• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Benefits of buying direct?

Pete Buckler

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Kingsgate, Wyndham Smoky Mountains
We are considering buying DVC points. We are passholders and in the last 12 months probably had 4 trips to WDW with 5-7 nights each trip. There are 6 of us too. We currently have a couple Wyndham contracts given to us from grandparents. So we know a bit about timeshare systems. We have stayed at Bonnet Creek. We are wondering if we bought DVC resale, what perks exactly would we be missing out on compared to buying direct? Could we buy direct and resale and combine the points? Is there a reason to do so? With 6 of us we need a good number of points so combining ‘contracts’ (all resale or some direct) seems like it could work. I would like people to chime in, especially if you have experience with having bought resale and combining points from different purchases. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are wondering if we bought DVC resale, what perks exactly would we be missing out on compared to buying direct? Could we buy direct and resale and combine the points? Is there a reason to do so? With 6 of us we need a good number of points so combining ‘contracts’ (all resale or some direct) seems like it could work. I would like people to chime in, especially if you have experience with having bought resale and combining points from different purchases.

I bought in direct first at the time the minimum was crazy low- 50 points got full benefits-at at the time low point contracts the savings resale was negligible to direct as far as closing costs and everything else…

That said the minimum is now 150 so it’s a huge difference price wise knowing that “perks”‘aren’t guaranteed - is it worth the cost is really up to an individual family…

The is only one reason to buy resale- and it’s cost. Here is the deal though as of right now resale resort restrictions are are what keeps me from adding on in- i am thankful that I bought resale when I did and am not subject to the original 14 rule.

All of my points are a combination of direct & resale- but the key being same resort same UY and they pretty much function as 1 when it comes to booking a reservation- not sure how it works now with combo after the Rivera restrictions started hopefully someone chimes in…

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
There is an explanation here on what you gain and lose with resale:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
We have a small direct contract from years ago and have used many perks-Disney member cruise, dvc AP, magical moments/“free” evenings at parks. We also have a larger resale contract. I’d not spend much more for direct and am very happy with resale. I am fine to stay at original 14 resorts.
But, with incentives, sometimes direct is not a huge premium. When booking rooms, direct or resale makes no difference.
Research use year and home resorts. We bought somewhere we like to stay. It’s getting harder to book at under 7 months. So making a plan at prior to 7 months and trying to swap, but being ok to stay where you own matters more now.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

Limace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Grand Californian
DVC-Animal Kingdom Kidani
Right now, perks are ver minimal as for most, the biggest perk was a discounted AP which Disney isn’t currently selling. There are resale restriction which currently only mean you cant use resale points to stay at Riviera-we don’t know yet if they will be in place for future resorts.

Research until your eyes bleed.

Make sure you fully understand use year.

We own DVC-direct and resale-and our main use is at the Grand Californian. I love it and wouldn’t give it up-but I’m not convinced it’s the same level of awesome on my WDW stays. We’ve had amazing stays there-but Bonnet Creek was also very nice and so much cheaper. I am an early morning person so the on-site perk of early entry is a big one for me, but if you’re not, much less important imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
We bought direct in 1997 (and 2001 and 2002). Our first points were at OKW and we paid $50 a point direct. We paid about $65 and $70 for our three other direct contracts. Those three are all sold now, plus one small resale. We started with 175, added on to 500 and are now back to 175 (and we live in SW Florida now). With the difference between direct and resale, you can afford any discount you won't get with resale. You won't be eligible for special events like the special night at a park (about three or four hours with very light refreshments or special refreshments, but they schedule them at less than seven months out most of the time and if you didn't make a reservation during those times, you won't get in), no discount on APs. You might not be able to go up to the Top of the World Lounge for those events without direct, but there are other places you can go.

Buy where you like to stay the most and book there at 11 months out. Then at exactly seven months out, see if you can change to a different location. Many times, even seven months out is too late, especially holidays. Don't plan on using those points for non-DVC stays, like cruises or Adv By Disney. Those use lots of points and they must be direct (unless you are grandfathered in).

