• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

If you have KIDS and are exchanging, read this!

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Even though we have owned a Marriot timeshare for almost 6 years, we have not done much trading. Now that I am more confident about how to utilize our week thanks to TUG, I am splitting my lock-off unit for next year and beginning to play around with both sides to see what kind of exchanges I can pull off!

Starting this year we are more locked in to the school calendar now that our son is in Kindergarten. I was looking at exchanging our lock-off for a 1 bedroom at Lawrence Welk Villas on the Green in Escondido, CA for spring break. When I saw a 1 bedroom available for the week we are open, I was excited! But upon closer inspection of the details of the unit, it was only 565 sq. ft. :( and althougoh the II website indicated it has a full kitchen, it indeed does not:eek: . It has a 2 burner stove and no oven. I expect the fridge may not be full size either. Turns out I was looking at the SMALLER lock-off side of these units as my potential trade and not the larger 1 bedroom which is 820 sq. ft. Quite the difference!

Since we are used to staying in a 1400 sq. ft. 2 master suite unit in Palm Desert, I know we would not have been comfortable in this unit.

I would recommend that before anyone completes the transaction on trading their unit that you make sure what size the unit it is and if it really has a full kitchen. I'm disappointed that the II website was misleading on this and very glad I investigated before completing a trade I know I would not have been happy with.

If you are looking around with your unit for exchange, go ahead and click on the unit you might want and more info will pop up. You still have to go one step further to complete the exchange.

JUST BE SURE YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE GETTING IN EXCHANGE!

Best of luck,
Janna

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh yep, that has happened with us through II, now I don't book anything that is not a 2 bedroom.

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
That happend last summer with us at Fairmont Vacation Villas at Riverview. Super nice timeshare and wonderful location. Luckily it was just the two of us because even one more person would have made it too crowded.

This is a practice I see going on with II, not the resort. If we were going to trade into a 1 bedroom and I couldnt confirm that it was the master bedroom with a full kitchen, first, I would call the resort and if I wasnt satisfied with thier answer maybe I wouldnt book it.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Planning as far ahead as possible is the key to getting the larger units. I didn't even realize this was the case, until I started searching for the sole purpose of posting sightings here on TUG. There are lots of summer 2010 units all over the country right now through RCI (and some through II, although II holds back inventory for future exchange requests).

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Usually, the full vs. limited kitchen tells you what you need to know. But, I agree 100%---not all 1BRs are created equal, and it's important to look carefully.

I almost never take a 1BR for the four of us. The one time I did was okay but not ideal.

ajlm33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lock off unit at Welk Villas on the Green

I was looking at exchanging our lock-off for a 1 bedroom at Lawrence Welk Villas on the Green in Escondido, CA for spring break. When I saw a 1 bedroom available for the week we are open, I was excited! But upon closer inspection of the details of the unit, it was only 565 sq. ft. :( and althougoh the II website indicated it has a full kitchen, it indeed does not:eek: . It has a 2 burner stove and no oven. I expect the fridge may not be full size either. Turns out I was looking at the SMALLER lock-off side of these units as my potential trade and not the larger 1 bedroom which is 820 sq. ft. Quite the difference!

FWIW, the one bedroom lock-off side of the Villas on the Green at Welk Escondido do have a full size kitchen except there is no oven. The fridge is full size including a full size sink and there is a kitchette area with table/chairs to eat. There is also a pull out couch in the same general area, so really it is one large room which includes the kitchen, mini-dining room and couch, including a TV. Also there is a small balcony off of the kitchen area.

In addition, you have the full size separate bedroom and a full size bathroom as well as an area with a desk. Yes, it is a compact one bedroom unit, which is really the lock-off for the full sized villa, but it would be, IMO, quite comfortable for a family with a couple of kids. Much bigger than some of the "one bedroom" lock-off units I have seen elsewhere.

applegirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you ajlm for this clarification. I still think it would be too crowded for us even though the kids are small. We are just used to such roomy accomomdations. Marriott has us spoiled!

Janna

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I was looking for a full kitchen it would bother me that it did not have an oven - that is mainly what I would be looking for. Luckily I really don't want to go on vacation and do much cooking so the partial kitchens are fine with me:) Although I do like a full-size refrigerator.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are some two bedrooms t/s's that do not have a full kitchen. Be careful !

applegirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just booked the larger one bedroom at Villas on the Green for the last week of March. It's my son's first week of Spring Break and I really wanted to go to this resort! Have always wanted to stay there. Sounds like there is a lot to do with kids, plus we want to go to Wild Animal Park one day.

The Lg. one bedroom is 820 sq. ft. which is a far cry from the 1400 sq. ft. we are use to with Marriott 2 bedroom units (what we usually have), but I was using my Shadow Ridge Silver lock-off for exchange, so I don't think I would have been able to get a 2 bedroom anyway.

Before I booked it, I called the resort and spoke to a very nice man in owner services to make sure I was booking the larger one bedroom and not the smaller one! One thing to look for on the description of the unit, once you press "exchange" but before you push "complete"is to look at the kitchen. If it says "oven", then it's the larger unit. A limited kitchen will NOT have an oven, so that's what I will look for in the future.

Now I just need to find out what buildings we should make room requests for since I'm calling back in 3 days to do that (per the nice man's advice in owner services). I'm sure my TUG friends will be of help!

I'm so excited to be going here! Getting an exchange you want really is a thrilling feeling. Yee Haw!

Janna

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jana, I just posted from my map on your other question. The older Villas are also huge, 1400 or 1500 sq feet, so I understand your feeling about space, but the older ones have basically two seperate bedroom suites with seperate bath and a hallway in between, so you might not want to be that far from really little kids anyway. Wild Animal should be lots of fun. Seaworld is also only about a half hour as it is at the northern end of San Diego.
Liz

applegirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much Liz. I'm going to try to find the property map here on TUG. I can't wait to take the kids to Sea World. Haven't been there myself in ages so it will be exciting for all!

When you have little kids it is sooooooooo important to know the layout of these units prior to booking! Another example is Desert Springs phase I. The lock-off unit in these is seperated from the main master by a foyer! Yikes! If I didn't know that and arrived with my two young kids in tow, I would be really upset. Some may think I ask too many questions, but I don't think so. I just like to know exactly what arrangement I'll be staying at!

Cheers,
Janna

scooooter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this information. We, too, are very careful when we exchange to make sure that we call if we have to find out what size the room is. We love the big layout of the units at OLCC. We are here right now and it is SOOOO comfortable for all of us!

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
e-mail/phone

Applegirl,
We have had real good luck at most resorts with them answering e-mails and/or phone calls. We have had 4 timeshares for 20 years or so and 99% of where we stayed was with our kids. We have stayed in 2 bedroom units for most of the time with the exception of about a half dozen one bedrooms. Whenever we are with the kids nowadays I don't even think about doing a 1 bedroom as I would be too uncomfortable.
The one thing I love about Lawrence Welk is the size of the units but we like the older units not the on the green section. For whatever reason as soon as we walk in I can relax and it is the only resort I have had this complete feeling in.
Bart

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Seaworld is also only about a half hour as it is at the northern end of San Diego.
Janna-

FYI Sea World is about 45 miles from Lawrence Welk. During rush hourS (6-9am / 3-6pm) it will take you at least 1 and 1/2 hours. Not to scare you off, but just so you are prepared for the trip with younger kids! Also, don't forget LegoLand which is great for kids that age.