• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

geek squad vs easy tech??

irish

TUG Member
Reaction score
so i need to add more virtual? memory to my desktop. yes, it's 8 years old but i REALLY don't want to purchase a new one. i was given GEEK SQUAD AND EASYTECH(staples) as being able to do this in my home(there is no way in hell i would even attempt this myself) has anyone had experience with either of these companies and which/would you recommend
thanks

krissydee

Reaction score
Adding memory is one of the easiest things to do, you should really consider trying it yourself or having a neighbor/co-worker/friend/relative help. There's really no need to pay out money for this.

You just need to buy the appropriate memory stick then slot it in. There should be maybe 2 slots, one will have your current memory stick in, just put the new one in the open slot. Or if both are full you can take out the lowest one and put the new one in it's place.

They're long slots divided up into maybe 3 parts (the metal parts I mean), there is a little plastic hook device that holds it in place at either end. Lift the plastic hook things on both ends and slide it out, put in new memory and push the hook things back down, they might click into place.

When you start up the PC it should detect the memory cards and give you a couple of prompts.

here is a youtube video walk thru
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiFIgSQOY7g

here are a could of walk thru's with pictures
http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/installing_dimm_memory_ram.htm
http://www.kingston.com/tools/umg/umg07.asp
http://www.ehow.com/how_895_install-ram.html

:cheer: YOU CAN DO IT!:cheer:

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
What makes you think you need more memory? (you may very well need more memory, but you said "virtual" in the OP.)

And are we talking about real memory or virtual memory? They are two different things. virtual memory is just swap space on disk. You can have more virtual memory than real memory. When pages of memory are unused, they can be swapped out to a special disk file, and when they are needed again, they are swapped back in. That's how you can have more virtual memory than real memory. Virtual memory settings are managed in My Computer Properties, Advanced pane/Performance/Advanced/Virtual Memory. At least that's where it is on Windows XP.

-David

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
yes, it's 8 years old but i REALLY don't want to purchase a new one.
thanks

8 years old ? !!
you know you can get a new computer with gigs of all kinds of memory and lots of new features for less than $300?

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I go along with the recommendation of finding a neighbor/friend/etc to help. Adding memory is really easy.

What you'd pay one of those services would probably not be worth it given the age of your computer.

HOWEVER, besides adding memory, if they'd also give your computer a "tune up" - checking and optimizing system settings, defragmenting your hard drive, clearing the cache, etc - and perhaps backing everything up - then maybe I'd go for it.

You could also buy software to do the above yourself - check symantec.com or pcconnection.com.