• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Got Hawaii

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I was up at midnight - and what the clock struck - I got one of the few things available. I got Kalia tower - one bedroom with 2 beds (darn - my husband and I won't sleep on doubles). the kids will be fine in the living room.

I have to do it for 4 more nights. Plus I have to hope, hope, hope that something comes up in Lagoon tower or at least a king bed in Kalia. by the way, are all the one bed plus in Kalia ocean view? It doesn't say on the website - only says that one bedroom is mountain view. I did get the plus.

I guess this is good news - yeah it is. It wasn't exactly what I'd hoped for, but it's not the side of the road. :hysterical:

Thanks to everyone for all your advice. It would have been simple to book the Big Island, but too many told us how great Oahu Hilton is.

My mind is churning - I could add one more night - then get 3 nights on big Island. (We do Kauai for a week after that, but that's a Marriott story). Anyway, would that be too much traveling - 4 nights Oahu, 3 big Island, 7 Kauai (we're coming from the east coast).

Thanks for your help.:cheer:

jestme

Reaction score
The Kalia has studios that all face the ocean, and half the one BR face the ocean, the other half are on the other side of the building, facing the mountain. Although you probably wanted the ocean side, you won't be spending that much time in the room anyhow. Also, another tip from those of us who travel from the east coast. When you get to the HHV, (or at the airport if you get there too late), go to the ABC store at the HHV and buy milk for coffee. If you are like most of us, you will wake up really early, won't be able to sleep, and want a coffee. There will be nothing open at the HHV. The room coffee is the best option at 2:30 in the morning.
Enjoy your trip, it is well worth the late nights now to get the rooms.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Hate to say this but I really like the Big Island over Oahu, especially with younger kids. The Hilton resort there is amazing and the Volcano National Park also amazing nothing like it anywhere I have been, also great beach down the road from the Hilton. If you get the newer Hilton TS that is what I would do and for me when I go to Hawaii I do not like to spend traveling island to island alot. But if you are not going back anytime soon it would really be cool to go to all three island (just drag couldn't fit what I believe is the best island of all Maui). But than that is a good excuse to go back...

HatTrick

Reaction score
So I was up at midnight - and what the clock struck - I got one of the few things available. I got Kalia tower - one bedroom with 2 beds (darn - my husband and I won't sleep on doubles). the kids will be fine in the living room.

I have to do it for 4 more nights. Plus I have to hope, hope, hope that something comes up in Lagoon tower or at least a king bed in Kalia. by the way, are all the one bed plus in Kalia ocean view? It doesn't say on the website - only says that one bedroom is mountain view. I did get the plus.

I guess this is good news - yeah it is. It wasn't exactly what I'd hoped for, but it's not the side of the road. :hysterical:

Thanks to everyone for all your advice. It would have been simple to book the Big Island, but too many told us how great Oahu Hilton is.

My mind is churning - I could add one more night - then get 3 nights on big Island. (We do Kauai for a week after that, but that's a Marriott story). Anyway, would that be too much traveling - 4 nights Oahu, 3 big Island, 7 Kauai (we're coming from the east coast).

Thanks for your help.:cheer:

If HGVC ever develops a "side of the road" property, be sure to ask for a cut of the profits. :rofl:

The Kalia Tower's kitchen area is a bit small, but you won't be disappointed. And the elevators are fast.

And one of these days, a two-bedroom in Lagoon may turn up and you can switch. It's easy to do on line.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hate to say this but I really like the Big Island over Oahu, especially with younger kids. The Hilton resort there is amazing and the Volcano National Park also amazing nothing like it anywhere I have been, also great beach down the road from the Hilton. If you get the newer Hilton TS that is what I would do and for me when I go to Hawaii I do not like to spend traveling island to island alot. But if you are not going back anytime soon it would really be cool to go to all three island (just drag couldn't fit what I believe is the best island of all Maui). But than that is a good excuse to go back...

