• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

AmEx Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant question

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
You can only top off with 15,000 extra points. So, unfortunately, the 85,000-point certificate won't get you the 106,000-point room.
I will probably do that. I can probably get the $60K spend to get an additional certificate as well. I have to see when my credit card renewal is. That is probably important to get the spend in the same use year, right?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
So I missed the anniversary date and had some spend toward that $60K on this year's, some on last year's annual fee. Whoops. Better pay fees way ahead next year. The fees straddle the MF's due date. Better do all in one or the other next time.

ann824

TUG Member
Reaction score
And another bonus I'm just reading that is harder for most to get but I will achieve, is for every $60k spent you get another 85k cert. My MFs are $75k so I should get a second high value hotel cert to use in April. Nice.
You can choose between an additional 85k cert or 5 suite night certificates which could be worth even more if you can use them.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I will probably do that. I can probably get the $60K spend to get an additional certificate as well. I have to see when my credit card renewal is. That is probably important to get the spend in the same use year, right?

I believe the $60,000 spend requirement is by calendar year, not use year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was going to cancel the card as they increased the annual fee by $200. For the first time ever though with AMEX, they actually let me keep the old fee of $450 as a loyalty reward. In 20 years of dealing with Amex, if you wanted to cancel, they cancelled you without any question or concern really. This is a new experience for me at least but kept the card for $450.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can choose between an additional 85k cert or 5 suite night certificates which could be worth even more if you can use them.

I have found it impossible to use the suite night certificates. We've had so many go through our accounts but when I try to get a paid room upgraded the hotel says they don't have any available upgrades as they've all been sold.

Any tips would be appreciated.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I have found it impossible to use the suite night certificates. We've had so many go through our accounts but when I try to get a paid room upgraded the hotel says they don't have any available upgrades as they've all been sold.

Then don’t select the SNAs. We stopped selecting them because we never get them filled either. We’ve actually never had one filed - 0% success rate. We just select the ENCs or FNA. YMMV or course…..

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Then don’t select the SNAs. We stopped selecting them because we never get them filled either. We’ve actually never had one filed - 0% success rate. We just select the ENCs or FNA. YMMV or course…..

Many of the SNA's that have shown up in our account seem to have been earned from the amount of nights we've accumulated in a year. I wish we could get FNA's for a certain number of nights stayed. The only way I know of getting those are annually from the credit cards. Am I missing something? Maybe I am because I don't know what an ENC is ;)

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Many of the SNA's that have shown up in our account seem to have been earned from the amount of nights we've accumulated in a year. I wish we could get FNA's for a certain number of nights stayed. The only way I know of getting those are annually from the credit cards. Am I missing something? Maybe I am because I don't know what an ENC is ;)
You can choose a FNA when you reach 75 nights (Titanium). And ENCs are Elite Night Credits - you get one for each night you stay...but can also get them for having Bonvoy credit cards and for the spend on a Bonvoy Visa Card (old card 1 ENC/$3,000, new one 1 ENC/$5,000). You can also choose 5 ENCs as your Platinum reward if you happen to find yourself just short of reaching Titanium.

Last edited:

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

So...for better or worse you don't find out if a Marriot hotel will allow you to attach an SNA to the room and date you booked without actually making a reservation. However if I have a couple of different hotels in which I'm willing to stay, I'll make a reservation at all of them and see which rooms show as available using SNAs. Assuming I'm happy with the base room and the SNA upgrade, I'll then keep that reservation and cancel the rest.

If you have excess SNAs lying around and are looking at a one or two night stay, you can also keep more than one SNA'd reservation. Generally speaking, SNAs happen 5 days out and most hotels have 24-72 hour cancellation policies. So you just use the reservation at which the SNA is approved.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hit or miss. I am 1 for 1, going for 2 for 2 in a couple weeks, we'll see! Mine was foreign though.

klpenny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harboside Atlantis, Sheraton Flex ,Vidanta
Hi all! Quick question. My husband and I both have the AMEX Brilliant card and are going to cancel 1 or both of them when up for renewal in February since huge price jump in fee. The free night reward is I believe on your renewal date. Is there anyway to get it? For example, could we renew the card, pay the fee, get the reward night, then cancel and get most of the fee refunded? We used the card for a year and seems we should get the free night. Thoughts?

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Hi all! Quick question. My husband and I both have the AMEX Brilliant card and are going to cancel 1 or both of them when up for renewal in February since huge price jump in fee. The free night reward is I believe on your renewal date. Is there anyway to get it? For example, could we renew the card, pay the fee, get the reward night, then cancel and get most of the fee refunded? We used the card for a year and seems we should get the free night. Thoughts?

Your logic here is correct. The certificate is awarded to you when you hit your anniversary date. That is also when the annual fee gets billed. You can cancel the card within 30(?) days from when the fee is billed with no consequences. The certificate will be yours to keep.

I wouldn't necessarily wait to receive the statement with the annual fee - once you get the certificate in your account (and the annual fee is probably already billed - you'll see it online or on the app) you can call to cancel. You may get a "retention offer" that will make you change your mind and keep it for another year so be open to that. Those offers can be pretty generous...

ann824

TUG Member
Reaction score
American Express cards don’t give you the free night on your anniversary. They wait about 2 months. The free night does post at the same time on the Visa Cards.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
American Express cards don’t give you the free night on your anniversary. They wait about 2 months. The free night does post at the same time on the Visa Cards.
This is correct. Better to hold for 2 months and downgrade when you receive the cert. They will prorate your fee for the downgrade card.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC

I just checked and you are correct on both accounts (Visa vs. Amex) - I never realized that!

Membership renewal was billed around February 10 and the certificate deposited around April 5.

My Chase Visa things happened at the same time.

This is correct. Better to hold for 2 months and downgrade when you receive the cert. They will prorate your fee for the downgrade card.

Given the timing, this would work better. I believe the downgrade cars is a $95 annual fee, and then you can cancel that a year later or keep it to pay MFs and for the 35,000-point certificate that comes with it.

klpenny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harboside Atlantis, Sheraton Flex ,Vidanta
Thanks everyone!

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got the AMEX Bonvoy Business Card. Will I get a certificate to use this year? Or will I not receive my first 35K certificate until the card renews the first time?

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I just got the AMEX Bonvoy Business Card. No I get a certificate to use this year? Or will I not receive my first 35K certificate until the card renews the first time?
Yes about 2 months after your card anniversary you will receive the 35k certificate.

Bodie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thinking about adding the Chase Sapphire Reserve to my Marriott Bonvoy Boundless and Marriott Bonvoy Business Cards. I already have Marriott Platinum Elite status so that's not a consideration. CSR seems to have a lot of additional benefits. Any other card that would be better? I've read these other posts - as well as the various comparisons - but, honestly, my head reels at all the information. Thank you.

iowaguy09

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Flex
Sheraton Flex
Thinking about adding the Chase Sapphire Reserve to my Marriott Bonvoy Boundless and Marriott Bonvoy Business Cards. I already have Marriott Platinum Elite status so that's not a consideration. CSR seems to have a lot of additional benefits. Any other card that would be better? I've read these other posts - as well as the various comparisons - but, honestly, my head reels at all the information. Thank you.
This is what I am leaning toward doing as well, and dropping my annual fee United and American credit cards. Hard to stop using that Bonvoy Boundless with the ENC/$5,000 benefit though for most spending.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC

I don't know if it's "better" than CSR because it probably isn't, but it's worth looking at the Capital One Venture X (I have both CSR and Venture X).

Venture X has a $395 annual fee but gives $300/year travel credit (when booked through their portal) and 10,000 anniversary miles (worth $100) - so the card basically pays for itself.

They are planning to open some high-quality lounges like the Amex airport lounges (DFW is open, and DEN and Dulles planned). Like other premium cards it has Priority Pass and TSA Pre credit. And it offers Hertz President Circle status at least until the end of 2024 (may get renewed). 10x miles on hotels and car rentals booked through their portal.

Bonus offer is 75,000 points ($750) after you spend $4000.

lotus921v

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham South Shore, Wyndham Bali Hai, Wyndham Shearwater, Worldmark, Regal Vistas at Massanutten, Marriott Grand Chateau
There are a ton of cards that will give you 3% back or 3x points including free cards. IMO it simply depends on what you have already and whether the other benefits of the card make it worthwhile. I'm not aware of a card that gives more just for dining long term but often there are short term specials. Personally I use the Chase Sapphire Reserve for this and have the Chase Bonvoy Boundless for Marriott purchases/maintenance fees. The bottom line to me would be everything else (Marriott, Airport lounges, etc). If you have to pay for the fuel or have significant grocery spends, rewards there might be a better determining factor. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

The bonvoy cards recognize Marriott maintenance fees as the higher Marriott factored amounts? It’s not just for hotel stays?