• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ocean Pointe vs Grande Vista

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi! Thinking of exchanging Ocean Pointe for Grande Vista in Orlando through II. We love OP & are wondering if somebody can compare the 2 resorts for us.
Which do you prefer & why?

Smooth Air:cool:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Hi! Thinking of exchanging Ocean Pointe for Grande Vista in Orlando through II. We love OP & are wondering if somebody can compare the 2 resorts for us.

They are very different resorts. MPB is a beach resort, where MGV is attraction oriented and inland in Orlando. You can't really compare, it depends on what you are looking for. MGV is an excellent resort with great amenities. You can likely book MGV through the Florida Club for free at 6 months out. What time of year do you want to visit?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
They are very different resorts. MPB is a beach resort, where MGV is attraction oriented and inland in Orlando. You can't really compare, it depends on what you are looking for. MGV is an excellent resort with great amenities. You can likely book MGV through the Florida Club for free at 6 months out. What time of year do you want to visit?
Or you could deposit your Ocean Pointe in II and get an accommodation certificate - and use that to get a Grande Vista 2BR unit for $299.

Grande Vista's furnishings and grounds/pools/golf courses are beautiful - the units are comparable to Ocean Point..but as pointed out, it is an inland golf resort near all the theme parks.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
similar physically, different otherwise

Different types of resorts, obviously, because of the different destinations; however, both have units which are very nice and they both have similar amenities...in that sense they're equal.

Main difference to me is in trading---- Ocean Pointe historically would be a more difficult trade to obtain, especially in prime season. Anything in Orlando, including GV, can be obtained easily most any time of the year with any other timeshare week traded. GV (and Orlando in general) does not require a high-powered week to obtain on trade. (We've done both...OP & GV on trade.)

If you trade an OP week, you may receive a trade week plus an A/C. Don't waste your "good trade week" on GV....you can get that with the A/C......thereby saving the trade week for something better and more difficult. jme

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not believe that any 2009 weeks have been offered AC's at Ocean Pointe.

You may consider locking off your OP unit and trying to get a 2BR exchange for your 1BR deposit. If you only get a 1BR trade, most likely you will be able to upgrade it during Flexchange to a 2BR for a $99 fee.

As stated above, the resorts are apples and oranges when trying to compare them. I can only guess that MGV is a more full service resort than OP. IMO

Terry

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ocean Pointe:
great ocean front location
nice pools
very quiet setting
not much to do within walking distance, but tons to do with a five minute drive
traditional marketplace
most units have great views of either the ocean or intercoastal waterway

Grande Vista:
15 minutes from Disney, two minutes to Sea World, ten minutes to Universal
great pools
bar and grill at one pool
on site golf school and executive course
full service (and pretty good) restaurant
units have all different views (golf, pool, lakes) and are all different ages and levels of quality
great kids activities including paddle boats, kids zone, tennis, etc.

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, do I call II & ask them for an A/C & tell them that I want to "deposit" my 2BR Platinum week @ OP? Then, if I understand this correctly, I use the A/C for GV & still have another week to go someplace else? That sounds way too good to be true! What am I missing? Do I have to "lock off" b/f I do any of this? Call Marriott & divide my 2BR....so, in effect, I am depositing a lock off & a 1BR?

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
For Moi:

Ocean Pointe - spend virtually everyday at the resort soaking at the pool, walking on the beach, and relaxing.

Grande Vista - spend a day or two at the resort and the rest of the time doing something or other in Orlando.

Charles

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
So, do I call II & ask them for an A/C & tell them that I want to "deposit" my 2BR Platinum week @ OP? Then, if I understand this correctly, I use the A/C for GV & still have another week to go someplace else? That sounds way too good to be true! What am I missing? Do I have to "lock off" b/f I do any of this? Call Marriott & divide my 2BR....so, in effect, I am depositing a lock off & a 1BR?

