• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagunamar Starpoint incentives?

lars158

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of buying Lagunamar 2 BD/LO PlatinumPlus and is wondering what the current incentives are in terms of Starpoints? I was told 60,000 by a sales rep but want to double check to see if others have received more points?

When I was visiting Hawaii back in July they offered 120,000 Starpoints for Princeville 2 BD/LO Platinum, so 60,000 for the same unit in Lagunamar sounds a bit low...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I hoped we had talked you out of that...you know that Starwood has significantly raised the number of Staroptions required to reach 5 Star Elite, right?

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends on what size and season you buy. PM me and I'll email you the sheet from the developer that lists all of the SP incentives for WLOR.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Ok - I'll say it.

Buy Resale (at least first)
Buy Mandatory and SVN exchange into WLR in the short term
If you still want WLR - buy resale there in the future when the prices are 1/3-1/2 of what you are paying.

and... 60K SPs is not much of an incentive. Like 5-6 nites at a moderate Starwood hotel. We got 190K (w/ same day EP) for EOY WPORV.

Is buying from SVO worth the value for the priviledge of converting SOs to SPs? Really? Really, Really?

Perhaps large incentive days are behind us - but unless you are flowing in excess $ - why are you way over spending to buy WLR from SVO?

Ok - I said it - good luck.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Recent Lagunamar Purchase(s)

"I was told 60,000 by a sales rep"

60,000 "bonus" Starpoints is what I was offered last month for a Lagunamar Platinum 2 br even or odd (148,100 Staroptions every other year). 130,000 is what I was offered for an annual Lagunamar Platinum 2 br (148,000 Staroptions every year).

I bought two Lagunamar Platinum 2 br at the same time (one even; one odd) to requal 2 non-developer purchases. It took the office manager to approve the full "bonus" 130,000 Starpoints since I bought the equivalent of an annual. But, it was expressed as 65,000 Starpoints for each separate transaction in the closing documents.

It looks to me like you are negotiating to buy a Lagunamar Platinum for every other year. So, the 60,000 "bonus" Starpoints is the same as I was offered - until I made it clear that I wanted the full 130,000 for the equivalent of an annual. If you are buying an annual 2 br in Platinum season at Lagunamar, hold out for 130,000 Starpoints. Good luck!

Last edited:

lars158

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hoped we had talked you out of that...you know that Starwood has significantly raised the number of Staroptions required to reach 5 Star Elite, right?

Yes, I am aware of the new 5*Elite requirements and with my current resale units I am above the new SO requirement when adding Lagunamar. I have purchased several resale units over the last few months and will now finish up with a developer unit to requalify resale. I am doing this in several steps by first buying a studio, then upgrade to 1 BD then to 2 BD/LO (and requalifying a resale for each step).

Last edited:

lars158

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok - I'll say it.

Buy Resale (at least first)
Buy Mandatory and SVN exchange into WLR in the short term
If you still want WLR - buy resale there in the future when the prices are 1/3-1/2 of what you are paying.

and... 60K SPs is not much of an incentive. Like 5-6 nites at a moderate Starwood hotel. We got 190K (w/ same day EP) for EOY WPORV.

Is buying from SVO worth the value for the priviledge of converting SOs to SPs? Really? Really, Really?

Perhaps large incentive days are behind us - but unless you are flowing in excess $ - why are you way over spending to buy WLR from SVO?

Ok - I said it - good luck.

Yes, I agree resale is the way to go. But as you have also done (WPORV), a unit from the developer will help me get remaining resale units qualified into SVN for 5*Elite. In addition, I live in Texas and have short flight to Cancun, so Lagunamar is a great resort for me to own on the long run, but yes there is a big premium to pay when buying directly from SVO...

I am going to requalify my resale units mainly for 5*Elite and flexibility of trading Voluntary resorts within SVN. I have no intentions to ever convert usage to SP's (I get enough SP's through travel and AMEX). In my case 5*Elite is a valuable benefit as I travel a lot in Europe, where there is a significant benefit to have Platinum membership (I have seen this first hand).

Last edited:

lars158

TUG Member
Reaction score
"I was told 60,000 by a sales rep"

60,000 "bonus" Starpoints is what I was offered last month for a Lagunamar Platinum 2 br even or odd (148,100 Staroptions every other year). 130,000 is what I was offered for an annual Lagunamar Platinum 2 br (148,000 Staroptions every year).

I bought two Lagunamar Platinum 2 br at the same time (one even; one odd) to requal 2 non-developer purchases. It took the office manager to approve the full "bonus" 130,000 Starpoints since I bought the equivalent of an annual. But, it was expressed as 65,000 Starpoints for each separate transaction in the closing documents.