If you buy direct and resale, you can use those points to book a DVC stay. You cannot use resale to book Riviera or any new resort. If the Polynesian tower is considered a separate resort, that will be off limits with resale. But if they consider it part of the current Polynesian resort, you should be able to book it with resale points.

With six, you'll need at least a two bedroom, so plan on buying enough points for a two bedroom. But four trips for 5-7 night could mean up to 28 nights. That is a lot of points for a two bedroom.

DVC isn't cheap. Our dues the first year were just under $3 a point. Now they are over $9 a point. Annual fees will always cost you more than your original purchase price if you keep those points for a long time. Don't plan on gifting them to your kids when you don't need them anymore. They probably won't be able to afford the annual fees.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
How many DVC Points do you need for a week vacation?

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score

Points needed vary.....which resort, which season, size of accommodation needed( studio, 1BDR, 2BDR, Grand Villa, Bungalow), # of nights (does not need to be a full week), weekend? weeknights?

When buying, one should consider # of people in family, are they okay with a studio? or do they need bigger/big family or prefer to cook, when do they normally travel, etc. etc.

Resale - one can buy a contract as small as they want (25) - direct they keep changing the minimum points needed to buy - used to be 150. I think they raised it? As mentioned, each resort requires a different number per night and dues amount are also different price for each resort.

kanerf

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should pull down a copy of the points charts for the different resorts you might want to stay at to see what the weekly costs will be during the different Disney seasons. I always do split stays myself with 3 or 4 nights at each resort.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are two things that matter: having a qualified account, and having qualified points.

Your account is qualified for "Membership Extras" if you buy at least 150 points directly from Disney. Most of the Membership Extras are either relatively meaningless discounts that are easy to get other ways, or rare events that most owners will never take advantage of. The one difference that can matter: Disney usually offers some discount on an annual pass--either a direct discount, or the ability to buy a lower-priced pass with a few blockout dates during the busiest weeks of the year. With your visitation pattern, that could be helpful.

Points are also qualified vs. unqualified. Qualified points can be used for anything in the system. Unqualified points are restricted and cannot be used everywhere. Resale points from the "original 14" can only be used at those resorts, but not Riviera (or future ones). Resale points at Riviera can only be used at Riviera, no where else.

With the exception of booking restrictions, you can combine resale and retail points in one account provided they have the same use year. But that's not helpful if some are resale Riviera points and some are not, because they cannot be combined for any reservation; they are mutually exclusive.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Wyndham, Marriott and DVC resale owner here,

I just want to say I'm glad I got my Wyndham and Marriott resales before I bought my 50 DVC points. I saved so much money!! I only use my DVC points to stay at the locations that I can't get with my Marriott week. I am cool with SSR, OKW, AKV and BWV (the ones that you can get on Interval International for half the price of owning DVC). My 50 points are just for the studio inventory I can only access with DVC points(Bay Lake, GF, Poly, Beach Club). With 6 people, it will be rediculously expensive owning DVC because in order to get onsite benefits for your party, you have to stay in a 2 bedroom.

Research adding on a "Platinum 2 bedroom lock off" at either "Marriott's Willow Ridge" or "Marriott Grand Chateau". Those are cheap to own and have low maintenance fees. You can deposit it into Interval and use the entire deposit to stay in a 2 bedroom at SSR and OKW (2 bedrooms are spotted semi frequently) for roughly $1900/week ($1500 MF + $219 exchange fee + $190 resort fee)

Alternatively, you can split the unit into 2 deposits (1 bedroom + studio) and get 2 weeks at the Marriotts in Orlando using Interval International.

