards, you'll notice that Summer Williamsburg seems to be a lot easier in II these days than it is in RCI. A lot of the mini-systems that used to bulk-bank in RCI seem to be holding back prime inventory. (And, no, there's nothing on the Extra Vacations list, either.)

I don't know if that translates to better results in RCI vs. II, but it's food for thought.

jdetar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's a good question.. can you put your week BOTH in RCI and II? I have RCI Weeks, Points, and an II account and currently put Cypress Harbour in II, but would be curious to see how it trades in RCI.. Can you do that if you do "request first"? Or do they prohibit even "playing" with your week in both exchange companies.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Here's a good question.. can you put your week BOTH in RCI and II? I have RCI Weeks, Points, and an II account and currently put Cypress Harbour in II, but would be curious to see how it trades in RCI.. Can you do that if you do "request first"? Or do they prohibit even "playing" with your week in both exchange companies.

No you cannot - once you commit your week to one company, you can't also commit to another.

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would go with II. There are many more AC opportunities and the selection will in the long run probably be better for you including all of the Marriotts. And you should be thinking beyond this one trade. Further, unless someone tells you that it is likely that you can get disney with your unit it will be unlikely - especially a two bedroom or three bedroom unit. You need to study the other top notch non brand name resorts that have three bedrooms as well. Lastly, RCI exchanges earlier than II so your trade may be considered "late" in RCI but not so in II.

jdetar

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would go with II. There are many more AC opportunities and the selection will in the long run probably be better for you including all of the Marriotts. And you should be thinking beyond this one trade. Further, unless someone tells you that it is likely that you can get disney with your unit it will be unlikely - especially a two bedroom or three bedroom unit. You need to study the other top notch non brand name resorts that have three bedrooms as well. Lastly, RCI exchanges earlier than II so your trade may be considered "late" in RCI but not so in II.

From what I've seen, agreed about AC opportunities, and a better selection of Marriott's (which IMO are the best reason to stick with II. They're beautiful).

However the resort, and size of unit aren't always apples to apples. That's a common misconception I've seen here at least with RCI's trading power. I imagine II does things similar as far as trading power. I've seen enough first hand to know that 1br's can even trade peak seasons, top resorts, into 3br presidential suites. The 2 and 3 br counterparts at the same resort, same week have sometimes NO advantage, at 95% of the results pulled.

It *could* differ in II, but until someone who owns two size units at the same resort, same week, and shows me otherwise I'll assume it's the same results as RCI. There's just too much hearsay otherwise.

weh8625

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Same question

I am a newbie and just learning as well, but haven't made my first purchase yet.

Has anyone bought at a dual affiliated resort, and then done RCI for a few years and II for a few years, and switch back and forth like that depending on their needs, or is that impractical?

It seems like most of the advice is from II people recommending II and the same for RCI people recommending RCI, each of them with their valid reasons.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. Both of my fixed weeks are dual-affiiliated. Sometimes they go to one exchange, sometimes the other, depending on my needs.

I've written this elsewhere, but I find that I tend to use II for "specialty" trades (like DVC), but RCI for most exchanging needs. But, I'm beholden to the school calendar, am mostly looking for destinations within a 2 days' drive (excepting my one annual February flight to Florida), and don't need "luxury" so much as I need "clean, comfortable, and in a family-friendly location."

Your mileage may vary.

jdetar

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own that same unit at KCP - I currently trade with II and am also contemplating RCI in the future depending how the whole DVC thing plays out. If they use the 1 in 4 rule - I probably will not - all depends.

When to split the 3BR and then deposit both with II. I call II first and see what weeks they will issue an AC for and then call the resort and book those. This way - I get my two unit weeks and also get 2 ACs.

Even if DVC uses the 1-in-4 rule, it will only apply to each particular resort. Ie: Massanutten has a variety of Gold Crowns as well. The 1-in-4 rule means you can only visit EACH one during that time period. So you can travel to 5711 (Woodstone) or 3640 (Summit) EACH during the 4 year period, and even go to 2293, 2650, and 1645 as much as you want. DVC will probably all be gold crown, so if they have 4 resorts, all gold crown, and they use the rule, you could even still go every year if you like, just exchanging into a different one each time, then repeat the process. :)

jdetar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Orange Lake has a 1-in-3 across all OL properties as a group. I vaguely recall that there is at least one other system that does this.

You sure? I was told this specifically by RCI.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Bnoble said:
Quote:
Even if DVC uses the 1-in-4 rule, it will only apply to each particular resort.

Not necessarily. Orange Lake has a 1-in-3 across all OL properties as a group. I vaguely recall that there is at least one other system that does this.

What you were told by RCI is not the information that I have seen over and over agian here on TUG. Many resort systems have set up rules with RCI which make the 1 in 4 rule to mean, that you can only trade into that resort system once every 4 years. So if you go to one of the resorts in the system, you can't return to any other resorts in the system for 4 years. ( generally though the resorts must be in the same general area of the country) So you could get locked out of the both of the HGVC resorts in Orlando, but still be able to trade in one of the HGVC in Vegas or Hawaii within the 4 years.

BUT this is a rule not made by RCI but made by the resort system and RCI togther. Which means it could be different for each resort system in RCI.

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Right---each set of resorts negotiates its own deal for 1-in-N rules. And, in OL's case, they aren't in the same area. You'll see something like this in the Urgent Information for any OL exchange, mis-spellings and all.

1 IN 3 YR RULE APPLIES ACROSS ALL ORANGE LAKE PROPERTIES-IF YOU HAVE TRAVELLED TO ANY ORANGE LAKE PROPERTY YOU CAN NOT RETURN UNTIL 3 FULL YRSHAVE PASSED- RESORTS INCLUDE 0670-8896-8897-5421-A493-A430. RULE APPLIES TO 'REG' EXCHANGES NOT EXTRA VACS/BW'S. OWNERS ARE EXCEMPT- VIOLATIONS WILL BE CANCELLED.

jdetar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good data point. When I went over that with RCI, it was for Massanutten specifically, and then I also confirmed it by Emailing the resort. Good rule of thumb to go off the text in the description/urgent information, or if in further question then call the resort.