• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Touring San Francisco

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Well today was a training day and I had to drive the school bus with an instructor on board through most of our Field Trip stops in San Francisco. I left the bus yard, in Windsor, today at 7:30 AM and returned at 4:30 PM. We stopped for 1 hour for lunch but the rest was all driving. I thought I would share the itinerary with you because those visiting the area can get a driving relation on how to get from one touring site to the next.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=612804&postcount=4

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Wow! That's quite an impressive tour. I bet you were tired, tired, tired by the time you were done. You had to stop and pay the toll? Your district doesn't have an account with the Bridge District? I know MUNI does, cause when our Ft. Chronkite (sp?) bus would break down, I'd have to tell the shopman (mechanic) to sign for the toll.

That would be a huge undertaking in an auto, much less a bus. Can you imagine trying to describe where you were if you broke down in some of those places? If you break down anywhere near the bridge approach, on the SF side, don't worry. The bridge authority will send a big pusher truck out and they will push you to the area under the bridge. They always do. Did anybody mention that? Its comforting to know that you won't be sitting in traffic waiting for help.

Where did you eat lunch? Did you get to Red's Java House on The Embarcadero? Is it still there? That's where *everybody* used to go when they were training.

Do I miss it? Only for a second or so...But you'll have fun at some of those places.

Fern

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hi Fern :wave: yep I was pretty tired when I got back. It is mentally exhausting making all of those tight turns and driving on those narrow streets with a 40 foot bus. No, we don't have an account. It is rumored that we might get one but you know how long it takes to go from talking about it to management actually doing it. :rolleyes: We stopped for lunch in North Beach (this is like little Italy for those who don't know the area- lots of great Italian cafés) I can't remember the name of the place we were at but the parmigiana was really good!! I don't remember the Red's Java House on The Embarcadero, sorry. I do remember the smell of Ghirardelli Square as we drove by. The air is filled with an aroma like steaming hot chocolate--yum!:p The weather was absolutely gorgeous!! October is definitely a great time of year to be going to The City. It was warm and beautiful! Of course it is also a great time to be visiting the Sonoma County area too. The colors are turning and the vineyards are lovely. Are you feeling homesick yet? ;)

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you get the bus to the top of the hill at the Coit Tower?

As I remember it was pretty tight even with a car up to the parking area.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There is a MUNI bus which goes to the top of the hill at Coit Tower. It is a short bus (32' rather than 40'). Periodically some fool will double park or park over the line and the bus won't be able to make it up the hill. When that happens the bus has to back up into Montgomery Street and turn around. To my knowledge, it is the only place in the MUNI system that a bus backs up unassisted.

Fern

Can you get the bus to the top of the hill at the Coit Tower?

As I remember it was pretty tight even with a car up to the parking area.

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
Wow.... what a tour... are the kids doing that all in one day?

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Wow.... what a tour... are the kids doing that all in one day?

No, this is all the places we could possible go to in a year. Like the elementary schools will go to the zoo and Art Core in high school will go to the MOMA. For training purposes we did them all in one day.

Last edited:

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where did you eat lunch? Did you get to Red's Java House on The Embarcadero? Is it still there? That's where *everybody* used to go when they were training.

Fern

Red's is still there on the Embarcadero. Saw it a few weeks ago when we were in the City. We haven't stopped in in a while but they were busy when we went by.

We went to the Hi Dive (The Embarcadero at Bryant Street) for fish tacos. This was a nice, quiet spot with lots of comfy chairs and a great waterfront view. They had a full bar also if you need that.

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a MUNI bus which goes to the top of the hill at Coit Tower. It is a short bus (32' rather than 40'). Periodically some fool will double park or park over the line and the bus won't be able to make it up the hill. When that happens the bus has to back up into Montgomery Street and turn around. To my knowledge, it is the only place in the MUNI system that a bus backs up unassisted.

Fern

One trip we hiked up the Filbert St. steps to Coit Tower. To my surprise a bus was in the parking lot. We hopped on and I chatted with the driver. I didn't think a bus could navigate the hill and the parking lot. She explained this was a shorter bus than normal. I fully understood the need as she maneuvered forward and back on Montgomery Street. Buses never back up for this distance. Another first! Only in SF! (My wife didn't think this was great fun but I liked the novelty!) Thanks for the reminder Fern!

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well today was a training day and I had to drive the school bus with an instructor on board through most of our Field Trip stops in San Francisco. I left the bus yard, in Windsor, today at 7:30 AM and returned at 4:30 PM. We stopped for 1 hour for lunch but the rest was all driving. I thought I would share the itinerary with you because those visiting the area can get a driving relation on how to get from one touring site to the next.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=612804&postcount=4

Swift, your route was pretty amazing for a car in one day. To do this in a bus is quite remarkable. Add to that, you started in Windsor!

After that one day training trip you may not WANT to go to SF for a while. :D

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Swift, your route was pretty amazing for a car in one day. To do this in a bus is quite remarkable. Add to that, you started in Windsor!

After that one day training trip you may not WANT to go to SF for a while. :D

I just went back to S.F. this last week and took a bus full of high schoolers to China Town. :) Everything went well except for one Goober who thought it would be funny to jump out in front of the bus. :mad: Luckily I stopped in time and then he went off laughing! :annoyed: The teacher riding up front called his actions population control. :cool:

Last edited:

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good thing you have quick reflexes. Population control or not, your life would have been extremely maddening if the kid was hit by your bus. Good for you for your alertness and driving skills. :clap:

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Good thing you have quick reflexes. Population control or not, your life would have been extremely maddening if the kid was hit by your bus. Good for you for your alertness and driving skills. :clap:

The maddening thing was that this was not one of our kids, or even part of our group, this was a full grown adult!!

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Adults can make the worst kids! Like some wine, some adults still need more aging and maturing before they should be let loose.

Thankfully it was NOT one of the kids from your bus. If it'd been one of your bus kids your frustration here would've been on him/her during the drive home and every time he/she rode your bus in the future.

This way all the kids got a good example of how not to behave when they become adults.