• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gustave is coming. Will New Orleans Survive?

mamiecarter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
New Orleans is a great vacation spot so I am watching this hurricane . closely. NO cannot go through another disaster like Katrina and bounce back. Any one have any first hand knowledge of how the levies are now or what is happening?

Hophop4

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV/Silverleaf Owners-Holiday Hills, Branson; Seaside, Galveston;
Landmark Holiday Beach Resort, PCB, FL
We have been watching the weather closely since we are in Houston. They said the NO levies were not to be completed until 2010 I think. They started evacuations noon today. It does look like it's going to hit Louisiana instead of us. We are southwest of Houston so that's a little better for us. If it goes towards Galveston and they have to evacuate, we are a block from the highway evacuation route from Galveston. I remember how it was when Rita came through.

mamiecarter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Manditory evacuation of NO ordered

Gustav Could hit NO as a category 5 hurricane. Chief of Police quoted as saying "If you don't get out now you are own your own."

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Gustav Could hit NO as a category 5 hurricane. Chief of Police quoted as saying "If you don't get out now you are own your own."

And Katrina was only a Category 3!

Carolyn

Hophop4

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV/Silverleaf Owners-Holiday Hills, Branson; Seaside, Galveston;
Landmark Holiday Beach Resort, PCB, FL
And Katrina was only a Category 3!

Carolyn

That's true but it wasn't the winds from Katrina that did a job on NO it was because the levies broke and all the flooding from it.

Looks like we are out of the woods here in SW Houston.

Texasbelle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now we will see the wisedom of rebuilding in low areas. Texas areas that are low lying are not permitted to rebuild when flooded by hurricanes or tropical storms. Still insurance keeps going higher. It would be good if a miracle occurred and the storm died before reaching land. I wouldn't wish another Katrina on anyone.

taffy19

Reaction score
How many people here are affected? We are watching the updates and hope for the best. Is anyone on vacation in the path of the hurricane? I know Hoc was but he should be home by now.

Be safe everyone! :hi:

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
How many people here are affected? We are watching the updates and hope for the best. Is anyone on vacation in the path of the hurricane? I know Hoc was but he should be home by now.

Be safe everyone! :hi:

My husband and daughter are driving from Pensacola to Houston. They had planned to drive on Monday but changed plans to today, Sunday. They also changed routes from I-10 to 1-20. Currently, they are coming up on Shreveport. DD says traffic hasn't been bad but the gas stations have all been crowded. DH is keeping the tank above 3/4 full just in case. DD was scheduled to fly out of Houston early Monday evening but to be on the safe side, rescheduled to fly out earlier in the afternoon.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My son is a freshman at Tulane. We just dropped him off last weekend and came home Monday. Tulane is closed since Sat noon and won't be open again until next Sun (that is if there is no damage). He came home last Friday and was a little bummed out. Let's all hope this is not going to be another Katrina.

mamiecarter

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is going to be a major disaster for the people of New Orleans

The people who live in New Orleans are now going through Hell. I fear we are going to see a rerun of Katrina. I am trying to think of what people like me could do to help. Anyone have any ideas?

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
The people who live in New Orleans are now going through Hell. I fear we are going to see a rerun of Katrina. I am trying to think of what people like me could do to help. Anyone have any ideas?

I am sure you could make a Red Cross donation, or another charity of your choice.

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score

As Rick said, the Red Cross will need monetary donations. I suggest you support established charities (like the Red Cross) and churches that already have the infrastructure in place and know how to most effectively help in emergencies. They can always use money and many also appreciate man-power. Many people mean well but are not well-organized and can do more damage than help.

I've helped to assemble hygiene kits, cleaning kits, school kits, and newborn kits that are then sent around the world to areas in need. If you are so inclined, you can join a group that goes down to the affected areas and contribute your labor to the clean-up.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
So far it looks like a lot of prayers have been answered, as far as Gustav goes. Landfall just happened and CNN has alot of people doing stand-ups; it doesn't look as bad as Katrina for New Orleans. But some towns in LA surely took a direct hit and time will tell how severely battered they are. Meanwhile Hanna looks dicey. And there are bad-looking set-ups well into the Atlantic. Check out the NOAA site:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/