• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

highest trading power in AZ (SDO)

Gordo1111

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi - I'm a new SDO owner- 1bd premium EY. I'm just about ready to make a reservation and deposit it in II (within 2 weeks). I float 1-52.

I then will trade.

Besides looking at the demand index in II - what weeks appear to have the most power for this TS?

thanks, Dave

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
March. Those weeks benefit from both spring training and excellent weather.

James1975NY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will "the short notice" 3.5 months have an impact vs dec 09 which is 12 mos out? thanks -

You will get full trade value for any week that you deposit provided that you deposit the said week greater than 60-days in advance. Any less than 60-days out, you will still have full trade but you can only request exchanges up to 60-days in advance with that deposit.

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will "the short notice" 3.5 months have an impact vs dec 09 which is 12 mos out? thanks -

A deposit which is 3.5 months to its occupancy date is a less powerful exchange chip than a deposit made 10 months in advance of its occupancy date.

I.I.assigns more value to a deposit with longer lead times.

Any deposit made more than 60 days in advance is unrestricted.
A deposit made less than 60 days in advance is restricted to a trade 60 days or less.

James1975NY

TUG Member
Reaction score
A deposit which is 3.5 months to its occupancy date is a less powerful exchange chip than a deposit made 10 months in advance of its occupancy date.

A deposit made less than 60 days in advance is restricted to a trade 60 days or less.

Interesting. First I am hearing this. Has II changed their policies or has this always been the case? This is not what I remember from working with Starwood Vacation Ownership - but that was 2.5 years ago.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club

Would this be the case if Starwood assigns a week that's already been deposited from their stockpile? This may be a case where it would better to get a Starwood assigned week (assuming it's a decent week) than your specific reservation.

Glorian

Last edited:

Gordo1111

TUG Member
Reaction score
The SDO I own is resale and no StarOptions. So, from what I understand I can make my reservation and bank it. DG

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
You will get full trade value for any week that you deposit provided that you deposit the said week greater than 60-days in advance. Any less than 60-days out, you will still have full trade but you can only request exchanges up to 60-days in advance with that deposit.

Fred is correct - we used to have a higher up from II post on this board - CraigU - and this was stated clearly - 12 months then 10 months then 8 then 6,etc - every 2 months there was a decrease in Trade Power.

Glorians' suggestion of asking Starwood if they have any 'pre-deposited' March weeks available to transfer to your II account is a good one in this case.
We know they did deposit those March weeks as they were posted on the sightings board. So give that a try before you try for a new reservation to deposit at this point.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Also, the weeks before and after Easter - April 12th.

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would this be the case if Starwood assigns a week that's already been deposited from their stockpile? This may be a case where it would better to get a Starwood assigned week (assuming it's a decent week) than your specific reservation.

Glorian

Could be. The real issue for I.I. is how long they have to make productive use of the deposit. It is more likely that they will match a trade, and collect a fee, if they have 10-12 months to do it, rather than 3-4 months.

If this adds to the exchange value for bulk deposits depends on the other components which determine exchange clout. If a low season week, at a lesser resort, it may not. All the variables get stirred into the pot.

This information is also in the I.I. Exchange sticky at the top of this board.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
so if i have to cancel an II reservation a lagunamar for 2/15/09 i have till 12/15/09 to do so without restrictions, is that correct?

then i will have a week banked and for how long will that week be good for? will i be able to use it in 2010?

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
so if i have to cancel an II reservation a lagunamar for 2/15/09 i have till 12/15/09 to do so without restrictions, is that correct?

then i will have a week banked and for how long will that week be good for? will i be able to use it in 2010?
If you cancel before 12/15/08 - you will have until 12/15/09 to use it.
I am sorry your trip is not working out.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
If you cancel an II exchange 60+ days out, you get a Cancellation Replacement week that is good for 12 months from the date of the cancellation. You must complete travel by that date, so if you cancelled on 12/15/2008, you would have to complete your travel by 12/15/2009. There might be an exception made if you put an ongoing search in for a week or so beyond the cancellation, but not too far out.

So you could not use that Cancellation Replacement week for travel anytime in 2010 if you cancelled on 12/15/2008. Hope this helps.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
You are talking about an II exchange, right? If not, then disregard my posts here.

From what I know (being a II newbie), any cancellation of any exchange will only get you a Cancellation Replacement week that is good for 12 months from the date of cancellation. If the exchange is cancelled less than 60 days out, you get a restricted week that can only be used to book 60 days out for those 12 months.

So no, you could not book anything in 2010 because travel must be completed 12 months from whenever you cancel. For example, I cancelled an exchange on Nov. 10, 2008 for a January 10, 2009 reservation, and the Cancellation Replacement week now expires Nov. 10, 2009.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise is correct. When you cancel an II exchange you receive a Cancellation Replacement week which is good for one year from the date you cancel. You will not be able to travel in 2010 using that week.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Hi - I'm a new SDO owner- 1bd premium EY. I'm just about ready to make a reservation and deposit it in II (within 2 weeks). I float 1-52.

I then will trade.

Besides looking at the demand index in II - what weeks appear to have the most power for this TS?

thanks, Dave
If you reserved and deposited a week in March, it would likely have a trading power about equal to the dec of 2009 deposit. ( better week but shorter length before checkin)

BUT, since it is only 4 months before March, you may find it more difficult to reserve a March week ( they may already all be reserved) than a Dec week. Also, If you reserve and deposit a Dec week, you'll have till Dec 2011 to use the deposit vs March 2011 for the march week.

But, this coming March, I'd reserve a Mar 2010 week and deposit it. It will give you the best of both worlds. Great week and long time before checkin.

Bill4728

Reaction score
The real issue for I.I. is how long they have to make productive use of the deposit. It is more likely that they will match a trade, and collect a fee, if they have 10-12 months to do it, rather than 3-4 months.

This information is also in the I.I. Exchange sticky at the top of this board.

The general feeling here on TUG is that "Time before checkin" is a much bigger deal with RCI than II. That doesn't mean II doesn't value "Time before checkin" and add to trading power when you deposit early, just RCI seem to value "Time before checkin" much more than II.