• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cash vs. Points Availability

shoeie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I should probably know the answer to this, but I don't, so I will ask the TUG brain trust.

I have been searching for a brief stay recently. When I search the Marriott website (hotel site) I see the exact vacation club I want is available the exact dates I want it for cash. But when I search the MVCI website, the identical property is unavailable to book with MVCI points?

Why?

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Different inventories. The unit available on the hotel site maybe marriott owned inventory, or it could be inventory from an owner than converted to Bonvoy points or used for a cruise, etc.

Remember as an owner you can use the MVC discount codes to book a cash rate at an MVC location- 2VC, 6VC, 7VC depending on your ownership level.

shoeie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Different inventories. The unit available on the hotel site maybe marriott owned inventory, or it could be inventory from an owner than converted to Bonvoy points or used for a cruise, etc.

Remember as an owner you can use the MVC discount codes to book a cash rate at an MVC location- 2VC, 6VC, 7VC depending on your ownership level.
Do any of those codes ever work? I've never gotten any of them to work, including on this search.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do any of those codes ever work? I've never gotten any of them to work, including on this search.

Yes- I was actually just searching to add an extra night at Beachplace Towers for next week and the 2VC code is over a $200 discount for one night!

1678985240136.png

shoeie

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to MVC the codes are "subject to availability" even if the room is available for cash. In other words, maybe we'll let you use it, maybe we won't.

funNsun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is discount code 7VC only available to non-enrolled owners? I am a mere resale owner. I was able to make a booking using the 7VC code (appeared to give me about $200 off and made reservation cancellable). However, I want to be sure this will not be an issue when I check-in.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is discount code 7VC only available to non-enrolled owners? I am a mere resale owner. I was able to make a booking using the 7VC code (appeared to give me about $200 off and made reservation cancellable). However, I want to be sure this will not be an issue when I check-in.

I have never been asked to prove I booked under the correct code, but yes the 7VC is for all weeks owners, even resale.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I should probably know the answer to this, but I don't, so I will ask the TUG brain trust.

I have been searching for a brief stay recently. When I search the Marriott website (hotel site) I see the exact vacation club I want is available the exact dates I want it for cash. But when I search the MVCI website, the identical property is unavailable to book with MVCI points?

Why?
I agree, they are totally separate inventories. Another possible explanation for no points inventory is the resort is requiring a minimum stay. Have you tried searching for additional days up to a week?

1Melanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Midtown 45, Santa Barbara, Avenue Plaza
Did you keep the names and numbers of any of your sales reps? I just met a TUGger recently who said there are different types of inventories. He told me we could call one of our contacts and sometimes they can get the inventory for you. I haven’t tried that yet but will if I’m in a similar situation.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you keep the names and numbers of any of your sales reps? I just met a TUGger recently who said there are different types of inventories. He told me we could call one of our contacts and sometimes they can get the inventory for you. I haven’t tried that yet but will if I’m in a similar situation.

I've got some beachfront property to sell you in Arizona too... Sounds like total Sales BS to me.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It may be possible, when you first purchase, to dip into the developer inventory on a case by case basis, but that’s it.

1Melanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've got some beachfront property to sell you in Arizona too... Sounds like total Sales BS to me.
Doesn’t hurt to try. The worse that can happen is they’ll say NO.

[Moderator Note: Political comments deleted.] <-- SueDonJ

Last edited by a moderator:

1Melanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Doesn’t hurt to try. The worse that can happen is they’ll say NO.

[Moderator Note: Political comments deleted.] <-- SueDonJ
Oops! Sorry. Didn’t really think about it as I posted.

1Melanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lol now I’m curious what it said! I didn’t see it in time before it got moderated. :)
It had something to do with when AZ would become waterfront. I didn’t think it was political but I guess the moderator thought otherwise.

mbstn6254

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mariott Vacation Club
Yes- I was actually just searching to add an extra night at Beachplace Towers for next week and the 2VC code is over a $200 discount for one night!

View attachment 74363
Where can I get information on those discount codes. I am a select points owner and I frequently stay at MVC properties when I am out on business, paying cash like any other hotel accommodation. I have found the MVC resorts nicer and many times cheaper.

Thank You!

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Where can I get information on those discount codes. I am a select points owner and I frequently stay at MVC properties when I am out on business, paying cash like any other hotel accommodation. I have found the MVC resorts nicer and many times cheaper.

Thank You!
From the Marriott Abound (formerly Destination Club) Points-System FAQ & Guide Sticky at the top of this forum...

***All discount rates are based on availability. There is no guarantee that any certain inventory or discount component will be available.***

Discounts for cash stays
at the MVCI resorts (and very infrequently, at certain of the Marriott hotels/resorts) are capacity-controlled and based on ownership status:
  • Presidential and Chairman's Club DC Members - 35% off (code "2VC")
  • Executive DC Members - 30% off (code "6VC")
  • Select and Owner DC Members and Weeks Owners not affiliated with the DC - 25% off (code "7VC")