Flexchange lets you exchange your studio into a 2 bedroom. Here is an example of a good Orlando Marriott right outside the Disney gate that I can see with my Marriott studio:

1669762862720.png

You can stay in this 2 bedroom for about $660/week using just the studio ($500 MF + $164 exchange fee) . Flexchange is the 60 day inventory. This Marriott gives you access to a pool complex that is better than every single DVC. Just google the "Marriott World Center" and you will see how amazing the onsite pool is. To get this deal, you just make a reservation for the dates you want to be in Orlando at Bonnet Creek and then check at the 60 day mark to see what good Marriott deals are available. If there's a good Marriott deal (which there almost always is), take it and cancel the Wyndham reservation. If you can't get a Marriott deal, use the Bonnet Creek reservation. You can also just pay an extra $198 to secure inventory that is more than 60 days out. I just don't like to do this method because there's always a good chance I can get it anyways and save myself the $198. However, I will pay the extra $198 to stay at Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve. It's my favorite resort in all of Orlando (and yes I've been to every DVC resort). There are only 84 units (so it's quiet) and the pool itself is amazing for both adults and kids.

Also, the 1 bedroom side of the lock off can get you into 2 bedrooms in other locations for cheap. I used mine this summer to stay in St. Thomas at "Marriott Frenchman's Cove" next to the "Wyndham Limetree" for around $1300 for the week.

The reason I am saying all of this on this thread is because Marriott weeks are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than Marriott Points and DVC points and are often overlooked by people "doing their research". I only own 50 DVC points because I have no desire to spend the money on having anything bigger because Marriott and Wyndham have poisoned me with how CHEAP they are for how NICE they are. In fact, I just listed my 100 DVC point reservation on Ebay to sell so I can use the money to buy another Marriott week, which I will then use to stay at DVC for half the price of owning DVC lol.

lotus921v

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham South Shore, Wyndham Bali Hai, Wyndham Shearwater, Worldmark, Regal Vistas at Massanutten, Marriott Grand Chateau
Wyndham, Marriott and DVC resale owner here,

I just want to say I'm glad I got my Wyndham and Marriott resales before I bought my 50 DVC points. I saved so much money!! I only use my DVC points to stay at the locations that I can't get with my Marriott week. I am cool with SSR, OKW, AKV and BWV (the ones that you can get on Interval International for half the price of owning DVC). My 50 points are just for the studio inventory I can only access with DVC points(Bay Lake, GF, Poly, Beach Club). With 6 people, it will be rediculously expensive owning DVC because in order to get onsite benefits for your party, you have to stay in a 2 bedroom.

Research adding on a "Platinum 2 bedroom lock off" at either "Marriott's Willow Ridge" or "Marriott Grand Chateau". Those are cheap to own and have low maintenance fees. You can deposit it into Interval and use the entire deposit to stay in a 2 bedroom at SSR and OKW (2 bedrooms are spotted semi frequently) for roughly $1900/week ($1500 MF + $219 exchange fee + $190 resort fee)

Alternatively, you can split the unit into 2 deposits (1 bedroom + studio) and get 2 weeks at the Marriotts in Orlando using Interval International.

Flexchange lets you exchange your studio into a 2 bedroom. Here is an example of a good Orlando Marriott right outside the Disney gate that I can see with my Marriott studio:

View attachment 69264

You can stay in this 2 bedroom for about $660/week using just the studio ($500 MF + $164 exchange fee) . Flexchange is the 60 day inventory. This Marriott gives you access to a pool complex that is better than every single DVC. Just google the "Marriott World Center" and you will see how amazing the onsite pool is. To get this deal, you just make a reservation for the dates you want to be in Orlando at Bonnet Creek and then check at the 60 day mark to see what good Marriott deals are available. If there's a good Marriott deal (which there almost always is), take it and cancel the Wyndham reservation. If you can't get a Marriott deal, use the Bonnet Creek reservation. You can also just pay an extra $198 to secure inventory that is more than 60 days out. I just don't like to do this method because there's always a good chance I can get it anyways and save myself the $198. However, I will pay the extra $198 to stay at Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve. It's my favorite resort in all of Orlando (and yes I've been to every DVC resort). There are only 84 units (so it's quiet) and the pool itself is amazing for both adults and kids.

