• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First time "timesharing" - What to bring?

davevt98

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are leaving on Friday for Kauai, HI and will be staying at a timeshare. This is our first time staying at a timeshare and are looking to save some money by eating in. I read a few forums and they said to stop by costo and get groceries before settling in.

We will do so but were trying to think of some things that we can easily bring to make our cooking easier and cost effective. I didn't want to go to costco and have to buy 2 huge bottles of ketchup or decide to cook some steak and have to buy a big thing of steak seasoning.

For those timesharing experts, what have you learned to bring in the past? Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
A good place to start your query would be at the Packing Tips Sticky thread at the top of the Travel Info Forum. You can find it here:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38408

I always cook in and try to remember to bring a weeks worth of aluminum foil, plastic wrap, and ziplock baggies. Then of course, the spices in individual ziplock bags, and many restaurant style individual packs of ketchup, mustard, and mayonaise. We used to gather those up from restaurants before we left but then found that we could buy a box with about 200 packets of each at Sams Club, Costco, whatever. Our conscience feels better now.

A good sharp knife is a must for me. Just be sure to pack it in your checked bags only! :D

Also Laundry Detergent for the week and dishwasher tablets, as they pack easier than powder or gel.

Just try to think of all of the products you use at home during the week and take a small portion of each with you so you don't have to buy(and waste) a whole box/bottle full on the island.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We used to carry a lot of "stuff" with us, now we just buy what we need when we get there. The one thing that dh does bring is a good knife.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We only take carry-ons, and that's for 2 weeks. Lugging a bunch of food to save a few bucks is just not worth the trouble to us. You can buy anything you could possibly need in Hawaii. They have major grocery stores, and Walmart, K-Mart, and Longs. We find a lot of smaller size items in the stores - they are popular with visitors.

Do you already have a Costco Membership? It's $50 and you will never save enough in a week to recoup the $50. Unless you have a big group and plan to eat every meal in, the large size packaging at Costco may waste more money than it saves you.

We have a (free) Safeway discount card and use it to buy only what we need at Safeway in Kapa'a. You can get one at the store.

This is all we take to Hawaii - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=266859&postcount=2

Less is more! :hi:

Last edited:

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For those timesharing experts, what have you learned to bring in the past? Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Definately consider getting your beer/liquor at Costco --- MUCH cheaper!

Also look for sandwich items there like chicken salad at a great price.

For any beach vacation, I suggest looking on the web for one or two of these easy packing coolers, especially if you plan on exploring some out-of-the-way beaches. Very handy also when just sitting out by the beach at your TS. (They are very light and offer some padding protection for some items in your suitcase.)

I also always take a few insulated mugs (~ 20oz.).. something like this -- if you plan to spend time in the sun with a few drinks.

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bring some zip lock bags and a few tea bags. Other than that, we buy what we need there. I don't do much cooking, though. I also never salt my food. If you cook with herbs and spices, you may want to bring some along.

Sue

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you already have a Costco Membership? It's $50 and you will never save enough in a week to recoup the $50. Unless you have a big group and plan to eat every meal in, the large size packaging at Costco may waste more money than it saves you.

Don't pass up the outside food court at Costco --- even if you don't have a membership there (they don't check membership IDs at the food windows). The prices for everything there are cheap by any standard - but for Kuaui, it's almost like giving it away! :D

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Don't pass up the outside food court at Costco --- even if you don't have a membership there (they don't check membership IDs at the food windows). The prices for everything there are cheap by any standard - but for Kuaui, it's almost like giving it away! :D

To tell you the truth, we don't really eat fast food...

Gordo1111

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vanilla Ice Cream - yum...

We will bring some snacks-popcorn, juice boxes for the kids...
we hit the local stores when we are there to stock up the room...

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mix garlic powder, salt, pepper, maybe some cumin and thyme. Maybe a film-can amount. You can season anything to grill or broil with this. Maybe a small, well sealed container of olive oil, but enclose that in a zip-lock, because it'll ruin your day-or more- if it leaks. Foil/zip-lock bags. Sharp knife(s) in check bag. Wine-bottle opener-the waiter's type is small and easy to use. Coffee if you drink it. I find the Maxwell House filter packs handy-no other filter necessary. Your own shampoo/conditioner. Sunscreen. Microwave popcorn.

Jim Ricks

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
To tell you the truth, we don't really eat fast food...

