• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why shouldn't you sell your Starwood TS?

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, for those who have reasons to sell their Starwood week(s), why aren't you? Do you need more reasons? I suspect that the primary reason is the hit in the wallet if you bought from the developer. But other than that, why wouldn't you sell?

Btw, I have no intentions to sell my WKORV week.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I bought on the resale market and briefly had my WKORV-N villa listed for sale for $50k then $48k because of my dissatisfaction with the OF coding of my villa. I got no reasonable offers, or even bites, even though it one of the lowest, if not the lowest priced OF at the time.

I'm not happy with SVO, but I'm not losing money based on principle. I'm going to go with the intentions of enjoying my week and dealing with Starwood over the view coding if it ever becomes a problem. Being able to trade via SVN into WSJ helped assuage my anger. And while I wouldn't advise anyone who isn't getting a great deal to buy a Starwood unit because I'm unhappy with management and very skeptical about the long term future of the TS division, I wouldn't advise anyone to sell and take a huge loss either.

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
........Why not?

I'm happy....I have no reasons to sell it. I should say that I was interested in acquiring second week at WKORV but decided to buy at DVC instead. My decision had nothing to do with my opinion of SVO and the recent threads about SVO dissatisfaction.

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought on the resale market and briefly had my WKORV-N villa listed for sale for $50k then $48k because of my dissatisfaction with the OF coding of my villa. I got no reasonable offers, or even bites, even though it one of the lowest, if not the lowest priced OF at the time.

I'm not happy with SVO, but I'm not losing money based on principle. I'm going to go with the intentions of enjoying my week and dealing with Starwood over the view coding if it ever becomes a problem. Being able to trade via SVN into WSJ helped assuage my anger. And while I wouldn't advise anyone who isn't getting a great deal to buy a Starwood unit because I'm unhappy with management and very skeptical about the long term future of the TS division, I wouldn't advise anyone to sell and take a huge loss either.

Thanks....understood...your position is very reasonable. Well, I hope the economy turns the other way which will allow you to sell it.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
WKORV:

1) I would take a $18K loss on it
2) I have it rented for the 2007, 2008, and 2009, for more than twice the MF.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Love Starwood....sorry

I really like the resorts. I have been to WKORV, Harborside and SVV all have been nice and well kept. I am not planning on becoming 5* anymore.

I realize it may go down further in value but unlike the stockmarket, when it goes down I do not feel as badly...knowing I can visit there someday helps.

I have also been able to rent it for 2008 and 2009 for 2x maintenace fees and plan on going to Maui 2010.

I keep looking on ebay for more as prices continue to fall...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
WKORV OF 2Bd LO Dlx - we love it and have been renting the studio side to offset the MFs - these are unique units and we are glad we paid a $20K+ premium in buying (and even more glad that we rescinded the WKORVN OF)

WKV 1Bd Prem/Plat - bought 2 both resale - I would actually consider buying another if I could find one for a super bargin - I have had no problem renting for $1000 over the MFs - can use it for exchanging into HI and WLR - and it is a great resort on it's own

WSJ 2Bd TH - bought on eBay for what was a bargain at the time - we love STJ and WSJ - if the sellers ever want to sell their adjoining week - I would consider buying it

WPORV 2Bd LO EOY - bought from SVO - but glad we only bought the EOY - the incentives and the requal help with the cost - the MFs suck

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because you are supposed to buy low and sell high. Not the other way around!

Katherine

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because you are supposed to buy low and sell high. Not the other way around!

Katherine

You're exactly right! Look at what Warren Buffet is doing right now...buying everything in sight that is a good value. It's times like this when fortunes are made and lost. Selling low isn't going to make you a fortune!!!

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're exactly right! Look at what Warren Buffet is doing right now...buying everything in sight that is a good value. It's times like this when fortunes are made and lost. Selling low isn't going to make you a fortune!!!

Except that TS is not a financial investment.

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Except that TS is not a financial investment.

