• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Perks

Danette

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Question regarding Marriott:
When staying at Marriott hotels do owners routinely get upgraded rooms? I am curious since a friend of mine owns a Westin and is upgraded to amazing rooms whenever she stays in Starwood hotels. Of course she spent a bazillion dollars for an ocean front Hawaii property. I am just wondering if us Marriott owners get similiar perks?

TIA,

Danette:)

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
No perks for Marriott owners when staying at Marriott hotels.

The primary perk is the opportunity to rent at Marriott timeshares at a discount (based on capacity controlled availability) by using the owner "MOD" code when making a reservation.

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
No perks for Marriott owners when staying at Marriott hotels.

The primary perk is the opportunity to rent at Marriott timeshares at a discount (based on capacity controlled availability) by using the owner "MOD" code when making a reservation.

That's what I was going to say!

Janna

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, it doesn't hurt to ask... We always bring up our Silver Elite Marriott status (sometimes I even say it's our anniversary! SShhh) and we've been upgraded several times! My friend always asks for upgrades too and seems to get them. I've stayed with her a couple of times and we've gotten upgraded to concierge level. This past weekend my husband and I used my "Free night stay", from the Marriott Visa card and got a beautiful end unit with a balcony (there were very limited balconies) over looking Long Beach Harbor w/view of Queen Mary. Very nice...
It never hurts to ask!

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have multiple examples where we were upgraded and others were not. We could only speculate it was due to being an owner. I consider this a big perk even if it is not a formal rule.

This happened to us in the Newport Beach Marriott where we were placed in the main tower, 9th(top) floor, ocean view, while every one else in the convention (about 100 families) was placed in the much farther away tower without an ocean view.

In Maui Ocean Club, one of the owners was telling me she had to stay in a Marriott hotel one night (in another island) before coming to Maui. The other couples in line were told their room was not ready, but she was told her room was ready and it was upgraded as well. She suspected it was due to being an owner.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
In Maui Ocean Club, one of the owners was telling me she had to stay in a Marriott hotel one night (in another island) before coming to Maui. The other couples in line were told their room was not ready, but she was told her room was ready and it was upgraded as well. She suspected it was due to being an owner.

How do they know you are a MVCI owner? Is it somehow in your MR records? Do you have to tell them at check-in? Just wondering.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have multiple examples where we were upgraded and others were not. We could only speculate it was due to being an owner. I consider this a big perk even if it is not a formal rule.

This happened to us in the Newport Beach Marriott where we were placed in the main tower, 9th(top) floor, ocean view, while every one else in the convention (about 100 families) was placed in the much farther away tower without an ocean view.

heidi each time you were upgraded, did you offer the front desk rep the fact you were an owner? or did they automatically look this info up?

Danette

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How much do they know?

How do they know you are a MVCI owner? Is it somehow in your MR records? Do you have to tell them at check-in? Just wondering.

When we checked into a Marriott this week the desk clerk knew how many points we had for Marriott Rewards, but did not indicate there was anything about being a MVCI owner. If she had known the points were from one year of trading our TS for points I am sure she would not have been nearly as impressed! :p

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Only $10 off selected weekend stays, 10% off stays at certain Fairfield hotels and 10% off on weekend stays at Courtyard hotels.

Some stock ownership in the hospitality industry does generate perks. For example, own at least 100 shares of Carnival stock and get up to $250 of onboard credit on cruises on any of the Carnival lines, including Carnival, Holland America, Princess and others. The amount of credit depends on the length of the cruise.

Last edited:

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott is notoriously stingy with their free upgrades. When I was traveling for my job I reached gold status. THeir policy states that Gold Members will be upgraded whenever possible. I can tell you that I could count on the fingers of one hand the # of upgrades I received in over 200 stays during about a three year period. My husband was platinum and they are automatically supposed to get upgrades without even having to ask. Never happened. The front desk people at the Marriott's who do the room assignments could care less about their premium customers.

hot2trot

Reaction score
The perk you get for being an MVCI owner is automatically being a Silver member. You don't have to qualify for it. If you go to the Marriott Reward website it will show you what the benefits are for Silver status. As an owner you are eligible for a 25% discount when renting a timeshare.

andypoole

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just bought a week at Doral as a points machine and part of the deal was permanent MR Gold status and we were assured that room upgrade was guaranteed. Perhaps we need to check that out!

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Read the terms and conditioins for the elite program on the Marriott Rewards web site. It clearly states that room upgrades for gold are "Based on availabilty" In other words you are supposed to get a room upgrade if they have one available. If all of the upgraded rooms are reserved by customers willing to pay the extra $ for the upgraded room believe me they are not going to give one to you for no extra $. They will book you in a standard room and if there is a upgraded room available when you check in you are supposed to get it. That assumes that the desk clerk is not too lazy to even check to see if there is one available. You can certainly ask but the refrain I constantly heard when I was gold was "sorry, nothing available".

Danette

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Automatic Silver?

The perk you get for being an MVCI owner is automatically being a Silver member. You don't have to qualify for it. If you go to the Marriott Reward website it will show you what the benefits are for Silver status. As an owner you are eligible for a 25% discount when renting a timeshare.

The only thing I see is: "Level: Marriott Rewards" on the front page. Should I be looking somewhere else?

Thanks for you help,

Danette :)

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would say 8 out 10 times when I mention we own numerous marriott timeshares when we go to marriott hotels, they have upgraded us.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There is no longer a silver upgrade for TS owners. I think at one time they used to offer an Elite status upgrade for TS purchases, but discontinued doing so. However from a prior post it appears they may have started again. Likely a sign of the TS sales troubles.

Danette

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh well

There is no longer a silver upgrade for TS owners. I think at one time they used to offer an Elite status upgrade for TS purchases, but discontinued doing so. However from a prior post it appears they may have started again. Likely a sign of the TS sales troubles.

Bummer :( No mention of any upgrade in my contract - only the repeated reminder that MVCI can take any the "incidental benefit" at any time.

Thanks for all of the responses - I really appreciate all of your experience!

Danette :)

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You can get Silver status merely by applying for and obtaining one of the Marriott Visa credit cards. The Premier card costs $65 per year, but that cost is more than offset by the value of the annual free night certificate that you can use for stays at any category 1-5 Marriott property. You'll also get 25,000 Marriott Rewards points when you get the card.