• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

8 yr son has hernia that requires surgery, any experiences to calm nervous parents?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were just told today our 8yr old son requires surgery for a hernia. We'r told its minor procedure, but of course we're still nervous about it. The doctor says it isn't an emergency, but it needs to be taken care of relatively soon.

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance for any insight you may have.

Regards.
Joe

maggie

TUG Member
Reaction score
My son had hernia surgery when he was a little older than that. The hernia was discovered during a routine physical exam and like in your son's case, it was better to get it taken care of than wait. We were able to schedule the surgery during a vacation period so he wouldn't miss any school or P.E. It was day surgery where he went in, was prepped for the surgery, had the actual surgery which took maybe half an hour, then woke up in recovery, was there for an hour or so, then went home and slept and rested the rest of the day. He had to take it easy for a few days so we let him play video games to his heart's content. I was far more worried about it than he ever was and in retrospect, I see that I shouldn't have worried much at all. He was never scared or in very much pain. The nurses and doctors were all very kind and reassuring. It was fine. It was scarcely a bump in the road. Hope this helps.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maggie - Thanks your comments are reassuring.

Nightnurse - I'm sure you mean well, but the health of a child is one of those subjects that isn't a joking matter.

Regards.
Joe

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
It was fine. It was scarcely a bump in the road. Hope this helps.
Our experience was much the same. Our daughter had double hernia surgery when she was about five or six, and it all went very well. We first noticed a small protrusion on one side that would come and go. The doctor said that usually the other side needs repair, too, when they notice a hernia on one side. So he just did both sides at the same time, and there were no problems whatsoever.

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yikes! The thought of my child having surgery is pretty scary.

Aside from the reassuring post above from naggie, I would consider taking a valium or half a valium shortly before he goes to surgery. The less nervous you are, the less nervous he will be.

I don't think the post from nightnurse was meant to be a joke, although the dancing banana is a bit much.

Seriously, consider a valium. I think it's totally legitimate. Unless those kinds of drugs make you loopy, then that would obviously not be good.

Best of luck to your son and we will hope for a speedy recovery. Kids are very resiliant thank goodness!

Janna

Grand Vic

TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter had the surgery when she was seven. She did very well, and everything went just fine. I share your nervousness and know exactly how you feel, but there is something in all of us mothers that pulls us through every time. Call it Divine Intervention or whatever, but when it comes to our children, we have an inner-strength mightier than anything. I will put you all on my prayer list, as I am sure any Tugger will that reads your post. Best of luck to you and your son.

Vicky

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
My younger son had hernia surgery when he was 3yrs. old. I discovered it when it popped out, and scared the life out of me. He came through the surgery just fine...much better than I did. I'd had abdominal surgery a couple of days before he had the hernia surgery, and he was rolling over, and bouncing around like it was nothing. I don't think you need to be fearful. That was in 1959, and things have progressed greatly since that time, for sure.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
but there is something in all of us mothers that pulls us through every time. Call it Divine Intervention or whatever, but when it comes to our children, we have an inner-strength mightier than anything. I will put you all on my prayer list, as I am sure any Tugger will that reads your post. Best of luck to you and your son.Vicky

Thank you and I agree about moms, but I'm the big strong dad that freaks out about these things. Its quite embarassing, but I've almost passed out several times going through things like this. It happened at my wife's amnio, and when my son had stitches. It's not the sight of blood, but I get stressed and apparently my blood vessels in my head empty, and its good night. I have no control over this and it happens almost everytime I'm in a hospital for someone else's health. When I was in there for my surgery I had no problems, its when I worry about someone else.

Regards.
Joe

julienjay

Reaction score
My son had it too when he was 5 and he did fine. I on the other hand was a nervous wreck. THey let me go into the ER with him until he was "out" so that made me feel a little better. He threw up right after, was a little sore for a few days, but other than that was fine. GOOD LUCK.

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today they can do many hernia surgeries by laporoscopy..no big incisions, just a few puncture wounds. Whether or not the surgeon chooses this method, your son will do fine. Children are much more resilient than we adults are. As JB said, you will be surprised how they recover.

Just an aside, my friend's son had hernia surgery at about the same age (no laps at that time). Two days after his surgery he wanted to go outside and she told him only if he just sat on the porch. When she looked outside to check on him a few minutes later, he was up a tree. She almost died, he was fine.:annoyed:

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
I had a hernia operation when I was 3. I was recently asking my mother about it and how she told me. She said she read me (showed me) a book that was a childs book that was specifically written to show to children about to have an operation. It kind of teaches the process. She said when I went into the operating room, I was pointing out all of the different items in the room and I wasn't scared. I know this is the childs perspective, but might help.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
My son had hernia surgery when he was a little older than that. The hernia was discovered during a routine physical exam and like in your son's case, it was better to get it taken care of than wait. We were able to schedule the surgery during a vacation period so he wouldn't miss any school or P.E. It was day surgery where he went in, was prepped for the surgery, had the actual surgery which took maybe half an hour, then woke up in recovery, was there for an hour or so, then went home and slept and rested the rest of the day. He had to take it easy for a few days so we let him play video games to his heart's content. I was far more worried about it than he ever was and in retrospect, I see that I shouldn't have worried much at all. He was never scared or in very much pain. The nurses and doctors were all very kind and reassuring. It was fine. It was scarcely a bump in the road. Hope this helps.