We don't either, but on a visit to the Big Island with my mom (we were staying with some friends) we stopped at Costco to get gas. We also got some frozen cappucinos (I think) at Costco. Our friends said they get them all the time. We were going to lunch at the Four Seasons and when we arrived I handed my empty cup to the valet for him to throw away. His comment "Costco huh?". I told him yes, that way I could almost afford lunch at the Four Seasons. :whoopie:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OK - let's look at it another way. You are leaving for Hawaii tomorrow. I show up at the airport with a suitcase that weighs 30 lbs. and I offer to pay you $40 to take it to Hawaii with you. I tell you to be very careful with it, because there are frozen items, liquids, and breakable items in the suitcase.... But, hey - you'll make $40! :D

Security regulations aside, would it be worth $40 to you to haul an extra suitcase to Hawaii and back? Because that's about what you'd be saving on $200 worth of groceries (20%) by buying things here and hauling an extra suitcase to Hawaii.... Oh, I forgot, you're on Hawaiian Airlines and the airline is also going to charge you $15 for each checked bag, so now the savings is only $25. Your family has 5 bags, so the total extra charge is $75! :eek:

Still gonna carry the extra suitcase full of food for a $25 savings?

If so, while you are standing and waiting at the baggage carousel and wondering how you are going to fit a family of 4 + 5 suitcases in a convertible, and wondering what that broken glass sound is in your suitcase, I'll be the one half-way to my resort with my carry-on! :D

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise,

I know the OP is going to Hawaii, but I tend to go to Grand Cayman. I'm not aware of the prices for things like spices and foil and baggies in HI. I do know that I love to cook, and I do it well, whether at home or in an island TS. In GC, it costs me about $35 to get the spices I need, $15 to get the foil and plastic products, $15 for a knife that cuts for a week, $15 worth of condiments, and $15 worth of detergents. That's about $95 (GC -- which translates to about $120 USD) worth of stuff that I can bring from my home supplies for about $20. So I save $100 USD and my total weight on those items is about 4 pounds. Pack it with my dive gear and never know the difference.

Makes sense to me as $100 gets me 1 or 2 extra dives on island. I'll lug 4 pounds from the airport parking lot to the ticket counter and back for a 'free' dive or two.

But we all have different needs and concerns. ;)

Last edited:

Leturno

TUG Member
Reaction score
You won't listen to me this time but...

You won't listen to me this time but at the end of your first timeshare stay or two you will remember this post. After arriving near/at your destination but before you go to the Grocery/CostCo/Sam's/SuperWalmart/Safeway/WhateverCo do yourself a big big favor and stop and eat before you go shopping for your weeks worth of food.
There is always the desire to just get the grocery shopping done and get to the resort "we will worry about eating then/we can make sandwiches at the resort" is what you will say. BUT what will happen is every hungry person in your group will be throwing too much food into the grocery cart and you all will be so hungry and so tired from travel that you will buy it. At the end of the week you will begin to realize how much you overbought. Especially if your plans change through the week and you end up eating out a few more times then you planned.
EAT BEFORE YOU GROCERY SHOP!
Scott:wave:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But we all have different needs and concerns. ;)

True - and I think it makes total sense in some foreign countries - but not in Hawaii.

And actually, I wouldn't do it anyway, I would rather pay the price to travel light! :hi:

But give me some points for a creative post, at least! :D

Last edited:

Leturno

TUG Member
Reaction score
NON-Stick

Oh and btw most resorts do not provide non-stick pans. So if your cooking requires that you may want to pack a non-stick fry pan. I doubt you will want to do this all the way to Hawaii and back but it is important to know.

We have kids so we bring night lights to put in stategic places so if kids wake up in the middle of the night they can find their way around. It also helps to avoid stepping on misplaced kids items when walking through an unfamiliar condo at night.

If you like to open up the condo and catch some fresh air and/or if the unit is a LOCK-OUT we always bring door stops. They are small pack small and can be bought at Wallmart if you forget them. If you don't then when the breeze kicks up you will have doors slamming. Condo's normally do not have screen doors.

Enjoy your first condo stay! It will ruin you for hotels! :whoopie:
Scott

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Also Laundry Detergent for the week and dishwasher tablets, as they pack easier than powder or gel.

