• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2008 ] When did Starwood take over SDO and SBP?

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when Starwood took over Sheraton Desert Oasis and Sheraton Broadway Plantation?

Thanks!

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
July 19, 1999. Both properties were included in the "merger"/"acquisition" of Vistana, Inc. (Our Heros).

Hey are you thinking what I'm thinking? Why is SVN letting resale buyers of the original Florida timeshares into SVN now, but still excluding resale buyers of these original non-Florida properties?

SDO recently went through a major remodel too. . . ...

-nodge

Last edited:

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
SDO and SBP are in SVN (the older sections too). So is PGA (also an acquired Embassy). Those owners got the invite many years back (and remember they had the deal with SDO that all owners there would be put into the system as "gold" owners desite some owning in platinum season).

Nice link, by the way. It's good to see it all in writing.

Katherine

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

I was actually trying to figure out if the SDO I just purchased was an original one, or a true platinum. It turns out to be a true platinum based on the deed of the people I am purchasing it from.

I think my Sheraton Broadway Plantation was purchased pre-starwood.

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah.

It's possible that Starwood sold some left over week 1-52 floaters after it took over. I think they made the change to its now familiar "seasons" with the opening of the newest phase after it took over.

The season description associated with your villa building number and recorded in the CC&R's will determine whether your owned property is a week 1-52 floater (and therefore requalifiable as a "gold") or a true late phase Starwood platinum.

I think I have all of that CC&R paperwork in my office. Post your recorded villa number and I'll look it up tomorrow.

-nodge

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any Starwood agent can look it up for you. You just need the unit number and week it's deeded. :) Katherine

myip

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To be a true Platinum week at Sheraton Desert Oasis the unit number must be in this range-

1064, 1072, 1081-1100, 2064, 2072, 2081- 2100, 3064-3072, and 3081-3100

AND

the deeded week must be in this range: 1-21, 50-52

*9/29/11 - added info. - DeniseM

Last edited by a moderator:

twz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought an old 1-52 float unit which I knew was deeded into a platinum week (16), but it seems to fall into Starwood's platinum "bucket" by unit as well.

On a side note, when Starwood added my resale SDO unit they made it part of my regular mystarcentral account even though it is deeded differently than our Hawaii properties. The resale SDO unit also shows StarOption and StarPoint conversion numbers available, but when I called about that (I had to see whether or not I really could book with StarOptions), the customer service person said it was some kind of fluke. Perhaps portends of things to come?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I bought an old 1-52 float unit which I knew was deeded into a platinum week (16), but it seems to fall into Starwood's platinum "bucket" by unit as well.

From what I understand, the old 1-52 weeks will let you reserve in Starwood's Platinum period (hence the 1-52 ability), but if you requalify that week it will change to a Gold week, not Platinum and be only worth 81k SOs.

On a side note, when Starwood added my resale SDO unit they made it part of my regular mystarcentral account even though it is deeded differently than our Hawaii properties. The resale SDO unit also shows StarOption and StarPoint conversion numbers available, but when I called about that (I had to see whether or not I really could book with StarOptions), the customer service person said it was some kind of fluke. Perhaps portends of things to come?

This sounds very familiar to me. This is what happened with my WMH resale unit, and they were charging me SVN fees for it. Are they charging you SVN fees? Check carefully. If so, push them on this issue, and you'll probably find that if you've had it a year or so they might just let you stay in the program (that's what happened to me). They want that extra SVN fee, especially if they've already collected it from you in the past. I believe I waited until I had paid the second year fee before pushing for a resolution (I was asking for clarification, a refund, etc - and they said they'd just leave it in the program).

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a nice mistake except if you plan to use it for II trading. Then you are stuck by SVN rules, right? And that means your Week 12 SDO might deposit as week 40 Lakes/Cascades. :eek: It won't trade nearly as well.

Katherine

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Confused about SDO weeks

So all this talk about true Platinum and regular old 1-52 weeks has gotten me confused :confused: . This is such a great place to learn about things you never thought you cared about :rolleyes: !

I'm currently looking at various deeds and trying to make heads or tails out of them.

Like a D-46-3056, D-46-3055, sold in 2004. Is that a 1-52?

Or a A-14-2066, A-14-2065, sold in 2001, is that also a 1-52?

myip

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
S]

I'm currently looking at various deeds and trying to make heads or tails out of them.

Like a D-46-3056, D-46-3055, sold in 2004. Is that a 1-52?

Not true platinum - float 1 -52

Or a A-14-2066, A-14-2065, sold in 2001, is that also a 1-52?

Not a true platinum. float 1-52.

The deeded units are not in the true platinum range.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks!

What does the D-* mean. I assume A-* means annual?

Now I am learning how to read deeds....:D

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to my copy of SDO's CC&R's . . . .

"The 'Interval No.' shall be a one letter designation ('A' for an Annual Interval, 'E' for a Biennial Interval - Even Years' and 'D' for a Biennial Interval - Odd Years), followed by a two digit number of the particular Interval, followed by a four digit number of the Designated Unit for which the Interval is assigned. The four digit number corresponds to a Standard One Bedroom Unit, Deluxe One Bedroom Unit or Two Bedroom Unit according the following legend . . . ."

So, "D" means it's an EOY-ODD.

-nodge

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks, nodge! This is interesting stuff to know.

Here's another quiz question....:D

Some deeds read

"undivided 1/52 fee interest" (annual)

"undivided 1/104 fee interest" (biennial)

"undivided 1/23, 712 fee interest" (this is biennial)

"undivided 1/11, 856 fee interest" (this is an annual)

Is there a simple reason why one annual would be 1/11, 856?

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Thanks, nodge! This is interesting stuff to know.

Here's another quiz question....:D

"undivided 1/11, 856 fee interest" (this is an annual)

Is there a simple reason why one annual would be 1/11, 856?

11,856 would be the total number of weeks available at the resort. 11,856 divided by 52 is 228--so there are 228 units total.

Glorian

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
11,856 would be the total number of weeks available at the resort. 11,856 divided by 52 is 228--so there are 228 units total.

Glorian

You SDO owners are good :whoopie: . Odd how the deeds would use different fractions to mean the same thing.

Glorian, do you have a true Plat week there? Were true Plats sold by Vistana Scottsdale?

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Glorian, do you have a true Plat week there? Were true Plats sold by Vistana Scottsdale?

Yes, I do own a true Plat. It took me quite a while to find it. I was actually in escrow on a small 1 bd true plat last year, but that ended up not working out. In the end, though, it was all for the best as I then found this true plat large 1 bd unit.

I believe plat, gold, silver seasons were only sold once Starwood took over SDO. Vistana only sold 1-52 floats as far as I know. In fact, Starwood was only able to designate "new" units as 3 seasons. If an older unit comes back to Starwood, they still have to sell it as a 1-52 float.

Glorian