• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trial Lawyers Pick Worst Insurance Companies

Reaction score
State Farm gets a bad rap for delaying Katrina claims? IIRC, there was rampant abuse when it came to Katrina claims.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe these are the insurance companies the trial lawyers can't manipulate.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have State Farm and I think the house would have to burn to the ground before we got any claims back. OTOH, I just assumed that ALL insurance companies use delaying and denial tactics to avoid paying up.

What I need is a list of the BEST companies. I hear Chubb is fantastic, but it costs many times what our crummy State Farm insurance costs. Anyone happy with their home-owners' insurance?

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
When my house was hit by a tornado on Friday December 1 2006, we had an estimate on Saturday, an approval from State Farm on Sunday, and a crew working on the roof Monday morning at 8AM as I left for work. There was a new roof and chimney on the house by noon Wednesday.

As in everything, YMMV.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Many, many years ago.....way back when I was in high school, I had State Farm. During a big snow storm I was involved in a multiple car pile up. One of the cars I hit had already come to a stop after it had gone off the road and hit a stop sign, doing damage to the front end of his car.

State Farm agreed to pay for the damage I had done when I slid on the ice into the side of his car but refused to pay for the damage already done when he hit the stop sign prior to my hitting his car. He sued for more money.

My father had worked for the old Life and Casualty Insurance Co (now part of American General) for the better part of his life and pretty much expected that, on such a small claim, State Farm would just roll over and pay the claim. They didn't. They let it go all the way to court and, in the end, there was a law on the books that stated just sliding on ice was not cause for liability. It was shown that I had done nothing to cause the accident and therefore there was no liability. They hired an attorny who apparently had told them a good story and suspected that State Farm would pay up rather than go to court. He was wrong. The judgement not only was for the defence but, the judgement was for $0. Not only did they not win but they lost the money State Farm had agreed to pay them in the first place.

To this day I've respected State Farm for not allowing lawyers to black male them into paying unjust claims by threatening to cost them even more in attorny fee's and court costs.

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be sure and read the last line: "It should come as no surprise that ATLA is an association representing lawyers on the plaintiffs side of the legal profession." It is all perspective

Just because someone reports that a carrier is bad or good, does not make it so. Best advise: Ask you friends. They will usually give an unbiased decision based on their experiences.

As an insurance side note: Have you listened to the Allstate commercials? I was half watching one and had to wait to see it again because I only got the tag lines, and was sure I must have misheard what they said. I didn't, but if you only listen to the last 2 sentences it is not what they are trying to convey. Someone in Allstate marketing should listen to the ad slowly for their tag line, which is: "Just because you have insurance doesn't mean you are protected. That's Allstate's stand."

Charlie D.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had USAA for years but before that it was State Farm. I tapped a car’s bumper in a Wal Mart parking lot. No damage or anything but the lady’s mother in the back seat claimed her back was hurting real bad. Four police cars and an ambulance showed up. Years later I was sued and the local State Farm agent said they considered it a nuisance suit and had offered the lady $5,000 and it would go down as an accident on my record. Luckily, her attorney counseled her to refuse. It went to trial and the attorney firm that State Farm had retained was top notch. My attorney took her attorney to school during those two days. It came out during trial that she had chronic back problems and was just waiting for someone to tap her. Furthermore, she had gone back to work cleaning motel rooms shortly after the accident. I will never forget his closing line: “Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I submit to you that this lady will be jostled harder in the elevator going home today than she was in that accident.” It took the jury 15 minutes to find me not guilty of negligence and thus it did not even get to a settlement phase. My attorney told me State Farm had offered her $12,000 as a last offer. When she refused State Farm had instructed the firm that they were not authorized to settle for one cent and to take it to trial. It scared the daylights out of me and within a couple of weeks I had a one million dollar umbrella police which I still have today.

Charlie D.

M. Henley

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Farm Bureau?

If your state has a Farm Bureau Insurance Company get a quote from your local, or nearest, office.

We have State Farm and I think the house would have to burn to the ground before we got any claims back. OTOH, I just assumed that ALL insurance companies use delaying and denial tactics to avoid paying up.

What I need is a list of the BEST companies. I hear Chubb is fantastic, but it costs many times what our crummy State Farm insurance costs. Anyone happy with their home-owners' insurance?

The Conch Man

Reaction score
I just went with "Amica" for our car, coverage included everything for $825 for one year. They are listed as #2 on the "Good Faith List" for insurance. I ask them bout our home but they said they aren't taking any "new" home owners cause they have enough for Florida coverage. I called their 800 # & they are located in Orlando but I'm guessing cause we live in Southwest FL.

They write their policies for one year & they were a little lower than my coverage with AIG for six month policies which she said that these insurance companies do this cause they know they will raise your coverage for the next six months when renewal is due, makes since to me.

Hope this information helps!