Also, the 1 bedroom side of the lock off can get you into 2 bedrooms in other locations for cheap. I used mine this summer to stay in St. Thomas at "Marriott Frenchman's Cove" next to the "Wyndham Limetree" for around $1300 for the week.

The reason I am saying all of this on this thread is because Marriott weeks are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than Marriott Points and DVC points and are often overlooked by people "doing their research". I only own 50 DVC points because I have no desire to spend the money on having anything bigger because Marriott and Wyndham have poisoned me with how CHEAP they are for how NICE they are. In fact, I just listed my 100 DVC point reservation on Ebay to sell so I can use the money to buy another Marriott week, which I will then use to stay at DVC for half the price of owning DVC lol.

Absolutely incredible post. I bought a bunch of Wyndham resale and have been incredibly curious about the II inventory since I can’t see anything without having an account. You just spoonfed me some amazing info. How is II with letting guests use reservations? How long are your deposited weeks good for?

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
Absolutely incredible post. I bought a bunch of Wyndham resale and have been incredibly curious about the II inventory since I can’t see anything without having an account. You just spoonfed me some amazing info. How is II with letting guests use reservations? How long are your deposited weeks good for?
You can add guest certs for $80, but it's against II ToS to sell the exchange. If you just want to stay at the Marriotts in Orlando during non peak times, you can also do what I did and only get 50 DVC points at SSR and have access to the Getaway inventory.

I just prefer the lock off method because the studio side will get me into Lakeshore Reserve and the 1 bedroom side will get me into DVC. My DVC points are really honestly just for weekend trips for 1 or 2 nights. If I didn't live so close to Orlando, I wouldn't have bought DVC because there are enough amazing options with Wyndham and Marriott without having to spend ten of thousands upfront. My Wyndham points were only a few hundred bucks because I always bought loaded contracts. My Marriott was $1800.

lotus921v

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham South Shore, Wyndham Bali Hai, Wyndham Shearwater, Worldmark, Regal Vistas at Massanutten, Marriott Grand Chateau
You can add guest certs for $80, but it's against II ToS to sell the exchange. If you just want to stay at the Marriotts in Orlando during non peak times, you can also do what I did and only get 50 DVC points at SSR and have access to the Getaway inventory.

I just prefer the lock off method because the studio side will get me into Lakeshore Reserve and the 1 bedroom side will get me into DVC. My DVC points are really honestly just for weekend trips for 1 or 2 nights. If I didn't live so close to Orlando, I wouldn't have bought DVC because there are enough amazing options with Wyndham and Marriott without having to spend ten of thousands upfront. My Wyndham points were only a few hundred bucks because I always bought loaded contracts. My Marriott was $1800.

What’s the cheapest way to get access to the Getaway inventory?

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
Cheapest? IDk.
Best? Get a low MF Marriott 2 bedroom lock off as your way of joining the Marriott side. Marriott points are stupidly expensive like DVC.

lotus921v

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cheapest? IDk.
Best? Get a low MF Marriott 2 bedroom lock off as your way of joining the Marriott side. Marriott points are stupidly expensive like DVC.

Is the getaway similar to last call on RCI?

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score

Last year I adopted a Vacation Village Williamsburg 4brd EOYE for $1 from here on tug - owner paid closing and maintenance for the year was paid - this was done strictly for II access…

So far it’s working out well…for me…I locked off into (2) bedrooms - used 1 & deposited one into II and exchanged it for Hyatt Key west…

I also picked up a lowMF Marriott 2 bedroom trader on eBay EOYO for same thing but Marriott preference- locked off booked 1 side for me deposited other side to II and picked up a DVC unit

I haven’t had a chance to do the getaways yet - but my kids are making great use out of the last calls -