• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

preferred RCI resorts

annenp

Reaction score
Hi CaliDave,

Thanks for all of the great info and sharing the names of some of the better RCI resorts which is exactly what I was looking for.

However luxury accomodations is just as important as location for me. So for my HGVC exchange, I'm only interested in RCI resorts that provide luxury quality accomodations.

Based on another thread, it looks like you've been very successful in pulling the better RCI resorts via the HGVC's reservation desk. It also appears that you were able to request first before depositing the your HGVC points. Is this correct?

I want to take advantage of destinations that my HGVC ownership offers me therefore I want to find/create a master RCI list that I can work from for future vacation planning.

Based on your feedback, it looks like I should add the following to my list of RCI luxury quality resorts
- Embassy Resorts in Maui or Kauai
- Grand Mayan Resorts in Mexico

I'm not sure if the RCI California & Florida resorts you previously mentioned fell under luxury quality vs clean nice oceanfront resorts.
Can you tell me which fall under luxury quality resorts? I don't mind driving to the beach.

Thanks again

can you share with me your list of preferred RCI resorts??

Bill4728

Reaction score
HGVC has already kind of done that for its members. Instead of listing in the HGVC exchange book all the RCI resorts, it list only those RCI resorts which HGVC feels are up to the standards of HGVC.

NOTE: This question was added to a thread which was over two years old. So as not to confuse things, I made it it's own thread.

Last edited:

benjaminb13

Reaction score
Bill
Maybe you can give me some insight on this.

I was very happy to see that RCI has Desert Springs iand Mission Hills in Palm desert area as two of their resorts-
These are both really top notch resorts-
I believe desert Springs Villas is Marriott and Mission hills - Westin

Yet when I called HGVC to check availability- they said they could not guarantee quality as these resorts are not up to the standards of HGVC.

Many of us have been to both these resorts....

They have got to be joking

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
can you share with me your list of preferred RCI resorts??

Sorry, I didn't get too far with my RCI list. Since I can travel anytime during the year (not restricted to a school calendar), I bought a low cost trader so I could exchange into the hotel based timeshares in Interval International - see this link. Needless to say I'm a happy camper with II therefore I really haven't looked at RCI again.

The original thread has lots of great RCI suggestions. I suggest starting there. Here's the link to that old thread. In addition, I had the following resorts on my RCI list:
Grand Velas, All Inclusive in Nuevo Vallarta (RCI code: 5778)
Club Donatello in San Francisco (RCI code 1755)
Nob Hill Inn in San Francisco (RCI code 0824)
Grand Mayan Riviera Maya (RCI code 6974)
TradeWinds Cruise Club-British Virgin Islands (RCI code: 6068)

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bill
Maybe you can give me some insight on this.

I was very happy to see that RCI has Desert Springs iand Mission Hills in Palm desert area as two of their resorts-
These are both really top notch resorts-
I believe desert Springs Villas is Marriott and Mission hills - Westin

Yet when I called HGVC to check availability- they said they could not guarantee quality as these resorts are not up to the standards of HGVC.

Many of us have been to both these resorts....

They have got to be joking

You may see them in the book, but I doubt if you will ever get a trade into them.

My understanding, and anyone can correct me, cuz I am not a whiz on this.

But as I understand the Desert Springs Villa scenario, is that when they were first built, I think they had dual affiliation with RCI and II, but as they grew the relationship changed, and so while some units may still have a RCI connection, they are very few and very far between.

When I first bought our HGVC, I too as a Southern Californian was quite interested in Desert Springs as a get away. So when I inquired, as I remember I was told the above info from a HGVC phone rep. But again it's been a number of years.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Rick is right. Some resorts have dual affiliation with both RCI & II. But almost all Marriott owners trade with II because they get a 24 head start over all other non marriott owners to trade into other marriotts. So very few if any desert spring owners will use RCI. The same may be true for the westin Mission hills but not sure.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Don't give up on RCI yet

Here's what I also said in that thread

Steve & CaliDave

Thanks for your response and sharing your opinions of the best timeshares Southern California & Florida has to offer.

I think I used the wrong choice of words earlier when I stated “luxury accommodations’. I really should use the description I gave in my original post - “At a bare minimal, I want an exchange that is at least equivalent in quality and service to my HGVC timeshare

While the HGVC timeshares are upscale and very nice. HGVC is not in the same category as the Four Seasons, which offers true luxury accommodations.

Based on your descriptions, I think I would be happy to stay at most of the resorts you both listed. It’s good to know the top resorts since my personal preference would be to trade up whenever possible but I would be happy with any resort that matches in quality and service to HGVC.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and opinions.

Since you're looking for RCI resorts in Hawaii, here's the research that I would do. Perhaps a little overkill for some but I like to know what to expect.

FOR MAUI
Kaanapali Beach Club, a Sunterra Premier Resort was Embassy Vacation Resort at Kaanapali
North America, USA, HI, Lahaina
RCI CODE 4985
Read the reviews on TUG http://tug2.com/RnR/RatingsAndReviews.aspx?ResortGUID=47209EEB-498B-4979-A256-6151045E8034
Read the reviews and check-out the photos on Tripadvisor - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...eviews-Ka_anapali_Beach_Club-Maui_Hawaii.html
Look for more Tugger comments and photos by executing a Search using Kaanapali+Beach+Club

Sands of Kahana
North America, USA, HI, Lahaina
RCI CODE 5541
Read the reviews on TUG http://tug2.com/RnR/RatingsAndReviews.aspx?ResortGUID=F291ABCB-5E04-4F40-8D8E-D7ADBCF747E6
Read the reviews and check-out the photos on Tripadvisor - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...iews-Sands_of_Kahana-Lahaina_Maui_Hawaii.html
Look for more Tugger comments and photos by executing a Search using Sands+of+Kahana

FOR KAUAI
Point at Poipu , a Sunterra Premier Resort was Embassy Vacation Resort Poipu Point
North America, USA, HI, Koloa
RCI CODE 3682
Read the reviews on TUG - http://tug2.com/RnR/RatingsAndReviews.aspx?ResortGUID=A79A946E-391F-4513-920B-4ACDC53F3CCA
Read the reviews and check-out the photos on Tripadvisor - http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...49-The_Point_at_Poipu-Poipu_Kauai_Hawaii.html
Look for more Tugger comments and photos by executing a Search using the word Poipu

Shell Vacations Club at Kauai Coast Resort at the Beachboy
North America, USA, HI, Kapaa
RCI CODE 5852
Read the reviews on TUG - http://tug2.com/RnR/RatingsAndReviews.aspx?ResortGUID=5D059395-A552-4665-B2B1-116C4C12AFB2
Read the reviews and check-out the photos on Tripadvisor - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...esort_at_the_Beachboy-Kapaa_Kauai_Hawaii.html
Look for more Tugger comments and photos by executing a Search using the word Beachboy

Another option would be to book a peak 2009/2010 travel week at a HGVC developed Hawaii resorts and place
(1) a Request First with SFX
AND
(2) an Exchange ad for Maui on the new TUG Timeshare Marketplace - http://tug2.com/timesharemarketplace/ (Definitely take a look at what's already being offered.)

Good Luck :cheer: