• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cape Cod equivalent on West coast

calgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions for summer vacation spots similar to Cape Cod or Hilton Head. Flat long bike paths, relaxed unhurried pace, lots of nature. But minus the 6 hour flight required to get to the Cape or Hilton Head from California.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions for summer vacation spots similar to Cape Cod or Hilton Head. Flat long bike paths, relaxed unhurried pace, lots of nature. But minus the 6 hour flight required to get to the Cape or Hilton Head from California.

Lake Chelan in Washington. Sun River in Oregon. Hood Canal in Washington

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The San Juan Islands in Washington State are considered the Martha's Vineyard of the West Coast.

Dave

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The San Juan Islands in Washington State are considered the Martha's Vineyard of the West Coast.

Dave

Agreed. I didn't mention the San Juans because I restricted my comment to areas that had timeshares. If we drop that constrant and the goal is quiet and laid back, I would skip the San Juans and head north of the border to some of the islands in the Georgia Strait (such as Salt Spring, Vancouver Island, or the Sunshine Coast.

In that vein, we should include Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, where Pacific Shores is located.

But if the OP wants locales as flat as Cape Cod, that's going to eliminate almost the entire west Coast. There just aren't any non-urban recreational areas in the west that I can think of that aren't at least a bit hilly.

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I didn't mention the San Juans because I restricted my comment to areas that had timeshares. If we drop that constrant and the goal is quiet and laid back, I would skip the San Juans and head north of the border to some of the islands in the Georgia Strait (such as Salt Spring, Vancouver Island, or the Sunshine Coast.

In that vein, we should include Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, where Pacific Shores is located.

But if the OP wants locales as flat as Cape Cod, that's going to eliminate almost the entire west Coast. There just aren't any non-urban recreational areas in the west that I can think of that aren't at least a bit hilly.

Lopez of the San Juan Islands is comparatively flat and famous for biking.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/getaways/137818_lopezride04.html

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't been to HH or Cape Cod but I have been to Coronado, across from San Diego. Coronado has flat long bike paths, relaxed unhurried pace, lots of nature (mixed in with a small town). Also, sans the 6 hour flight.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
The PERFECT equivalent is Pebble Beach and the Monterey Peninsula. Gorgeous, long winding paths along the Pacific Ocean with perfect views from every corner! Deer running around. Great golf and wonderful quaint restaurants. Plus close enough to SF to drive up in a day!

Katherine

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't been to HH or Cape Cod but I have been to Coronado, across from San Diego. Coronado has flat long bike paths, relaxed unhurried pace, lots of nature (mixed in with a small town). Also, sans the 6 hour flight.

Coronado was the first thing that came to my mind too. I've never been to Cape Cod or H.H. but I'd love to go!

calgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i was being lazy when I said flat. My family can handle a hill or two. Thank you for the great suggestions, some "in my own backyard" (Monterey area and Sonoma). I will check out the Washington state locales; hadn't really considered them.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Cape Cod of the west? I was thinking the Oregon Coast.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hood Canal in Washington
We recently returned from Blue Heron which is right on the Hood Canal, and loved the location - very scenic, relaxed, low-rise - mixture of "quaint", upscale, and authentic fishing communities - lots of nature. I don't recall bike paths along the immediate canal-front stretch of road, and had to be watchful when walking along it, though maybe there are some nearby. (But there are kayak and paddle-boat rentals if you want to tour by water rather than land.)

And from Pacific Shores, you also have access to many pretty islands by ferry out of Nanaimo.

travelnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's a timeshare at Avila Beach, west of San Luis Obispo. It's in a somewhat isolated location in this small beach town. There's a nearby mineral spa where you can rent hot tubs by the hour complete with yellow rubber duckies. In summer they used to show movies in the pool.

In SLO visit the downtown area; Cal Poly campus store where CP food products are sold, visit the animal barns, take a walk or bike up Poly Canyon; hike to Mt. Madonna above the famous inn; visit the beach towns of Morro Bay, Los Osos (butterfly trees in winter), Pismo Beach.

Take a day trip to Cambria for craft shopping, restaurants, and antiquing, and north to Hearst Castle, stopping in the tiny artists' community of Harmony. North of Hearst Castle, elephant seals spend the winter lounging on the beach right next to Hwy 1 in winter. Lots of good seafood restaurants everywhere in the area.

Canoes can be rented for a trip over to Montano de Oro State Park, or you can drive there and hike some trails. Have lunch at the restaurant where you return the canoes.

Visit the farmers' market in SLO on Thurs. nights. There's entertainment and local restaurants sell sample plates of their specialties. There's a small zoo for kids in Atascadero to the north and a natural history museum just north of Los Osos.

In season, whale-watching trips may leave from the pier in Morro Bay.

My other suggestions would be to look for rentals on or near the beach in Aptos or Capitola south of Santa Cruz, or in Seaside, near Monterey. I don't know about timeshares there. You are close enough to drive down for a day or weekend to check out these places in advance.

Last edited: