• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

are any TUGGERS attending this SVO call?

rocky

TUG Member
Reaction score
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860321

A Big Announcement Coming From SPG on September 2nd

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Tuesday morning, September 2nd, Starwood Preferred Guest is going to launch a major new initiative. Because we recognize that Flyertalkers constitute a unique subset of members in the program, we are inviting you to attend a webinar to walk you through this new initiative and answer as many questions as time allows. There will be 2 separate webinars, one call at 8AM US Eastern time that should be convenient for some of our members outside of the U. S. and another at 12 Noon US Eastern time.

We think that you will be as excited about the new initiative as we are. That being said, the information on connecting to the webinar follows.

For the 8AM conference call:

Participant Conference Details

Conference Title:
Starwood Hotel

Moderator Name:
Janet Deylius

Company Name:
FFS

This conference is scheduled for (times are Eastern Time):

8:00 AM Tuesday, September 2, 2008 for a duration of 30 minutes (7:00 AM Central, 6:00 AM Mountain, 5:00 AM Pacific)

Participant Access - Dial in 5-10 minutes prior to the start time using the number / passcode below...

Toll free:
1-800-214-0745

Toll:
1-719-457-0700

Participant Passcode:

To Join the live Web conference, click here:

1. https://www.livemeeting.com/cc/vcc/j...tend&pw=702286

Or, use the following link: http://www406b.rtcppe.com/cc/premiere_tp

2. On the "Enter Meeting" page that appears, supply this information:

Your Name:
Enter Your Name

Meeting ID:
D2426G

Meeting Key:

3. Access audio by dialing into the teleconference described above.

Please test your browser for compatibility at the following URL Prior to the event date: http://www.livemeeting.com/cc/vcsale...tend&pw=XHGS8K

To maximize your connection, please be sure to do the following prior to connecting to the live Web Conference:

· Clear your temporary internet files/cache
· Disable your pop-up blockers, spyware, or anti-virus software during the session
· Close all other programs

For additional VisionCast Web Technical Support, please call 1-888-334-0282 or 1-719-457-2792.

For the 12 Noon conference call:

Participant Conference Details

Conference Title:
Starwood Hotel

Moderator Name:
Janet Deylius

Company Name:
FFS

This conference is scheduled for (times are Eastern Time):

12:00 PM Tuesday, September 2, 2008 for a duration of 30 minutes (11:00 AM Central, 10:00 AM Mountain, 9:00 AM Pacific)

Participant Access - Dial in 5-10 minutes prior to the start time using the number / passcode below...

Toll free:
1-800-214-0694

Toll:
1-719-955-1425

Participant Passcode:

To Join the live Web conference, click here:

1. https://www.livemeeting.com/cc/vcc/j...tend&pw=734208

Or, use the following link: http://www406b.rtcppe.com/cc/premiere_tp

2. On the "Enter Meeting" page that appears, supply this information:

Your Name:
Enter Your Name

Meeting ID:
TPR7K2

Meeting Key:

3. Access audio by dialing into the teleconference described above.

Please test your browser for compatibility at the following URL Prior to the event date: http://www.livemeeting.com/cc/vcsale...tend&pw=XHGS8K

To maximize your connection, please be sure to do the following prior to connecting to the live Web Conference:

· Clear your temporary internet files/cache
· Disable your pop-up blockers, spyware, or anti-virus software during the session
· Close all other programs

For additional VisionCast Web Technical Support, please call 1-888-334-0282 or 1-719-457-2792.

Regrettably, this is all I can tell you about this at this point in time; however, I will be available on Flyertalk after the call to field any additional questions you may have.

Best regards,

William

CeeWoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rocky-you're killing me. I'm new to SVN (even though I've owned for about 17 years) and now I also have to investigate "flyertalk" LOL

Too much to learn in too short a time ;)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
It will likely be summarized on FT very quickly - so won't tune in, but...

My guess is that they are going to offer a level over Platinum and spin that as an enhancement.

And maybe fix SPG.com so it stops locking up my damn computer (this is the only web-based program that does this...)

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
My guess is that they are going to offer a level over Platinum and spin that as an enhancement.

Hmm, interesting. If you follow Flyertalk at all, there are a lot of grumblings about gold memberships being given out like candy. Adding another layer above platinum (titanium? diamond?) might alleviate those concerns even as it pushes us lowly golds down further.

I'm hoping that it's not another devaluation!!

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
I promise you though that it is news that will be more beneficial to Starwood in the long run then the current system. That's the way that they are and given the current economy, they aint giving anything away for free anymore.

And how is it that FT has a Starwood rep but here they refuse to post or have a voice? Unless of course they call me to ask me to change posts. :eek:

Katherine

rocky

TUG Member
Reaction score
SDKAth, did someone at SVO contact you to modify a posting you made on TUG?

That happened to me back when I bought.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
And how is it that FT has a Starwood rep but here they refuse to post or have a voice? Unless of course they call me to ask me to change posts. :eek:

Katherine

All right. You and Rocky are going to have to 'fess up. Enquiring minds want to know.

rocky

TUG Member
Reaction score
SVO was very unhappy I disclosed that I negotiated a big amount of starpoints for financing a portion of the purchase with them. (I had the money, but could sense an opportunity to get more points, so I negotiated the deal and then paid off the loan.)

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
SDKAth, did someone at SVO contact you to modify a posting you made on TUG?

That happened to me back when I bought.

Yes, twice. I didn't change anything the second time. I decided I was not going to be the vessel of communication for the company. :crash:

Katherine

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, twice. I didn't change anything the second time. I decided I was not going to be the vessel of communication for the company. :crash:

Katherine

Bummer. SVO has never contacted me to pull or change anything. I feel so left out.

The wise souls on flyertalk say that the new SPG program will include an announcement that we can now use SPG points to book flights directly through SPG via www.spgflights.com. That feature is currently up and running, so score one for flyertalk.

Perhaps this will be the bone Starwood throws at us in exchange for the other "changes" it will be imposing. . .

We'll see soon.

-nodge

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I already have 2 RT award tix for Hawaii for next summer for 80K Starpoints that I transferred to an airline. The Starwood website offered me the exact same flights for 170K SP's! :hysterical:

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
I already have 2 RT award tix for Hawaii for next summer for 80K Starpoints that I transferred to an airline. The Starwood website offered me the exact same flights for 170K SP's! :hysterical:

Ah. SPG may have found a clever way to devalue StarPoints by over 50% all while touting it as an enhancement if today's news brings an announcement that we'll be kissing SPG point transfers to airlines good-bye and forced to use this new, devalued, direct route to SPG starpoint use for air travel.

Given my luck with Starwood, I'm betting SPG Platinum room upgrades are toast.

The plot thickens.

-nodge

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I sure hope not! The FAQ seems to state that one can still transfer SP's to airlines:

In the past, I've transferred Starpoints to an airline to receive miles for flights. How is this redemption option different?

With this option you redeem Starpoints directly for your airline ticket. Tickets are available for more airlines than those currently listed as Starwood Preferred Guest airline transfer partners.

You still have the option to transfer Starpoints to an airline and receive miles with Starwood Preferred Guest transfer partners; however, SPG Flights allows you to skip the transfer step, expands your flight options to include more airlines, and eliminates blackout dates and other restrictions found with airline mile redemption programs.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yikes! This seems similar to Delta's ability to reduce a ticket cost by redeeming miles. I doubt I will ever use this. Well, I just checked - 40,000 points from LAX-Nassau on AA. On AA, it's only 35,000 (currently), so transferring to AA and then redeeming would save a bunch. Hmm.... are there any good deals buying from Starwood?

How many Starpoints?

Ticket Price* Starpoints
up to $150 10,000

$150-$215 15,000

$215-$280 20,000

$280-$345 25,000

$345-$410 30,000

$410-$475 35,000

$475-$540 40,000

$540-$605 45,000

$605-$670 50,000

$670-$735 55,000

$735-$800 60,000

$800-$865 65,000

$865-$930 70,000

$930-$995 75,000

$995-$1060 80,000

Higher prices (examples)

$2,880-$3,140 235,000

$4,960-$5,220 395,000

$9,900-$10,160 775,000

Last edited:

abdibile

TUG Member
Reaction score
If both options remained, I would not consider it being bad.

If there is no availability for FF seats, you can go the more expensive SPG route.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't see any where on the spg flights page, where you would get your transfer bonus for your starpoints.

Another thing I noticed, I can book at direct flight from Philadelphia to St John in June, but with the spg site all of the flight options are more starpoints, no bonus points , and none of the flights are direct flights.

abdibile

TUG Member
Reaction score
The call is regarding the SPGflights.

It will not replace anything, exchange to airline miles and nights&flights will stay as they are.

It is just another option to use points instead of booking cash tickets.

The tickets are like purchased, so every seat that is available for cash is also available using SPG points.

You get miles on them, can upgrade, can cancel subject to a small fee plus airline fees.

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
nodge: Do we lose the bonus (20K becomes 25K) when using this new site? It read all the FAQs and nothing mentioned there.

dss

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a totally different "currency" so there is no bonus to speak of. The bonus only applies to airline transfers. In this instance, you are "spending" SPG points towards flights that Starwood then purchases for you, much like some of the "choices" credit card programs out there. It's good to see them making an effort but this strikes me as something of very limited use considering the poor exchange rate.

I was really hoping they would add in at least one bonus SPG Plat perk such as "1x annual advanced confirmed suite upgrade", etc...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I did a test for a flight from SFO to STT for our mid-June week at WSJ in 2009. It was 65K SPs/pp and comes out to a cost of about $0.015 per SP based on the approximate ticket cost.

I did another flight from SFO-OGG and it was 95K SPs/pp - since we already had tickets from before the time Aloha stopped flying (at $650pp)- I didn't check against the standard cost, but it was ~$1300pp last I checked.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Below is an e-mail I just got from SPG. It is probably not a good deal if you can redeem frequent flyer points for a super-saver award seat, but it may be helpful when award seats are not available and you have to purchase a ticket at a higher fare, such as a non-restricted coach ticket or the like.

Henry

------------------------------------------------------------------------

We want our Platinum Preferred Guest® members like you to be among the first to know about SPG® Flights, a new and truly groundbreaking redemption opportunity now available.

Starting today, you can redeem Starpoints® for airline tickets on hundreds of airlines worldwide — with no blackout dates — even during peak periods such as holidays or for last-minute flights. If there's a seat available for purchase with cash, you can use your Starpoints. It's exactly how our signature Free Night Awards took off.

Starwood Preferred Guest is the first and only hotel loyalty program that allows members to redeem award points for air travel on available flights without the restrictions or fees typically required by frequent-flyer programs.

Now you have the ultimate freedom and flexibility to travel the world using Award Nights and Award Flights without blackout dates. I think you'll agree that SPG Flights sets the new standard in airline redemption. See for yourself. Then fly without boundaries.

Sincerely,

Chris_Holdren_SIG.jpg

Chris Holdren
Vice President, Starwood Preferred Guest

P.S. Our popular airline transfer awards are still an option, which allow members to redeem Starpoints for frequent-flyer miles, most on a 1:1 basis.