• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Nov. Thread] Calling Kierland Experts!!

Northeast

TUG Member
Reaction score
Going to Kierland in two weeks in a 2BR. (We can't wait to go!!) Based on what I have read, building 7 is at the end of the property with golf views. We are looking for a quiet section of the property (no kids with us). Can anyone confirm that? How many floors does this building have? Looking forward to going to a Westin. Hopefully it lives up to expectations! Thanks everyone!!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
3 floors (all buildings do)
B7 is great (just the 2 of us)
End unit (#7310) - 1Bd Premium - has open slates over the balcony (vs solid)

Last edited:

Catazog

TUG Member
Reaction score
DavidnRobin are right. We stayed in Building 7 at the end of October and it was great. Quiet, nice golf course view and just the two of us. It's a very quick walk to the pools & lobby area . . . and the bar. Have fun! We did. And if you want any miniature golf recommendations let me know! :)

mlsmn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stayed in building 6
quiet and next to #7

B5Flyer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello!
This is my first post, so here goes!
We just got back from Kierland. We stayed in 6401; that is, 4th flr end unit w/ a corner balcony. Sweet little studio it was.
We went to the 90 minute pitch, bought in Lagunamar, and I just finished my Rescind letter...thanks to all of you! I have until Nov 30th, so I'll FedEx it on Friday. DH was dissapointed, but he heard me out and agreed it was a $mart move.
My concern is that I might have trouble getting back the $550 "Administrative Fee". Its on AMEX, so that might help in getting the charge reversed.
Found TUG just in time, and with a slowday at work, I read and read and read.
Thanx Tuggers!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I guess I was wrong about 3 floors

we were on the 3rd in B7 and that was top floor

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hello!
This is my first post, so here goes!
We just got back from Kierland. We stayed in 6401; that is, 4th flr end unit w/ a corner balcony. Sweet little studio it was.
We went to the 90 minute pitch, bought in Lagunamar, and I just finished my Rescind letter...thanks to all of you! I have until Nov 30th, so I'll FedEx it on Friday. DH was dissapointed, but he heard me out and agreed it was a $mart move.
My concern is that I might have trouble getting back the $550 "Administrative Fee". Its on AMEX, so that might help in getting the charge reversed.
Found TUG just in time, and with a slowday at work, I read and read and read.
Thanx Tuggers!

good for you - many (many) do not get this far - amazing since most people w/money to spend on TSs have computers - congratulations - you will not regret your decision to rescind

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Northeast, ... "Based on what I have read, building 7 is at the end of the property with golf views. We are looking for a quiet section of the property (no kids with us). Can anyone confirm that? How many floors does this building have?"

Building 7 is at the end of the property and has, basically, views over the golf course (2 fairways, then homes). Not much in the way of mountain views, though. Buildings 4, 5 & 6 (but only units numbered 10 and above for building 6) have very scenic golf and mountain views). All buildings at Kierland have a ground floor and an elevator to the other 3 floors. So, they all have 4 floors.

All units are designated as follows (i.e. 6405). That unit is located in building 6, floor 4, unit 05. 2br lockoffs are designated as 640405 in the deed when you buy them. But, unless you look at a map of Kierland (like the one in the TUG Starwood stickies) you cannot tell what type of unit an 04 or an 05 is. When you look at a map the unit numbering system starts at the left edge of the building and runs to the right. Each unit has a balcony. If the balcony is at the very back of the building, the unit is the larger one. If the balcony is "indented" in the building, it is a smaller unit.

Buildings 6 and 7 are the newest buildings and are farthest from the pool and reception area. That means they are more likely to be quiet and less likely to have worn furnishings. But, like all things in life, it's not a sure bet. Who knows who trashed the room last week and who knows if a bunch of kids will be staying with their parents in the units on either side of you?

Both sides of the 2br lockoff are beautifully furnished to Westin standards. The larger side has a fireplace, dinner seating for 6 (rather than 4), a walk-in shower (both tubs are whirlpools), a king bed (rather than a queen), a better equipped kitchen, a slightly larger balcony, slightly better TVs and over-all more room to spread out. The smaller unit is "darker" because there is no window to the outside in the living room area. The only window is in the bedroom. With the normal AZ blazing sun, that cuts both ways.

I own and have stayed in both types of units and even staying in the smaller unit is really comfortable for 2 people.

You say no kids are going with you. If you have reservations in both sides of the lockoff, I sure hope you have invited another couple. If only 2 of you are staying in a 2br lockoff, you will have way too much room.

Kierland is a really wonderful place to stay. Eat at Deseo in the hotel, shop and eat at the Kierland Commons shopping center (1 1/2 blocks away and East of the hotel, but serviced by free shuttles), use the lazy river at the hotel and, if you have a car, shop at the "strip" shopping center South of the villas just across Greenway, the first cross street after you leave the villas taking Clubgate Drive. Golf, swim, go to Sedona! When you return, post here about your AZ experience. Enjoy! :)

Last edited:

oneohana

TUG Member
Reaction score
B5Flyer,

Please read your documents carefully. I don't recall that FedEx is a option for sending a rescession letter.