I am new to timesharing also, but have rented plenty of apartments and houses from Northern California to Paris. With timeshares do you really need to bring your own dishwasher soap??? I have never had to do that.

I am also in the bring-a-favored/sharp-knife-and-wing -the-rest group. Expecially if it involves a plane ride. If we can drive I bring the cloth napkins, good wine glasses, misc condiments etc., but if we fly I travel light, cook simply and leave any mustard and salad dressing I need to buy for the next guests.

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
True - and I think it makes total sense in some foreign countries - but not in Hawaii.

And actually, I wouldn't do it anyway, I would rather pay the price to travel light!

But give me some points for a creative post, at least!

Okay, You do get the Creative Post Points for the night. :clap:

And, last year, I would have agreed with you completely -- on everything. This year, even though I hate to admit it, the economy is affecting even the Arts, so I'm a little more conscious of the $$$$. So I revert back to the early days when I had no business going on extravagant vacations but did anyway! :whoopie: It was then that I learned the little tricks that I share now, and will be practicing on my next two trips, Killington in Dec and Grand Cayman in Jan. :banana: I guess I could just cancel one, or I can bring my own spices and condiments to both so I can afford two. :p

My sarcasm is intended to make you smile Denise, not in any way agitate, I promise. :wave:

And sorry for deleting all of your Smilies, I can only post 5 at a time and wanted to get my points across clearly!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My sarcasm is intended to make you smile Denise, not in any way agitate, I promise. :wave:

I teach teenagers, the best have tried and failed! :hysterical:

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Sometimes, cooking "in" is just not worth the hassle at all.

We've found that more often than not, at more vacation locales than not, the only meal we really are successful with saving time & money with is breakfast.

We will buy cereal, eggs, bread, milk, juice and fruit for breakfast and eat in. Sometimes I'm up much earlier than my hubby is, so I can eat w/o waiting for him. If we're up together eggs and toast works well.

As for lunch sometimes, packing a picnic for the day works well and we'll do that via the grocery store the night before.

Dinners are often hard to predict because we end up doing something else that takes longer during the day and we're hungry long before we can get back to the t/s unit. Then we have food planned and bought for dinner(s) and not fixed.

With Entertainment Books and Restaurant.com coupons, we've been able to keep our dinner costs to a reasonable expense, with the convenience factor added in . . . that is our choice for best value.

As was already said, everyone's different and your personal travel habits and preferences will come into play. Good luck and have a great time!

susanmmm

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also pack an over the door clear plastic shoe organizer. You know, the kind that holds about 15 pairs. I picked it up cheap at a discount store. It weighs next to nothing and is easy to pack. It's great for holding all the bits and pieces like charges, sunscreen, batteries, cameras, kids video games, etc.

Have a fantastic trip. Let us know what ends up working for you.

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Susanmmm, I used that tip on our cruise! It was great!
For Hawaii, or anywhere tropical, I take along citrocella (sp?) candles for the lanai. I am really "bugged" by those mesquitos! Truly, I think I'm allergic. I come home with huge welts from those Hawaiian types!
Aloha!

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Susanmmm, I used that tip on our cruise! It was great!
For Hawaii, or anywhere tropical, I take along citrocella (sp?) candles for the lanai. I am really "bugged" by those mesquitos! Truly, I think I'm allergic. I come home with huge welts from those Hawaiian types!
Aloha!

I second this. I have found, over the years in warm buggy places where I want to sit outside, that these are well worth the weight. Especially the better quality beeswax ones that last a long time. They work amazingly well. Bear Creek Candle company sells fairly lightweight ones in a travel tin that are great - link here.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Von. Perhaps families with multiple kids will cook dinner to save money. But for a couple on any but the most limited budget, it's just so much more convenient to go out. And as Yvonne said, even if you plan to cook some dinners, what happens is that you're out and about, and stop at a restaurant for dinner anyway. So if you buy food to cook dinner, you frequently end up not using it.

For my DW & I, we'll usually buy breakfast food -- milk, cereal, eggs, muffins, perhaps bacon -- plus bread and lunch meat for the occasional sandwich. We also get drinks -- a case of water, soft drinks, wine, beer. Plus snacks. We explicitly DON'T buy items to cook for dinner. During the week, if we decide to cook a simple dinner, e.g. throw a couple of steaks on the grill, we'll stop at a grocery store to pick up just what we need for that meal.