• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any Guess

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whats the thinking on the value of this; 1,000,000 points at Oceanside Pier, and is the stated mf ($5/1000) close

Last edited:

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Whats the thinking on the value of this; 1,000,000 points at Oceanside Pier, and is the stared mf ($5/1000) close

According to the MF spreadsheet, the MF is $5.05 so that part's legit. I'm not a good judge of value/cost, though.

This reminds me that I had a conversation with someone in a FB group a week or two ago who was looking at (not sure if he was the winner of) a Midtown 45 contract with an abnormally low listed MF. It had to have been either a mistake or a biennial - but he DM'ed me the estoppel and Wyndham listed it as annual. It had to be wrong given the history of MFs there, but someone paid a *lot* for it. Way too much.

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know whether or not ARP is important in the summer there. It might be for oceanfront, etc. I've booked there, and availability was fine, but I was not looking during summer.

I can't value it; I'd just be guessing. I saw Bonnet Creek clear about $10/K all-in for 300K in an open auction as a reference point when I was looking earlier today. Bonnet benefits from better name recognition, and the smaller contract is easier to sell, but it has higher fees (about $6.60 before program fee). Do with that what you will.

Last edited:

WManning

Reaction score
Whats the thinking on the value of this; 1,000,000 points at Oceanside Pier, and is the stared mf ($5/1000) close

I hear beauty is in the eye of the beholder. All kidding aside I feel the larger the contract the less its worth. Its easy to find someone to take a 154,000 point ownership for free if maintenance fees are less then $85 per month. To find someone willing to pay $2/1000 for resale points and pay $500 a month in maintenance fees will be tougher. Especially now that resale points have less value to VIP owners. Looks like a shill bidder helped run price up also.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hear beauty is in the eye of the beholder. All kidding aside I feel the larger the contract the less its worth. Its easy to find someone to take a 154,000 point ownership for free if maintenance fees are less then $85 per month. To find s.omeone willing to pay $2/1000 for resale points and pay $500 a month in maintenance fees will be tougher. Especially now that resale points have less value to VIP owners. Looks like a shill bidder helped run price up also.

a million point contract is no doubt a big contract, but a million point account, not so much. Maybe for a family where dad and mom get a week or two or three a year to vacation. But folks my age, especially with money, often travel for several months every year

the bidding is up to $3000 now. Shills dont bother me. I will come to a price Im willing to pay, make my bid and forget it

markb53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
Panama City Beach
Worldmark
I don't know whether or not ARP is important in the summer there. It might be for oceanfront, etc. I've booked there, and availability was fine, but I was not looking during summer.

From mid June to mid August you would usually need ARP and book past the 10 month point to get much of anything. Other than those 60 day it not difficult to book unless you want a 4BR presidential for 600,000 points for a week.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hear beauty is in the eye of the beholder. All kidding aside I feel the larger the contract the less its worth. Its easy to find someone to take a 154,000 point ownership for free if maintenance fees are less then $85 per month. To find someone willing to pay $2/1000 for resale points and pay $500 a month in maintenance fees will be tougher. Especially now that resale points have less value to VIP owners. Looks like a shill bidder helped run price up also.

I don't know how you can tell that there is a shill bidder. Some bidders think ebay functions like a Friday night auction and constantly bid until their limit is reached.

$3000 is cheap if someone wants arp in prime season.

I bought 2 out of 5 contracts on ebay from that seller and was very pleased with both deals. Modest price and fast efficient transfer. The last one I won in October and it closed with Wyndham in December with the current year's points in my account even though the points weren't to be available until the following year.

WManning

Reaction score
I don't know how you can tell that there is a shill bidder. Some bidders think ebay functions like a Friday night auction and constantly bid until their limit is reached.

I bought 2 out of 5 contracts on ebay from that seller and was very pleased with both deals. Modest price and fast efficient transfer. The last one I won in October and it closed with Wyndham in December with the current year's points in my account even though the points weren't to be available until the following year.
0 feedback is the tell. You ever notice how many are relisted?

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score

0 feedback tells me that the bidder is new at the game.

I bought my first contract from this seller about 6 years ago and my second last year. I've never noticed any phony sales with relisting. They just want to move the inventory.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to the MF spreadsheet, the MF is $5.05 so that part's legit.

Thanks for checking the mf for me.. I didnt realize that there was a spreadsheet like this..