B5Flyer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks oneohana~
In faint print at the bottom of pg 3, there is a footnote which reads:"The term "notify" as used above, means that a written notice of cancellation is deliverable by any means including certified mail return receipt requested to Westin Cancun..."
Therefore I assume FedEx would meet the "any means" standard of delivery. I guess I trust in their services more that I do the USPS.
May I should use both delivery services?

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
I guess I was wrong about 3 floors

we were on the 3rd in B7 and that was top floor

As I recall, some of the 4th floors do not go all the way across the buildings. While the 3rd floor in a building may have 10 units, the 4th floor may only have 6. So if you were in an end unit on the 3rd floor, you may very well have had nothing above you.

Glorian

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
B7 had only 3 floors - and B4 has 4 floors - I have photos showing this

According to the WKV OM - B1 and B2 has 3 floors and B3 has 4 floors - it doesn't list the other buildings. (early OM)

If I recall correctly - B6 may have units that have both a mountain view to the north and a sunset view.

Da5id

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jarta mentioned eating at Deseo. I'd recommend that also. Ask to be seated at the ceviche bar when you make reservations. You'll also get a discount card when you first checkin to the Villas. It's good for 20% off at Deseo but you must have it with you. If you have the Starwood Amex, don't forget to charge it to your room so you get double points.

Other dining options: Zinc Bistro in the Keirland Commons is excellent. Havana Cafe on 64th and Bell is a great find. It's in the same strip mall as the Arena sports bar. For pizza, NYPD on Scottsdale and Shea is our favorite.

zinger1457

Reaction score
B7 had only 3 floors - and B4 has 4 floors - I have photos showing this

I'm in building 7 as I write this and it definitely has 4 floors. As stated above the 4th floor does not extend all the way to the end, it starts at room 403.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
wow - i stand corrected - i don't know how i could have missed it (even in my photos) - anyway the end unit was great. guess i'd better get back there...

Northeast

TUG Member
Reaction score
You tuggers are awesome! Its such a great thing to know what and where to request when visiting a new property. You all know that location can be an important part of the overall vacation experience. We leave this saturday! Thanks to all of you for your input!!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
OK, now that I know what to request...

How early can I make that request, and what number do I call to make it?

Thanks!

Depends - read the Starwood stickies (above) - it will describe SVO usage.
It depends whether you are getting in as an Owner, or SVN exchanger (or some other way) - it doesn't look as if you are an owner (but that is at 8-12 months) - SVN at the 8-month mark.

SVO Owner Services: 1-800-847-8262

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
chris, ... There are 4 ways I can think of to get into the Westin Kierland Villas (WVK):

1. If you own at WKV in the Season of the week you want to reserve, you can reserve at 12 months out by using your Staroptions (Starwood "points").

2. If you own at WKV out of Season or have tradeable Staroptions from owning a week at another Starwood resort, you can reserve at 8 months out.

3. You can deposit one of your weeks from another timeshare system into Interval International (II) and hope for a match at WKV. Your profile does not show any Starwood weeks. So, this option 3 may be your best shot.

4. You can call WKV and ask to rent a week. The number of the resort is (480) 624-1700. Or, you can reserve through the Westin web site:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=5639 ... eom

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't asking how I can get into WKV.

I am exchanging-in (in late Sept), and I was asking how early I can call to request a particular building?

Thanks again,

You can request it any time you want, but as an exchanger you don't have priority for a particular location. However, Sept. is off-season and that's in your favor. Don't get your heart set on a particular building, and you will be fine.

BTW - the number David posted is for owner services and they don't deal with exchanges. You will have to call the resort directly. You can find that number at the top of the board in the Owner Resources sticky, and then look under the Resort Information heading.
Have a great trip!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't asking how I can get into WKV.

I am exchanging-in (in late Sept), and I was asking how early I can call to request a particular building?

Thanks again,

sorry - I am a bit confused - by "exchanging-in" do you mean as a SVN exchange or II exchange? If it is a SVN exchange - then the correct number number to call is the SVO Owners Services that I listed - and SVN exchanges open at the 8-month point.

if it is an II exchange - I do not know if you can call anyone for a building request (maybe the resort as the time approaches)

nyerinsd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just checked into WKV last night. Wanted to add a nice place to eat... Market Bistro in the Safeway shopping center. Really good food, make your own salads are excellent (and huge), as is the California Turkey sandwich. $20 for three entrees and two drinks.

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you like Italian food, try Nicks. Nearby strip mall place where the food is plentiful, wonderful and reasonable. Ask the concierge.