• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SVO/ II request first-Beware

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a request first in with II using my 2009 unit. I wanted to make a resevation this morning for Harborside and was denied. In the past I've put in II request firsts and when it came time to make a Starwood resevation they just put me on a 3 way conferance call with II and the request first was cancelled the SVN trade was made. I have done this 3 times in the past. Today is Sunday and the II/Starwood desk dosen't open untill 10am so when I called at 9 am Starwood was unable to make a reservation for me .I did get lucky at 10am when the II/starwood desk opened I was still able to book Harborside. Although this is not the busiest time of year I could have easily been locked out because of the request first .The operater told me I got the last standard 2 bedroom for that date. Close call :doh: .

abdibile

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I do not get that?

Are you talking weeks for weeks exchange in Interval International? Meaning you exchange your week against a week someone deposited (and previously reserved directly with Starwood)?

Why should such a trade be denied (If trading power is sufficient and you get a match)?

Why should you be able to cancel an II trade and then book through SVN (meaning you just reserve a week with Starwood that noone else has reserved)?

barndweller

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also don't get it. Does your request first show up online? How did you spot a Harborside unit? What were you searching with? Why not just confirm online? Why do you have to do it with a phone call to SVN?

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
A "request first" works like this -You use your week to search II inventory for a match of something you would like to trade for or set up an ongoing serch for specific resorts or locations. Being that this is a request first you do not have to deposit your unit to do this search. If no trade is made you still have your unit and can use it. You are suppossed to be able to cancel this "request first" and book you own unit anytime .Harborside is a Starwood Vacation Network resort at 8 months I can book a unit there if there is availability just as if I owned there.The problem occured when I went to book the Harborside unit using the unit I own (SVV) the operator could not cancel the "request first" because the II desk wasn't open when I called.I had to wait an hour for the II desk to open to make the reservation at Harborside.At 8 months out you need to call at 9am usually to get a reservation at Harborside because even if your in the Starwood network Harborside is a difficult resort to reserve . I hope this explains things better.

Last edited:

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Transit -
Gosh, I didn't realize you had been thru so much Sunday morningl. I thought we had just got really lucky. You really had to work for yours. :wall: Your more of a gambler than I.

Oh well, by the way, when will they send the e-mail confirmation? any clue?

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recieved the conformation right away . I also wanted to add I have given up on "request first" after 3 tries I have not been able to get any of the resorts I put in for.

Last edited:

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called and they (supposedly) sent another e-mail conf. :crash: I have a res. # and they verified, but said if it doesn't come, they will send regular mail.

From other previous posts, this is not uncommon to not get the e-mail on time or at all. I just like to have something in writing though. you know.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can never receive confirmations at my home e-mail address (my ISP is RoadRunner). I call and ask them to send another one to my gmail address and that always seems to work.

I read recently they were changing how they send out e-mails because they get trapped in many spam filters (at the ISP level so there's nothing the recipient can do) but there may still be problems with their system.

James1975NY

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think what is being explained here is that prior to the 8 month window opening up to use StarOptions he opened a "request first" with II (Why not have everything working for you?).

Since the "request first" did not come through with II, he then called Starwood directly at 9am to book internally using the 2009 week. The Starwood rep was not able to use the 2009 time because it was "tied up" with a request first search and in their database the time was "consumed". Because II did not open until 10am there was a full hour where every other owner was potentially booking all of the SVN space.

My comments on this.....this was a great strategy and I suggest that you continue to do this. What you need to do is contact Owner Services directly to open your request first. That way, if you need to cancel, you can cancel the request first with Starwood. The bottom line here is that because II collected the money, you had to contact them to cancel the request.

Make sense?

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think what is being explained here is that prior to the 8 month window opening up to use StarOptions he opened a "request first" with II (Why not have everything working for you?).

Since the "request first" did not come through with II, he then called Starwood directly at 9am to book internally using the 2009 week. The Starwood rep was not able to use the 2009 time because it was "tied up" with a request first search and in their database the time was "consumed". Because II did not open until 10am there was a full hour where every other owner was potentially booking all of the SVN space.

My comments on this.....this was a great strategy and I suggest that you continue to do this. What you need to do is contact Owner Services directly to open your request first. That way, if you need to cancel, you can cancel the request first with Starwood. The bottom line here is that because II collected the money, you had to contact them to cancel the request.

Make sense?
Yes, I understand,Go through SVO not II to open the request first.Thanks for the suggestion.

The stategy I tought was good also but I was never able to connect either because SVV didn't have enough trade power ,the Resorts/dates I put in for were not deposited or I didn't leave the unit in long enough for a deposit to match.It is another avenue to play with untill a good SVN trade comes through.