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

If zero feedback is the tell, what does zero feed back tell you?

the fact is that this seller has sold over 490 items and has gotten feed back over half the time

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the more important observation is this:

Shills dont bother me. I will come to a price Im willing to pay, make my bid and forget it

Who cares if there are shills or not? Pick a price you're happy with and bid it. If you get it, you are happy because you got it for a price you were willing to pay. If you don't you are also happy because you didn't overpay for something. And, if it gets relisted, you get another bite at the apple. Fine.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

arp wont be important to me. So the only factor that is important is mf. Looking at that spreadsheet I’d say $5/1000 is below average and worth paying for. The question is of course, how much.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham will allow you to own contracts again?
That I don’t know ….yet. What I do know is I can’t rent
I was told that my wife could own but just like my first foray into timeshares she doesn’t know what I’m thinking yet

I planning to sell my house and move across the country to be close to my kid. I don’t need it yet but I’ll be been reminding her about how I changed her diapers 50 years ago and how she owes me.

I think a timeshare for a month or two. Between homes will. E better and cheaper than a hotel

I was going to bid on a small contract to see what happens, but then this million points comes up which is the size and mf I’ll be looking for came up and it got my curiosity aroused. I doubt that I’ll get
I think it will go over $5k and that’s more than I want to pay at this point.

WManning

Reaction score
That I don’t know ….yet. What I do know is I can’t rent
I was told that my wife could own but just like my first foray into timeshares she doesn’t know what I’m thinking yet

I planning to sell my house and move across the country to be close to my kid. I don’t need it yet but I’ll be been reminding her about how I changed her diapers 50 years ago and how she owes me.

I think a timeshare for a month or two. Between homes will. E better and cheaper than a hotel

I was going to bid on a small contract to see what happens, but then this million points comes up which is the size and mf I’ll be looking for came up and it got my curiosity aroused. I doubt that I’ll get
I think it will go over $5k and that’s more than I want to pay at this point.
If your going out west Worldmark has more resorts and is a better value IMO then Wyndham.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
If your going out west Worldmark has more resorts and is a better value IMO then Wyndham.

I know about worldmark, and Im real close to getting a worldmark contract too.

I dont agree that worldmark is the better value. I know things are different than when I owned and they have been improving things at worldmark resorts but Id still bet that the worldmark resorts typically dont measure up to Wyndham. But even if they do. The best price most folks can get on world mark is about 25 cents a credit.

With world mark the more you own, the better the mf. .. So in the interest of comparing apples and apples...
a 50.000 credit worldmark contract would cost about $12,500. mf at 8 cents a credit ($4000/yr) and that would get you 5 weeks at one of their legacy resorts each year

Ill use one of your 154000 point wyndham contracts that would cost nothing with mf of $85/mo Five of these would get you 5 weeks at one of Wyndhams legacy resorts .....so 770000 points, $0 purchase price and mf of $5000

Using 10 year amortization. the cost is about the same

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont agree that worldmark is the better value.
It definitely “depends” on the exact circumstances. Take the 1M points Oceanside Pier as an example for someone who might want to spend 5 summer weeks at that resort.

The million points plus the rental of 15,000 points from Wyndham gets 5 weeks in a 1 Bedroom Deluxe at 203,000 points/week. Using just the annual maintenance fee of $5690 is $1,138/week for the summer or $884/week for 5.7 weeks in the few “off-season” weeks, which oddly includes Christmas and New Years.

WorldMark at the same resort is Prime season all year – 8,000 credits/week or 40,000 credits for 5 weeks in a 1 Bedroom (no Deluxe option ).

A WorldMark member does not need to own the full 40,000 credits outright. Own 20,000 credits and rent up to 40,000 credits from other members, which can easily be had for $0.08/credit.

Maintenance fee on 20,000 credits is $1,750 +$1,600 for the 20k rented credits = $3,350 or $670/week.

There is an eBay auction for 20k WorldMark credits from a reputable seller that will sell (or not) in a few hours for likely under $4,000 (it did not attract any bidders the first time around).

It seems generally agreed the 1M Oceanside Pier in post #1 will sell for at least $4,000. So the purchase price is a wash between the two eBay auctions.

Prime season at $670/week in WorldMark versus $1,138/week with Club Wyndham at the same destination (there is less than a mile separating the two resorts)? If it were me wanting to vacation at Oceanside Pier San Diego, the better value would be obvious.

Last edited:

geerlijd

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shanty Creek Vacation Club
WorldMark
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Canterbury
Wynhdam South Shore
WM Oceanside and Club Wyndham Oceanside Pier are two separate resorts, with Club Wyndham in a better location, so it's not exactly apples to apples comparison. I would expect most guests are willing to pay more for Club Wyndham's location.
e371ffb0b1d73c9135c414bcf6db0e54.jpg

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
WM Oceanside and Club Wyndham Oceanside Pier are two separate resorts, with Club Wyndham in a better location, so it's not exactly apples to apples comparison. I would expect most guests are willing to pay more for Club Wyndham's location.

I am definitely not one of those who would pay an extra $470/week to stay at Club Wyndham.

WManning

Reaction score
It definitely “depends” on the exact circumstances. Take the 1M points Oceanside Pier as an example for someone who might want to spend 5 summer weeks at that resort.

The million points plus the rental of 15,000 points from Wyndham gets 5 weeks in a 1 Bedroom Deluxe at 203,000 points/week. Using just the annual maintenance fee of $5690 is $1,138/week for the summer or $884/week for 5.7 weeks in the few “off-season” weeks, which oddly includes Christmas and New Years.

WorldMark at the same resort is Prime season all year – 8,000 credits/week or 40,000 credits for 5 weeks in a 1 Bedroom (no Deluxe option ).

A WorldMark member does not need to own the full 40,000 credits outright. Own 20,000 credits and rent up to 40,000 credits from other members, which can easily be had for $0.08/credit.

Maintenance fee on 20,000 credits is $1,750 +$1,600 for the 20k rented credits = $3,350 or $670/week.

There is an eBay auction for 20k WorldMark credits from a reputable seller that will sell (or not) in a few hours for likely under $4,000 (it did not attract any bidders the first time around).

It seems generally agreed the 1M Oceanside Pier in post #1 will sell for at least $4,000. So the purchase price is a wash between the two eBay auctions.

Prime season at $670/week in WorldMark versus $1,138/week with Club Wyndham at the same destination (there is less than a mile separating the two resorts)? If it were me wanting to vacation at Oceanside Pier San Diego, the better value would be obvious.
Not to mention bonus time and the other cash options which costs less then paying maintenance fees. No house keeping credits or hk fees to worry about either when booking BT, IS or MM

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am definitely not one of those who would pay an extra $470/week to stay at Club Wyndham.

No me neither, . I own a Ford and a Honda, not a Lincoln and an Acura but lots of Lincolns and Acuras are sold every year... Someone sees value there,

Thats why I tried to compare apples to apples ie Wyndham legacy resorts to Worldmarks 154000 point weeks to 10000 credit weeks. sometimes they are identical units When it comes to money, it seems to me that Wyndhan is generally cheaper to buy, and worldmark is cheaper to own,

Not to mention bonus time and the other cash options which costs less then paying maintenance fees. No house keeping credits or hk fees to worry about either when booking BT, IS or MM

Which is my point, exactly, Worldmark is cheaper to own

The bigger question is where do you want to spend your vacation time. When I want to visit my family in Maryland, lobby Congress, or attend an alumni ecent at my high school there is no choice, I gotta buy Wyndham, or sleep on my brothers couch

When I disagreed with your assessment that worldmark offers the better value, I didnt mean to say that Wyndham offered the better value. What I should have don is parrott yo and say value is in the eye of the beholder

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

That ability to rent in credits is a great feature, in this case 20000 can equal 60000 and in the years you dont need to rent in those additional credits, you dont have to pay for them

If we are talking about the same auction, I know the seller. he is indeed, reputable. But you need to read his full ad, Beyond the winning bid an additional $2500 is due at closing so your initial investment will be closer to $6500... Same value it will just cost more

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
If we are talking about the same auction, I know the seller. he is indeed, reputable. But you need to read his full ad, Beyond the winning bid an additional $2500 is due at closing so your initial investment will be closer to $6500... Same value it will just cost more
The auction I looked at sold for less than $4,000 -- $3,595.

Add in $199 closing and $299 transfer fee = $4,093. The buyer is paying $1,195 for 20k credits valued at either $1,745.40 (the current maintenance fees on 20k) or $1,600 (the $0.08/credit rental rate) -- a savings of $405 or $550. $4,093 - $405 = $3,688 actual purchase price. The other $727.25 is a prepayment of the Sept. - Jan. maintenance fees. The new owner will get the use of the credits associated with those maintenance fees, so it is no different than if they became an owner the moment the auction ended (which they did, it will just take a few months for the owner to gain access to the WorldMark system). All the "additional" costs did was save the new owner from having to rent-in 20k credits to book their 5 weeks at WorldMark Oceanside or wherever they want in the WorldMark system the moment the transfer is officially completed.