It all boils down to their willingness to offer the A/C for your deposit. If a resort is in great demand (which OP is), it will rate the A/C....if not, it won't. All depends on what week/season you offer. I've heard it go both ways, so nothing would shock me.

One poster above mentioned that 2009 weeks will not rate the A/C.....that could be entirely true. I would not, however, neglect to ask I.I. , tho..........you never know. (What could it hurt?) Things change as time moves on.

If they do offer the A/C, then what you describe above is exactly how you handle it. Same for any owner at a high-demand resort who wishes to deposit for trade. Sometimes you walk away with an A/C, sometimes you don't. To be honest, it's been inconsistent, so give it a chance. jme

Last edited:

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ocean Pointe has the reputation of being one of the most owner used (occupied) resorts in the Marriott collection. It would surprise me if prime weeks do not get an AC.

Charles

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
.....One poster above mentioned that 2009 weeks will not rate the A/C.....that could be entirely true. I would not, however, neglect to ask I.I. , tho..........you never know. (What could it hurt?) Things change as time moves on.....

I agree with the above post. Call II and ask them.

I have not checked in a few months and now do not have a 2009 week to check with anymore. Last time I checked, there were no AC's being offered for platinum (winter) or gold (summer) weeks at OP. Things could have changed since then.

We all know that II has been stingy with AC's for 2009 at most resorts.

Terry

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
ok....so, I have to "lock off" my 2BR Platinum 2009 Rez @ OP w/ Marriott Rez b/f I call II to ask for the A/C thing. Right? Then I ask for GV w/ the A/C if OP is giving A/C & then I still have another week w/ II. Amazing the things u learn from Tuggers! Thanks Everybody!

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
ok....so, I have to "lock off" my 2BR Platinum 2009 Rez @ OP w/ Marriott Rez b/f I call II to ask for the A/C thing. Right? Then I ask for GV w/ the A/C if OP is giving A/C & then I still have another week w/ II. Amazing the things u learn from Tuggers! Thanks Everybody!

Call II first to see what qualifies for an AC, if anything. If II is offering AC's, they will tell you if you must deposit a 2BR or if a 1BR will qualify. Then call Marriott and lock-off if wanted. You could possibly end up with three weeks vacation if all goes as desired!

Remember, you cannot use your AC to search II during the most premium seasons, not even at MGV.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Terry

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, Terry! Ok....I am lost! How cld I potentially get 3 weeks? Educate me! One for the lock off, one for the 1BR & one for the AC if OP is giving AC's??

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score

To add slightly:
OP has a big owner's reception, GV has none.
GV units in newer bdlgs and renovated old are nicer (opinion generally shared in reviews).
GV has golf on site and accross the street. OP did not have any golf deals I recall (although I played golf near there).
GV has shopping and restaurants (on and off site) much closer and more convenient. MANY more restaurants (it's Orlando).
GV gym S T I N K S!!! Way too small. OP is smaller resort with TWO gyms.
GV has a too small Marketplace, but it is bigger than OP. Still, it should be 3x the size when you consider the comparative resort sizes.
Note on last two---GV is supposed to be rebuilding both areas, athough I don't know if they started yet or when they will be done.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just checked -- no ACs for January, February or March deposits at OP.:(

Are ACs ever given within 6 months of check-in, or are they more likely at 12 months out?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
no A/C's ?

There are currently no bonus weeks being offered for ANY week in 2009 at OP.

Terry

One could infer from the lack of A/C weeks awarded that OP has a lot of owners who deposit their weeks, so there must be a ton of traders there year round, less owners occupying (gas prices??), and hence less demand for weeks, as they appear readily in the trade pool. If no one was depositing for trade, they would be offering A/C's in order to encourage deposits.....jme

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
But, why wld OP want to encourage deposits? I thought that OP had one of the highest Owner Occupancy rates.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
But, why wld OP want to encourage deposits? I thought that OP had one of the highest Owner Occupancy rates.

OP doesn't want to encourage deposits, but II sure does. That is why they normally offer AC's.