• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vistana Villages trading question

readyalready

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi
I cancelled a staroption trip for next week and decided to bank my week in II. I asked for a week at another resort so I wouldn't be blocked from other Orlandos (Disney). I was given an August week at Vistana Villages, where I own. When I look at what it pulls last minute vs what my mother's AC from a Maui Schooner week pulls it is a small fraction. Can someone explain why that is? I can see a bulk Atlantis deposit for next fall. Will it pull almost nothing outside of Starwood?

thanks for any insight
r

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Florida is over-built with timeshares and so Florida weeks are not generally strong traders. Is it early August or the end of August? If it's the end of August it may be a shoulder season week, because the kids are back in school.

readyalready

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is the middle of August, so you are probably right on the trading power. I was most surprised/disappointed at the difference in what it sees last minute compared to an AC, I didn't expect that.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Hi
I canceled a StarOptions trip for next week and decided to bank my week in II. I asked for a week at another resort so I wouldn't be blocked from other Orlando's (Disney). I was given an August week at Vistana Villages, where I own. When I look at what it pulls last minute vs what my mother's AC from a Maui Schooner week pulls it is a small fraction. Can someone explain why that is? I can see a bulk Atlantis deposit for next fall. Will it pull almost nothing outside of Starwood?

thanks for any insight
r
Call Starwood back and ask them to switch your deposit to another previously deposited week....tell them you are not 'seeing' what you would like - it can't hurt to ask....I have had them switch my week to a 'better' week.....ask for your resort in the Feb/March 2008 timeframe (NOT January) or early June/July....

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi
I cancelled a staroption trip for next week and decided to bank my week in II. I asked for a week at another resort so I wouldn't be blocked from other Orlandos (Disney). I was given an August week at Vistana Villages, where I own. When I look at what it pulls last minute vs what my mother's AC from a Maui Schooner week pulls it is a small fraction. Can someone explain why that is? I can see a bulk Atlantis deposit for next fall. Will it pull almost nothing outside of Starwood?

thanks for any insight
r

Did they tell you they couldn't deposit a week from another resort before they went ahead and deposited the SVV, or did they tell you they would try? You may want to call back and ask for a supervisor and get a different resort. My experience is that my Orlando weeks will NOT pull Disney's in Orlando (assuming availability) if that is what you're trying to do.

You can also look on II at the TDI (travel demand index) for Orlando to see the deposited week's relative "value". Weeks 31-34 are "average" and week 35 is significantly below average.

-tim

Southdown13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also just deposited into II for the first time a SVV Bella 2br and requested a Spring Break Week for 2009. Starwood gave me week 1 in a SVV unit, so I called to try and get a more desired week. They offered a March 1st week which is week 9. The TDI for week 9 is much better than week 1 so I ended up taking it.

In searching in II with a SVV 2br vs. a 1br Marriott Timber Lodge unit, the SVV seems like it had much weaker trading power. I was disappointed, but I plan to try and put in an ongoing request early. Next time, I will probably only use this unit for the Staroptions.

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
The biggest part of your problem isn't trade power, it is because you are looking for Orlando with an Orlando week.

There are regional restrictions in II, which will stop you from seeing a huge part of the deposits that are out there. If you want to try for Disney, you can't be using an Orlando week.

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I understand the OP correctly, there was a trip booked for next week that was just cancelled. If that is the case, that likely undermines the ability to get Starwood to deposit another resort into the OP's II account. I had no difficulty in getting Starwood to replace my 2009 VV week with one outside of Orlando.

readyalready

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because it is now mid October and most good weeks would have been 'passed out' already?

When did you have your VV week replaced?

readyalready

TUG Member
Reaction score
The biggest part of your problem isn't trade power, it is because you are looking for Orlando with an Orlando week.

There are regional restrictions in II, which will stop you from seeing a huge part of the deposits that are out there. If you want to try for Disney, you can't be using an Orlando week.

I understand the regional blocks which is why I asked for a non Orlando week to be deposited. I was surprised at the lack of weeks in all other locations, especially last minute, I thought you pretty much just needed a week with a pulse to trade last minute (like RCI).

readyalready

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did they tell you they couldn't deposit a week from another resort before they went ahead and deposited the SVV, or did they tell you they would try? You may want to call back and ask for a supervisor and get a different resort. My experience is that my Orlando weeks will NOT pull Disney's in Orlando (assuming availability) if that is what you're trying to do.

You can also look on II at the TDI (travel demand index) for Orlando to see the deposited week's relative "value". Weeks 31-34 are "average" and week 35 is significantly below average.

-tim

It did take ten minutes of explaining to the Starwood helper until she understood, she had to ask a supervisor if it was possible and said she'd put the note in my account. I'll have to call back and try for something else.

I'll admit that I was digging being able to cancel something at the 11th hour and still get a 'decent' week to use for close to two years. It was my understanding that Starwood deposits these weeks far in advance so trading power should not have been affected by the 'lateness'. That is part of the reason I was still surprised at the low pull.

I'm also familiar with the 'don't buy in Orlando' Tug mantra, I bought it for the staroptions and didn't expect to ever deposit in II.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dunno. I love how my SVR weeks are trading. I just picked up Harborside, have seen every WKORV and WKV and WMH bulk deposits in II so far.

Outside of Starwood, I see with my Orlando weeks the same thing I see with my SDO -- Marriott very limited due to the 24 day Marriott priority, plus I see Four Seasons and Disney when it becomes available.

The truth with II is that you need an ongoing search if you want to catch something good outside of Starwood. And even if you want Starwood weeks, you need to keep checking sightings to make sure you don't miss out on good deposits (like today)!

It's not like you can log on at any time and grab a killer ski or Hawaii week. II just doesn't work like that.

Although I am seeing more and more HI weeks (mostly for short term travel though -- 2-8 weeks out).

Katherine