Hey Jack,
I had so many people tell me that the Oahu property would be more fun for the kids (14, 11) - We won't be back for many years... Gotta think about it. Have you been to the Oahu property as well?

jestme

Reaction score
Zac,
Hawaii has many different aspects. Big Island, Maui, Oahu, etc. All are different, and all have plusses and minusses. My view, when it comes to kids, is to keep their world similar to home, but more exciting than home. Your kids will love the excitement and all the things to do in Waikiki and Oahu. They will talk about it for years to come. So will you.
You say this will be the last trip for a while, but I doubt it. You, like the rest of us will be back. Many times. You will have other chances to visit the other islands once you get the fever.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
I have never been to the one on Ohau, we stayed at a Sheraton hotel. Our kids still talk about the Lava flow on the Big Island they were 14 and 12 at the time. We went to Ohau without kids and it seemed that it was like being in LA big city with a beach although the other side of the island is more what I envision as being Hawaii.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were able to extend - but not until this morning. It's an odd thing - you have to lightly move the mouse to the next day, not click. Anyway, we have 4 days. Thanks for the comments - yes - we may get the fever. Hubby doesn't want to do 3 islands, so considering we get all 7 of our nights - Oahu it is. If it doesn't work - we'll know Big Island was meant to be (easy to get 7 nights there).

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Zac
As East coasters traveling alone 1st Hawaii trip this year we decided to stay in one place after considering island hops even though a multi island trip was tempting. Our travel style repacking and airports and timetables would make DH a wreck which would not make the interisland trips pleasant. Also for me when I visit a new place I want to see it all and hate leaving if I missed something on my to do list.

You are very brave to explore 3 islands with kids.

DH and I spent a very busy week in Maui. For 2 wks I would visit the Big Island for the volcano/lava flow and Maui. Maui is gorgeous and very laid back. No big city congestion. BI is close to Maui not as far as Kauai.

Kauai was the original island I had in mind years back. They have more resorts than the other islands. I bought "Hawaii for Dummies" and after doing the checklists and rethinking travel styles I changed my mind and picked Maui.

The time change from east coast to Maui time did not impact me at all. We adapted right away even though it is 6 hrs difference.

We did the 11pm redeye back to SFO so we could arrive in the morning. I did not sleep well on the flight and was out of it all day. We spent 3 days in San Francisco to recover from jet lag before heading back to Boston.

You will have an incredible time. Hawaii is really as beautiful as one expects it to be.

Last edited:

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Zac:

Each island is very different from the others. I love them all. Honolulu is one of the 12 largest cities in the USA so there is lots of actions. A drive to the other side of the Island though the mountains is beautiful. If you want peace and quiet, plan trips to the other Islands.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Yes, my mind stopped its churning and we're settled on Oahu. Zac (that's my son - I'm Ellen) will prefer the fun and excitement, though he would also love to see the volcano. We decided against 3 islands- just Oahu and Kauai. The Big Island and Maui will have to wait. I don't think they're going anywhere. :rofl:

Thanks again for all the help. We have 5 nights booked so far - 2 to go. If all goes as planned, I'll be purchasing inner island air in 2 days.

HatTrick

Reaction score
The Big Island and Maui will have to wait. I don't think they're going anywhere. :rofl:

Actually, they're drifting northwest at a rate of 8 cm/year... better hurry! :D

sparkysparky

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never been to Kauai so I can't really give an opinion about that island but I agree that each island is different and offers different settings and activities. We purchased our timeshare (Bay Club) on the Big Island because as honeymooners on Maui we didn't know any better. Growing up, all I had heard about Oahu was that it was so city-like and crowded. BUT now having visited the Oahu (HHV), we LOVE this island the best. We have two kids - ages 10 and 8 - and find that there's so much Oahu has to offer. We like the fact that there are so many restaurants and shops. Plus, the North Shore is not that far away and it has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world!!

I should add though that I just love the Hawaiian Islands and would never turn down an offer to travel there - to any of the islands.

Reaction score
Airfare

E: I am heading to Hawaii in August. We booked airfare on NW for about $750 per person. Have you found any deals on other airlines so far?

Aptman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hawaii Airfares

We have reservations the first week of April at HHV, and the lowest we've been able to find (from Los Angeles!) is about $700 RT. That seems exhorbitant. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Normally I wouldn't care as much, but we're bringing our two boys, so nearly $3k for 4 to Hawaii seems like too much.

sparkysparky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't have much advice. We bought our tickets back in late June for April 2009. We got a great deal at around $470 each.

At this point, I don't know if ticket prices will come down but there may hope since the cost of fueling seems to be falling.

jestme

Reaction score
I would sit and wait. Right now, I can get $750 from Toronto for April, so LAX should be a lot cheaper. I waited until 91 days out, and got C$714 to HNL from Toronto in Jan. The day before, it was $1025. It seems that if you want to guarantee a seat 6 months in advance, you pay more. If are willing to wait a bit and keep checking the online airline availability tools, you will do much better.