• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question about exchanging SDO with II??/MERGED

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I want to exchange (thru II) my 2010 floating week at SDO asap. Will Starwood assign me a 2010 week now to do this? If not, when is the soonest they will do this? Thanks.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I want to exchange (thru II) my 2010 floating week at SDO asap. Will Starwood assign me a 2010 week now to do this? If not, when is the soonest they will do this? Thanks.

I believe you may deposit a week up to 12 months prior to use date/season. For example, I had to wait until summer season to deposit my summer 2009 week this year.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Just like you can't make a reservation until 12 mos. out - you can't make a deposit until 12 mos. out - so the first day you can deposit your 2010 week is Jan. 1, 2009.

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Just like you can't make a reservation until 12 mos. out - you can't make a deposit until 12 mos. out - so the first day you can deposit your 2010 week is Jan. 1, 2009.

So I guess because it is a Starwood resort you have less time to exchange it with II. Other resorts give you a 3 year window and Starwood only 2 years??
For example, my 2010 Week 27 Royal Mayan is available now to exchange. This doesn't seem quite fair.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Every TS company has a rule about how far out you can reserve and exchange. For instance, I already have my Branson week deposited for the next 3 years. It is just one of the rules you accept when you buy with a particular company.

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ques. about the Starwood preference period?

What exactly is this? Still trying to learn :) Thanks.

Carolyn

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Good question. When Starwood deposits at II, other Starwood owners get a 3 day preference period to exchange for them before it's opened up to all II members.

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score

Carolyn
Are you asking about the owner's preference period at their resorts? That is the period where owners can reserve a week 12 months in advance, while other SVN members can only reserve a week starting at the 8-month mark.

VacationPro

TUG Member
Reaction score

Carolyn

I think what you are asking is regards to the Starwood preference period within Interval International (II). For most Starwood deposits into II, only other Starwood units (with the requisite "trading power") are allowed to see the available units for a period of time, usually 3 days. This ensures that other Starwood owners get the first chance at getting the deposited units. :banana:

During the flexchange, the preference period can be reduced significantly.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For more info. see the Starwood and II article in the Owner Resources sticky.

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carolyn-

I think it's the same. You make your reservation exactly one year in advance and deposit it immediately. You have the year between the date the reservation was made and the actual reservation plus two years after the reserved date - three years total.

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Carolyn-

I think it's the same. You make your reservation exactly one year in advance and deposit it immediately. You have the year between the date the reservation was made and the actual reservation plus two years after the reserved date - three years total.

With my other non-Starwod resorts, they appear in my II account 2 years prior to check-in and are good for 1 year after check-in...so 3 years also to exchange them.

Carolyn

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Are you asking about the owner's preference period at their resorts? That is the period where owners can reserve a week 12 months in advance, while other SVN members can only reserve a week starting at the 8-month mark.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I am talking about resorts that are deposited into II. So it sounds as if we Starwood owners see these 3 days before non-Starwood owners. So my next question is this....if I put in a request with II using a Starwood deposit and also requesting a Starwood resort to exchange into, then I am assuming I will have priority also?

Carolyn

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I am talking about resorts that are deposited into II. So it sounds as if we Starwood owners see these 3 days before non-Starwood owners. So my next question is this....if I put in a request with II using a Starwood deposit and also requesting a Starwood resort to exchange into, then I am assuming I will have priority also?

Carolyn

No - the 3 day priority is only online.

See this Article in the Owner Resources sticky for all the details - Starwood & II

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
No - the 3 day priority is only online.

See this Article in the Owner Resources sticky for all the details - Starwood & II

Now you have me confused. The sticky says:
Starwood 72 hour Exclusive: For the first three days of a Starwood owners deposit, its availability is masked from the rest of the Interval International membership. Only a Starwood owner has visibility to another owners deposit. It may be selected without contention from the rest of the timeshare world. If unclaimed within 72 hours, it is made available. to the I.I. general membership. If a Pending Request is active for one of these deposits, it will be filled without it ever seeing daylight. The deposited week must otherwise be of "comparable value" for this to occur. One cannot expect a Silver Season studio to pull a 2 bedroom Platinum Season.

So if I have a pending request and have deposited a Starwood unit with "comparable value", why wouldn't I get it; why would it ever show up online?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Now you have me confused. The sticky says:
Starwood 72 hour Exclusive: For the first three days of a Starwood owners deposit, its availability is masked from the rest of the Interval International membership. Only a Starwood owner has visibility to another owners deposit. It may be selected without contention from the rest of the timeshare world. If unclaimed within 72 hours, it is made available. to the I.I. general membership. If a Pending Request is active for one of these deposits, it will be filled without it ever seeing daylight. The deposited week must otherwise be of "comparable value" for this to occur. One cannot expect a Silver Season studio to pull a 2 bedroom Platinum Season.

So if I have a pending request and have deposited a Starwood unit with "comparable value", why wouldn't I get it; why would it ever show up online?

Only weeks that aren't claimed by pending requests show up online - not just pending requests from Starwood owners, but pending requests from any II member.