• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

At Pacific Grove Plaza Resort now

Greg G

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Got in late Friday on a flight into Monterey regional airport. Flight was nice and got to see some pretty mountain scenery as we were close to landing.
20220610_174528.jpg
20220610_174545.jpg

Got rental car and finally got in to the resort at around 7pm picking up our checkin packet from the lock box as it was an after office hours checkin. Unit D16 penthouse unit is really a great unit. I was amazed at how big it was for a 1 bedroom (almost 1200 sqft I think). Beautiful expansive views of Monterey Bay from this unit. Deck is big.

IMG_9552.JPG
IMG_9555.JPG

So was worried a bit about how warm it would get in the unit with no AC but with two windows open for cross breezes it can get really cool quickly in our unit. While in the C level hallway I did notice some units facing 17th st on the C floor ( sun rising side) had their doors slightly ajar which I assume was to get airflow.
Parking in the under resort gated lot was slightly tight but still good. Very secure, both getting into the lot and getting the elevator to operate (need key card to get elevator at parking lot level to operate). Like that this resort is small with only 16 units in it. Meet an owner and had a nice chat. Living room, dining room of unit is all open which makes it very spacious. Only negative is that the full bathroom vanity area , which is a huge 2 sink area, does not have a door between it and the bedroom which would have been nice (while I'm sleeping in late, my wife can use that vanity area without disturbing me). The unit does have a 1/2 bath as well, which is very convenient, but not very much counter space.

Had a nice walk down to Lovers Point and then along the Monterey coastal trail down to aquarium, and back yesterday. Very nice trail (walking and biking trail), and great scenery. Got to see the seals at Seal Harbor. Boy Lovers Point beach was packed and so was parking which we didn't care since we walked from the resort. I assume it was packed due to weekend locals, and such. Neat that people bring their grills and have a nice outing in the Lovers Point park area. Lots of shaded areas there.
Wife got a little sunburn on our walk, so staying in today

This is a hidden gem of a resort in my opinion.

sunski

Reaction score
It's supposed to be foggy and somewhat cold still in Monterey this time of year. "June Gloom" But as climates are changing, you got an unusually warm weekend, hence the crowd at the beach, trying to avoid the heat.

I'm curious, did you get this as a wait list request or via open inventory? Assuming you traded via II/RCI that is

Enjoy your stay!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
DW and I have long had a soft spot in our hearts for the Monterey Coast. Earlier in our marriage we had opportunities for pleasurable and memorable stays in Pacific Grove.

PGP is a place I've had on my radar since. About 20 years ago I was actively looking for resale opportunities at PGP, before deciding it just didn't fit as an ownership option.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Pacific Grove is the best kept secret on the Monterey Peninsula. Maybe not quite a secret for TUGGERs in the know.

Even though I have lived in Hawaii for 16 years, Pacific Grove and Pacific Grove Plaza (I am an owner) are my "happy place" . We have been coming here since 1988 and have been owners since 2000. We normally fly into Monterey airport, pick up a rental car and park it in the garage until it is time to leave. Everything we need is within walking distance and when walking into downtown Monterey, it is always a treat to stop at Paris Bakery Café for a treat before continuing on.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Dh and I spent our honeymoon in Carmel and for quite a few years we'd return for our anniversary. Carmel was the one place I wanted to make sure we visited before we moved from California to New Mexico. We've returned only once since we moved. It's time for another return visit.

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
It's supposed to be foggy and somewhat cold still in Monterey this time of year. "June Gloom" But as climates are changing, you got an unusually warm weekend, hence the crowd at the beach, trying to avoid the heat.

I'm curious, did you get this as a wait list request or via open inventory? Assuming you traded via II/RCI that is

Yes, Friday was around 75 high sunny, Saturday around 72 I think, and sunny. Today its overcast and around 70 or so. The rest of the week is suppose to be in mid to high 60s I think, and sunny. Been a long time since I've flown into an airport at a gate that didn't have a jet bridge into the airport. Had to walk down a ramp to the tarmac and into the airport this time. I'm not complaining as it was a short 20 min drive to the resort (mainly due to lower speed limits in town), compared to a much longer drive from LAX or where ever. Heck the Monterey airport is even smaller than our Eastern Iowa Airport in Cedar Rapids IA.

This exchange was an on-going exchange request I put in with II. I think it was about 6 months after I put in a request a year or so in advance when I got it.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Pacific Grove is the best kept secret on the Monterey Peninsula. Maybe not quite a secret for TUGGERs in the know.
Another well-kept secret are the resorts located on the Ventura coast near Oxnard.

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Another well-kept secret are the resorts located on the Ventura coast near Oxnard.

Yep, have stayed at Mandalay Shores Resort as well and I remember you commenting that it was a hidden secret/gem as well which I definitely agreed with.

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Interesting mural along the Monterey coastal trail
QV8jS3kZ-2cx9V1Pru9LYT5zdMg1UJmuHRa29wAaGFrFveWhlolABkCU4aPjGWdgAxqpBBvUUMIWxGFNcvQA_z8ueT7_vef6Fj8VxCWEKnEqiNCQC5Na1q_BYewRo_6WpkoIq-hAK2c=w2400

GVkYy-ZFx5QbaswAhvyWVVfSTTqGA_6Eo4SDSUW7-eIZU-d9tsEQrhLozQzxHiub8YSZ90GktI507jSAw2Ii5ugTsA4RyDZ2Lu6UwYDEMzCLPl-uVHrpBpxon5e208SyLvkVlOfE89Q=w2400

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never stayed at this resort, but have stayed in Pacific Grove and really liked the location and the town itself. So walkable, which is a big plus when I am on vacation. And seeing a raft of otters right from the beach trail was really fun.

I stayed at a friend’s house while there, which has been in her family since the early 1940’s. Her grandfather and great grandfather started building it for the grandfather and his new bride. The grandfather was drafted and killed in WWII and never got to see the house finished, or live in the house or see his only child. His widow lived there until she died. They still have a lot of the original furnishings in the house.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Big thumbs up for another place I care about. I was born in Monterey, and we lived in Pacific Grove till I was about four years old. My earliest memories are about living there. Always enjoy going back to see it.

Dave

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
DW and I watched the Miracle on Ice while staying in a comfy motel in Pacific Grove. During this visit, she was pregnant with child #3. As I recall, the motel was the Monarch Butterfly Inn, which doesn't seem to exist now.

That was 40 years ago. At that time we loved Pacific Grove, because it wasn't as touristy as Monterey, and was a lot cheaper than either Monterey or Carmel. The motels in Pacific Grove were 1950s-1960s style, with a central check-in office, and individual buildings of two to four units. We would walk down to the Lighthouse and watch the sun set.

travelove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's Resort
What an amazing place. Thanks for sharing. enjoy our vacation

sunski

Reaction score
PG is such a charming town and much more my speed than Carmel by the Sea or Monterey, even though those are nice to visit too.

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Went along the ocean view road and then to Point Lobos State Nature Reserve yesterday. Wanted to get on the grounds of the Point Pinos lighthouse but darned if it is only open Sat and Sun, so only got pics from the gate. Point Lobos was packed parking wise so took a bit to find a space (people even parking out on Highway 1). Seems that its better to go later in the afternoon as when we left spaces had free up. Really beautiful park. Only got to Whalers Cove and the South Shore trail around Sea Lion point.

Today we went south along the PCH just taking in the views and stopping at scenic points that included Bixby Bridge, Little Sur River Beach view point, the town of Big Sur, and McWay falls in Julia Pfeiffer State park south of the town of Big Sur. Just spectacular coastal scenery. I was lazy in that I didn't use my polarizing filter so shots early in the day a little washed out and will need some touchup. Unbelievably windy along most of the coast. Parking again was packed at Bixby Bridge and McWay Falls. Got to McWay falls around 3pm. The McWay falls parking entrance indicated parking lot full but dummy me decided to go in to see if I could snag a spot as someone pulled out, instead of trying to park on the coast side of PCH a little further down. I did but it took probably 15 - 20 minutes to get it. McWay falls payed parking is a nightmare with angled parking, a narrow 2 car width road right up against the angled parking, and people circling around looking for spots. However, McWay falls is spectacular.
Wow that PCH is really a curvy road along the coast in areas.

0-IHJQzsA1JJkyC1eX-Zf7Sb-1j3AAXccCC3zZQJqBPQYn06IZ_-hR3BU_1BnoGn5IgmT6auXNH5-f5A5AeWZMOBfc7shtfYqlUxHQgXOhYSA-RdH5C2F-AqB8BB13WKYz36ICHU2ug=w2400

GSFwkS6XKE5rhwItp_dlqVesa1i_O-isUi9rEo8Gy0UBgJy1LVmuQ_Yn5kwHnoIa05ohHRPZ04vumVPz7a2VVtqzjBz19NeMp39Bl7tH6vPTVB79F-FA_SU2lCqhelZvQgcr9fksur0=w2400
zZ5S7_rucg88mE1soC39v5HrQyqbaV9nJT89a8g4ziZy4UCrRaNAu3Ulie0wGYtTesx_3rSZmv_pCeyM0RKvYBwj1JD9wylFYVWIU-YJeeTUNdna3DS9CryPOVqiQ_Y7EEXUnB00sM4=w2400
LMS8I29L3EgcAnHcKxSr5wk_YVP7_tDgp9MZh0_L5c76CmjhK-FyJflcPJcQOqLRPhKViDimtxKUqGrDPE7LJwiQS4USS6YitpHwGZ8Ksf0lXwohLV0gVWDHwBsMFqZUjFuFyv07N8g=w2400
JgXLgGnudpNvyoG4l1qvkMQO2ULgq6EhM9T1jgK3Y_mpUSX-CXoi41NEyOIlHlM_YqLggzqTJUqeVjluS53rZnPdqtmIRMudb3rq0bmzg10EIZHEmshmaKQg5UY6fJrXBPHu6EQDn_s=w2400
cF682W8q6I1_InNKVqBOZSOmJ2IhnMBz2JA9ZiJnlp6TtNWiJBrlPvmUrCObW5N7TLcfcWqITaO939mkUrMXijSdaIMe1fTqRk8_I9S2giK-ZkWhTNANecAsySNsx5hpkzBj5sxXGdg=w2400
qaprqB7wsmBSYiOJJdZIvEFdKGrkKi2VcKW-T21xPt_aLla578HgAKSJeZzkxt5u0mZAYPKYsix6EjZjPBYRcH45lau2ZSruV7hoZ2SEyCvAFijyTSQvWz30bEom6hXCZFsNdq_f4tk=w2400
uO3BO_-Zpi1XdHPcIw4dW9-5XyReuY5mGwnoZadbGMXCXoqv85GgKWhmSVyQAAWxXZjYKBepYgEO5lnTOEFVNnmo6p4o1DCE9HbG7qQQeRMrpVqm0CpQL_XqctONpyr0w505yKt9OMU=w2400
BjfWZ_I1HN4bJ1bHFGDMi2vV61oHdTkG9dv9-X46X9Eh2jbaptSr6XD5s1tAVysAFdNZX7S5KmcKpzUg0zfIoC7nTOvdrQvpvPVSjTX3NX2ESTSqidXO2lcwGkY6Gej9RSYpTrmEwc4=w2400
YAKJjiRgvWeLBYAmbbwAOPDSRUUFQJQp8Z8uHYJl8iZ59iTugtUs1iHvObYJjprVYKZ5oxSVGfBMf1vNyNkKOgSoucrdHwyprbX1e9P54S8kLVMWNmx2RJXNqdbA8tAy-AH4OQb3Zxw=w2400
STMDrmADc6gY1TwCPu7Q7mTxi8MsT9fX5Gws-9_Rxzmhsjua30ssdGwphTiODv0jy3wVL2P4pj84sWPq-H31D54K_jK4q2jejTBnemyZJGl_yHfPPO_xheQ2DR8FmAmBq8S00FvhqFU=w2400

Last edited:

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Ate at Monterey Fish House tonight. Very good. Got back from our PCH day trip right at 5pm when it opens up for dinner so got in without a problem (they don't take reservations).

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Pictures from my trip, although I don't think they do the spectacular coastline from Pacific Grove to 11 miles past Big Sur justice (select the 3 vertical dots at the top right and click on "Slideshow". Should be a full screen slideshow). I only saw a fraction of what Monterey and that area has to offer so will definitely have to return. Did not do 17 mile drive, or the Aquarium this time, instead I mainly concentrated on the coastline to the south.

Monterey CA area

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do all units have an ocean view.?
Just got an exchange here thru Trading Places for next July. Unfortunately, the dates may conflict with something else and I may have to give it up.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Do all units have an ocean view.?
Just got an exchange here thru Trading Places for next July. Unfortunately, the dates may conflict with something else and I may have to give it up.
Not all units have an ocean view - there are only 16 units in total (8 1 bedroom/8 2 bedroom). Do you know which unit you were assigned?

Oceanview Units:
B-1/B-2/B-3/B-4/D-15/D-16

Some of other units have a slight ocean view from the balcony.

Hope this helps - I would definitely not hold an ocean view against staying at this property.

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Hope this helps - I would definitely not hold an ocean view against staying at this property.

Definitely agree. This resort is well located to restaurants, a short 2 block walk to the beach on the bay, Monterey Bay Coastal Trail, and more.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Confirmation from trading places does not have a unit number. Not 100% sure I will be using it but I can cancel for only a $100 fee and get my week back to do another exchange so decided to confirm the unit for now. I have too many timeshare exchanges and home weeks for next year and doubt I will be able to use them all.

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
Really gorgeous photos, We never knew about Pacific Grove Plaza Resort. Thank you for the tips. When the kids were young, we often had swim meets in Salinas and stayed in Asilomar, and just walked the shoreline after dinner. During the day, we could just walk or drive a short distance to the Monterey Bay Aquarium without all the bustle of Monterey. It was very peaceful and relaxing. Enjoy. The monarchs return around November but August through October is ideal.