I meant more in general. I would never consider a timeshare an investment. However, now is a good time to buy a timeshare (resale of course). The market is flooded with resale weeks. With people trimming discretionay and luxury items from their budget in record numbers, the market value of those items goes down...creating a perfect opportunity for one who is NOT being effected by the current economic crisis to snag a great deal!

uea1

Reaction score
I meant more in general. I would never consider a timeshare an investment. However, now is a good time to buy a timeshare (resale of course). The market is flooded with resale weeks. With people trimming discretionay and luxury items from their budget in record numbers, the market value of those items goes down...creating a perfect opportunity for one who is NOT being effected by the current economic crisis to snag a great deal!

Market is flooded with timeshare reslaes, but I'm not seeing many great weeks available. Most are bad or okay weeks at best or smaller units. To me, it appears individuals who purchased the most desireable weeks are okay financially and have not yet begun to sell those weeks at firesale prices.

Last edited:

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It was my first Resale purchase...and I am attached...

I probably should sell it...but I like it because;

- I love the resort
- I visit it every other year
- I love having dual membership with II and RCI
- I love trading it with my Wynham, or dumping it in II or using SVN (one day)

- I bought it for $2500 (a 2bedroom) and after paying the assessment I think I should get another 10 years out of it before someone else benefits from me paying it.

Ågent99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well wifey and I got roped into our TS and paid way too much for it so we are just going to enjoy it over the years and not dwell on spilt milk--but certainly we'll learn from it! *EGAD* :)

On a side note, my SPG AMEX has 30k waiting to be transferred. Waiting for what, I do not know but I've been charging on it since the end of July and SPG.com shows I have ZERO points! GRRRRRR!!!!!!

Wifey and I have our 10th anniversary the first weekend in December and I wanted to use points to stay at The Westin Verasa in Napa for the weekend. Now I gotta wait (I think) before I make the reservation or perhaps I can make the reservation and then use the points later?

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wifey and I have our 10th anniversary the first weekend in December and I wanted to use points to stay at The Westin Verasa in Napa for the weekend. Now I gotta wait (I think) before I make the reservation or perhaps I can make the reservation and then use the points later?

They give you something like 3-5 days to get the points into your account and then they automatically cancel the reservation.

Call and put pressure on them.

Ågent99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the thread hijack....

I called AMEX and they said 4-6 weeks to transfer the points. I dunno in this day and age why it takes so bloody long for things like airline miles or points to move from one medium to another. I explained that I've been charging on this card since early August...that is like 10 weeks ago.... :(

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Sorry for the thread hijack....

I called AMEX and they said 4-6 weeks to transfer the points. I dunno in this day and age why it takes so bloody long for things like airline miles or points to move from one medium to another. I explained that I've been charging on this card since early August...that is like 10 weeks ago.... :(

You have the SPG AMEX? It sounds like they haven't yet connected it to your SPG account. Once that's done, you should see monthly points within a few days of the statement. I just checked mine for comparison - and my statement closed on the 2nd and the points are in my account.

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
WKORV:

1) I would take a $18K loss on it
2) I have it rented for the 2007, 2008, and 2009, for more than twice the MF.

Are you taking the rental profit number and including it in your loss?

Also, when I bought I got 450,000 starpoints. That got me a lot of airfare to Maui. In fact, I'm still trying to use it up. That would also lower my loss as well.

Just another angle...

rocky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, I want to sell it. I've learned that timesharing does not particularly lend itself to how I like to travel and I'm tired of taking the time to deal with renting it, booking it, etc. For me..... it's a failed experiment and I'm happy to cut my losses now rather than watch the lost investment grow greater each year that passes. And the way Starwood manages its business is so insulting.... I've had enough.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And the way Starwood manages its business is so insulting.... I've had enough.

I feel your pain, rocky, but I'm sure you know that now is a rotten time to try and sell. If you're weary of renting, maybe you could offer it up to relatives for the cost of MFs...? WKORV is still a beautiful property, and with gas prices dropping, airfare should be more affordable here in the next few weeks.

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any price that I could sell at would be for a profit, however why would I want to sell after using my 2 bedroom VV's options to trade into Harborside? Trips like that and whatever I can get in the future mean hold em, don't fold em.

Ågent99

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have the SPG AMEX? It sounds like they haven't yet connected it to your SPG account. Once that's done, you should see monthly points within a few days of the statement. I just checked mine for comparison - and my statement closed on the 2nd and the points are in my account.

Yes, I have the SPG AMEX and they confirmed that my account is connected. I dunno...I guess I could call and keep moaning and groaning.... :wall: