• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Royal Mayan or Royal Sands

matyseto

Reaction score
Good evening all,

If you had a choice of a trade between a 2Bdrm @ the Royal Mayan or a 1 Bdrm @ the Royal Sands, which would you choose? We have 2 boys, ages 9 and 11 so the 1 Bdrm would be sufficient room for all of us. And secondly, do you think a rental car is necessary. Thanks in advance.

Danny :wave:

Last edited:

geoffb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both resorts are excellent. The one bedroom villa at the Sands would be fine with the murphy beds but why not enjoy the extra space in the larger unit at the Mayan? The boys will probably like having a choice of several pools at the three connected resorts there.

We never drive in Cancun, it isn't worth the trouble.

-G

matyseto

Reaction score
Both resorts are excellent. The one bedroom villa at the Sands would be fine with the murphy beds but why not enjoy the extra space in the larger unit at the Mayan? The boys will probably like having a choice of several pools at the three connected resorts there.

We never drive in Cancun, it isn't worth the trouble.

-G

Thanks Geoff! Do you know how old the two resorts are? And lastly, do you know how much cab fare is to the resorts?

TIA - Danny

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Mayan is about 25 years old, while the Sands is about 8 years old. HOWEVER, the Royals are constantly maintained and upgraded as necessary, and the age doesn't really matter.

The Sands does have some enhancements over the Tris - e.g. I think the kitchen countertops are solid surface or granite instead of laminate, and more upscale appliances, and a big indoor activities center (compared to a smaller one at the Tris). On the other hand, you'll have more pool areas and more restaurants at the Tris. You can't go wrong either way, and the free shuttle between the Sands and the Tris runs every half hour so either way you can spend an afternoon or a day at the other.

I'm a fan of the Tri-Royals - hence I'd go for the Mayan. I'd also strongly recommend the two bedroom, so the kids and their stuff aren't underfoot in the living room, and so you don't all have to share the same bathroom and closet.

Do you mean cab fare from the airport? Unless things have changed, you can't actually take a cab from the airport - instead there are a bunch of white vans that seem to have the monopoly on transportation from the airport. It was around $10-$11 per person last time I looked. A cab back from the Royals to the airport is less b/c the cab doesn't charge per person.

I strongly recommend pre-booking your transportation from the airport, either via Thomas More (royalresorts.com, down on the left side) or Brant Boston (entertainment-plus.com). Both companies are highly recommended. The services are practically identical - same type of van, same or at least similar price. An advantage of Thomas More is that your transportation will be billed to your resort bill, so you don't have to worry about dealing with money in the airport. If you don't prebook, as you leave the airport you will see a kiosk that sells transportation. I'm pretty sure the price will still be about the same, but it's a lot more convenient to have it already arranged.

VERY IMPORTANT - as you walk through the airport, you will be accosted by many people asking you where you are going, are you going to the Royals, do you want Thomas More, do you need a ride, etc. Do not stop, do not talk to them, do not let them help with your luggage, do not sign anything, do not give them money, do not think "oh, good, here's my Royal Resort transportation." They are the timeshare sharks, NOT your transportation representatives.

Oh yeah - I'm with Geoff on the rental car - not necessary, I wouldn't want one even if it was free, because of crazy drivers, traffic, parking.... However, opinions vary, so you might want to search this forum for car rental to read other perspectives.

Last edited:

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the kitchens at both the Sands and the Mayan are identical...it has been a while, but I vaguely remember the creme colored Formica countertops.
The other plus of the 2 bedroom at the Mayan is the second bathroom.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the kitchens at both the Sands and the Mayan are identical...it has been a while, but I vaguely remember the creme colored Formica countertops.
The other plus of the 2 bedroom at the Mayan is the second bathroom.

Doesn't the Sands have the above-range microwave, and a flat-surface stove? Not by any means a major consideration, just trying to remember.

BSQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the Mayan, but I'm less a fan of the Sands. Given your options I'd opt for the 2bdr as well. I also agree that your kids and y'all might like having more choices in staying at the Tri's, On the other hand, if you're hoping to swim in the ocean, the Sands is the better option, as the Tri's have lots of big rocks making entry and exit to the ocean difficult at times.

We rent a car if we're planning a day trio outside the area, otherwise we use the public bus at 6.5 pesos per ride (about 65 cents). Occasionally a taxi (rarely).

The Royals are all kept up quite well, with continual maintenance. Age of the resort should not be a deciding factor IMHO. : )

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the Mayan, but I'm less a fan of the Sands.

I see you own at the Caribbean; so do we. I love our units at the Caribbean and Islander, but when we trade something else to get an extra week at the Tris, we request any of the three, and we don't request the Sands. The Sands is lovely, but it's just a different "feel".

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless the stoves have been replaced since I owned there, they are the normal 4 burner lopsided ones.

matyseto

Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses! I am now leaning toward the Mayan and will not rent a car. With that said, where would one shop for groceries? I'm kinda use to running to Costco or a large supermarket chain for my groceries. TIA

Danny:hi:

jschmidt

Reaction score
The Sands is lovely, but it's just a different "feel".

I agree with PJ. I think it's called a "HOTEL FEEL"!

Most everyone shops at Wal-Mart because it's easy to get to by bus.

First go to the lobby desk and get a map of El Centro (downtown Cancun) and ask the guy at the desk to mark the location of Wal-Mart.

Catch the bus, Route 1 or 15, in front of the resort and get off at Wal-Mart. Tell the bus driver where you want to get off because it's about a block from the bus stop to the store.

There’s another grocery store called Chedraui that the bus will go by, but for a first timer I think you will be more comfortable shopping at Wal-Mart and yes there is a Costco but it’s more difficult to get to by bus.

Buena Suerte (Good Luck).

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses! I am now leaning toward the Mayan and will not rent a car. With that said, where would one shop for groceries? I'm kinda use to running to Costco or a large supermarket chain for my groceries. TIA

Danny:hi:

JSchmidt's advice is right on. WalMart is an inexpensive 40(?) minute bus ride away, and I think there's a Costco right across the parking lot from it. Some years we go to WalMart - it's interesting to see the different products (and plenty of the familiar ones as well), and it's a mini-adventure. If you go, you might want to go over to the toy section to buy a game of "Lotteria" - Mexican Bingo. The activities staff play it every day at noon at the Mayan, and my kids have enjoyed playing it at home as well. There's also a McDonald's inside WalMart. WalMart is fun, but afterwards we usually regret giving up an afternoon of beach or pool time for shopping.

Whether you need to do major grocery shopping depends on your cooking plans. The mini-markets at the Royals have a good selection, though there are no fresh meats. We combine what we get there with take-out from the Express at the Royal Caribbean (middle of the Tri-Royals, maybe a minute or two walk from the Mayan, has reasonable prices, and free delivery to your villa). (The Sands also has an Express take-out with the same choices.) For example, you can get excellent ribs or a good-sized roast chicken at the takeout along with a large caesar salad and rice. It's enough for four unless you are huge eaters. We buy tortillas and rice and a can of beans and an onion at the mini-market, roast chicken and fresh salsa at the Express, and make fajitas. Kid's price burgers, dogs, quesadillas, and other choices are available pool-side, delivered to your villa, and at all the restaurants on-site. Your kids will probably enjoy getting a non-alcohol strawberry daiquiri or chocolate monkey at Happy Hour, delivered right to their spot at the pool or beach, and you will probably like $1 or maybe $1.50 price.

Last edited:

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is Sam's Club across the lot from Wal-Mart.
Agree with PJRose about using the Express for a lot of things. If you don't need a lot of things and are willing to pay just a bit more, just use the store at the resort. They also have some frozen meals if I remember correctly. You can certainly get everything you need for breakfast.
You will have to decide if it is worth it to you to spend part of a day downtown...bus ride, time in the store, and cab or bus back to the resort vs just a ten minute trip downstairs.
I will be there for 3 weeks and you can bet I will be at Sam's and WalMart to load up but maybe you won't need so much.

diannec

TUG Member
Reaction score
Royal Sands or Royal Mayan

The Royal Sands is closer to the center of town with restaurants, etc. However, a free bus service travels among the Royal Resorts. The reason you can only get a 1 bedroom is because the Royal Sands was sold as lock-off units. I personally really like the Royal Mayan, the Royal Islander and the Royal Carribean. They are all three together with a wonderful beach, beauiful pools that connect them, and the extra bedroom is really a plus. Now if you knew you would definitely have ocean front, you might choose the Royal Sands. We always ride the buses in Cancun. They are cheap and very frequent. We usually take a bus into town and buy groceries at a large supermarket with the locals. It is much cheaper and more fun. You just stand at a bus stop, and I don't think we have ever waited more than 10 minutes. We are going back to Cancun in November, and it will be our 5th trip, 3 of them at the Royal resorts. We went to a T/S presentation at the Royal Sands. It is fancier, but as I recall, the beach is not as nice.

Good luck.

Dianne

Good evening all,

If you had a choice of a trade between a 2Bdrm @ the Royal Mayan or a 1 Bdrm @ the Royal Sands, which would you choose? We have 2 boys, ages 9 and 11 so the 1 Bdrm would be sufficient room for all of us. And secondly, do you think a rental car is necessary. Thanks in advance.

Danny :wave:

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
I think it's the # 2 bus that you take to Walmart/Sam's club.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
a great beach? :confused:

Welll.....it's certainly not like it was before. The turquoise ocean is still lovely to look at and the beach is great for strolling along, and once you find an opening and get past the rocks at the edge of the surf, the swimming is generally good. At least it's not like the Atlantic with greenish water where you can't see your toes!

JEFF H

Reaction score
The Beach at all Royals in Cancun is always changing.
sometime their are rocks and other times they are covered by sand. This can change daily depending on the current tidal conditions.
Normally their will be atleast one or two areas where its safe and rock free to enter the ocean.
The Tri-Royals offer three resorts side by side giving you more pools,resturants,beach area to choose from.
The Sands is a good resort but the veranda resturant is very noisy inside and is my least favorite.
The kitchens are basically the same except the Sands has the microwave above the stove. The Tri-Royals have microwaves on the counter.
I would take a 2-br over a 1-Br for the extra bathroom and bedroom for the children.
The only possible downside at the Mayan is they have a few units that face the lagoon instead of the ocean.
They also have a few that are blocked by the beach-front building and have no ocean view.
If having a ocean-view is the most important thing to you take the sands or a unit at carribean or Islander.

Last edited: