• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Hawaii Timeshare(s)

anthonycasta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VRI
Hello!

After visiting a few timeshare properties in Hawaii, I realized that I want to own at Marriott. I have be searching for and identified a few on the resale market, my question is, how well do the Marriott timeshares trade for each other? If I purchased Marriott Maui Ocean Club would it be an easy trade for Marriott Waikoloa Ocean Club or Marriott Kauai Beach Club or even Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club? I was already advised to only purchase an ocean view. I would only be interested in trading for Marriott properties.

I am looking at deeded weeks, would I have to exchange though II, or is there a Marriott platform that only trades Marriott?

What is the best Marriott Vacation Club on Hawaii?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
You will need to exchange via II. If your primary goal is to exchange and not use your deeded week, then it's a lot more economical to buy a trader week, which is a lot cheaper to buy, and also with a lot less expensive maintenance fees, than a Hawaii week, while it trades basically the same.

Buy a Hawaii week only if you intend to use it every time, or at least most of the time.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
You can buy a week on Maui at Marriott's Lahaina and Napili Towers, preferably oceanfront. Use it some years, rent it other years and use that money to rent Waiohai or Ko Olina. I wouldn't trade with II.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
When you deposit into Interval, you lose any view preference. So if you were to deposit an OV Ko Olina unit, you would have no view preference at MOC, Waiohai, etc.

Both pieces of advice above mine are good alternatives.

anthonycasta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VRI
You will need to exchange via II. If your primary goal is to exchange and not use your deeded week, then it's a lot more economical to buy a trader week, which is a lot cheaper to buy, and also with a lot less expensive maintenance fees, than a Hawaii week, while it trades basically the same.

Buy a Hawaii week only if you intend to use it every time, or at least most of the time.

When you say trader week, do you have a suggestion? I have a trader week through VRI, and only seem to have access to a few Marriott Properties, Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Canyon Villas, and only once saw a trade for Aruba Surf Club....

The intention is to use if for Hawaii and only trade it for another Marriott Hawaii resort when we want to see a different island. .

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
There is a Marriott-to-Marriott preference in Interval, so even a mediocre Marriott trader will snag a Marriott Hawaii deposit before a high end Hyatt or similar.

If you are planning to trade at least half of the time, the more economical approach would be to buy a Marriott unit here on the Mainland that can be split into two pieces, deposit them, and trade up.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
When you say trader week, do you have a suggestion? I have a trader week through VRI, and only seem to have access to a few Marriott Properties, Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Canyon Villas, and only once saw a trade for Aruba Surf Club....

The intention is to use if for Hawaii and only trade it for another Marriott Hawaii resort when we want to see a different island. .

Marriott Grand Chateau is a great trader. There are others as well.

Another idea is to buy an every-other-year ocean view Marriott in Hawaii to use only, and then buy a trader Marriott to trade.

anthonycasta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VRI
There is a Marriott-to-Marriott preference in Interval, so even a mediocre Marriott trader will snag a Marriott Hawaii deposit before a high end Hyatt or similar.

If you are planning to trade at least half of the time, the more economical approach would be to buy a Marriott unit here on the Mainland that can be split into two pieces, deposit them, and trade up.

I am very green when it comes to timesharing, when you say "can be split into two pieces" are you suggesting purchasing a 2br lockoff?

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
I am very green when it comes to timesharing, when you say "can be split into two pieces" are you suggesting purchasing a 2br lockoff?
My 2BR Desert Springs white week lockoff gets me 2 weeks in Hawaii every year. Best deal around, but you need a somewhat flexible schedule.

Last edited:

anthonycasta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VRI
If

My 2BR Desert Springs white week lockoff gets me 2 weeks in Hawaii every year. Best deal around, but you need a somewhat flexible schedule.
And your trading that through II?

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
And your trading that through II?
Yes I’ve been trading through Interval into Hawaii for 7 or 8 years, mostly Maui and Ko Olina. Availability is generally shoulder season Apr/May and Sep/Oct, sometimes is 4 or 5 months ahead, sometimes it’s 60 or 90 days, thus you have to be flexible. I’ve gotten ocean front, ocean view and island view, just depends. I realistically know through Interval that I can’t pick my own dates a year out, and it’s mostly luck to get a nice view, so I jumped in last year and bought an ocean front week in Maui. I would never ever ever trade that away into Interval. It’s much too valuable to use that way.

anthonycasta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VRI
Yes I’ve been trading through Interval into Hawaii for 7 or 8 years, mostly Maui and Ko Olina. Availability is generally shoulder season Apr/May and Sep/Oct, sometimes is 4 or 5 months ahead, sometimes it’s 60 or 90 days, thus you have to be flexible. I’ve gotten ocean front, ocean view and island view, just depends. I realistically know through Interval that I can’t pick my own dates a year out, and it’s mostly luck to get a nice view, so I jumped in last year and bought an ocean front week in Maui. I would never ever ever trade that away into Interval. It’s much too valuable to use that way.

Maui Ocean Club?

That's one I'm considering, however, it's not the Lahaina or Napili Towers, I think it's one of those 1br partial kitchen, oceanview EOYE, $1200 / yr MF.

Honestly, is the extra $7000 worth the tower? .. where did you find yours?

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
Yes majority of our Maui trades were to MOC. I think we’ve been in every tower and all the view categories. Then during COVID, each of the Westin properties showed up, and I had always heard about them, but never stayed, so I booked a week in each. I actually met up with a fellow TUG’er in his WKORV ocean front villa, and that was it, there was no going back. We went to a presentation, bought a week, rescinded before we left, then came home and bought resale off Redweek. Best decision ever. If I were looking at MOC, I would pay the extra $7,000 for the new tower.

anthonycasta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VRI
Yes majority of our Maui trades were to MOC. I think we’ve been in every tower and all the view categories. Then during COVID, each of the Westin properties showed up, and I had always heard about them, but never stayed, so I booked a week in each. I actually met up with a fellow TUG’er in his WKORV ocean front villa, and that was it, there was no going back. We went to a presentation, bought a week, rescinded before we left, then came home and bought resale off Redweek. Best decision ever. If I were looking at MOC, I would pay the extra $7,000 for the new tower.

Do you know offhand what the difference is between the 3? Would you mind sharing which tower your in?

tahoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Timber Lodge
If I purchased Marriott Maui Ocean Club would it be an easy trade for Marriott Waikoloa Ocean Club or Marriott Kauai Beach Club or even Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club? I was already advised to only purchase an ocean view.

If I recall correctly, Waikoloa is DC points only. I don't think there are weeks owners to trade with.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
If I recall correctly, Waikoloa is DC points only. I don't think there are weeks owners to trade with.

I've seen Marriott Waikoloa weeks available on Interval.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you're too early in the game to make any purchases based on what you've stated. You need more information and a better understanding on exchanging prior to making any purchase. This will take you a few months to accumulate with active investigation. Once you have that fund of knowledge to make a good decision, here's how I'd respond to the question.

First, I'd ask how often you wanted to go, how flexible you are, how well ahead you can plan your vacations, what size unit you need and your budget. If you're VERY flexible meaning you can travel any time of the year, don't need a 2 BR and can plan at least a year out; I'd have a completely different answer than someone needed a 2 BR needing to travel at school breaks. If you are that flexible, then a good "trader Marriott" could easily get you 2 weeks a year, if less so then likely not consistently. If you're very inflexible and plan to go most years, then just owning what you want/need might be best though that is a far more expensive direction and there are in between options.

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not true. You can trade weeks. I have. This resort has a lot of weeks owners.
Are you thinking of the one on the Big Island? I think you're correct about that one. I was just there and already forgot the name. I used points...it's timeshare/hotel combined, sort of like KBC is.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you thinking of the one on the Big Island? I think you're correct about that one. I was just there and already forgot the name. I used points...it's timeshare/hotel combined, sort of like KBC is.
Waikoloa *is* the one on the Big Island. Maybe you are thinking of Waiohai on Kauai?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
After visiting a few timeshare properties in Hawaii, I realized that I want to own at Marriott...
I second @Dean 's comment that without knowing how flexible you are about timeframe and size of unit it is difficult to give advice. And impossible to suggest a 'best' Hawaiian resort without knowing what you want to do and see.

We visit Hawaii frequently - my wife went to UH Manoa and we still have friends and family on O'ahu. Once we became a family that needed bedrooms for the kids, we bought 2BR Every Other Year (EOY) weeks at Waiohai and Maui Ocean Club because we are constrained by the school vacation calendar. Over the years we have also stayed at Kauai Beach Club and Ko Olina using DPs. We haven't stayed in MVC's Waikoloa hotel conversion on the Big Island simply because we also own Hilton and stay at their Waikoloa resorts.

For us II required more flexibility than we have - deeded weeks and DPs suit our needs. But if you are a couple that can travel to Hawaii whenever availability pops up, buying a reasonable lock-off trader would be less expensive.

anthonycasta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VRI
I second @Dean 's comment that without knowing how flexible you are about timeframe and size of unit it is difficult to give advice. And impossible to suggest a 'best' Hawaiian resort without knowing what you want to do and see.

We visit Hawaii frequently - my wife went to UH Manoa and we still have friends and family on O'ahu. Once we became a family that needed bedrooms for the kids, we bought 2BR Every Other Year (EOY) weeks at Waiohai and Maui Ocean Club because we are constrained by the school vacation calendar. Over the years we have also stayed at Kauai Beach Club and Ko Olina using DPs. We haven't stayed in MVC's Waikoloa hotel conversion on the Big Island simply because we also own Hilton and stay at their Waikoloa resorts.

For us II required more flexibility than we have - deeded weeks and DPs suit our needs. But if you are a couple that can travel to Hawaii whenever availability pops up, buying a reasonable lock-off trader would be less expensive.

After doing a lot more research I realize my question was kind of vague! You are all right the world of timesharing is a whole another universe!

However with that said here are some additional details:

Our schedule can be quite flexible, and I typically plan 9 months to 12 months in advance, I booked a trade to a diamond resort in Maui 15 months in advance!

A two-bedroom is not necessary, a one-bedroom is nice but we could potentially stay in a studio if it was the resort we wanted. Currently we own a one bedroom VRI that we use as a trader but realize we don't get the resort amenities we want with the trader we have now. The thought is to use the one we currently own to trade to places like Cancun and even Aruba.

If what I have been researching is correct it seems like we will be able to accomplish trading into a MVC in Hawaii by purchasing Marriott's Grand chateau and being extremely flexible.

tahoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Timber Lodge
I've seen Marriott Waikoloa weeks available on Interval.

Waikoloa *is* the one on the Big Island. Maybe you are thinking of Waiohai on Kauai?

Waikoloa is the hotel conversion on the Big Island, and paired with a Marriot hotel. (I guess similar to the old KBC setup.)
Waiohai is the timeshare in Poipu on Kauai. Wonderful location, the view per category can vary greatly.

I thought Waikoloa timeshare opened post-DC, but it sounds like weeks still end up in Interval.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
After doing a lot more research I realize my question was kind of vague! You are all right the world of timesharing is a whole another universe!

However with that said here are some additional details:

Our schedule can be quite flexible, and I typically plan 9 months to 12 months in advance, I booked a trade to a diamond resort in Maui 15 months in advance!

A two-bedroom is not necessary, a one-bedroom is nice but we could potentially stay in a studio if it was the resort we wanted. Currently we own a one bedroom VRI that we use as a trader but realize we don't get the resort amenities we want with the trader we have now. The thought is to use the one we currently own to trade to places like Cancun and even Aruba.

If what I have been researching is correct it seems like we will be able to accomplish trading into a MVC in Hawaii by purchasing Marriott's Grand chateau and being extremely flexible.
IF you can do at lower demand times and in a 1 BR planning a year out or more, then I would not buy HI, I would buy a "trader". My criteria for a trading Marriott includes lock off option, relatively lower fees, reasonably cheap to buying good to very good trade power then one has to reserve a top week and deposit early (a year out or more). To me that gives me 5 resorts on the A list. Manor Club, Grande Vista, Harbour Lake, Grande Chateau and Willow Ridge all Platinum. Of those MC would be my least desirable. One might also add CA desert Gold or Platinum but the fees are higher, might be worth it if one can buy a Platinum week for a low price, likely not for Gold unless one would use it part of the time. Then reserve the top week paying the lock off fee, deposit it and set up 2 searches that are as broad as possible. Once you match one week, change your second search to match the week before and after. Don't worry if you match both at the same time (same day), you can cancel one within 24 hrs of the match and lose nothing. Just choose the match that you like best or the deposit you'd rather get back and restart your search.

Of those 5 GV will give you slightly higher trade power that might or might not make any difference in this situation, WR will have the lowest fees with GC second. If you think you might buy other Marriott's or enroll in the future, then that might make different options better. GV has the FL club options. GC will have the higher points if enrolled and the broadest Platinum season.

anthonycasta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VRI
IF you can do at lower demand times and in a 1 BR planning a year out or more, then I would not buy HI, I would buy a "trader". My criteria for a trading Marriott includes lock off option, relatively lower fees, reasonably cheap to buying good to very good trade power then one has to reserve a top week and deposit early (a year out or more). To me that gives me 5 resorts on the A list. Manor Club, Grande Vista, Harbour Lake, Grande Chateau and Willow Ridge all Platinum. Of those MC would be my least desirable. One might also add CA desert Gold or Platinum but the fees are higher, might be worth it if one can buy a Platinum week for a low price, likely not for Gold unless one would use it part of the time. Then reserve the top week paying the lock off fee, deposit it and set up 2 searches that are as broad as possible. Once you match one week, change your second search to match the week before and after. Don't worry if you match both at the same time (same day), you can cancel one within 24 hrs of the match and lose nothing. Just choose the match that you like best or the deposit you'd rather get back and restart your search.

Of those 5 GV will give you slightly higher trade power that might or might not make any difference in this situation, WR will have the lowest fees with GC second. If you think you might buy other Marriott's or enroll in the future, then that might make different options better. GV has the FL club options. GC will have the higher points if enrolled and the broadest Platinum season.

Wow!! You certainly have that down to a science! From my research I seem to like the traditional weeks over points. I do like the idea of the Grand Chateau, looking on redweek as of right now it seems to be the only one with EOY usage. Other than redweek or ebay do you have any other favorite resale sites? SMTN seems to have some absorbent fees for closing and some other bs membership!

Thank you for all of your knowledge

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow!! You certainly have that down to a science! From my research I seem to like the traditional weeks over points. I do like the idea of the Grand Chateau, looking on redweek as of right now it seems to be the only one with EOY usage. Other than redweek or ebay do you have any other favorite resale sites? SMTN seems to have some absorbent fees for closing and some other bs membership!

Thank you for all of your knowledge
Those are the main areas I look at but then I'm not in active acquisition mode like you are. I'm not a huge fan of EOY ownerships even though I do have a couple. Usually the price difference between EY & EOY is not big enough to make it worthwhile. You'll still have the II membership costs EY anyway. I'm OK with EOY just don't limit yourself by ignoring EY options. You can certainly consider several options then take the one that comes along first and fits into your parameters. If there's one you'll use, that's a major plus. The one thing about EOY is they can sometimes be easier to get through ROFR.