• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Former Wyndham Sales Rep Answering Questions

RowdyRiner

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a former Wyndham Sales Rep and I'm trying to fill my down time at work so I am here to answer any questions related to Wyndham Sales. I am not here to promote anything. I am just bored and wanting to answer truthfully. I gain nothing from this except the joy of clearing the air for some confused owners.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
I'm a former Wyndham Sales Rep and I'm trying to fill my down time at work so I am here to answer any questions related to Wyndham Sales. I am not here to promote anything. I am just bored and wanting to answer truthfully. I gain nothing from this except the joy of clearing the air for some confused owners.

Welcome to the TUG forums. Which Wyndham resort(s) did you work in and what was your role exactly? I think you will find, unlike on the Facebook groups, most TUGGERs are quite knowledgeable - generally more knowledgeable than many of the sales people that actually work for Wyndham based upon our experiences interacting with the sales people. The overall question that begs to be answered: when is Wyndham going to stop practicing cognitive dissonance with respect to their deceptive sales and marketing practices that repeatedly damages their owner/customer experiences and overall reputation? There has to be a better way...

RowdyRiner

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was an In-House Sales Rep for almost 3 years. The answer to that question is simply never. They only do what they have to disciplinary wise when the Real Estate Commission gets involved. As long as they're making money they do not care about deception until there is proof and they have to act on it.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
I was an In-House Sales Rep for almost 3 years. The answer to that question is simply never. They only do what they have to disciplinary wise when the Real Estate Commission gets involved. As long as they're making money they do not care about deception until there is proof and they have to act on it.

What is an in-house sales rep exactly? Is that telesales? Or local resort sales? How often does the Real Estate Commission intercede with disciplinary issues and how can owners facilitate this process to start to put more pressure on Wyndham to change their deceptive practices?

How are the sales reps compensated at Wyndham? 100% commission? Base plus commission? Does it vary dependent upon the type of sales position?

Does Wyndham actually train their sales reps to use the “daze and confuse” back of the napkin deceptive sales methods routinely employed? How do they get around elder abuse laws given a good subset of their ownership base is over the age after which these laws apply?

If you would like to produce a list of frequently asked questions yourself and provide clear guidance to help eliminate confusion - I can create a sticky thread that owners can reference with these questions and actual honest answers as opposed to the deceptive answers that are often employed instead. This would help serve as a point of reference for new owners that visit TUG looking for guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RowdyRiner

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is an in-house sales rep exactly? Is that telesales? Or local resort sales? How often does the Real Estate Commission intercede with disciplinary issues and how can owners facilitate this process to start to put more pressure on Wyndham to change their deceptive practices?

How are the sales reps compensated at Wyndham? 100% commission? Base plus commission? Does it vary dependent upon the type of sales position?

Does Wyndham actually train their sales reps to use the “daze and confuse” back of the napkin deceptive sales methods routinely employed? How do they get around elder abuse laws given a good subset of their ownership base is over the age after which these laws apply?

If you would like to produce a list of frequently asked questions yourself and provide clear guidance to help eliminate confusion - I can create a sticky thread that owners can reference with these questions and actual honest answers as opposed to the deceptive answers that are often employed instead. This would help serve as a point of reference for new owners that visit TUG looking for guidance.

In-House Sales only work with existing owners at the resorts. So they are the ones you meet for "Owner Updates" REC only intercedes when multiple complaints are pushed through Wyndham when people try to cancel after Rescission Period. Wyndham is so large that you really can't pressure them or REC to do anything. Reps are 100% commission but this year due to shortages of workers they offered base with smaller commission to new hires but they could choose which pay structure. "Wyndham Trainers" all train to compliance with REC. You actually get trained and taught when you hit sales floor and that is where you learn the Theatricality of it all usually from a top rep. If you don't make friends quick then you don't learn and you don't make money. Any sale to an owner that is born before a certain year (I don't recall the age) Wyndham does an interrogation call a few days after to see if they knew what they purchased but that's about it. Usually reps will coach that elderly owner before the call too so they say the right things and avoid sale being canceled.. If you want to make that list I'll answer when I have free time no problem.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Big thanks -- this is interesting.

What percentage of the total sales price does a rep typically make in the sale? What about the sales manager?

RowdyRiner

TUG Member
Reaction score

What percentage of the total sales price does a rep typically make in the sale? What about the sales manager?
Tiered structure starts at 6% as long as owner puts 30% down payment (Usually Wyndham Rewards Visa or VCC), if not it starts at 3%. Top Level is 15%. Sales Managers get percentage bonus off their whole team. I don't know their current percentages though. Average Top Reps usually make $200k+ a year and I know reps that have made over $700k a year consecutively as well.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

I am also curious as to the split between the sales rep and the closer. I recall a YouTube video that indicated the closer would get a higher percentage than the initial rep.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
Tiered structure starts at 6% as long as owner puts 30% down payment (Usually Wyndham Rewards Visa or VCC), if not it starts at 3%. Top Level is 15%. Sales Managers get percentage bonus off their whole team. I don't know their current percentages though. Average Top Reps usually make $200k+ a year and I know reps that have made over $700k a year consecutively as well.

That's pretty good coin overall. What is the percentage of "top reps" compared to the overall total sales reps? 10%? I'd imagine those making 700k per year reside in the larger sales centers like Bonnet Creek, National Harbor, Ocean Boulevard, etc.?