It looks to me like you are negotiating to buy a Lagunamar Platinum for every other year. So, the 60,000 "bonus" Starpoints is the same as I was offered - until I made it clear that I wanted the full 130,000 for the equivalent of an annual. If you are buying an annual 2 br in Platinum season at Lagunamar, hold out for 130,000 Starpoints. Good luck!

Thanks, this was the information I was looking for... I was actually offered 60,000 for a 2 BD/LO PlatinumPlus EY (30,000 for Studio and another 30,000 when upgrading to 2 BD/LO). This is obviously low based on your experience at Lagunamar. Your feedback will help me in my negotiations...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Sorry - unlike DM - I don't/can't keep up with who is doing what (in the OP - there was no detail) - if it is for a requal, then good luck with whatever you can squeeze out of them.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi Lars - when you are all finished, we'd love to hear the details of how you put the whole thing together. Sounds like you know what you're doing! Good luck!

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great plan. Make sure you have the needed $10,000 price difference each time you go from one step of the upgrade to the next. Also, I am told your purchase has to be over $20,000 to retro something. Is a studio over $20k nowadays? Or could they possibly be relaxing those rules now?

Finally, take a look at the recent post inviting NY residents to purchase Lagunamar at a $5000 discount! I don't see why only NY folks should be honored this great discount. I would ask for it too!! It doesn't hurt to try!

Katherine

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Finally, take a look at the recent post inviting NY residents to purchase Lagunamar at a $5000 discount! I don't see why only NY folks should be honored this great discount. I would ask for it too!! It doesn't hurt to try!

Katherine

I asked specifically about this "deal" last week and it is absolutely limited to NY residents. It has something to do with Starwood's ability to sell timeshares to NY residents. Let me know if you get different information.

-tim

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, it's good that you asked. I would wait 2 more weeks. That discount might be applying to all the new purchases given the economy.

They are selling Riverfront at a $10,000 discount right now compared to Steamboat!! So think about waiting a bit longer....

By the way, if I read correctly, you were going to upgrade a studio to a 1BR and retro something. Then upgrade a 1BR to a 2BR to retro something else? I am looking at the new price list and I don't think there is the needed $10,000 price difference in each step of the upgrade. So confirm these with your rep (in writing!!!) before you embark on this upgrade saga. Remember, they can change the rules right in the middle of your upgrade process and BOOM, you are out of luck and out of a lot of money!

Katherine

lars158

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, it's good that you asked. I would wait 2 more weeks. That discount might be applying to all the new purchases given the economy.

They are selling Riverfront at a $10,000 discount right now compared to Steamboat!! So think about waiting a bit longer....

By the way, if I read correctly, you were going to upgrade a studio to a 1BR and retro something. Then upgrade a 1BR to a 2BR to retro something else? I am looking at the new price list and I don't think there is the needed $10,000 price difference in each step of the upgrade. So confirm these with your rep (in writing!!!) before you embark on this upgrade saga. Remember, they can change the rules right in the middle of your upgrade process and BOOM, you are out of luck and out of a lot of money!

Katherine

That's interesting, I didn't know Riverfront still had inventory... I need to check on this!

As far as upgrading and requalifying at Lagunamar, when going from Studio to 1 BD you need to fix a week for an additional 10% to reach the required margin of $10K.

lars158

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great plan. Make sure you have the needed $10,000 price difference each time you go from one step of the upgrade to the next. Also, I am told your purchase has to be over $20,000 to retro something. Is a studio over $20k nowadays? Or could they possibly be relaxing those rules now?

Katherine

Yes, the current price for a PlatinumPlus Studio is $22,900... You are correct to requalify a US/Mexico unit the total price must be over $20K (Hawaii and Caribian > $40K).

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's interesting, I didn't know Riverfront still had inventory... I need to check on this!

As far as upgrading and requalifying at Lagunamar, when going from Studio to 1 BD you need to fix a week for an additional 10% to reach the required margin of $10K.

Great point! I forgot that if you fix a unit, they charge you 10% more and that often gets you to the next level! Thanks for reminding me. Very clever plan!

Did you see resales? Redweek had a good price on an EOY. How about buying that and upgrading it while retroing a unit? It could save you a good $10,000. Not sure if the numbers work out but it's worth a look.

Katherine

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score

Riverfront is selling 2BR LOs for $45,000 during their Plat+ season. You can purchase 2 EOYs and retro 2 of your units. I can give you the sales person's name if you need it. Just PM me. Katherine