I do most of my pediatric inguinal hernia repairs during school breaks and vacations. My advise would be to make sure that the person performing the operation is board certified in either urology or general surgery as urologists and general surgeons have the best training in these procedures. However, I understand your anxiety. This is serious business and any reputable physician will advise you of the inherent risks. Most children do very well.

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Surgery

I had two when I was young, not a big deal as I remember. Just sore from the cuts. Have to take it easy for a while.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
If your going to be able to be there that day maybe eat a decent meal before you go into recovery, and make sure you get a chair to sit down in, to avoid a secondary issue the nursing staff must deal with. Take care.

....I've almost passed out several times going through things like this. It happened at my wife's amnio, and when my son had stitches. It's not the sight of blood, but I get stressed and apparently my blood vessels in my head empty, and its good night. I have no control over this and it happens almost everytime I'm in a hospital for someone else's health.....
Regards.
Joe

matbec

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My son was just under 2 years (22 months old) when he had his hernia repair. He'd been crying during the night for a couple of nights in a row before we found the lump in his lower abdomen. We took him to the doctor on the Monday afternoon, and he was in surgery by Friday morning.

The worst part for us was waiting for the surgery to start. Although he was scheduled to go in first thing in the morning, an emergency pushed his procedure back to later in the day, and we had to deal with a toddler who was (by then) hungry and cranky. He was out of surgery within the hour, and we took him home a couple of hours later. He came through just fine - his recovery was uneventful and and the scar faded after a while. He's now 15.

Hope this helps.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Joe, I know u r worried - will keep you both in my thoughts...you will both be fine.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
My son had it at 9 months of age, was running around , I guess crawling around, the next day, is a bodybuilder now and never had a minutes problem. Lots of luck with yours.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the kind words. My biggest concern is how you keep an active 8 yr inactive, even for day or two.

Regards.
Joe

janapur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our daughter had her hernia surgery a year ago this December at the age of 13 months. I briefly shared the experience on TUG, as the event took place while at the Grand Mayan in the Riviera Maya. So not only was this our child's first surgery, but we also had the added stress of insurance hassle and a language barrier.

She is now fine and we can hardly see the scar. I sang to her A LOT while in the hospital. All of those hymms from Catholic school finally came in handy.

Good luck and the sooner the surgery the better!

Jana

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
My biggest concern is how you keep an active 8 yr inactive, even for day or two.
I think your son will let you know he feels. After being under anesthesia, it will take a little time to feel back to normal. So just pamper him and let him rest until he feels like getting back to his usual activities. My daughter enjoyed the attention she got and was happy to rest on Mom & Dad's bed and watch her favorite videos. I can't remember exactly, but I think she could have popsicles or jello or other soft foods that were easy to digest. I'm sure your doctor or the nurses in the recovery room will have directions on what to do when you get home.

maggie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Me again, this time about my husband's hernia surgery which was yesterday. We got back from San Antonio on Sunday night and he had surgery Monday morning. We had scheduled the flights long ago and then the surgery need came up and that was the time that worked out the best. It all went well until last night when we thought the swelling etc. looked excessive. We went to the emergency room and they kept husband to let the surgeon have a look early this morning. Husband did not get in a room and bed until 6:00 am. Other people had worse problems than he in the emergency room and it seems that the hematoma is within the normal range and everything is ok. Finally, I am getting to the point which is to maybe keep an icepack on your son's incision area to minimize swelling and keep an eye on it in general since there can be possible complications. Just don't worry too much.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Me again, this time about my husband's hernia surgery which was yesterday.
Maggie, you and I have this in common--a child who had hernia surgery and a husband who had hernia surgery. Maybe there's a connection between parent and child both having a hernia?:shrug:

But, I can tell you that it was a much more painful surgery for an adult than a child, so for the OP of this thread, maybe that will be some comfort that this problem is being taken care of early in life when it's easier on the patient.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My son had hernia surgery when he was 5. it went fine, but i wa a nervous wreck. They kept in the hospital part of the day. He was sitting in bed, then another child was brought to the room. he got out of bed and played with the other child. The surgeon saw that and went WoW!