RowdyRiner

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am also curious as to the split between the sales rep and the closer. I recall a YouTube video that indicated the closer would get a higher percentage than the initial rep.
Used to be 50% split but they changed it to 70/30 split. The 70% goes to the rep that owner tour is assigned to and whoever helps gets 30%. That's why a lot of veteran sales reps don't close deals anymore because if it's a newer rep that closer will do majority of the work but only get 30% since it was someone else tour.

RowdyRiner

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's pretty good coin overall. What is the percentage of "top reps" compared to the overall total sales reps? 10%? I'd imagine those making 700k per year reside in the larger sales centers like Bonnet Creek, National Harbor, Ocean Boulevard, etc.?
There at least 5 heavy hitters at each center on average. Majority of top reps will be the ones making the $200k+ a year.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How long did it take you to size someone up on their knowledge?

I went to a presentation once and the guy told me a few minutes in "It's obvious I'm not going to sell you anything, but let's just chat for a bit and I'll let you guys out early". Sadly, I think my account got blacklisted because I have never been invited back.

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay
I've always been curious about the success rate of sales at these meetings. Do you have a ballpark figure for instance out of every ten owners attending a given meeting how many leave that day agreeing to buy more points? My guess would be 2 out of ten.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the most common objections the potential buyers (marks) raise and what are the typical counter arguments that sales people are trained to use?

My guess is these are the top five:
1) I/we can't afford it.
2) I/we don't have $20,000 (or whatever the cost is) right now.
3) I/we can buy the same thing resale for a fraction of the cost (see E-Bay, Craigslist, TUG, Red Week, etc.).
4) I/we can rent from existing owners for less than the annual MFs.
5) I/we don't travel very often.

I'm also guessing that objections numbers 1,2, and 5 are from those who are very unfamiliar with timesharing and numbers 3 and 4 more or less come from those who are very familiar with timesharing.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham

I went to a presentation once and the guy told me a few minutes in "It's obvious I'm not going to sell you anything, but let's just chat for a bit and I'll let you guys out early". Sadly, I think my account got blacklisted because I have never been invited back.
Which leads to another question. Do accounts get blacklisted if a salesperson determines there's no way this particular owner is going to buy? Conversely, are there owners that are great marks and their accounts are duly noted (or is that obvious anyways based on their purchase history)?

RowdyRiner

TUG Member
Reaction score

I was the same way. I knew in first 5 minutes.

RowdyRiner

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've always been curious about the success rate of sales at these meetings. Do you have a ballpark figure for instance out of every ten owners attending a given meeting how many leave that day agreeing to buy more points? My guess would be 2 out of ten.
20% Close Rate was a normal day.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
I was the same way. I knew in first 5 minutes.

I must say it is a very sad state of affairs if the sales qualification process is essentially tied to how gullible the customer actually is as opposed to whether the timeshare product is actually a good match based upon the actual customer’s vacation wants and needs. This basic fact proves why timeshare companies enjoy such miserable reputations with their customer base in general.

RowdyRiner

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the most common objections the potential buyers (marks) raise and what are the typical counter arguments that sales people are trained to use?

My guess is these are the top five:
1) I/we can't afford it.
2) I/we don't have $20,000 (or whatever the cost is) right now.
3) I/we can buy the same thing resale for a fraction of the cost (see E-Bay, Craigslist, TUG, Red Week, etc.).
4) I/we can rent from existing owners for less than the annual MFs.
5) I/we don't travel very often.

I'm also guessing that objections numbers 1,2, and 5 are from those who are very unfamiliar with timesharing and numbers 3 and 4 more or less come from those who are very familiar with timesharing.
Yes those are all the typical objections and here is typical response that starts the selling.

1) I/we can't afford it. Because you don't have the programs to offset cost that were offered last time you bought. Why didn't you take advantage when you could have?

2) I/we don't have $20,000 (or whatever the cost is) right now. You're already paying that. It's the same money.

3) I/we can buy the same thing resale for a fraction of the cost (see E-Bay, Craigslist, TUG, Red Week, etc.). You don't get VIP benefits with resale.

4) I/we can rent from existing owners for less than the annual MFs. Or you could rent yours and it pays for itself. Self-sustaining Ownership.

5) I/we don't travel very often. Then how are you here now if that's true?

The whole purpose/ process to sell to an owner is "Finding the pain". Make them feel they were sold wrong package before and show them how you can fix it without costing them anymore money.

RowdyRiner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which leads to another question. Do accounts get blacklisted if a salesperson determines there's no way this particular owner is going to buy? Conversely, are there owners that are great marks and their accounts are duly noted (or is that obvious anyways based on their purchase history)?
No. Only time you're not invited to an "Owner Update" is if you call corporate and request to be on DNG (Do Not Gift) list. I've sold to people who just bought a month prior and to people who haven't bought in 20 years.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I must say it is a very sad state of affairs if the sales qualification process is essentially tied to how gullible the customer actually is as opposed to whether the timeshare product is actually a good match based upon the actual customer’s vacation wants and needs. This basic fact proves why timeshare companies enjoy such miserable reputations with their customer base in general.

Never a wiser statement posted on TUG! I love this.

I am never invited anymore and glad about it @travelhacker You should count your lucky stars. I don't like being harassed while on vacation. I am glad to not get the calls from the "concierge" constantly during my stays.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Never a wiser statement posted on TUG! I love this.

I am never invited anymore and glad about it @travelhacker You should count your lucky stars. I don't like being harassed while on vacation. I am glad to not get the calls from the "concierge" constantly during my stays.
Yes! I travel mostly with Hyatt and frankly their offers aren’t as good. It’s really nice not to be bugged.

I was just invited to attend a Marriott presentation for a pretty decent award, so I may do that in the future. I am hoping to get some DP points after the Abound merge happens.