• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lady & Son's Savannah - Paula Deens

london

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were in Hilton Head this past week, and drove over to Savannah one day for lunch at The Lady & Sons.

The line was not long, and people were getting right away. This was Wednesday and a slow vacation/tourism week.

The service and food were average in our opinion. We did not have the buffet.

My wife had the asparagus sandwich, that was okay.

I had the crab cake burger which was a little spicy. It was served with jelly roll fries, which were somethng new and different.

I also tried the crab stew, and that was excellent.

The noise level in the restaurant was high, and the music was on the loud side also.

There was a gift shop adjacent to the restaurant with all kinds of items with the Paula Deen label.

We would most likely not return, as once is enough for us.

It appears to be a tourist attraction, due to the Food Network's celebrity status.

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the report. I watch her show and have wondered about the restaurant. I went to the Emeril's restaraunt @ Universal Studious City Walk and cannot say that I was that impressed...expecially at the price I paid for the meal, but I enjoyed the experience all the same.

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
You ordered the wrong things. If you had ordered southern style comfort food, you would have been impressed. She is getting a little too big for her britches and the locals have started going back to Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House. shaggy

london

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House

You ordered the wrong things. If you had ordered southern style comfort food, you would have been impressed. She is getting a little too big for her britches and the locals have started going back to Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House. shaggy

We enjoyed Mrs. Wilkes very much, in August of 2006. The family style setting and well prepared food was a fun experience.

We also went many years ago, when Mrs. Wilkes was still alive.

dukebigtom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We enjoyed the buffet at Lady and Sons and found it just what we expected, Southern Comfort food. We have also enjoyed Mrs. Wilkes on several occaisions. I'd go back to either, but only with a healthy appetite for good ole down home southern food.

BigTom

Gramma5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another vote for Mrs. Wilkins....

We visited Savannah this past May and fell in love with the city. We spent several days and the weather was great. We even took our bikes and spent one day just riding around the city. We had lunch at Mrs. Wilkins Boarding house and also stopped by Paula Deanes restaurant. We definitely liked Mrs. Wilkins better. The amazing array of Southern cooked vegetables was wonderful! We'd go back in an instant.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Any restaurants that did impress you there? I'm headed out that way next month. I'll be in Hilton Head from Oct. 2-5, and then in Savannah from Oct. 5-6. On Oct. 2, I'll arrive at the Savannah Airport at 9:30 pm and head off to Hilton Head. But I'm not above stopping for some great BBQ in Savannah or along the way at a place that stays open till midnight or beyond.

So, how about it? Any REALLY great food out that way? Not just acceptable, but spectacular?

jules40

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any restaurants that did impress you there? I'm headed out that way next month. I'll be in Hilton Head from Oct. 2-5, and then in Savannah from Oct. 5-6. On Oct. 2, I'll arrive at the Savannah Airport at 9:30 pm and head off to Hilton Head. But I'm not above stopping for some great BBQ in Savannah or along the way at a place that stays open till midnight or beyond.

So, how about it? Any REALLY great food out that way? Not just acceptable, but spectacular?

I'm in Savannah now visiting my mom. She's lived here 30+ years and I grew up in Savannah. She suggests "Elizabeth's at 37th Street" for fine dining.

For BBQ, there's "Carey Hilliard's". (There are several locations).

Last night we ate at the "Crab Shack" which has, IMO, outstanding steamed seafood. It is located on highway 80 on the way to Tybee Island. The atmosphere is fun and very much in line with the Tybee Island life style. Their slogan is "where the elite eat in their bare feet". Its been around a long time and has gotten bigger and rather touristy, but I don't believe the quality of food has been sacrificed.

River Street has a lot of great restaurants, too; The Shrimp Factory, Boars Head,.....

Have fun
Julie

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Fine dining in HHI = Santa Fe Cafe

Hoc,
You have to try the Santa Fe Cafe in HHI. I married into a family of top chefs so I know a good meal when I experience one and the Santa Fe Cafe is as good as it gets. From the happy hour margaritas to the southwest grouper everything was just outstanding. Not overly pricey and the portions are good. They have a roof top dining area that was really nice as well.

Regards.
Joe

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We were in Savannah this summer and enjoyed a WONDERFUL dinner at Bistro Savannah.

A few years ago we ate at Lady & Sons but realized it was a mistake. I am not a fan of heavy fried food.

You might want to check the restaurant reviews at TripAdvisor.com.

Deb

mayson12

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have time to stray out of the historic area, try The New South Cafe. I was in Savannah in Dec. of last year and ate here on our last night in town. Too bad, because I would have been back in a flash. The best meal not only of our trip, but possibly of the year. Doesn't look like much from the outside, but my-oh-my that's some good eats!:clap:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Thanks...

Hoc,
You have to try the Santa Fe Cafe in HHI. I married into a family of top chefs so I know a good meal when I experience one and the Santa Fe Cafe is as good as it gets. From the happy hour margaritas to the southwest grouper everything was just outstanding. Not overly pricey and the portions are good. They have a roof top dining area that was really nice as well.

Regards.
Joe

THANKS...you just confirmed what I've been preaching for years with my Hilton Head Restaurant recommendations, and your words said it well. Santa Fe is our favorite restaurant, always the first night at HH, and usually twice.... 'course we stay 3 consecutive weeks, but it's great fun to visit all our favorites. See what I said in this link for HH restaurants---imho, it's worth printing , and won't steer you wrong (btw, DAVE's list is also in that thread, and I like his list also...his fave, Sunset Grille, is fantastic, and hard to beat!) At the bottom of my list, I mention the grouper at Santa Fe's.....it is truly divine, and widely known.

See post # 13 under this thread:
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69854&highlight=hilton+head+restaurants.

Enjoy. .....& Then go again. Marty (jme)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We visited Lady & Sons in May and had the dinner buffet. While expensive, we truely enjoyed it and would return in an instant.

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
We ate at L & S before she was on the Food Channel in her first location not the new place. It was a small place with different types of tables. Locals recommended it over Mrs Wilkes. Said Mrs Wilkes did not use fresh veggies and other ingredients anymore since "it" had become well known. It was about $15 for the buffet at Lady & Sons. I had no idea then who Paula Deen was. It was good but I would not rate it as spectacular.

jwq387

TUG Member
Reaction score
savannah restaurants

The Pink House is my favorite in Savannah. I also enjoyed Savannah Bistro. I found the food and service at the Pink House outstanding.

Sthack

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, if you had ordered southern style comfort food, you would have been impressed!! We went here a few years ago and loved the food/service. We ordered the buffet and to this day i'm STILL talking about the food there. Her son Jamie was there and he signed cookbooks for me that i purchased. We're looking forward to returning to Savannah just to visit the Lady & Sons!! So we were VERY happy with the Lady & Sons!!