• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car rental in Orlando

clarice

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a few questions about renting a car while we're in Orlando:

We'll be flying into Orlando and will be staying at the Embassy Vacation
Resort Grand Beach for 10 days, and use the shuttle bus to and from
Disney World most of the time. We'll visit other areas as well (like
Kennedy Space Center). We'll also need to buy groceries on the first
day. We don't really need to rent a car for the entire stay, so we won't
rent it at the airport.

Where could we rent a car close by where we're staying? How can we get
to the car rental company? I know some of the Disney hotels have car
rentals on site. Do we need to take the Disney shuttle to the hotel and
rent a car from there? And how to return the car?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Clarice

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd rent a car for the duration. Those scheduled park shuttles are very rarely convenient.

If you insist, it's probably easiest to rent a car from National or Alamo at the airport, use it to stock up on arrival day, and return it to one of the two locations on Disney property: the Car Care Center, or the Swan/Dolphin. You can pick up from those two locations later, if need be.

dwsupt

TUG Member
Reaction score
car rental.

As their ads say...Call Enterprise, they'll pick you up.

scooooter

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we go we always rent a car because it's not all that expensive to do so.

There are 3 of us going in a couple of weeks and we got a mid size car for $125 for 7 days with everything included but the extra drivers. You can't beat that.

Our resort (OLCC) charges like $20 per person each way for their shuttle and then we're stuck using the shuttles inside the resort. No thank you! I'm on vacation - I don't want to worry having to run to the grocery store to get milk or lunch meat, or wanting to leave the pool, and i've got to sit at a bus stop for 15 minutes in 80 degree weather. Yuk!

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I was able to get a compact through Alamo (using the Entertainment discount with a coupon for $20 off a weekly rental) and got it for $79.62 (that includes all taxes and fees). That is the cheapest I've ever rented a car out of Orlando International Airport. :D It's for the 1st week of October.

Update - you're not gonna believe this rate - I just booked my sister a minivan for the same week with a $25.00 off the week Entertainment book coupon and I got it for $103.00 - yippee.

Last edited:

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was able to get a compact through Alamo (using the Entertainment discount with a coupon for $20 off a weekly rental) and got it for $79.62 (that includes all taxes and fees). That is the cheapest I've ever rented a car out of Orlando International Airport. :D It's for the 1st week of October.

Update - you're not gonna believe this rate - I just booked my sister a minivan for the same week with a $25.00 off the week Entertainment book coupon and I got it for $103.00 - yippee.

Wow! You are my hero! :D

I have never seen rates like that. Makes me ALMOST want to rent a car for our Sept trip, but I am just too spoiled from the Magical Express.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I have gotten a mid-sized for $79 for the week, including taxes, with the Costco discount, but I have never seen a minivan for the price you got! I would love to get a minivan for this upcoming trip, September 14th-29th. I did get a full-sized for $196 from Alamo, including taxes, for the full 15 days. That isn't bad, but a minivan would be better.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yuk!

I vowed to never again rent from Alamo in Orlando, as the lines were soooo long and moved soooo slow! Even my 14 YO DD had a terrible back ache by the time we got up to the counter.
This was an early summer stay.

Good Luck.

Terry

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I vowed to never again rent from Alamo in Orlando, as the lines were soooo long and moved soooo slow!

Must be Orlando. I rented from Budget during the off-season (April 25 this year, well after spring break). It took about 45 minutes to wind my way through the line. When we first got to the rental car building, I thought someone had made a mistake and left us off at the line for Space Mountain :eek:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Alamo has a kiosk at Orlando; you just slide your license, your credit card, and you are good to go. It takes about 2 minutes. This is a new addition in the last 2 years or so.

We fly into Tampa much of the time, and they also have a kiosk. Something else we do, Rick goes to rent the car while I get luggage. We are usually done at the same time. At Tampa, he picks me up. At Orlando, I just walk over to the car rental place and climb into the car with our one suitcase. We travel light, which makes everything easy.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have gotten a mid-sized for $79 for the week, including taxes, with the Costco discount, but I have never seen a minivan for the price you got! I would love to get a minivan for this upcoming trip, September 14th-29th. I did get a full-sized for $196 from Alamo, including taxes, for the full 15 days. That isn't bad, but a minivan would be better.

Cindy I'm sending you a private message with the Alamo coupon code and I.D. Number. Check the Alamo site with that info and see if you can get a mini van cheap - if so, I'll mail you an extra coupon from my Entertainment book. :D

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I vowed to never again rent from Alamo in Orlando, as the lines were soooo long and moved soooo slow! Even my 14 YO DD had a terrible back ache by the time we got up to the counter.
This was an early summer stay.

Good Luck.

Terry

If you have booked the rental online through Alamo.com then use the kiosk. Takes about 5 minutes, just scan the barcode on your printed e-mail confirmation and go through the screens. There is never a line for the kiosk.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Cindy I'm sending you a private message with the Alamo coupon code and I.D. Number. Check the Alamo site with that info and see if you can get a mini van cheap - if so, I'll mail you an extra coupon from my Entertainment book. :D

If you book online with the coupon codes, you shouldn't need the actual printed coupon. We have never been asked to provide it at the kiosk or when exiting the rental lot.

Another tip is to keep checking the price online. We originally booked a mid size for 8 days, rebooked cancelled several times and the rate is down about $100. We also noticed that when you set the pick up or drop off times to a half hour the rate was much higher.

Last edited:

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you book online with the coupon codes, you shouldn't need the actual printed coupon. We have never been asked to provide it at the kiosk or when exiting the rental lot.

Another tip is to keep checking the price online. We originally booked a mid size for 8 days, rebooked cancelled several times and the rate is down about $100. We also noticed that when you set the pick up or drop off times to a half hour the rate was much higher.

We've always been asked for the paper Entertainment coupon. It would be just my luck if I didn't have it with me, they'd ask for it. But that's my luck usually.

Thanks for the tip on the half hour drop and pick-up times. I never thought of that maybe making a difference.